Next PLC Employee Reviews for Sales Consultant

Learning Workplace
Sales Consultant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  London, haringey20 September 2018
Great place to gain new experiences in! Perfect for a first job especially for students as it can be flexible.

Management are very organised and make sure all staff are up to date with the changes within the store.

I was able to develop my communications skills as well gained various new skills whilst working at Next, for example I had gained; banking skills (whilst working on tills), problem solving skills (dealing with customer complaints or needs), customer service skills (communicating with customers), Team working skills (being able to bring ideas forward amongst colleagues and Managers), time management (arriving to work on time) and lastly I was able to gain leadership skills (making sure everyone feels comfortable and supporting others in bringing ideas forward with confidence).

The hardest part of the job is facing different types of customers, for example difficult customers. However, I was able to learn ways in which I am able to make sure the customer is satisfied with their experience whilst purchasing a product and is always leaving the store happy with the needs I am able to assist them with.

As well as dealing with difficult customers can be the hardest part of the job, it had also been the most enjoyable part of the job to meet new faces everyday and being able to help others has always kept me positive!
Pros
Discounts
great place, horrible management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey15 September 2018
the people/colleagues were great and very accommodating to new people, but its very common for the management to employ people under the pretence of a perm contract but only end up offering temp.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
contracts
A typical day at work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Derry, County Londonderry11 September 2018
Customer service was always at the heart of Next. Our customer service was regularly reviewed and indeed there was a bonus incentive scheme to encourage this.
fantastic
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow25 August 2018
it was fun the manager was more of a colleague than a boss he gave me a lot of knowledge at work and also in life in general excellent bantar best retail company to work for.
Repetitive Work, Poor Pay, Bad Management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim18 August 2018
Underpaid big time to deal with customers. £7.38 an hour for over 21 but someone who has worked for a year for Next but only 18 will be on the same hourly pay instead of the minimum wage for that age range. How is that fair? Should be at least £9 an hour now.

Jobs carried out are tedious and repetitive. Little thanks given by management for going above and beyond to complete tasks.
Pros
Possible Bonus dependent on Sales
Cons
Boxing Day Sales
Fun Workplace
Next - Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes16 August 2018
I had many responsibilities whilst working at Next. For example:
Use specialised product knowledge to assist customers in designated store;
Identifying and responding to customer needs;
Locating specific items for shoppers;
Priced merchandise;
Distributed stock to shop floor;
Worked well as a team whilst under pressure;
Maintained clear area policy.
I was also able to meet and work with such an amazing team.
Standard Retail
Temporary Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough9 August 2018
Normal working environment, very wide range of skills required and new ones to develop and learn, challenging and hard work especially at busy times of the year.
It was ok as a temporary position
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes7 August 2018
I worked at next in my gap year before heading off to university. It was ok for a job that I knew was going to be temporary but I wouldn't have wanted to work there longer than I did. In the amount of time I worked there, almost all the sales consultants left which gives me the idea that it's not a long term job for most people. Some of the managers were lovely but equally some were awful if you didn't happen to be their favourite employee. Shifts were also occasionally given very last minute meaning that planning any social events in advance was nearly impossible. Customers were sometimes very rude but I guess that comes with any retail job. Sales day was awful to work, especially on boxing day. Overall, it was ok but certainly wasn't my ideal job
Pros
Seeing shifts online, picking up extra shifts was very easy, reasonably easy job, some of the staff were lovely
Cons
Pay wasn't great, favouritism with some managers, working at 4am/5am on sales day, working boxing day and Christmas eve, poor work/life balance
Friendly place to work but no progression
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leeds6 August 2018
- Near minimum wage
- Rarely get any appreciation from management for a job well done, yet they are always encouraging you to improve
- Flexible with shifts - it is easy to sell a shift online to another colleague or pick up extra shifts
- Very demanding place to work during peak trade (sale periods) and there is usually no leeway with doing extra shifts with unsociable hours during this time
Pros
Easy to get shifts, friendly colleagues
Cons
No opportunities for progression, poor wage
Ok
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire3 August 2018
Usually slow days due to nature of the store (home and furniture) but plenty of things to learn about the stock/company and always updating. A lot of customer interaction

Want to know more about Next PLC?

Ask a question
Poor.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Essex1 August 2018
I loved my time at next due to the team of people I worked with.
As a company, and I speak only for the store I worked at over four years. I was overworked and underpaid. I worked more than expected of me and consistently put in overtime, covering shifts on every department at a moments notice. I pushed for every bit of training and experience I could get my hands on and made it clear I was wanting to progress to management.

It is such a shame because I was ready to put my career into next. I had the highest iChain sales in the area and I was consistently top on the sales reports.

I really loved my job, it's just such a shame the company didn't support me the same way I supported them.
Cons
Does not balance home life.
Great wage, and bonus schemes
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex26 July 2018
Very cliquey, hard to break that mold. Friendly management, that you want too work for. Bonus schemes e.g. 15p for retrieving for customer orders under 2 mins.
Pros
Wage, & bonuses
Cons
Cliquey
Great temp job
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh23 July 2018
The summer sales allow you to gain experience and give you a chance to improve your cv. Perfect for students. Friendly management and a very enjoyable place to work at
Professional company, friendly atmosphere
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Leicester23 July 2018
Christmas time is very festive in store, makes for a fun workplace with employee mortal teaming building competitions.

No official uniform but smart dress is required, shoes no trainers or jeans.

Work duties can be slow or non-existent at quieter times so the main tasks are to ensure all clothes hangers are facing the right way and general tidying. This can make the job boring if you prefer a consistent workload.

Overall nice professional company to work for, with competitive hourly rates and great benefits including staff discount.
Pros
Competitive wages and great benefits
Cons
Permanent contracts are limited and not regularly available
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 July 2018
A typical day would vary depending on what role you were given. Normally you would ensure the shop floor was safe for the customers and clothing items were replenished for the day ahead. You would process customer deliveries.
Hardest part of job was during sale season, alot of work.
Most enjoyable was meeting new people daily.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
if shop not busy, very boring
Merit Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Leeds9 July 2018
It can get very busy which is good it can make the time go quicker. Could do with more training to move further up the scale. Lots of overtime and great discount.
Pros
Discount
Cons
More training
Great place to work part-time during studies, limited progression in smaller stores
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth9 July 2018
Next is a fantastic company to work for if you are looking for something part-time due to other commitments or if you're starting out your career and looking for a first job. The workplace culture is, in my experience, a great reason to work for Next. It's never too stressful as a junior member of staff and there are a a few good perks to working there, particularly the uniform allowance. I would definitely recommend working for Next if you are in full time education, as they often have many part-time contracts on offer and are quite flexible with hours.
Pros
Great uniform allowance, 25% discount on all clothes and furniture, friendly staff, awesome Christmas parties
Cons
Low pay, little chance of over time, difficult to advance as a long-term career
Productive and engaging
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bletchley3 July 2018
The day is busy and there is always stuff to do. Management are there to help when you need. Sometimes the rush of customers can be overwhelming especially at Christmas. But I learned to work faster and independently.
Positive Work Experience
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey19 June 2018
Very much a positive work environment which helped me learn independently but also provide assistance when needed. Allowed me to work in all aspects of the store including stock room. Very friendly atmosphere.
Fast paced enviroment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bolton15 June 2018
Hours are very flexible and you can pick up any extra hours and can also offer up your own shifts if needed. it is a very fast-paced environment. The discount is really good though
Pros
Discount
Cons
Working sale

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Next PLC Reviews by Location