Next PLC Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 1,057 reviews matching the search See all 3,153 reviews
Unpleasant workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray14 November 2018
If you are desperate for some cash then it is an easy job (once you figure out for yourself how everything works as the training is terrible). The customers are almost all lovely too.

But you are not paid enough to put up with the management and other members of staff in there. When I worked there the staff were very rude and I heard a lot of them saying horrible things about new people behind their backs. It then makes you wonder what they have said about you.

Staff who have been there for years get away with talking for ages (sometimes up to half an hour) whilst others have to pick up the slack and get told off for even speaking to another colleague.

The staff turnover here is unbelievable too. You'd think they would makes some changes, but no.

Not the place to work if you value your sanity.
Pros
Shift marketplace
Cons
Management, salary
OK place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire17 December 2018
I've worked here temporarily on a few occasions during sale time and I find the management a bit odd because I'm a temp every time, they make you work like a slave and sometimes you find yourself alone on a till and it's busy and no one comes to help. When your shift is about to finish you will find that anyone you need to tell that you are about to leave goes missing so you end up working extra. On top of that despite the company making so much money they only pay 18 year olds £6.44 per hour and over 25's £7.83 which is really sad. I started when I was 17 last Christmas with the hourly rate of £5.89.

Also they don't offer your benefits such as uniform and first pick from sale.
Pros
Cons
Forced to stay longer
Would not recommend
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray15 October 2018
The job itself is fine, talking to customers, doing returns picking up parcels etc.

However,
Manager's felt they were above the staff, no respect given whatsoever. Very short breaks, uniform policy is a hassle and they give you no support when you're new. Clear favouritism within the manager's and staff.
Sales are unorganized and you have to work Christmas Eve and boxing day sales where you must be up extremely early and you can't enjoy your Christmas day. They change your rota all the time and last minute and extend or reduce your hours without asking and if you do say you can't work a shift they are not very accomodating. There are many more issues, that just scratches the surface. So many staff leave after a short period of time. And there are many reasons why and they don't care to make changes.

Overall I would not recommend to work there to anyone.
Pros
Talking to customers, easy to pick up shifts, easy job
Cons
Long hours, short breaks, no respect from management
Fast paced and productive
Summer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim14 November 2018
Working at the summer sales.
Learned to be fast paced and productive under pressure.
Management were constantly around for support.
Fast paced work culture.
Hardest part of the job was how busy it was because it was a sale but I thrive under pressure.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the customer interaction as I am a people person.
bad management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire6 November 2018
the staff are amazing we are like family as for
the management they couldn’t care less you are nothing but a number in their eyes! in my store personally! fake smiles and only nice to you when they want a favour! the benefits have gone down hill not even noticeable in my pay anymore! good job for mums or uni students as flexible.
Cons
not appreciated
Modern place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2018
I would serve and approach customers on the shopfloor meeting their need and expectations I learned about the basics of customers service and teamwork the management was very helpful and friendly and the culture was calm and well mannered, the hardest part was working during busy periods and the most most enjoyable part was serving customers as they came into the store.
Pros
Calm working environment
Cons
Busy sale period
a very productive, fun and helpful workplace/workforce
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend14 October 2018
Next are amazing to work for, everybody is so friendly, fun, co-operative and understanding. I've learnt some new skills whilst I have worked for next - such as learning how to place home and store deliveries effectively and thoroughly, and my team have been a massive help in speeding up the process.
management always strive to keep staff happy, keep customers happy and keep the business running smoothly and prove to be very effective in doing so. management also work very hard o ensure that all bodies are satisfied and content at work.
the hardest part of the job would be to get every job done written down in the job list and keep on top of recovery when the floor as it's busiest for the day, despite that; the most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting new customers and hearing about their day to day lives or some crazy stories they may want to share with us.
Pros
fun workforce
Cons
not enough hours
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London30 June 2018
The mundane work place should be productive somewhat enjoyable. Work place culture should be uplifting, work ethic and moral should be nothing but excellent.
Pros
long hours, free lunch
Cons
bad management
Would completely avoid
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol25 November 2018
The training is awful, you are thrown in to the deep end- which includes you being the only staff member around, not knowing managers, or anything for that matter.
They employ lots of people on small hour contracts, yet expect you to work like 6 days a week, and the higher up staff members will not take shifts off your rota.
Pay is minimum wage too, all in all terrible to work for.
Pros
Discount and uniform allowance if given to you and explained
Cons
Everything else: pay, training, management
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire23 July 2018
The workplace had a friendly team of floor workers which I was proud to be a part of.

Management were generally quite understanding when issues arose, however at times can get stressful whilst the floor is busy with customers.
Pros
Clothing Discounts
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Next Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydenham7 August 2018
At next you are greeted by friendly staff and management which creates a good healthy working environment. the mix of younger and older staff allows for learning and entertainment
Pros
Good team building
Useless Management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thanet District, Kent28 October 2018
Managers are useless there’s no communication got told one thing by one manager then another came and told me I shouldn’t be doing that and told me to do something else, mostly all rude and patronising staff wouldn’t recommend at all, have to pay for your own locker and they’re about the size of a kebab box.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
Useless management
Bad Management, Unproductive, Profit making company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wednesfield, West Midlands27 August 2018
Embarrassing place to work. Treat their staff like dirt. Won't let the staff work over 16hrs a week. Only promote to staff to those who's face fits. Management couldn't run if they tried.

Children's-wear manager was rude but used to cry to get attention a sign of weakness if you asked me.
Another member of the staff on the home department, was her best-friend. Both snakes if you asked me.
Pros
25% discount. But not on sale stuff.
Cons
everything
Good and bad
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington28 July 2018
I was part of the sales team. The hours fly by as you are able to speak to other members as well as having music on. However, i had aches and pains from doing this job due to going up and down ladders, and from lifting heavy boxes. I thought more training was needed.
I was fortunate to know several people working on my team, but if you didn't know anybody it could be lonely as you don't get introduced to people. You never see the manager or the team leader either.

However, it is a good company to work for. There are benefits.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Sore back
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  London7 June 2018
Putting the right size clothing on the right sized hangers.
Learn to go extra mile for the customer
management was up to speed with rota
enjoyable to work with friendly and bubbly people
hardest part of the job is the long hours
most fun part of the job was the people you meet
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds18 October 2018
Helping customers with their shopping. Help and support with putting outfits together.
Management was ok, helped with progression in my role.
most enjoyable part was working with colleagues that were supportive
Standard place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London18 December 2018
Working at Next was not the best experience which I ever had.
Always short staffed and very difficult to serve all customers during busy working hours.
Management always talking down to members of staff.
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckton5 October 2018
working here is fun because the people here are nice and that is important. the staff and management are so friendly and understanding. if you need help, there will always be someone to help you.
stressful but enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Wales10 October 2018
Had a bit of difficulty with management while I worked there, staff are scary at first but all really friendly. Loved working here and gaining experience... nightmare when short staffed!
Pros
online rota makes it easy to swap shifts
Cons
working everyday
fun for young people
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Bullring, West Midlands5 January 2019
Its a decent job to have for your first job. The people there were very friendly and more than happy to help you. the management were very good on menswear.
Pros
employee/family discount
Cons
hard to progress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.