NewLaw Solicitors Employee Reviews in Cardiff

Featured review
NewLaw Solicitors selected this as a representative review
Great graduate job
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff City Centre, Cardiff1 August 2019
Work life balance here is good. The people are great and really make the job. Independence from day one to run your own cases with as little or as much guidance as you feel is necessary. Caseloads are high but it’s a fast paced, target driven role so that’s to be expected. Salaries have just been overhauled to ensure they’re competitive with other firms and the benefits scheme is constantly under review.
Do not apply for this role
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Cardiff City Centre, Cardiff22 September 2019
Worked for around 3-4 months, within this period, I was hated by my manager and team, wouldn’t ever recommend this place to a rat, never mind a person!

Ridiculous emails about targets that has to be met, and around 45-60 calls from 1 of 300 clients you’ve not even dealt with before. This firm will not progress you, pay you well, or help you in any way to become a solicitor or help you in a career path.
An amazing job, but an inflexible environment
New Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Cardiff13 September 2019
The work as a new claims handler was amazing. It is engaging, quick paced, and exciting. However, NewLaw itself is not extremely considerate of the hours that employees had to work. I myself, had to travel 1 hour to work every day on public transport and then was often put on the rota to work until 9PM in the nights. When I discussed possibly having earlier shifts with my manager I was immediately dismissed and my request was taken no further. I was also informed 2 weeks prior to it, that for at least 1 week I would have to work 12 hour shifts as they had decided to close the office for a day, on the grounds of rearranging a computer system. All employees of the first response unit were expected to do this so that we could work back the hours we had missed.
The job itself, and especially the environment you are in leads to very distressing days in work. On more than one occasion I would break down in tears and panic attacks due to stress, and my managers response was always that it was very normal for this job and every one had done it at some point. They demeaned the fact that I was struggling with my mental health due to work and did nothing to make it more comfortable for me.
Worst company I have EVER worked for
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Cardiff19 July 2019
Where do I start?
I advise NO one to apply for a position as a Paralegal.

-No training what so ever... you have to learn from the person sat next to you (majority of people are new.. new learning new..)

- POOR Management- Not sure what manager skills they have been trained on but half of them don't know what they are doing, bombards you with emails about targets yet don't train the newbies.

-Pay... They will stick you on a low salary, you speak to another new case manager and they will be on a different salary same qualifications..

- Very clicky here, if you don't get under your managers thumb you are disliked and talked about.

I advise NO one apply for a job here unless you want to be worked to the ground with very little training and targets that you are unable to meet.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Long hours, large impossible case load, bad managers, basically everything
More promises than delivered
Personal injury Paralegal/claims handler (Former Employee) –  Cardiff23 May 2019
Breeds a culture of every person for themselves. People are friendly but highly stressed. Training is short and brief, and the work environment is very opaque.
Pros
City centre location, big firm.
Cons
Impossible to get bonus, un-manageable case load, very stressful environment, management aren’t very helpful
A Review from the Resourcing and Talent Manager
Resourcing and Talent Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff26 April 2019
As the Resourcing and Talent Manager at NewLaw, I am responsible for the companies recruitment strategy. Part of this role means reading, analysing and acting upon reviews that I read online. So, I thought - Why not leave my own? After all, I am an employee too!

I started working at NewLaw 3 months ago this week. I have purposely waited 90 days before giving an opinion.

So, here is what I think....

I think the company really care about making sure HR are available to support the people within the business. Why? Because in the past 6 months the HR team has been grown from 4 team members to 11, ensuring there is a good mix of people that have skills related to policy and employment law, employee engagement and well-being, diversity and inclusion, as well as training and recruitment.

I think the company really cares about the development of people within the business? Why? Because 6 months ago they took on a new Learning and Development manager to do just that, who is supported by 2 other trainers. I hardly see that section of the team as they are always out and about within the rest of the business making sure people get the training they need, want and would expect.

I think the company really cares about the well-being of its staff. Why? Because in 2019, there have been weekly well-being initiatives, a new team of 'Well-being warriors' recruited internally to support people, and more and more being done to train mental health firstaiders, develop peoples understanding of invisible disabilities and to support staff with their general well-being.

I think the
  more... company really care about diversity and inclusion. Why? Other than my own personal experience being gay and living with ADHD and knowing I am in an environment I can be myself, the company offers part time opportunities to students to fit around University and for parents and carers that need part time hours to fit in with school pick ups. We have a space in the office that is utilised by people of various faiths as a prayer room.

I think NewLaw really care about how their staff feel about working here. Why? Because the feedback received over the past year is being listened to, the right decisions are being made and the company is going through a fantastic period of change.

The final Pro from me, is that if the above sounds like a company you want to join - We have lots of opportunities available!
Pros
The company is developing, growing and going through a great period of change, which makes it really exciting to be part of.
Cons
Communication. Many great things are happening, but they are not shouted about as much as they could be.
Terrible
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff9 April 2019
Poor treatment of people. The place is not diverse. It's a habit of binning people instead of keeping them and developing them.

Learnt about desk moves whilst I was there. And being shown there was no room for people like me there. Awful. I had left one place for this place as I had been waiting for so long to work there. Really disappointing.
Pros
Na
Cons
Lack of inclusivity
Good stepping stone but not the best!
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff24 February 2019
It has been great because you get really hands on experience with drafting legal documents, managing your own case load. However, that also comes with its disadvantage. You have about 300 cases and unrealistic targets to reach, and management are also breathing down your neck for the targets.

The salary is ridiculous compared to the amount of work and effort we actually put in. If the pay was more, it would motivate a lot more people to stay but unfortunately there is a high staff turnover and the employees who still work there will be left to pick up the pieces after an employee leaves.

Young working environment, everyone is friendly and super nice. Its a good place to start your legal career. Use it as a stepping stone, it is not place you can stay for long.
Pros
Lots of incentives, and competitions where you can win things and the people who work there
Cons
Overloaded with work, pay, and the high staff turnover.
Good Company , Bad Press
Case Mangager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff23 January 2019
NewLaw is a great company but gets bad press from the past.

It is changing masssivley and although busy the management team are really trying to change the culture.

Lots of great training available and opportunities to study and develop with career progression

Salary is OK, and the teams are full of great people, location good and I just walk over from Cardiff Queen street station. benefits are being worked on and they have just introduced a relaxed dress code

Flexible working options are useful and you would not find them anywhere else in a law firm.
Pros
City Centre, Flexible working, Team Culture and Career progression
Cons
Its busy and fast paced
Glorified call centre
Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff6 December 2018
Bad management, no benefits, but the salary was decent-ish.

Management run around shouting at people to pick up calls, but still expect things to be top notch perfect - how can you perfect things when you're made to rush everything?

Management haven't got a clue what to do, cant recall one who's actually ever worked in the legal sector previously.

Targets are just ridiculous, you're basically being told to try and force someone into making claim.

Progression within the business is decent, you get a lot of people who move departments (shock).

The department is basically a glorified call centre.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Awful management, Pressure, Lack of support
Dont do it
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 September 2018
Terrible place to work. Management is awful and team leaders even worse. Turn around of staff is ridiculous. No incentives, no positive feedback only negative, bad salary. Sickness is not recorded properly and good hardworking staff taken for granted. Managers unapproacable and the way some team leaders speak to their staff is awful. Would never recommend this as a work place for a human.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Not enough time
A Firm In Transition
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff13 August 2018
Have worked at the firm over a year, worked in a department which allowed as much freedom to manage my team as I felt necessary, with support there when required/asked for.

With the closure of the Bristol office, morale in both Cardiff and Bristol offices has taken a hit, but a new management structure in place has identified that morale is a key thing to act on and are working to change this with a different approach, incentives etc.

Whilst in a new department now, still feel I have as much autonomy to manage my team as I see fit, again with as much support as I feel I might need.

Staff always hard working and friendly.
Pros
Friendly People, Hard Working Staff, Management Conscious Of Need To Improve Morale/Working Practices
Great people and fantastic quality of work
Solicitor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 August 2018
I started at NewLaw a few years ago expecting to stay 1 year. Many do leave after a few months but there are good opportunities for those who stay. I have been promoted twice and support by management when I have changed roles. For those who want progression it is there if you work for it.
Improvements in staff benefits and rewards are needed but with a new management structure the general feeling is that this will happen.
Caseloads are high but there is a huge recruitment drive to increase staff numbers and reduce the case numbers.
The people who work here are great and make the place.
Pros
Great people and quality of work
Cons
Lack of benefits
Excellent Place to work
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 July 2018
A very hands on role and the ideal role for a graduate to get some real experience.

The firm are willing to give those with little experience the opportunity to grow and develop their skills. Which when you are a new graduate, some firms won't even give you the time of day.

Its a fast paced, target driven environment but management do try and balance this out with fun too.

Plenty of opportunities for progression within the company.

They build a culture where no question is a silly question.

Senior management always looking at ways of keeping staff morale high
Pros
Flexible working, City Centre location, Share save scheme
Cons
Limited benefits but they are looking to improve this
Autonomy and trust to get on with the job.
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Cardiff15 May 2018
I have been lucky enough to work within a Department with an excellent management team that empowers you to be your best and trusts you to get on with the job to deliver the required results.
Pros
Well run department with good managers.
Cons
New CEO, poor benefits, period of change very unsettling and not handled particularly well by HR.
People not the place
Paralegal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff27 April 2018
I found the people I worked with to be excellent but the way the business was run was very poor. The accounts department was by far better run and managed but the MOJ department was a revolving door due to being horrendously mis-managed
Good Training - only advantage
Finance Team (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 December 2017
The company provides very good training but here is where the advantages stop. The workload is massive and, though, nobody comes to ask you how many cases have you actually actioned in one day, one can feel the pressure.

The salary increase is minimal (below inflation rate). There are almost no benefits (minimum pension, no insurance, no parties,etc.).

Strict policy for using the mobile phones inside the building.

Small kitchens (5-6 seats for an entire floor) - Cardiff.
Pros
Good Training
Cons
Almost no benefits
Be warned! Worst company ever
MOJ RTA Personal Injury Claims Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Cardiff6 May 2017
This place does not care about the clients it's all about the money. You'll be hounded about targets constantly and always have some manager pecking your head. The managers aren't great either, very unsupportive and can be very manipulative. The pay is also shocking. Training is pathetic as they'd rather have bums on seats earning money than looking after staff. The amount of people who leave is unsurprising really.
Pros
City centre location
Cons
Na
Nice Colleagues
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 February 2017
Great people to work with however you do not feel your efforts are rewarded appropriately. Very welcoming and open to employ those who are at the start of the career. High case load and unobtainable bonuses. I feel the company should do more to retain staff and increase staff retention. Too much focus on profits and not enough done to ensure the staff are enjoying their working experience.
Pros
nice people to work with, welcome those starting their legal career
Cons
low salary, unobtainable bonuses
Little to recommend it
Change (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 February 2017
Certain managers are great, colleagues were excellent - supportive and knowledgable. Leadership questionable - not a nice place to work in my opinion.
Pros
City centre location
Cons
Poor benefits and reward package. Stifling and blinkered culture.
IT Developer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS30 December 2015
I found NewLaw a great place to work, and the whole office had great morale and was a very friendly. Towards the end of my employment, they brought in Personal Development Review's, which were stupid, as it took so much time to do, it was taking up your time when you could be working on your day to day work!

Given the opportunity, I'd work there again.
Pros
free bar at company parties, very close to town centre, approachable managers
Cons
unpaid sick leave, not much holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NewLaw Solicitors. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7