Next PLC Employee Reviews for Sales Consultant

Standard Retail
Temporary Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough9 August 2018
Normal working environment, very wide range of skills required and new ones to develop and learn, challenging and hard work especially at busy times of the year.
Friendly place to work but no progression
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Leeds6 August 2018
- Near minimum wage
- Rarely get any appreciation from management for a job well done, yet they are always encouraging you to improve
- Flexible with shifts - it is easy to sell a shift online to another colleague or pick up extra shifts
- Very demanding place to work during peak trade (sale periods) and there is usually no leeway with doing extra shifts with unsociable hours during this time
Pros
Easy to get shifts, friendly colleagues
Cons
No opportunities for progression, poor wage
Ok
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire3 August 2018
Usually slow days due to nature of the store (home and furniture) but plenty of things to learn about the stock/company and always updating. A lot of customer interaction
Poor.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Essex1 August 2018
I loved my time at next due to the team of people I worked with.
As a company, and I speak only for the store I worked at over four years. I was overworked and underpaid. I worked more than expected of me and consistently put in overtime, covering shifts on every department at a moments notice. I pushed for every bit of training and experience I could get my hands on and made it clear I was wanting to progress to management.

It is such a shame because I was ready to put my career into next. I had the highest iChain sales in the area and I was consistently top on the sales reports.

I really loved my job, it's just such a shame the company didn't support me the same way I supported them.
Cons
Does not balance home life.
Great wage, and bonus schemes
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex26 July 2018
Very cliquey, hard to break that mold. Friendly management, that you want too work for. Bonus schemes e.g. 15p for retrieving for customer orders under 2 mins.
Pros
Wage, & bonuses
Cons
Cliquey
Great temp job
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh23 July 2018
The summer sales allow you to gain experience and give you a chance to improve your cv. Perfect for students. Friendly management and a very enjoyable place to work at
Professional company, friendly atmosphere
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Leicester23 July 2018
Christmas time is very festive in store, makes for a fun workplace with employee mortal teaming building competitions.

No official uniform but smart dress is required, shoes no trainers or jeans.

Work duties can be slow or non-existent at quieter times so the main tasks are to ensure all clothes hangers are facing the right way and general tidying. This can make the job boring if you prefer a consistent workload.

Overall nice professional company to work for, with competitive hourly rates and great benefits including staff discount.
Pros
Competitive wages and great benefits
Cons
Permanent contracts are limited and not regularly available
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 July 2018
A typical day would vary depending on what role you were given. Normally you would ensure the shop floor was safe for the customers and clothing items were replenished for the day ahead. You would process customer deliveries.
Hardest part of job was during sale season, alot of work.
Most enjoyable was meeting new people daily.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
if shop not busy, very boring
Merit Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Leeds9 July 2018
It can get very busy which is good it can make the time go quicker. Could do with more training to move further up the scale. Lots of overtime and great discount.
Pros
Discount
Cons
More training
Great place to work part-time during studies, limited progression in smaller stores
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth9 July 2018
Next is a fantastic company to work for if you are looking for something part-time due to other commitments or if you're starting out your career and looking for a first job. The workplace culture is, in my experience, a great reason to work for Next. It's never too stressful as a junior member of staff and there are a a few good perks to working there, particularly the uniform allowance. I would definitely recommend working for Next if you are in full time education, as they often have many part-time contracts on offer and are quite flexible with hours.
Pros
Great uniform allowance, 25% discount on all clothes and furniture, friendly staff, awesome Christmas parties
Cons
Low pay, little chance of over time, difficult to advance as a long-term career
Productive and engaging
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bletchley3 July 2018
The day is busy and there is always stuff to do. Management are there to help when you need. Sometimes the rush of customers can be overwhelming especially at Christmas. But I learned to work faster and independently.
Positive Work Experience
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey19 June 2018
Very much a positive work environment which helped me learn independently but also provide assistance when needed. Allowed me to work in all aspects of the store including stock room. Very friendly atmosphere.
Fast paced enviroment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bolton15 June 2018
Hours are very flexible and you can pick up any extra hours and can also offer up your own shifts if needed. it is a very fast-paced environment. The discount is really good though
Pros
Discount
Cons
Working sale
Stay for the staff than the job.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bristol10 June 2018
Working at next has gained me some fantastic friends whom i take with onto my next job.
Working for next has been challenging at the best of times, they do not understand or consider availability when putting you in for shifts- they also apparently 'forget' you've ever told them.
They don't seem to understand the concept of part time staff nor respect how others want to move up the ranks.
As a company next are not good to work for, the money is low, for what is expected they should pay for uniform and make things easier for their staff.
Pros
The people
Cons
They dont care
Fun, but at times boring
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey5 June 2018
Nice group of employees and the managers were nice
Sometimes the job was a little boring if the shop was not busy
Lunch break was short.
I learnt how to deal with difficult customers.
Working during the boxing day sales was a great experience as developed certain skills further such as management, working under pressure, communication, teamwork and others
Pros
Store discount, friendship
Enjoyable workplace
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Sydenham30 May 2018
Next is a really great company to work for. The structure and management of the company enables you to feel like you're part of a team; there is always the opportunity to work in other areas such as stockroom as well as additional development and training.
Good place to work but with little room to advance
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex25 May 2018
Work on the daily basis went well and all staff members were nice. However, everything was very unorganised when it cam got emerging two stores together. We didn't know if we were suppose to be looking for other jobs or if our own ones were secure. They have a great scheme to get there previous employees back if they were to apply. Since I left I have learnt of more benefits which have come into play, including bonuses if you encourage people to shop online. Much like another retail job the work is very much the same and unless someone leaves there isn't much room for advancements. Sales periods were stressful with the amount of customers and the mess they made but when the other staff member work well together it runs very smoothly.
Fun workplace
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire17 May 2018
Enjoyed interacting with different customers on a daily basis. Great opportunity to understand what happens behinds the scenes of a reputable high street retailer.
Retail...
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Devon11 May 2018
Take in stock, put it on a hanger, put it on the rack, repeat.

Not a skilled job, but good pocket money. The people you work with make the job bearable.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Slow career progression but worth it if that is your career choice.
Brilliant work Environment
sales consultant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 April 2018
There is room for development, staff are willing to help each other if you're unsure of anything. Management team is lovely and there is plenty of flexible hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Next PLC Reviews by Location