Next PLC Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 122 reviews matching the search See all 3,096 reviews
Fun
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire12 November 2018
My work experience included working during the busy and hectic summer sales which is when my professional and well organized talents came alight......
Bad management, poor pay for the hours, overworked
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 August 2018
Work so many hours with little pay, worked on departments I wasn’t trained in, both my managers were horrible one of them didn’t even know my name for gods sake and the other one was so rude when I had time off in hospital, same boring tasks over and over again, no praise for doing a good job ever and you work your bum off, even the staff looked unhappy or were unhappy, worst job I’ve ever done in my life, I dreaded going to work everyday, Boxing Day sale was the worst thing I’ve ever experienced please I beg anyone do not work here you will hate it and this is the Fort shopping park store in Birmingham I can’t describe the other stores but imagine the same
Pros
Benefits and discounts
Cons
Long hours, little pay
Bullying culture, pay is terrible, hours are terrible, they treat workers like dirt
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Metrocentre, Gateshead12 August 2018
Metrocentre store:

There is a culture of bullying from management, they have their favorites, who are all either related to them or are the kids who never do any work.

One of the top managers is in a relationship with the stockroom manager and all of their children and children's partners work in the same store. It's like a mafia where that family does no work as they obviously have the security of management family, and everyone else has to pick up their slack. People are victimized for not being related to management and blamed for things they haven't done, or things they have done exactly the same as management's family.

Shifts will be cancelled all the time, sometimes with only a few hours notice, sometimes they don't bother telling you at all. They expect favours, for you to be available 24/7, but they wont give you enough hours to keep a roof over your head.

Your uniform must be current season stock and you're expected to buy new clothes all of the time as new lines are added monthly, You get 75% discount on uniform but with the amount you have to buy it gets expensive. Adults must have managers permission to buy anything as uniform, but nothing is said about the kids wearing different brands.

I've been working 6 days a week, mostly 12 hour shifts and still can barely afford to pay my bills. When they let you pick up a shift that is more than 5 hours they make half the day your break so you're not earning any extra money, you're working for free for half a day. There's been times where people have done a 3 hour shift and been given a half hour break
  more... as next don't want to pay you.

Like it tends to happen in retail it's very clique-y, you're either part of the gang or they make your time there terrible.

Only apply here if you're a young student, have no responsibilities and don't mind being treated like dirt from management and customers alike.
Pros
25% staff discount, good clothes.
Cons
bad pay, bad hours, can't make a living
Very busy as Christmas Temp
Temporary Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim31 July 2018
I only worked there for 2 months but in that time I was always on my feet as come Christmas time all staff are always working to completely tag all items and price all clothing for the big sale.
Pros
Good discount (25%)
Cons
Very long unsociable hours
Good work place
Retail sales assistance (Current Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester25 May 2018
Positive atmosphere, polite members, work as a family instead of work colleagues. The store is very welcoming and all members of staff are happy to help always.
experienced low moral within staff culture
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff25 May 2018
worked with a temporary contract, enjoyed the weeks I worked there but the staff seemed to have a low moral . The hours seemed long and they often complained about the holiday periods and sale times. i enjoyed my time there and the staff were mainly helpful.
seasonal vacancy
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire7 April 2018
I worked during a seasonal vacancy within the company, management were good and staff worked well as a team. However, job just wasn't for me to go on as a full time member of staff
Loved working here!
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast1 February 2018
I really enjoyed my time here. I loved working with all the staff who were friendly and really helpful when I needed some assistance. I learned a lot during my time here for example, how the markdown works during the sale, how to work the till, how to locate stock within the stockroom and how deliveries and pick-ups work. The most enjoyable part of this job for me, was meeting new people and seeing my confidence grow.
Pros
Amazing staff
great management and perks
Sales or retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Havant1 February 2018
I worked in the Havant Next store for over a year and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. All the staff and managers were very friendly and helpful and made me feel very comfortable working in a retail environment.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester6 January 2018
It was a great place to work and loved being there. A typical day would be busy, management was good, hardest part of the job is all the standing up..
enjoyed every minute
Store Assistant team coach (Former Employee) –  Derby4 January 2018
I really enjoyed working for next. they where always so supportive even witht he littlest of problems and made sure you always succeeded. always gave everyone a good chance to go further with their career
Pros
staff discount
Cons
working boxing day
loved working here
Store Assistant team coach (Former Employee) –  Derby4 January 2018
such a good place to work also so flexible with me when needed childcare. always kept up to date with new things and always made sure everyone was ok.
Pros
lovely staff
Cons
working boxing day
Great
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton28 December 2017
I worked in market place and honestly it was the best experience. All the staff members were friendly and easy to work with. The manager was the sweetest. The job is not even that hard and the payment is very good.
Fun and productive
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering3 November 2017
Next was a lovely place to work for a short period of time due to it only being a Christmas contract. The staff were very welcoming and polite, would recommend the place for someone else to apply
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Great for students.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield30 October 2017
Flexible hours, advising customers on products. Busy at peak periods. Great for students and working parents. Hardest part of the job is starting at 5am on Boxing Day.
Fun, enjoyable.
Storeroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset14 October 2017
Only spent around 8 months working for Next until I moved on to another Job. Great atmosphere, good money for the age i was when working, Being left to work alone and having the responsibility to do so.
Not good
Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 October 2017
Terrible management, chucked in with absolutely no training or product knowledge, Management always expect high demands to be met but then be angry when you don't have the training to do so e.g. need workers on tills but half the staff have not been till trained.
Pros
Other staff can make the long shifts bearable / fun co workers
Cons
Long hours usually, poor management
Majority of lovely staff
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 September 2017
As much as the staff were lovely, there were one or two in the workplace who, despite having the same job title as me, believed that they could take out any problems on the seasonal staff. I'd like to mention that all the managers were absolutely lovely, I don't have a single complaint about any of them and the majority of staff would take time to help you if you needed it. Overall next had a great sense of community within the shop, it just takes some to ruin it.
Pros
Lovely Staff, good break area
Productive and fun work place
Store Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire16 September 2017
A typical day involves answering the phone to customers and assisting them

I learned not to be afraid to ask for help if I needed to

Next believe in ensuring the best possible service to their customers is provided but also that every member of staff is also looked after
productive and fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro31 August 2017
• Stock taking and replenishment
• Keeping the store clean and tidy
• Advising, assisting and being accommodating to customers
• Night-time and holiday working
Pros
working within a fun team
Cons
shift patterns

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.