Newcastle University Employee Reviews

good place to work
Estate Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Agriculture department29 January 2018
I enjoyed working at the university ,no two days were the same.One day you would been cleaning classrooms ,another day it would be labs .We worked on our own or in teams and everyone was very friendly
Good work life balance
Technician (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear14 January 2018
I love working here. The work life balance is fantastic. There are core hours to work and flexible start and finish times in my department. My boss is very reasonable and listens to me. I am treated as a valued member of the team and am glad I made the move to the university last year. I've just had a week off at Xmas which I didn't have at my old job and I get 5 weeks off throughout the year. There are regular emails so you know what's happening throughout the university too. The top of my pay grade does not go as high as my old job but I have a better work life balance which makes up for it. There is no chance of getting a higher grade in my department which is probably the only sticking point..
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Not much scope for advancement
it was good
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 January 2018
Nice place to work. Treated employees like humans unlike a lot of places. im filling the character count now or it wont let me continue and it's 10pm on friday night.
good yes i liked
student (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 December 2017
Motivated and inspired teammates through team talks and displaying a positive morale. Promoted to the top division in our second season. Was very enjoyable.
nice work atmosphere
Spanish teacher (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne7 November 2017
I really enjoy my work at the department. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. The installations have a good standart. Students are motivated and respectfull.
Permanent Employment in an ever changing environment
Accommodation Officer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear2 November 2017
A typical work involves a varied and complex work load

Too many variances to mention but to name a few time management, team work prioritising workloads to get the job done, debt management, one to ones, solving problems

Work driven and focused

The job is cyclical so remember working practices from one year to the next can be difficult

Working with students and staff members alike
Pros
Christmas Closure
Cons
Unable to take holiday from August to October
excellent way to gain experience
Student mentor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear11 October 2017
In this job i was expected to mentor first yer students and help them with anything they needed while settling into university life. I also provided tutoring if any of them required it.
Good working environment
phd student (Former Employee) –  Newcastle University (UK)27 September 2017
Very well equipped lab and good working environment. Nice colleagues. Work-life balance. Sufficient support and resource available to carry research work.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
low pay
Full time MBA course
Full Time MBA Student (Former Employee) –  MBA Course22 September 2017
I studied at Newcastle University Business School for a MBA. This was a year long full-time course comprising students from all around the world and all of whom had previous experience operating in the professional workspace. All study had to be supported by extensive pre-reading. Each module was finished with an assignment, the points for which were accumulated towards the MBA. Overall, despite the extensive study and preparation time, the course was very enjoyable.
Pros
Learning, working with students from overseas.
Cons
long hours!
Good course which offers plenty of support for students
Student (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear15 September 2017
An overall good course which covers a wide range of areas within chemistry. The level of teaching is mostly good, with the organic chemistry staff being by far the best of the bunch. There is a good level of support for students, both on my particular course and also from the university itself.

There are good facilities all around campus with an excellent main library.

The city itself is a vibrant student city with good nightlife, shops, places to eat and plenty going on.
Friendly and flexible
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne12 August 2017
Easy student based culture, understanding of time commitments etc. Great staff to work with making communications easy and fluid; would recommend to anyone outgoing.
Fun and Friendly
Freshers Week Crew member (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear27 July 2017
Knows what the students wants and listens to them. The Freshers Week is second to none and the sabbatical officers work tirelessly all year round. How a modern students union should be.
a great learning environment
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne,12 July 2017
A fantastic learning environment with great teacher support and world class learning facilities. Combines both classroom learning with practical fieldwork.
Excellent Employer
Secretary/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear22 June 2017
I have worked within the University for 12.5 years, of which the last 5 years were within the School of Arts and Cultures. They are very supportive and encouraging towards staff development.
Excellent Employer
Secretary/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear22 June 2017
Newcastle University is an excellent employer which I worked within Biology for 7.5 years. Within my time there I was supported and encouraged to develop skills and qualifications within the organisation.
Great place to work.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, UK20 June 2017
Simply a great place to work with lots of benefits. This probably depends whether your happy with the work you are doing though. Meaning the job you applied for. They do invest a lot of time and training in you which is never a bad thing.
Pros
Holidays, pension scheme, good training on your job, secure
Flexible
Accommodation tour guide (Current Employee) –  Newcastle20 June 2017
Easy to work around studying which makes it ideal for part time work. Good colleagues and staff are very accommodating and easy to get a long with which makes a good culture.
good place for PhD researcher
PhD researcher (Former Employee) –  Newcastle university24 May 2017
Gained a PhD degree in civil engineering

I have learned a lot in the university. very good research atmoshpere in my water group.

the hardest job is to develop my own numerical frame for water research
Student Mentor
Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom22 March 2017
Volunteer work.

The main focus was to help new students to make a smooth transition to being successfully integrated into the University and their programme through direct access to the advice and support of a more experienced peer.
Newcastle university
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, UK10 February 2017
Looking after over 20,000 students and 10,000 staff. Responsible for the safety and security of all students, staff and visitors.

Car parking patrols, key control, foot and mobile patrols.

A good choice of staff training courses available.

Working in a great team.