NEWPORT CITY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

mostly work in the parks, great place to be
parks leisure attendant (Former Employee) –  Newport2 October 2019
Works as seasonal parks leisure attendant for Ncc, I have a great job, not only do I get to work outside, but its a job which I enjoy, making sure parks looking clean, tidy and safe to walk in, but always on hand should anyone need me, plus I have great managers, and colleagues not only as the rangers but also the gardeners, who are there should I need advice
Social Services
RSO (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport22 June 2019
Good training and staff support. Long term employee having the opportunity to work within different departments.My job was working with vulnerable adults within social care.
Very narrow minded and suspicious of change
Safety inspector (Former Employee) –  Newport19 June 2019
Worked there for 5 years very critical of new ideas and work processes very set in ways to much influence for councillors working to own agendas not for the benefit of constitutes
Pros
Local
Cons
Poor parking
it was a good place to work
Social Work Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport8 April 2019
It was a busy hard and fast paced job. you had to manage time which could be difficult with a high case load. Although it was a humbling job especially if you wish to make a difference in peoples lives
Educational
Sports Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport1 April 2019
Coached sports to children of school and teenagers who had recently left schooling but not yet found employment.
Encouraged to educate and train children in sports and communication skills.
Insightful experience
Political Researcher in Democratic Services Office (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport17 January 2019
I worked at Newport City Council on a voluntary basis so cannot comment on salary or job security. However the work/life balance was good and the management extremely positive and helpful. The culture where I worked was a good work environment.
Pros
Insightful experience
Cons
I couldn't work there longer due to University commitments.
Great knowledge and experience
Exam Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport2 January 2019
It was a short time doing the role of an invidulator, it was great to see a new industry and experience. The school I was in was not the best but I enjoyed it
Steady job
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport23 October 2018
Good company to work for, but doesn’t offer promotion very often. Good pension and great training facilities. Need to look at wages compared to some private companies
Pros
Great pension
was productive
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  seasonal assistant grasscutter maintenance8 October 2018
was an assistant grass cutting seasonal worker 6 to 9 months every year for over 20 years + through having a problem with my leg cant do this now to much walking for me ? it was a very enjoyable job + was new recruits every year as the last couple of years i did this it was for an agency had fun but got the work done as well
Pros
lovely if the weather was nice
Cons
no fun if it rained
Unfair pay for support staff in education
Newport (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport31 August 2018
Working as a Teaching Assistant is a wonderful role to have, but due to ever growing responsibilities with never growing wages, the role is becoming very unfair, with pay not reflecting how hard a Teaching Assistant works.
Worked with a skilled and dinamic taem
Parks and Outdoor Recreation Manager (Former Employee) –  Civic Centre Newport14 June 2018
Prior to the government lead savings NCC was a pleasure to work for. However, having to make cuts and remove staff from jobs they enjoyed and often excelled at was probably one of the most difficult things I had to do.
The most enjoyable parts:- when projects were completed and the users arrived for the official opening.
Working with Councilors, the Mayor, local residents and user groups to improve facilities across the City.
Attracting external grant funding in support of local initiatives.
Forming strong ties with local communities and user groups and helping them to become sustainable into the future.
Pros
Personal satisfaction
Cons
Long hours. Early starts and late finishes. Open to verbal abuse.
Political
HR Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport17 April 2018
Lots of Red tape. Manager's seem to hang around forever so people are unable to move up the ladder. The most enjoyable part of the job is home time and some of my colleagues
To ensure that you work as a team
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport City Centre, Newport13 April 2018
my work day would start with a handover from staff about any issues that had taken place in my absence, I would then deal with any urgent issues and pass this information over to the staff team that would be working that morning/afternoon.
I would open and deal with the most urgent emails that had come threw, I would walk around the building to check on everybody under our care to ensure they were alright and nothing had been missed.
Medication would start from 8am until approx. 10.30 when individuals would be having there breakfast, between doing this I would also be answering the phone, dealing District Nurses and calling G.Ps if needed.
I would then check risk assessments to ensure that they were up to date as they can change on a daily basis if anybody had a fall updating spreadsheets, organising supervisions and team meetings with the staff group.
The home was a very busy home and more often than not I would be the only manager on duty, I would have to chase up medication, arrange transport for hospital appointment in between individuals who access's the service wanting to speak to me.
I would update service plans and the documentation that was in place to ensure it was still relevant and current
The workplace culture had slowly started to change in a good way as the other managers and staff group came to realise that there place of work was individuals homes.
As the majority of the time I worked without any other managers being on shift it was juggling several issues at once.
The best part of the role I undertook was when the staff team and individuals would say
  more... thank you  less
Pros
lunch was subsusdised
Cons
chasing other peopels work up
Rules for the sake of rules
Student Environmental Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Newport County30 March 2018
I learnt a lot during my time with Newport City Council. I worked with a range of people and public. I found the experience invaluable and a worth while investment of my time and energy.
Pros
Varied experiences
Cons
not paid
Rewarding
Learning Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport17 February 2018
This is a very rewarding role, and it is wonderful to be a part of the achievements of these special young people.
A typical day includes assisting children as they learn and grow. Assisting with personal care. De-accelarating challenging behaviour. Supporting the teacher with resources and managing behaviours within the classroom.
Pros
Rewarding, pension and benefits
Cons
Low wage pro rata. Not flexible
I was caring for my Dad so not much more to say as I could decide the hours etc with Dad
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport15 February 2018
works out much better for me to look after dad as several care companies that we employed previously just have too many service users to be able to always be on time. I am very sad and annoyed that the pay is so very poor for all carers considering the training we have and the things we have to deal with on a daily basis. if the pay was better and you were not employed on a zero hours contract I would go back to caring straight away.
Pros
making someone's life easier/better
Cons
very long hours of very hard graft to make an acceptable level of income
Great management, rewards and staff
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport7 February 2018
Three years working for NCC, I never had to complain about anything or anyone. Staff supervisons were regular and helpful. Service users and staff I worked with in residential care were both excellent! No bad words all good! Thanks for my time with you NCC!
Pros
Secure job, contracted hours, excellent pay
Cons
Never did QSF
working outside
Seasonal Gardener (Former Employee) –  newport s.wales6 February 2018
really enjoyed working for the council,just a pity it was seasonal ,i would have loved to have stayed. and working in different areas every day really gave me fresh outlook every working day.
Pros
working out doors
Cons
seasonal
great place to work, especially in the work i done, meeting new people,and for people to approach me knowing they were in safe hands
parks ranger (Former Employee) –  belke vue park12 January 2018
worked as a parks ranger, which i really enjoyed, i was my own boss, would not take stick from anyone, would always go around the park to make sure everyone was safe, and there was no trouble, i would always mantain the park to a high standard, before locking up, only down side was, that i was told i was going to get paid certain amount of money from the managers, just to find out i got alot less, will never work for agency again
Pros
nothing was free
Cons
if worked over 37hrs you only got paid flat rate pay, plus wasnt on same amount of money as other rangers
Very good employer woth flexitime in operation.
Finance Officer, Community Development (Former Employee) –  Pill Millennium Centre, Newport9 January 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in this role which lasted for a period of 10 years, and this would have continued but for the decision by Wales Government to draw to a close its funding of the Communities First Projects throughout Wales.

Teamwork was at its best in this role because of the interdependence with the work of the Coordinators and Project workers within the Team. Communication was very effective in all directions, from both top down and bottom up, and also across the teams within the Cluster.

Workplace culture was very good and organised, this being reflective of the efficient management style in operation. As a consequence, there were no 'hardest parts of the job' because of the full cooperation received in a two-way process.

Proactive approaches to my work were extremely beneficial in operating a commitment accounting approach to budget monitoring, and liaising with external funded groups and suppliers proved to be highly effective.

Regular budget meetings were a real source of enjoyment within this role which enabled spending of the grant funding received from WG to be maximised in terms of project delivery.
Pros
flexitime
Cons
historical data on centralised ledger system