Next PLC Pay & Benefits reviews

Repetitive Work, Poor Pay, Bad Management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim18 August 2018
Underpaid big time to deal with customers. £7.38 an hour for over 21 but someone who has worked for a year for Next but only 18 will be on the same hourly pay instead of the minimum wage for that age range. How is that fair? Should be at least £9 an hour now.

Jobs carried out are tedious and repetitive. Little thanks given by management for going above and beyond to complete tasks.
Pros
Possible Bonus dependent on Sales
Cons
Boxing Day Sales
Next Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydenham7 August 2018
At next you are greeted by friendly staff and management which creates a good healthy working environment. the mix of younger and older staff allows for learning and entertainment
Pros
Good team building
Nice place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  cambridge7 August 2018
I worked at the Cambridge Next Store, which was very quiet. At times you could have very little to do. However, the work was fine, not too taxing and the people were lovely. Management was very good as well.
Friendly place to work but no progression
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leeds6 August 2018
- Near minimum wage
- Rarely get any appreciation from management for a job well done, yet they are always encouraging you to improve
- Flexible with shifts - it is easy to sell a shift online to another colleague or pick up extra shifts
- Very demanding place to work during peak trade (sale periods) and there is usually no leeway with doing extra shifts with unsociable hours during this time
Pros
Easy to get shifts, friendly colleagues
Cons
No opportunities for progression, poor wage
next sale
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Blackpool6 August 2018
worked for the next sale. busy but hour break made up for it. good rate of pay and good management as shifts ran smoothly and staff were able to work together efficiently
Pros
good break system, good pay
Cons
very busy in peak times
Very busy as Christmas Temp
Temporary Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim31 July 2018
I only worked there for 2 months but in that time I was always on my feet as come Christmas time all staff are always working to completely tag all items and price all clothing for the big sale.
Pros
Good discount (25%)
Cons
Very long unsociable hours
Dont do it!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cumbria30 July 2018
Started out good, like really good(because your new!)
If you don't do extra shifts/longer shifts they don't want to know you.
Always write down your hours as you'll find you don't get paid for what youve worked!
If your face doesn't fit you won't get anywhere
Pros
Discount
Cons
management
Good and bad
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington28 July 2018
I was part of the sales team. The hours fly by as you are able to speak to other members as well as having music on. However, i had aches and pains from doing this job due to going up and down ladders, and from lifting heavy boxes. I thought more training was needed.
I was fortunate to know several people working on my team, but if you didn't know anybody it could be lonely as you don't get introduced to people. You never see the manager or the team leader either.

However, it is a good company to work for. There are benefits.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Sore back
Great wage, and bonus schemes
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex26 July 2018
Very cliquey, hard to break that mold. Friendly management, that you want too work for. Bonus schemes e.g. 15p for retrieving for customer orders under 2 mins.
Pros
Wage, & bonuses
Cons
Cliquey
Very productive job
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  West Sussex26 July 2018
While the job and staff themselves made the job fun, there was little job security and despite asking frequently to become a basal member of staff, I was never contacted again about this. The pay was also very low given the high demand of shifts given and jobs required to do on the job.
Pros
Can select sales items for oneself
Cons
Low job satisfaction
Average
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Swindon25 July 2018
Next was a good company to work for, at the time paid better salaries than most retailers.
Next was selling more expensive than average clothing, the quality and design of their clothing was better and so the atmosphere in the shop was always good, we tried to deliver a very high standard of service to much our product.
Professional company, friendly atmosphere
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Leicester23 July 2018
Christmas time is very festive in store, makes for a fun workplace with employee mortal teaming building competitions.

No official uniform but smart dress is required, shoes no trainers or jeans.

Work duties can be slow or non-existent at quieter times so the main tasks are to ensure all clothes hangers are facing the right way and general tidying. This can make the job boring if you prefer a consistent workload.

Overall nice professional company to work for, with competitive hourly rates and great benefits including staff discount.
Pros
Competitive wages and great benefits
Cons
Permanent contracts are limited and not regularly available
Could be better.
Temporary Sales Assistance (Former Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire23 July 2018
Worked as a temporary sales assistant, treated amazingly once there but was told that if any free shifts were available I would have been offered them, since leaving Next they have never contacted me or thanked me for my time there.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not good communication
Very low salary for what you do, not worth it
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  North London, Greater London22 July 2018
I started working with next in 2011 as a Christmas help and I made my way up to deputy manager. As a full time deputy manager who's the second person in charge with the amount of workload and stress you have to deal with everyday £18.5k a year salary is a joke. I do regret staying with the company for this long.
Pros
Job Security only if your contract is permanent
Cons
Minimum wage, no appreciation
good place to work
Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol18 July 2018
Working at next is a good job. The hours are well suited and im normally able to have a good work/home life balance.
I started in the stockroom when I fost started to work for the company and have managed to progress slightly through the store and the ranks.
management are good and understanding.
Pros
good discount and uniform allowence
Cons
working christmas sale
Terrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire17 July 2018
Underpaid and overworked
Very unpleasent management
Working unsociable hours with poor pay
management rude
forced to use pay to buy uniform
mandatory working of boxing day, christmas eve and new years day
Pros
25% off
Cons
unsociable hours
Only a day
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa12 July 2018
This job for me was during the sale and was only for a few hours. As well as the low pay, no consideration for future employment for at least a hundred of us was thought of.
Merit Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Leeds9 July 2018
It can get very busy which is good it can make the time go quicker. Could do with more training to move further up the scale. Lots of overtime and great discount.
Pros
Discount
Cons
More training
Great place to work part-time during studies, limited progression in smaller stores
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth9 July 2018
Next is a fantastic company to work for if you are looking for something part-time due to other commitments or if you're starting out your career and looking for a first job. The workplace culture is, in my experience, a great reason to work for Next. It's never too stressful as a junior member of staff and there are a a few good perks to working there, particularly the uniform allowance. I would definitely recommend working for Next if you are in full time education, as they often have many part-time contracts on offer and are quite flexible with hours.
Pros
Great uniform allowance, 25% discount on all clothes and furniture, friendly staff, awesome Christmas parties
Cons
Low pay, little chance of over time, difficult to advance as a long-term career
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London30 June 2018
The mundane work place should be productive somewhat enjoyable. Work place culture should be uplifting, work ethic and moral should be nothing but excellent.
Pros
long hours, free lunch
Cons
bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.