NewLaw Solicitors

NewLaw Solicitors Employee Reviews

United Kingdom34 reviews
Featured review
NewLaw Solicitors selected this as a representative review
Work life balance here is good. The people are great and really make the job. Independence from day one to run your own cases with as little or as much guidance as you feel is necessary. Caseloads are high but it’s a fast paced, target driven role so that’s to be expected. Salaries have just been overhauled to ensure they’re competitive with other firms and the benefits scheme is constantly under review.
I've learnt a lot working for NewLaw and feel it was very enjoyable and prospects for progression were good. Only issue with NewLaw is there was no real job security even though I was on permanent contract I felt the lack of workflow was an issue for the number of Admin staff they hired.
Great play to work,
fantastic management

great system

great learning

human resources are fantastic

great benefits

great learning benifits

Cilex course help
Loved working with my clients, lovely Colleagues too. Management however, was extremely unfair and if you don’t “fit in” with Team Manager... you’re requested to leave. Such a shame as I think I was perfect for the role, had a great rapport with my clients. Problem is... if you have an unfair Manager who isn’t willing to be fair with you, you have no chance of succeeding.
Everyone I worked with is fantastic, everyone lent a hands and chipped in to help one another whenever we needed it, I always had a great time working with my team. In addition, it was valuable experience just coming out of university and learning how to deal with system, clients, liaise with third parties etc. The training is second to none from the Training team. The individual team managers were also great, especially when considering the amount of pressure they were under from upper management.

However, the pay was poor, the benefits were practically non-existent compared to other companies and the rewards and recognition were few and far between. Upper management bully and belittled the handlers working underneath them and we were constantly bombarded with e-mails asking for outputs, results, targets etc. No consideration was given to workplace stress or factors outside your control that could prevent you from hitting said targets e.g. insurers not paying when they're supposed to, clients still suffering from injuries or still having ongoing treatment. They say clients are at the heart of everything they do, but they're not. Profits and the bottom line are at the heart of everything they do.

I would definitely recommend NewLaw if you are just leaving university and you need some experience. However, prepare yourself for the stress you will undoubtedly experience.
Applied for a role as a personal injury case manager as I had experience in this previously.

First month was great. Then it went down hill.

Was sacked for talking too much and had 2.5 sickness days which could not be helped. Manager said that there was a talk but not too much policy in place. I was told to not talk yet the team behind me and the team I was on was happy to talk about non related work such as football!

When asked at the meeting if my probation can be extended so that I can work on my sickness and taking rates, was told no. So they don’t even give you the chance to get better.

When brought up in a meeting that I kept my head down and carried on with my work, I was asked if everything was okay? Pot calling kettle black here.

Worst company to work for. Pleas do not apply to work here!
Every day has a new challenge.

Caseloads are higher than the case managers should be handling and the team managers are overloaded with work.

The role is very fast paced and requires that you hit targets and KPIs,

Everyone in the team gets on and any help you receive will be from your team.

You will rely on you team to train you because the training is nowhere near sufficient and will not truly reflect the work you will be doing.

Make sure you ask as many questions as you can to get a full understanding of what is required.

Days tend to be either 8:30am to 5pm or 9am to 5:30pm with half an hour breaks for full-timers. There is the option of an hour break but this will mean staying 30 minutes later.

The job can be fun but lack of rewards or positivity from those running the business can lower morale and make you feel like you're fighting a losing battle.

If it wasn't for the team and team manager the job would feel overwhelming.

I would definitely recommend this company for beginning your career as a paralegal but there are few positives outside of your own team that make you want to stay.
Team managers are good and staff are nice. Fast track manager dismisses every concern that you raise. All they care about is targets and staff mental stability is not on the record. Threats of demotion and sacking and general bullying in the workplace. If you are looking for a job here I’d advise to get a union. Turn over is major. There is no support from higher management. If you are achieving targets then you are expected to do more
I have worked at NewLaw for roughly 10 months and have seen a massive change culturally in the business.

There is a really good focus from the HR and Executive Management teams around well-being of staff and the benefits they receive. Staff feel generally better looked after I feel and from the feedback I received in training I would say the culture is now really positive.

There are of course things that could be worked on still for example, better communication and slightly more flexibility from management for staff, but this is something that is being worked on.

From a training perspective we are working on supporting staff better by building on our induction process and listening to feedback from our staff around how they find the experience.
Pros
Good staff benefits, Friendly staff, Nice Offices, Chances for Development
Cons
Communication
Worked for around 3-4 months, within this period, I was hated by my manager and team, wouldn’t ever recommend this place to a rat, never mind a person!

Ridiculous emails about targets that has to be met, and around 45-60 calls from 1 of 300 clients you’ve not even dealt with before. This firm will not progress you, pay you well, or help you in any way to become a solicitor or help you in a career path.
The work as a new claims handler was amazing. It is engaging, quick paced, and exciting. However, NewLaw itself is not extremely considerate of the hours that employees had to work. I myself, had to travel 1 hour to work every day on public transport and then was often put on the rota to work until 9PM in the nights. When I discussed possibly having earlier shifts with my manager I was immediately dismissed and my request was taken no further. I was also informed 2 weeks prior to it, that for at least 1 week I would have to work 12 hour shifts as they had decided to close the office for a day, on the grounds of rearranging a computer system. All employees of the first response unit were expected to do this so that we could work back the hours we had missed.
The job itself, and especially the environment you are in leads to very distressing days in work. On more than one occasion I would break down in tears and panic attacks due to stress, and my managers response was always that it was very normal for this job and every one had done it at some point. They demeaned the fact that I was struggling with my mental health due to work and did nothing to make it more comfortable for me.
Where do I start?
I advise NO one to apply for a position as a Paralegal.

-No training what so ever... you have to learn from the person sat next to you (majority of people are new.. new learning new..)

- POOR Management- Not sure what manager skills they have been trained on but half of them don't know what they are doing, bombards you with emails about targets yet don't train the newbies.

-Pay... They will stick you on a low salary, you speak to another new case manager and they will be on a different salary same qualifications..

- Very clicky here, if you don't get under your managers thumb you are disliked and talked about.

I advise NO one apply for a job here unless you want to be worked to the ground with very little training and targets that you are unable to meet.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Long hours, large impossible case load, bad managers, basically everything
Breeds a culture of every person for themselves. People are friendly but highly stressed. Training is short and brief, and the work environment is very opaque.
Pros
City centre location, big firm.
Cons
Impossible to get bonus, un-manageable case load, very stressful environment, management aren’t very helpful
As the Resourcing and Talent Manager at NewLaw, I am responsible for the companies recruitment strategy. Part of this role means reading, analysing and acting upon reviews that I read online. So, I thought - Why not leave my own? After all, I am an employee too!

I started working at NewLaw 3 months ago this week. I have purposely waited 90 days before giving an opinion.

So, here is what I think....

I think the company really care about making sure HR are available to support the people within the business. Why? Because in the past 6 months the HR team has been grown from 4 team members to 11, ensuring there is a good mix of people that have skills related to policy and employment law, employee engagement and well-being, diversity and inclusion, as well as training and recruitment.

I think the company really cares about the development of people within the business? Why? Because 6 months ago they took on a new Learning and Development manager to do just that, who is supported by 2 other trainers. I hardly see that section of the team as they are always out and about within the rest of the business making sure people get the training they need, want and would expect.

I think the company really cares about the well-being of its staff. Why? Because in 2019, there have been weekly well-being initiatives, a new team of 'Well-being warriors' recruited internally to support people, and more and more being done to train mental health firstaiders, develop peoples understanding of invisible disabilities and to support staff with their general well-being.

I think the
 - more...
Pros
The company is developing, growing and going through a great period of change, which makes it really exciting to be part of.
Cons
Communication. Many great things are happening, but they are not shouted about as much as they could be.
Poor treatment of people. The place is not diverse. It's a habit of binning people instead of keeping them and developing them.

Learnt about desk moves whilst I was there. And being shown there was no room for people like me there. Awful. I had left one place for this place as I had been waiting for so long to work there. Really disappointing.
Pros
Na
Cons
Lack of inclusivity
It has been great because you get really hands on experience with drafting legal documents, managing your own case load. However, that also comes with its disadvantage. You have about 300 cases and unrealistic targets to reach, and management are also breathing down your neck for the targets.

The salary is ridiculous compared to the amount of work and effort we actually put in. If the pay was more, it would motivate a lot more people to stay but unfortunately there is a high staff turnover and the employees who still work there will be left to pick up the pieces after an employee leaves.

Young working environment, everyone is friendly and super nice. Its a good place to start your legal career. Use it as a stepping stone, it is not place you can stay for long.
Pros
Lots of incentives, and competitions where you can win things and the people who work there
Cons
Overloaded with work, pay, and the high staff turnover.
NewLaw is a great company but gets bad press from the past.

It is changing masssivley and although busy the management team are really trying to change the culture.

Lots of great training available and opportunities to study and develop with career progression

Salary is OK, and the teams are full of great people, location good and I just walk over from Cardiff Queen street station. benefits are being worked on and they have just introduced a relaxed dress code

Flexible working options are useful and you would not find them anywhere else in a law firm.
Pros
City Centre, Flexible working, Team Culture and Career progression
Cons
Its busy and fast paced
Bad management, no benefits, but the salary was decent-ish.

Management run around shouting at people to pick up calls, but still expect things to be top notch perfect - how can you perfect things when you're made to rush everything?

Management haven't got a clue what to do, cant recall one who's actually ever worked in the legal sector previously.

Targets are just ridiculous, you're basically being told to try and force someone into making claim.

Progression within the business is decent, you get a lot of people who move departments (shock).

The department is basically a glorified call centre.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Awful management, Pressure, Lack of support
Terrible place to work. Management is awful and team leaders even worse. Turn around of staff is ridiculous. No incentives, no positive feedback only negative, bad salary. Sickness is not recorded properly and good hardworking staff taken for granted. Managers unapproacable and the way some team leaders speak to their staff is awful. Would never recommend this as a work place for a human.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Not enough time
Have worked at the firm over a year, worked in a department which allowed as much freedom to manage my team as I felt necessary, with support there when required/asked for.

With the closure of the Bristol office, morale in both Cardiff and Bristol offices has taken a hit, but a new management structure in place has identified that morale is a key thing to act on and are working to change this with a different approach, incentives etc.

Whilst in a new department now, still feel I have as much autonomy to manage my team as I see fit, again with as much support as I feel I might need.

Staff always hard working and friendly.
Pros
Friendly People, Hard Working Staff, Management Conscious Of Need To Improve Morale/Working Practices
I started at NewLaw a few years ago expecting to stay 1 year. Many do leave after a few months but there are good opportunities for those who stay. I have been promoted twice and support by management when I have changed roles. For those who want progression it is there if you work for it.
Improvements in staff benefits and rewards are needed but with a new management structure the general feeling is that this will happen.

Caseloads are high but there is a huge recruitment drive to increase staff numbers and reduce the case numbers.

The people who work here are great and make the place.
Pros
Great people and quality of work
Cons
Lack of benefits