Next PLC Employee Reviews

Bad company to work for
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Doncaster19 January 2018
They dont care for peoples who working in that position.
Bad management.
For 6 months change contracts 3 times and expect peoples to be motivated. ( full shift )
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon19 January 2018
fantastic team, great people to work with! as long as you work hard your job will come second nature to you. training was very helpful and extensive, always checking up you after youve started.
The people you work with make it worth going to work but the company sucks
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland18 January 2018
For all the work that a sales manager has to do the pay rate is not enough. It is worse for a co-ordinator so I am glad I am not in this position.
There are some real negatives to working for this company. It feels like head office want to make life difficult for those working in stores. Over the past few years all that has happened is cuts after cuts after cuts. More and more is expected of the staff and the pay and discount no longer make it worth it.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Everything else
poor management
Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  various18 January 2018
all staff are mistreated, never looked after and are expected to do over the amount required for a hard days work for a measly salary. the whole company policy stinks
Pros
you meet some nice people
Cons
always a mess due to poor recruitment process and contracts
Great service ethic
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire18 January 2018
Daily basis - open store, review sales figures etc, team meeting, daily cashing up. Review service daily with colleagues and coaching them to improve
Learnt policies and procedures of the company
Managers seem to be very young with no life skills and hence do not always know how to deal with all colleague issues. The opportunity is not always there to progress
Very friendly colleagues, always willing to support each other.
Hardest part of the job - found it really boring. When you have always worked in fast paced environment I found it hard to keep motivated
Best part of the job - colleagues discount, friendly colleagues
Pros
colleague discount, time to spend with customers/colleagues
Cons
not fast paced enough
Not one of the best places you can work at
Next - Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire17 January 2018
The NEXT I worked at, wasn't the best, a lot of favouritism went on, and managers openly talking amongst themselves, during work hours, on sales floor expressing who they like, which is totally unprofessional and demotivating, thus leading to poor confidential management and workplace culture.
Too money orientated
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire17 January 2018
Analysing sales, review shop floor. Input hours on system for staffing required per day.
Staff weren't motivated enough.
KPI orientated- good rewards.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
terrible company to work for
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Castleford Central and Glasshoughton16 January 2018
management were always rude and did not care if you were genuinely ill, terrible staff benefits and discounts, was not an enjoyable place to work at all.
a great short term job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  midlands15 January 2018
After working with the company for 9 years in various roles, I've seen it transform into the current economic climate, which is difficult, as such next responded by cost cutting and one of these biggest costs are staff wages.

Next is a front runner on the high street, but in return expects a lot from its staff, and even more from managers, expecting them to work 10 hour plus days to ensure work gets done but only paying you for 8.

Whilst at next you do have great people around you, the standards can vary from store to store and level to level.

Next provides stable jobs and I would recommend for interim jobs, however if you were planning on a career, try to get into head office, or try elsewhere.
Cons
long hours, basic pay, unpaid hours
Great
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London15 January 2018
Great place to work for, very nice staff. Products are of great quality and the application process is quite easy. Definitely would recommend to someone who wants to work in retail.
Next - Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trafford15 January 2018
hi I loved working for next this company’s so was good even my sister worked there because it’s so enjoyable and plus I love helping people with clothes and our customer service was great
Awful place to work
Sales Consultant/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran Town15 January 2018
Awful training. After showing you some of what you need to do, they expect it to be perfect. Tell you to ask when you need help but some people seem annoyed when you do ask. Treated like dirt by customers and some employees. Overworked because a lot of people quitting and not taking on more people. Only good thing is that extra hours can be taken up online and some nice people. No training for difficult customers. Overheard staff gossiping about other members of staff. Looked down at for having learning difficulties. Minimum wage is not worth working somewhere that makes you feel completely worthless and stupid, even though I have a degree.

When booking days off, constantly asked to come in. Managers making staff members look stupid to customers. Told after a month of working there that I was wearing the wrong uniform. Told I was not allowed to wear leggins when I had smart skinny trousers on. Shop floor staff have to wear shoes that are not comfortable for the type of work. If you are working shop floor and delivery in one day, you are not allowed to wear comfortable clothes that are safe for carrying heavy boxes. This was not said in a professional manner, I felt more like a naughty child being told off.

Left on my own to work during a busy Christmas shift when I wasn't trained efficiently. Till training was just showing you once and expecting you to remember everything. When not sure about something, someone would just take over or rush through showing what needs to be done. Told off for things that I wasn't made of aware of. Staff ignoring other staff waiting
  more... to get into the building before opening. Not enough equipment, so people take them when you're putting clothes out. This slows the job down and again that is your fault and wrong.

Staff discount was good but was promised a uniform allowance but never received it. Constantly felt on edge working here and as if everything I did was wrong. Working here is likely to give you anxiety. Even harder getting a job after working here.

Constantly told to do something by some employees then told it's wrong by others and act disgusted by doing what you've been told to do. Overly tired and exhausted but made to work at a very high standard with very little sleep. Bonus pay for parcels is 10p to find a parcel and scan it within 1 minute and 15 seconds. Some parcels are not where they are meant to be. Sometimes customers ask you things after the time has started, so no bonus. Customers expecting parcels before they are in the shop or sorted through (text says after 12pm, customers expect it at 12.01. Spoken to you like you are worthless because you work in retail, so customers will be foul in front of everyone to you. Sometimes a nice employee will come over and help explain the situation to the customer. Unrealistic delivery speed that if 1 person doesn't reach it, everyone loses their bonus. Which ends in everyone being off with the newer person. Would not recommend.
Pros
Staff discount. Online portal for picking up hours and booking time off.
Cons
The way you are treated, bonuses, never enough equipment, Customers, some staff, small staff room, management, lack of training...
Awful place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City14 January 2018
Just quit my job at next. Was working a 5.5 hour contract and within one week of working there, I was working for 30 hours a week which I told them I could not do. The management are unorganised and treat the staff really badly. At the interview they asked me to bring in the holidays I had planned for the next 6 months so I did that. Then a few weeks later (2 weeks till my holiday that I had booked) the manager told me that I had to book it off online which couldn’t be done as it was too short notice to do so. Never got till training even though I was put on many shifts where I was working on the till, including the Black Friday sale weekend. I was also only trained for 4 shifts and then was told to do it online by myself. Awful place to work, do not recommend.
Cons
Bad management. Short breaks. Rude staff
Management vs The Real Workers
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire14 January 2018
This company is clueless on how to keep its staff content. Continuously demanding unreasonable hours outside of your availability; making the possibility of achieving bonus harder and harder month by month; expecting more and more from staff with less staff and fewer hours, and all of this whilst it treats its management and head office like royalty with nights away (aka "Product Training events") and hiring expensive bands to entertain whilst they eat and drink to their hearts content.
cba tbh
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff13 January 2018
it was prettydreadful. staff were attrociuously rude and di not care at all. it was chaos. didn't get till trained even though i was promised. if im honest cba
bottom rung of the ladder
Home specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk13 January 2018
Its a job not a career, no advancement or prospects. A lot of 'Clicks' and if your not in the right one work is horrific. Manager gave his relatives and friends promotions and better hours. Anyone else is just there to fill the shifts no one wants
Pros
discount on uniform
Cons
dead end job
Low salary and little flexibility with hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derry, County Londonderry13 January 2018
Little flexibility when it comes to hours especially around busy period (unless you can get someone to cover you, you have no chance of getting it off). Salary is low for under 21s and little additional benefits. There is little training but an expectation for you to do things by the book none the less. Breaks are way too short e.g half an hour for an 8 hour shift.
Pros
Hours are shown well in advance
Cons
Low pay, short breaks
Awful place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon12 January 2018
management are nasty people, and when raising an issue with them it’s just brushed to one side. They don’t care about you as a person as long as you’re getting them money. Worked there for 2.5 years not so much as a thankyou for working every hour under the sun or even a good luck in new job. I would highly recommend to never work for this excuse of a company.
sales
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glossop, Derbyshire11 January 2018
My time at next was only a Christmas temporary role in the time there my job consisted of :-
Replenishing the stock to a high standard in size and style order all through out the day,
To maintain a clean shop floor through the day and after shift end,
Dealing with customers face to face with any enquires they had.
To prepare the shop to a high standard for the up coming day also marking down items ready for boxing day sales and January sales.
Sociable, fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross, Greater London11 January 2018
Everyone there was welcoming and friendly. The management was good, whenever it got busy at times they managed to keep everything under control. It taught me how to multi task whilst helping a number of customers at once. I would definitely recommend Next!
Pros
Sociable, friendly people, good pay, good management
Cons
Sometimes can be busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Next PLC. Our community is ready to answer.