Next PLC Employee Reviews

Found 2,906 reviews matching the search See all 3,112 reviews
Good workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shropshire6 December 2018
Good workplace, supportive colleagues, good staff benefits scheme and staff discount card to spend in store. Home store or clothing store. Good and regular working hours.
Bad company to work for
STOCKROOM ASSISTANT (HEAD TEAM COACH) (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London5 December 2018
Management are rude every store you go to. They treat you like a slave and do not give you credit for your hard work.
Introduced a bonus scheme for delivery assistants who meets daily target and when you get bonus they put you on disciplinary accusing you of manipulating their bonus system.
Pros
Cons
Bad company
Boring workplace
Picker (Former Employee) –  Pontefract3 December 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting a job in different locations , having the save row and doing nothing different and not interacting with anyone can get quite boring. The workplace was nice and clean apart from on the trolleys everyone would just resverve them when it’s not allowed so more things are being thrown all over and lost.I learned how it was in a warehouse work environment and how to pick and put away in the warehouse situation.
Pros
Discount on lunches
Producitve
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, UK2 December 2018
Helping people to find clothes was nice because when they found items they liked they were happy. I enjoyed working here as I developed and expanded on my customer service skills.
Horrible place to work
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire1 December 2018
I have worked for a few companies but this has to be the worst management are useless and the stupid rules are boardering on a concentration camp you can be dissaplined at the drop of a hat even for talking to much and trying to get holidays off which suit you is terrible to non existent the pay rates are not even good enough to really make people stay the turnover of staff is horrendous maybe due to management jack boot wearing culture
Pros
Cons
Management culture and stupid rules
Dreadful place
Home Team Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire28 November 2018
Management were psychopaths who would not suceed anywhere else, dickensian rules (can't have longer than a 5 minute toilet break) and overall nasty culture. Avoid at all costs, there is a reason they have high turnover.
5 years
Multi-skilled assistant Security & communications (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull28 November 2018
I worked in various roles for next, it wasn't the greatest place to work nor was it the worst, I think it has a good friendly atmosphere however, I have not worked there for 8 years so my viewpoint may be different to someone who works there now.
Wrong shift
Operative worker (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire26 November 2018
Beware, they do not place you on the shift you agreed to during interview stage. Could be an HR mistake, or they just decide where to put you once they got you by the neck.
Pros
money
Cons
wrong shift
Poor management and ridiculous policies
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire26 November 2018
I worked at the worcester store and I have never cried so much because of a part time job before. The management made me feel upset and I always felt as if I was picked on. They clearly had favourites and I wasn’t one of them. If I was ever ill, they made me feel bad for not being able to make it in to work. I handed in my notice about a month ago and it’s pay day today, I haven’t been paid because apparently I over took holiday because I haven’t worked the whole holiday year. I took the holiday I was entitled to and never took more than that and as soon as I leave, apparently I’ve took over 50 hours of holiday when I was only aloud 29 hours. I find that extremely strange as it’s impossible for me to even request more holiday that I am entitled to. My managers didn’t inform me of this, as soon as I handed in my notice they ignored me and seemed disappointed in me. They didn’t wish me well or anything, I didn’t get a card from my managers when usually we have to sign a card for people who are leaving. I’ve worked hard for Next and the treatment I have received is very poor. The only positive of working at Next was the friends I met but even they left Next because they couldn’t stand it anymore.

Oh and I will never forget the time that the alarm went off as a group of us walked out of the door after a shift at work. However, my manager didn’t bother to check the rest of the staff and carry out bag checks, she let them go. But did I get searched? Yes I did. I had a big bag of stuff from staying at my boyfriends house the night before. My manager made me get each item out of
  more... my bag one by one and tell her where the item was from. I had to do this twice. I’ve never felt so humiliated in my life. The new girl at the time was shocked that I had been treated like that. I have never done anything wrong for them not to trust me and to be suspicious of me. I’ve always been respectful and worked very hard. The only positive I can take from working at Next is that I’ve learnt a life lesson that I will never forget. I would warn people who are thinking of working at Next to really think about it. Maybe I was just in a store with horrible managers, who knows.  less
Pros
I met friends
Cons
Horrible management, ridiculous policies and procedures
Would completely avoid
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol25 November 2018
The training is awful, you are thrown in to the deep end- which includes you being the only staff member around, not knowing managers, or anything for that matter.
They employ lots of people on small hour contracts, yet expect you to work like 6 days a week, and the higher up staff members will not take shifts off your rota.
Pay is minimum wage too, all in all terrible to work for.
Pros
Discount and uniform allowance if given to you and explained
Cons
Everything else: pay, training, management

Want to know more about Next PLC?

Ask a question
Help me get through uni
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 November 2018
Great cultured retail store to work in whilst at university. Very flexible and helpful with my shifts around my classes. Met great people here. Learnt great personal skills.
poor higher management
UK Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire23 November 2018
poor higher management low pay only perks is discount excpect a lot of work for the money they pay you compared to previous company's, lack of respect from higher management always your fault never there's.
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dudley, Dudley, UK20 November 2018
Really good place to work, busy at time but the staff are friendly and help each other out, amazing work ethic and lively atmosphere. One of the best next stores I have worked at.
Mixed feelings
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  South Ockendon, Essex20 November 2018
Lots of favouritism, with longer serving staff. Rude, bad mannered staff in the office, who have never been out and experienced real life driving, traffic conditions. Talk amongst themselves in thier own language. Talk to staff as if they are children. Lack of respect, no people skills, high expectations. Expect miracles. Too many pointless rules.
Similar to a concentration camp I would imagine. Gate security staff are jobsworths, who treat you like a criminal, pointless van search, when you get back from driving! As if you Nick something and stash it in the van, that you park up and leave there!
Pros
Going home
Cons
Starting your shift!
fun workplace, suitable hours
Stock Room/Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear19 November 2018
very understanding people. management are lovely and very helpful. work around me which is great. always on hand to help. all people who work here are so friendly and welcoming.
avoid working for them
STOCK ROOM TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  London17 November 2018
no matter how long you work for them, they will misuse staff. Pointless trying to move into management. They expect you to lose your life for them.Avoid toxic environments.
Cons
you do not get paid for extra hours
Great work environment, Pay wasn't the best
Seasonal sale staff (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire15 November 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Next. I periodically worked at the Luton Arndale branch and the Luton Airport Parkway store over the course of two years and always encountered friendly and helpful staff. The induction process was fast and informative, promoting health and safety standards on both the shop floor and the stockrooms. Employees were well managed and never an issue with wages and such. Work hours were reasonable and I was offered loads of extra hours even under a temporary contract.

Only con would be the wage at the time; as I can imagine they have been raised since I worked there (2014/16), it was roughly £6/hr which is not ideal in comparison to other companies.

However would work for Next again and recommend others to apply.
Pros
Atmosphere of store
Cons
Busy sale season
Fast paced and productive
Summer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim14 November 2018
Working at the summer sales.
Learned to be fast paced and productive under pressure.
Management were constantly around for support.
Fast paced work culture.
Hardest part of the job was how busy it was because it was a sale but I thrive under pressure.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the customer interaction as I am a people person.
Enjoyable job but little more
Team Coach (Current Employee) –  Gloucester14 November 2018
I have worked at next within a 3 different stores for the last 4.5 years, though i find the job enjoyable it is rarely challenging, offers next to no route for progression, despite being overly qualified and experienced for the role i hold. additionally, the positions bare considerable responsibilities in relation to the rate of pay per hour (minimum wage), the company from what i have seen could make many improvements if it used the staff and resources it had available more effectively.
Pros
Friendly working environment
Cons
Limited hours, minimum wage, overload of responsibilities, non existent progression opportunities.
Unpleasant workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray14 November 2018
If you are desperate for some cash then it is an easy job (once you figure out for yourself how everything works as the training is terrible). The customers are almost all lovely too.

But you are not paid enough to put up with the management and other members of staff in there. When I worked there the staff were very rude and I heard a lot of them saying horrible things about new people behind their backs. It then makes you wonder what they have said about you.

Staff who have been there for years get away with talking for ages (sometimes up to half an hour) whilst others have to pick up the slack and get told off for even speaking to another colleague.

The staff turnover here is unbelievable too. You'd think they would makes some changes, but no.

Not the place to work if you value your sanity.
Pros
Shift marketplace
Cons
Management, salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.