Next PLC Management reviews

Found 1,038 reviews matching the search See all 3,188 reviews
Chelmer village next
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex1 February 2019
So where to start. Management is very poor and they bicker about each other to us staff. We know it all. Things use to be so much better along time ago.
Staff on departments really stick in groups and if your not liked your spoken about behind your back and the lies that are spread is ridiculous!! The people who have been with the company long time need to understand changes!! Far too many get away with a lot and others suffer.
Thankfully with a new employer who in the store it's not about if your liked or not and you all work together maybe things need to change for next!!!
Pros
Easy to get job.
Cons
Expected to do overtime. Forced to stay late. Rude managers and staff
okay to work part time
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Teesside, North Yorkshire11 February 2019
Not many benefits other than flexible working and the pay is good. However I would happily do a lesser paid job than work extra hours in the store... Managers are very biased and there is a lot of favouritism. Its great for a part time job as you are given a fixed contract however job culture is very poor. Always dreaded going into work as everything you do is judged by those who have been there longer than you and think they know it all.
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Managers are very biased. A lot of favouritism
Relaxed environment, management not helpful at all
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen11 February 2019
Management are in their own bubble and will never ask you how you are getting on and then will inform you that you’re underperforming. Mainly friendly staff although some are not very welcoming of new members of stuff and can make it quite challenging in the work place. Pay is average but not really any chance of moving up the ranks. Apart from your induction you won’t be trained on anything else and are just expected to know what to do and if you don’t you’ll just be penalised.
Pros
Majority friendly staff, relaxed environment
Cons
Lazy management, not enough training
Dont work here
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Rotherham15 January 2019
Managers put you in different areas not even training you properly, i never got trained right had to learn stuff from coworkers. Messed my wages up, my manager spoke to me like rubbish every single day i worked, because im young and wanted to scare me. The HHT barely even worked, they wasnt any picking to do and then i was told to pack when i didnt get trained to do packing at that time. I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone especially if you’re under 18 because they treat you like rubbish. This is a job is you are desperate to work.
Pros
Cons
Managers, long hours, shift pattern, everything
Summer Sale Assistant
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon31 December 2018
I loved this job and everyone in the company. I really liked the idea of having an online rota which you could use to pick up extra shifts or to give shifts up, it gave me the opportunity to work shifts I wouldn't usually be working and to gain new skills, for example, I was able to work on delivery one morning. I have gained many new skills that I wouldn't have learnt in my previous jobs, due to the variety of job roles within the company. Next is a great company to work with, the management team were incredible and always friendly.
OK place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire17 December 2018
I've worked here temporarily on a few occasions during sale time and I find the management a bit odd because I'm a temp every time, they make you work like a slave and sometimes you find yourself alone on a till and it's busy and no one comes to help. When your shift is about to finish you will find that anyone you need to tell that you are about to leave goes missing so you end up working extra. On top of that despite the company making so much money they only pay 18 year olds £6.44 per hour and over 25's £7.83 which is really sad. I started when I was 17 last Christmas with the hourly rate of £5.89.

Also they don't offer your benefits such as uniform and first pick from sale.
Pros
Cons
Forced to stay longer
Horrible place to work
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire1 December 2018
I have worked for a few companies but this has to be the worst management are useless and the stupid rules are boardering on a concentration camp you can be dissaplined at the drop of a hat even for talking to much and trying to get holidays off which suit you is terrible to non existent the pay rates are not even good enough to really make people stay the turnover of staff is horrendous maybe due to management jack boot wearing culture
Pros
Cons
Management culture and stupid rules
Would completely avoid
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol25 November 2018
The training is awful, you are thrown in to the deep end- which includes you being the only staff member around, not knowing managers, or anything for that matter.
They employ lots of people on small hour contracts, yet expect you to work like 6 days a week, and the higher up staff members will not take shifts off your rota.
Pay is minimum wage too, all in all terrible to work for.
Pros
Discount and uniform allowance if given to you and explained
Cons
Everything else: pay, training, management
Mixed feelings
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  South Ockendon, Essex20 November 2018
Lots of favouritism, with longer serving staff. Rude, bad mannered staff in the office, who have never been out and experienced real life driving, traffic conditions. Talk amongst themselves in thier own language. Talk to staff as if they are children. Lack of respect, no people skills, high expectations. Expect miracles. Too many pointless rules.
Similar to a concentration camp I would imagine. Gate security staff are jobsworths, who treat you like a criminal, pointless van search, when you get back from driving! As if you Nick something and stash it in the van, that you park up and leave there!
Pros
Going home
Cons
Starting your shift!
Would avoid at all costs
Management (Current Employee) –  Inverness, Highland14 January 2019
Staff are treated differently dependant on if they are ‘in’ with a member of management! A lot of bullying being ignored as people won’t speak out for fear of losing their job or their life being made more difficult! Pay and bonus poor for the workload expected!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Heavy work load, minimum pay, bonus more or less unachievable, break entitlement
Its just another dead end job.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Watford Intu23 October 2018
Work is pretty standard but if you're new, temporary or not in the management's clique you'll be asked to cover unpopular shifts or get move around in other department to tidy up mess left after their own staff gone home. Unfriendly group of workers. Very cliquey. Expect to stay longer after shop closes for any extra work - unpaid. Certain managers' behaviour is unprofessional. Uncomfortable situation sometimes.
Pros
Cons
No team spirit.
Unpleasant workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray14 November 2018
If you are desperate for some cash then it is an easy job (once you figure out for yourself how everything works as the training is terrible). The customers are almost all lovely too.

But you are not paid enough to put up with the management and other members of staff in there. When I worked there the staff were very rude and I heard a lot of them saying horrible things about new people behind their backs. It then makes you wonder what they have said about you.

Staff who have been there for years get away with talking for ages (sometimes up to half an hour) whilst others have to pick up the slack and get told off for even speaking to another colleague.

The staff turnover here is unbelievable too. You'd think they would makes some changes, but no.

Not the place to work if you value your sanity.
Pros
Shift marketplace
Cons
Management, salary
Bad company to work for
STOCKROOM ASSISTANT (HEAD TEAM COACH) (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London5 December 2018
Management are rude every store you go to. They treat you like a slave and do not give you credit for your hard work.
Introduced a bonus scheme for delivery assistants who meets daily target and when you get bonus they put you on disciplinary accusing you of manipulating their bonus system.
Pros
Cons
Bad company
Dark ages, Victorian standards
Driver (Current Employee) –  South Elmsall and South Kirkby11 October 2018
Very strict demarcation, front office staff under strict supervision and instructions not to interact or have banter with drivers, management compliant union, input from drivers not appreciated, planning take no notice of advance warning road closures, routes regularly planned at 9hrs+ driving. Red warning danger to life from met office, no problem, you’ve got to attempt it, the customer expects delivery.
Just average for U.K. road haulage, the driver like the unit and trailer is a resource, and can be replaced with a quick phone call
Pros
Very easy work don’t break into a sweat
Cons
run by accountants for shareholders benefit
Fast paced and productive
Summer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim14 November 2018
Working at the summer sales.
Learned to be fast paced and productive under pressure.
Management were constantly around for support.
Fast paced work culture.
Hardest part of the job was how busy it was because it was a sale but I thrive under pressure.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the customer interaction as I am a people person.
Hgv driver
Hgv class 1 driver (Former Employee) –  South Elmsall, West Yorkshire8 October 2018
Worst man managment place ive ever had the misfortune to work for,mentallity of your only a driver n do it,planning team are a joke and planning you to do 12/13 hour shifts like southshields-washington reload Grantham and theres plenty more like it,dont have no family time morals .can never get holidays when you want them.Glad to get out along with 120 who’s left at other depots along with south elmsall .HORID PLACE KEEP AWAY
Pros
Discount card-share save
Cons
Treat like a slave
bad management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire6 November 2018
the staff are amazing we are like family as for
the management they couldn’t care less you are nothing but a number in their eyes! in my store personally! fake smiles and only nice to you when they want a favour! the benefits have gone down hill not even noticeable in my pay anymore! good job for mums or uni students as flexible.
Cons
not appreciated
Useless Management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thanet District, Kent28 October 2018
Managers are useless there’s no communication got told one thing by one manager then another came and told me I shouldn’t be doing that and told me to do something else, mostly all rude and patronising staff wouldn’t recommend at all, have to pay for your own locker and they’re about the size of a kebab box.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
Useless management
Good first job, lively workplace
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk20 September 2018
I worked on Saturdays and was consistently encouraged by my team leader to complete training courses to improve my skills, therefore I feel this job taught me a lot about retail. However there was often a lack of support directly on the shop floor from the management which sometimes left me unsure what to do.
Pros
Really good system to see/adjust/pick up shifts (Shift Marketplace)
Cons
Lack of management support
Draining and Stressful
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Harlow29 October 2018
I enjoyed my job which mainly included serving customers and replenishing stock however there were politics that I did not agree with. They were very unsupportive when I had health problems and basically told me it was my fault.
Pros
staff discount, access to sale items before sale items went public
Cons
poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.