Next PLC Employee Reviews

Management Need upskilling
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire6 August 2018
Worked here for 3 years and the management expect a lot from you with little thanks in return, If you can't change your hours on a week they become funny with you and alienate you, Temp seasonal staff get treated better.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Starting
Ok
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire3 August 2018
Usually slow days due to nature of the store (home and furniture) but plenty of things to learn about the stock/company and always updating. A lot of customer interaction
Sweat shop!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spalding3 August 2018
The branch was very poorly managed, both managers would individually come and give different instruction, this created much confusion among the workforce, the attitude of managers to staff i can only describe as appalling.
great work place
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester2 August 2018
Not worked at next for a long time but when I did I loved it such a great place to work good discount staff are lovely if I had any worries I could go to the manager with out any hesitation I also loved working with the customers.
Pros
discount
Cons
Haveing to work one day out of the weekend but that goes with any job.
Vile Transport Managmet
transport (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire1 August 2018
nothing wrong with the job its just how badly its run from vile management witch is unfortunately the next vile culture of modern day bulling from the powers of aboth
Pros
jobs ok
Cons
vile envioroment
Busy
Temporary Summer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omagh1 August 2018
I enjoyed working at Next for the Summer Sale. It was a busy time in the shop but it meant that you were never bored. I enjoyed helping people find clothing and shoes in the sizes they wanted, it was a very customer focussed role.
Poor.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Essex1 August 2018
I loved my time at next due to the team of people I worked with.
As a company, and I speak only for the store I worked at over four years. I was overworked and underpaid. I worked more than expected of me and consistently put in overtime, covering shifts on every department at a moments notice. I pushed for every bit of training and experience I could get my hands on and made it clear I was wanting to progress to management.

It is such a shame because I was ready to put my career into next. I had the highest iChain sales in the area and I was consistently top on the sales reports.

I really loved my job, it's just such a shame the company didn't support me the same way I supported them.
Cons
Does not balance home life.
Very busy as Christmas Temp
Temporary Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim31 July 2018
I only worked there for 2 months but in that time I was always on my feet as come Christmas time all staff are always working to completely tag all items and price all clothing for the big sale.
Pros
Good discount (25%)
Cons
Very long unsociable hours
Dont do it!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cumbria30 July 2018
Started out good, like really good(because your new!)
If you don't do extra shifts/longer shifts they don't want to know you.
Always write down your hours as you'll find you don't get paid for what youve worked!
If your face doesn't fit you won't get anywhere
Pros
Discount
Cons
management
Good and bad
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington28 July 2018
I was part of the sales team. The hours fly by as you are able to speak to other members as well as having music on. However, i had aches and pains from doing this job due to going up and down ladders, and from lifting heavy boxes. I thought more training was needed.
I was fortunate to know several people working on my team, but if you didn't know anybody it could be lonely as you don't get introduced to people. You never see the manager or the team leader either.

However, it is a good company to work for. There are benefits.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Sore back
good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Braehead27 July 2018
Its a good place to work for but can be stressful at times. everyone is nice you to have the once that think they are mangers. Its defiantly a good place for young people to make new friends and bring them out there shell if there quiet.
Great wage, and bonus schemes
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex26 July 2018
Very cliquey, hard to break that mold. Friendly management, that you want too work for. Bonus schemes e.g. 15p for retrieving for customer orders under 2 mins.
Pros
Wage, & bonuses
Cons
Cliquey
Very productive job
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  West Sussex26 July 2018
While the job and staff themselves made the job fun, there was little job security and despite asking frequently to become a basal member of staff, I was never contacted again about this. The pay was also very low given the high demand of shifts given and jobs required to do on the job.
Pros
Can select sales items for oneself
Cons
Low job satisfaction
Average
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Swindon25 July 2018
Next was a good company to work for, at the time paid better salaries than most retailers.
Next was selling more expensive than average clothing, the quality and design of their clothing was better and so the atmosphere in the shop was always good, we tried to deliver a very high standard of service to much our product.
Very hierarchal workplace
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  West Sussex25 July 2018
Bad treatment of those who are younger despite doing the same job. Many of the managers talk to you poorly and give extremely lack of respect. Pay is poor and very hard to get days off if needed.
Cons
Long hours, often make you stay later than you're required
Great temp job
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh23 July 2018
The summer sales allow you to gain experience and give you a chance to improve your cv. Perfect for students. Friendly management and a very enjoyable place to work at
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire23 July 2018
The workplace had a friendly team of floor workers which I was proud to be a part of.

Management were generally quite understanding when issues arose, however at times can get stressful whilst the floor is busy with customers.
Pros
Clothing Discounts
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Professional company, friendly atmosphere
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Leicester23 July 2018
Christmas time is very festive in store, makes for a fun workplace with employee mortal teaming building competitions.

No official uniform but smart dress is required, shoes no trainers or jeans.

Work duties can be slow or non-existent at quieter times so the main tasks are to ensure all clothes hangers are facing the right way and general tidying. This can make the job boring if you prefer a consistent workload.

Overall nice professional company to work for, with competitive hourly rates and great benefits including staff discount.
Pros
Competitive wages and great benefits
Cons
Permanent contracts are limited and not regularly available
Could be better.
Temporary Sales Assistance (Former Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire23 July 2018
Worked as a temporary sales assistant, treated amazingly once there but was told that if any free shifts were available I would have been offered them, since leaving Next they have never contacted me or thanked me for my time there.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not good communication
Fun, Productive, Friendly workplace
Team Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Wembley Park Station23 July 2018
A Typical day at next involved positivity, hard work and a drive to sell and make things happen. Each day would be different on the sales floor; helping customers finding the best dress, keeping the sales floor tidy - whilst it being an outlet in London it was very busy and this could be a challenge at times, but a can-do attitude helps a lot!
I learnt how do deal with a customer in a retail fashion and how to meet every different person's needs. I learnt how to use the tills and phones in a retail environment and also scanning stock.
The management at Next was brilliant, every team manager was positive and polite and would explain in depth what was to happen each day - whether it to be regarding stock or sales targets.
The culture at next is very diverse and I think that is what made it such a great place to work, everyone had different personalities but everyone got along, which made it an exciting place of work to get to know each different team member.
The hardest part of the job would be trying to keep a customer calm when it got very busy and they began to get agitated; every customer is different but I learnt that if you have a smile on your face and a positive attitude then the customer enjoys their experience and also understands that there will be a wait.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the different people I met, but working as a team and laughing through the stressful busy periods rather than getting stressed and not wanting to be at work.
Pros
Great staff discounts
Cons
Sometimes breaks are missed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.