NewLaw Solicitors Employee Reviews

A Review from the Resourcing and Talent Manager
Resourcing and Talent Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff26 April 2019
As the Resourcing and Talent Manager at NewLaw, I am responsible for the companies recruitment strategy. Part of this role means reading, analysing and acting upon reviews that I read online. So, I thought - Why not leave my own? After all, I am an employee too!

I started working at NewLaw 3 months ago this week. I have purposely waited 90 days before giving an opinion.

So, here is what I think....

I think the company really care about making sure HR are available to support the people within the business. Why? Because in the past 6 months the HR team has been grown from 4 team members to 11, ensuring there is a good mix of people that have skills related to policy and employment law, employee engagement and well-being, diversity and inclusion, as well as training and recruitment.

I think the company really cares about the development of people within the business? Why? Because 6 months ago they took on a new Learning and Development manager to do just that, who is supported by 2 other trainers. I hardly see that section of the team as they are always out and about within the rest of the business making sure people get the training they need, want and would expect.

I think the company really cares about the well-being of its staff. Why? Because in 2019, there have been weekly well-being initiatives, a new team of 'Well-being warriors' recruited internally to support people, and more and more being done to train mental health firstaiders, develop peoples understanding of invisible disabilities and to support staff with their general well-being.

I think the
  more... company really care about diversity and inclusion. Why? Other than my own personal experience being gay and living with ADHD and knowing I am in an environment I can be myself, the company offers part time opportunities to students to fit around University and for parents and carers that need part time hours to fit in with school pick ups. We have a space in the office that is utilised by people of various faiths as a prayer room.

I think NewLaw really care about how their staff feel about working here. Why? Because the feedback received over the past year is being listened to, the right decisions are being made and the company is going through a fantastic period of change.

The final Pro from me, is that if the above sounds like a company you want to join - We have lots of opportunities available!
Pros
The company is developing, growing and going through a great period of change, which makes it really exciting to be part of.
Cons
Communication. Many great things are happening, but they are not shouted about as much as they could be.
Terrible
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff9 April 2019
Poor treatment of people. The place is not diverse. It's a habit of binning people instead of keeping them and developing them.

Learnt about desk moves whilst I was there. And being shown there was no room for people like me there. Awful. I had left one place for this place as I had been waiting for so long to work there. Really disappointing.
Pros
Na
Cons
Lack of inclusivity
Good stepping stone but not the best!
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff24 February 2019
It has been great because you get really hands on experience with drafting legal documents, managing your own case load. However, that also comes with its disadvantage. You have about 300 cases and unrealistic targets to reach, and management are also breathing down your neck for the targets.

The salary is ridiculous compared to the amount of work and effort we actually put in. If the pay was more, it would motivate a lot more people to stay but unfortunately there is a high staff turnover and the employees who still work there will be left to pick up the pieces after an employee leaves.

Young working environment, everyone is friendly and super nice. Its a good place to start your legal career. Use it as a stepping stone, it is not place you can stay for long.
Pros
Lots of incentives, and competitions where you can win things and the people who work there
Cons
Overloaded with work, pay, and the high staff turnover.
Good Company , Bad Press
Case Mangager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff23 January 2019
NewLaw is a great company but gets bad press from the past.

It is changing masssivley and although busy the management team are really trying to change the culture.

Lots of great training available and opportunities to study and develop with career progression

Salary is OK, and the teams are full of great people, location good and I just walk over from Cardiff Queen street station. benefits are being worked on and they have just introduced a relaxed dress code

Flexible working options are useful and you would not find them anywhere else in a law firm.
Pros
City Centre, Flexible working, Team Culture and Career progression
Cons
Its busy and fast paced
Glorified call centre
Claims Handler (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff6 December 2018
Bad management, no benefits, but the salary was decent-ish.

Management run around shouting at people to pick up calls, but still expect things to be top notch perfect - how can you perfect things when you're made to rush everything?

Management haven't got a clue what to do, cant recall one who's actually ever worked in the legal sector previously.

Targets are just ridiculous, you're basically being told to try and force someone into making claim.

Progression within the business is decent, you get a lot of people who move departments (shock).

The department is basically a glorified call centre.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Awful management, Pressure, Lack of support
Dont do it
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 September 2018
Terrible place to work. Management is awful and team leaders even worse. Turn around of staff is ridiculous. No incentives, no positive feedback only negative, bad salary. Sickness is not recorded properly and good hardworking staff taken for granted. Managers unapproacable and the way some team leaders speak to their staff is awful. Would never recommend this as a work place for a human.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Not enough time
A Firm In Transition
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff13 August 2018
Have worked at the firm over a year, worked in a department which allowed as much freedom to manage my team as I felt necessary, with support there when required/asked for.

With the closure of the Bristol office, morale in both Cardiff and Bristol offices has taken a hit, but a new management structure in place has identified that morale is a key thing to act on and are working to change this with a different approach, incentives etc.

Whilst in a new department now, still feel I have as much autonomy to manage my team as I see fit, again with as much support as I feel I might need.

Staff always hard working and friendly.
Pros
Friendly People, Hard Working Staff, Management Conscious Of Need To Improve Morale/Working Practices
Great people and fantastic quality of work
Solicitor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 August 2018
I started at NewLaw a few years ago expecting to stay 1 year. Many do leave after a few months but there are good opportunities for those who stay. I have been promoted twice and support by management when I have changed roles. For those who want progression it is there if you work for it.
Improvements in staff benefits and rewards are needed but with a new management structure the general feeling is that this will happen.
Caseloads are high but there is a huge recruitment drive to increase staff numbers and reduce the case numbers.
The people who work here are great and make the place.
Pros
Great people and quality of work
Cons
Lack of benefits
Excellent Place to work
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 July 2018
A very hands on role and the ideal role for a graduate to get some real experience.

The firm are willing to give those with little experience the opportunity to grow and develop their skills. Which when you are a new graduate, some firms won't even give you the time of day.

Its a fast paced, target driven environment but management do try and balance this out with fun too.

Plenty of opportunities for progression within the company.

They build a culture where no question is a silly question.

Senior management always looking at ways of keeping staff morale high
Pros
Flexible working, City Centre location, Share save scheme
Cons
Limited benefits but they are looking to improve this
Autonomy and trust to get on with the job.
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Cardiff15 May 2018
I have been lucky enough to work within a Department with an excellent management team that empowers you to be your best and trusts you to get on with the job to deliver the required results.
Pros
Well run department with good managers.
Cons
New CEO, poor benefits, period of change very unsettling and not handled particularly well by HR.
People not the place
Paralegal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff27 April 2018
I found the people I worked with to be excellent but the way the business was run was very poor. The accounts department was by far better run and managed but the MOJ department was a revolving door due to being horrendously mis-managed
redundancies and office closure
IT (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff29 March 2018
Since the company was sold things have gone down hill each year, staff retention was a problem, but they have closed another office (bristol) and made redundancies in both bristol and cardiff.

The company is heavily personal injury focused and with the new reforms on the horizon I wouldnt recommend joining the company unless you have no other job, otherwise you may become disappointed one day.
Cons
poor salary increases and bonus structure, no career progression, no investment in training
Bristol office closing
Litigator (Paralegal) (Current Employee) –  Bristol24 March 2018
This office is closing. Salaries were low and several experienced staff members left when the company employed a new starter on a larger salary. Senior management were made aware of this but chose to ignore it. Now the office is closing!
Pros
Cons
Low salary. Office now closing
Terrible management.
MOJ RTA Case Handler (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol14 January 2018
The attrition rate at the company is usually 5 - 7 months; it's very rare for someone in the RTA / MOJ / Ageas teams to work there longer than that (which should tell you something about how a company is run).

The management at the establishment also had a well known history for being unjust in their approach to certain staff members.

On the plus side, great team of people i.e. that always makes work easier and the people they employ at entry level are usually very friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
Good location, good door staff.
Cons
Bad managers.
Good Training - only advantage
Finance Team (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 December 2017
The company provides very good training but here is where the advantages stop. The workload is massive and, though, nobody comes to ask you how many cases have you actually actioned in one day, one can feel the pressure.

The salary increase is minimal (below inflation rate). There are almost no benefits (minimum pension, no insurance, no parties,etc.).

Strict policy for using the mobile phones inside the building.

Small kitchens (5-6 seats for an entire floor) - Cardiff.
Pros
Good Training
Cons
Almost no benefits
A flexible company made great by the people that work within it.
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol27 November 2017
NewLaw solicitors is a great place to work, I never dread coming to work on a Monday. The office has a very warm and welcoming atmosphere and the management are friendly and approachable, regardless of your position within the company. NewLaw are a family friendly company and I have found them to be very flexible and supportive when required. The company has a great social committee, who always strive to create great events, such as the annual office bake off, regular quiz nights and office nights out. All in all a great place to work.
Pros
Friendly Enviroment
Cons
Salary good be better
Be warned! Worst company ever
MOJ RTA Personal Injury Claims Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Cardiff6 May 2017
This place does not care about the clients it's all about the money. You'll be hounded about targets constantly and always have some manager pecking your head. The managers aren't great either, very unsupportive and can be very manipulative. The pay is also shocking. Training is pathetic as they'd rather have bums on seats earning money than looking after staff. The amount of people who leave is unsurprising really.
Pros
City centre location
Cons
Na
Little to recommend it
Change (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff5 February 2017
Certain managers are great, colleagues were excellent - supportive and knowledgable. Leadership questionable - not a nice place to work in my opinion.
Pros
City centre location
Cons
Poor benefits and reward package. Stifling and blinkered culture.
Hands on from the beginning
Paralgeal (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol23 January 2017
Due to the expansive caseloads, it is pretty much full-on case management from start to finish in order to meet individual and team targets. However, simultaneously I was able to understand the process and why things ought to be done in a certain way rather than knowing what to do. We have a pretty streamlined management system with daily contact and communication. And, the team is hardworking and vibrant with a focus to achieve outstanding performances throughout the working weeks.
Pros
Exposure to complexities very quickly
Cons
High attrition rate
professional and enjoyable place of work
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff City4 July 2016
O na day to day basis professional and enjoyable place to work with friendly staff and support from mangement
Pros
save as you earn
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NewLaw Solicitors. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7