Next PLC Employee Reviews for Stocking Associate

Found 227 reviews matching the search See all 3,157 reviews
Like being back at school.
Stock Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool4 January 2019
Power happy managers in stock room. Shop floor seemed okay, only there for 6 months. Late working hours and stressful environemt. Not much more to say.
Use as stepping stone and move on
Stock assistant (Current Employee) –  West Midlands13 December 2018
Stock/delivery assistant

All the work you do and the time you take to do it is monitored through a productivity system. This productivity system also determines your bonus but more on this later.

So for example, an 8 hour shift with 30min unpaid break, you need to be on the delivery system for 7hours 30 min.

How does this work?

You come in to work, you clock in and then get told what delivery you're processing. This can be anything from home dept to kidswear.

You grab the tubs/rails/pallets of stock for the relevant stock and you are then required to scan the stock on to a workstation you're assigned to. Eg If I'm processing kidwear, I will have to scan tubs of stock onto Kids 1 workstation etc. The tubs will give you time on a workstation depending on how full they are.

So for a 7.5 hour shift, you need to scan about 5.5-6 hours worth of stock on to your work station, This will give you 1.5-2 hours to put the stock away or on to the shopfloor once you've processed.

That means for the next 6 hours or so, you're stood in one spot pulling packaging off items and then tagging, hanging and size cubing items.

The bonus depends on how productive you are or how much stock you process. So if you do the bare minimum as I've mentioned above and just process 6 hours worth of stock, assuming the store is hitting sales and customer service targets, you will get around 50p/hour.

The company however now expects you to do a lot more though, so you will be expected to train new starters (who drag your productivity down and therefore your bonus), drag deliveries in
  more... which means using knackered pump trucks, working in wet/windy/cold conditions in delivery yards and other silly things like build furniture and do stock takes and sale prep through they year. Even if these events fall on non contracted days, many managers will still rota you in even if you're unavailable and if you challenge them, they reply "needs of the business".

All this for a basic pay of 7.83/hour

The delivery bonus is a joke as the company keeps upping the base productivity target whilst decreasing bonus.

The pension scheme is a joke as every new starter is now on the peoples pension as the company has closed their own scheme.

In my opinion, the stores have no future and once the bean counters at Endersby figure out how to get all the customer parcels out without going through the stores, you'll see a mass store shutdown. The parcel/directory business is where Next makes money.

My advice, only work for this company if it is your first job. Get some experience, learn what you can and then get out.

Whilst I'm still contracted, I now work for the NHS where even though the conditions aren't much better, there is a work life balance AND I'm earning more than some managers at my store.
Pros
25% discount with 75% off uniform. Non management colleagues
Cons
Rotas, store managers, benefits constantly eroded, pay, expectations
fun workplace, suitable hours
Stock Room/Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear19 November 2018
very understanding people. management are lovely and very helpful. work around me which is great. always on hand to help. all people who work here are so friendly and welcoming.
Lots of opportunities
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham18 October 2018
I worked as stockroom assistant a few years ago, and it was my first paid job. In my opinion, it was the perfect start to working life as everyone was extremely friendly and helpful.
Temporary job
STOCKROOM AND FLOOR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Rushmere8 October 2018
From what I experienced I gathered that this is a good place to work as all the staff were friendly and the management team where easy to get along with. Unfortunately I was not kept on after the temporary period even though I expected not to be.
Pros
Staff easy to get along with, work is not difficult
Cons
Very busy job
Not a nice place to work
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran, Monmouthshire5 October 2018
Working at Next isn't great, as there are many people who are rude working there and customers (some nice ones). Unrealistic targets that cause problems in the group towards you. Bad training and no help given. They tell you to ask for help but this puts most people in a bad mood with you and rush through showing you what to do. If you need to be in before the store is open, most people will see you at the door or hear the doorbell and ignore you.

The only good bit I can say is that they have an online system to book time off, pick up more shifts and offer a shift.

Christmas time is worse than usual. Work at 6am on Boxing day to be treated like most people think they're better than you. Christmas Eve was until late evening, management and some employees have a go at you for asking a simple question. Not a nice place to work.

I would not recommend working here. Constantly get talked down to by most people. Have your hours constantly cancelled and have less than you are contracted to or none at all.
Pros
Online system
Cons
Hours taken off you, people and training.
horrible management
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Handforth, Cheshire2 October 2018
left due to abuse from management. was constantly reminded of the work hierarchy and was never treated as equals, even when having a laugh in the break room. would rate 0/5 if I could.
Fun place to work
Next - Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford City Centre, Oxfordshire26 September 2018
It is a fun place to work until something goes wrong then it will be your fault and never the managements fault they like to blame the staff and you never get a thank you until you get your bonus but even that's a struggle to get
Pros
In a prime location
Cons
Can only wear cloths from their stores as uniform
Temporary position
Temporary Stock Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross Station17 September 2018
The people were nice to work with and very welcoming. I was only working for next for a short period of time and it was over 15 years ago. It was a professional environment to work in
great work place
STOCK ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester6 September 2018
great place to work staff are friendly if you get the right ones new things everyday sales hard part of the job meals out for xmas or when anybody leaves
Cons
breaks not long enough

Want to know more about Next PLC?

Ask a question
Could be a better place to work
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loughton22 August 2018
Job was monotonous and boring. Although it gave me the opportunity to learn practical skills within the workplace, its repetitive nature was somewhat uninspiring
Simple
Stockroom Assistant (temporary) (Former Employee) –  London15 July 2018
The job was very simple to perform, basic stock organising , labelling and shelving was what i had to do during my temporary shifts. The staff were professional.
Pros
Proffesional staff
Cons
No extra shifts were offered.
Tough hours, poor management of store as a whole.
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire12 July 2018
Grateful for the experience it taught me and the friends I made there however the store was poorly managed and their was constant complaining from each of the staff members. Someone had always got a problem with someone else and the pressure put on certain departments was unfair in comparison to others.
Good
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland2 July 2018
Good part time job sorting stock from the lorry and making sure it gets onto the shopfloor quickly and efficiently. Working as part of a team and also on your own.
Stock Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 June 2018
i had to count stock and put it in its correct place , i would also have to put the stock out in its correct place on the shop floor . we got 30% discount .
Fun place to work
Stockroom Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury15 June 2018
Everyone is always friendly and accommodating which believe me can be a hard thing to come across in retail as most people are out for themselves.

Some people might struggle with the fast pace and being on their feet all day so give it some thought before applying. Awesome place to work as a temp over the summer or Christmas holidays.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Long hours over sale periods
Bullies
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham8 June 2018
They expected you to just do your tiny contract and then jump when sale came up and when you refused they made your life working life awful.
Managers were bullies towards staff and some staff were bullies to others and a blind eye was turned.

STAY AWAY
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Little contracts
Next - Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff31 May 2018
Was a great place to work, and offer good flexibility for hours so you can fit your social life around it. The staff working were all pleasant and there was a good atmosphere
Pros
atmosphere
Cons
busy
Awful place to work (Stockroom - Nights)
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  London13 May 2018
A terrible place to work and would not recommend to anyone. No proper training given with awful management. Pathetic new scanning system which requires you to scan the same rail twice, only God knows why. Managers never have anything sorted out when you start your shift, so you spend time looking around for hangers, tags, pins, cubes etc. However you are still expected to work super fast and be on target, utterly ridiculous. Wage is also quite low for a night shift job and the bonus system is the most ludicrous I have ever come across. The managers make an attempt to give a pitiful explanation of how it works, it makes no sense. Job can be very taxing on your body, at the store where I worked the lift was broken and we were required to carry heavy bulks of clothing up numerous stairs for at least 2-3 days. You are simply not appreciated for the work you put in and I found that very demoralizing. Save yourself the stress and do not work here.
Pros
Cons
Awful management, terrible scanning system, Low wage for night shifts
So bad
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire2 May 2018
Booked three weeks off for a holiday when I started and they then told me a day before that it hadn’t been booked and I was expected to work. The computer shift booking system automatically signs you up for shifts you don’t want and as I was working another job at this point as well, I was forced to choose between next and my other work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.