Newcastle University Employee Reviews

broken culture and corrupt staff
Research Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 June 2018
You'll find that all the faculties operate differently so the units and schools will have a totally different culture and management style, some bad, some good but they have one thing in common 'it's all about the academics and students'. Fair enough it's a university but admin staff in general don't get looked after.

Management is too afraid to challenge academics for their behaviour and practice and as a result admin staff get bullied and strained, having to work crazy hours to meet their demands.

Most management within the university also don't seem to be in the twenty-first century in terms of understanding that staff require motivation and investment to do their job well. HR are only there to back management up. Can't generalise but most staff think the same.

There's been a lot of restructuring lately so let's hope there are some good changes coming up. The university has so much potential for being a great place to work but it doesn't seem to do that very well at the moment.
Pros
good holiday entitlement, good salary grades, increments, good staff benefits, good colleagues
Cons
management, leadership, strategy, culture, bureaucracy, bad customer service
Relaxed environment
CALL AGENT (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 June 2018
Enjoyable, short hours, friendly atmosphere and good training!
Easy job once started but first calls are nerve-wracking. Overall, loved working here it was a valuable experience.
cool
Student mentor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne9 June 2018
great organisation adn lovely atmosphere. the city amazing love x free lunches, great hours, most enjoyable part is that theres a never two days the same love
Fun and energetic team
Course Representative (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear14 May 2018
-interesting job scope
-fairly last minute briefing regarding the appointed task
-flexible with the activity organised
-lively and friendly people
-good working environment
No problems
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne10 May 2018
It has been quite some time since I worked for Newcastle University but don't recall any significant problems. Only left because funding was not extended for my post.
Pros
Flexibility
Great Place to Work
HR Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 April 2018
Very friendly and great support for staff. Work volume can sometimes be overwhelming and having to work to tight deadlines that are sometimes impossible.
good place to work
Estate Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Agriculture department29 January 2018
I enjoyed working at the university ,no two days were the same.One day you would been cleaning classrooms ,another day it would be labs .We worked on our own or in teams and everyone was very friendly
Good work life balance
Technician (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear14 January 2018
I love working here. The work life balance is fantastic. There are core hours to work and flexible start and finish times in my department. My boss is very reasonable and listens to me. I am treated as a valued member of the team and am glad I made the move to the university last year. I've just had a week off at Xmas which I didn't have at my old job and I get 5 weeks off throughout the year. There are regular emails so you know what's happening throughout the university too. The top of my pay grade does not go as high as my old job but I have a better work life balance which makes up for it. There is no chance of getting a higher grade in my department which is probably the only sticking point..
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Not much scope for advancement
it was good
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 January 2018
Nice place to work. Treated employees like humans unlike a lot of places. im filling the character count now or it wont let me continue and it's 10pm on friday night.
good yes i liked
student (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 December 2017
Motivated and inspired teammates through team talks and displaying a positive morale. Promoted to the top division in our second season. Was very enjoyable.

Want to know more about Newcastle University?

Ask a question
nice work atmosphere
Spanish teacher (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne7 November 2017
I really enjoy my work at the department. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. The installations have a good standart. Students are motivated and respectfull.
Permanent Employment in an ever changing environment
Accommodation Officer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear2 November 2017
A typical work involves a varied and complex work load

Too many variances to mention but to name a few time management, team work prioritising workloads to get the job done, debt management, one to ones, solving problems

Work driven and focused

The job is cyclical so remember working practices from one year to the next can be difficult

Working with students and staff members alike
Pros
Christmas Closure
Cons
Unable to take holiday from August to October
excellent way to gain experience
Student mentor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear11 October 2017
In this job i was expected to mentor first yer students and help them with anything they needed while settling into university life. I also provided tutoring if any of them required it.
Good working environment
phd student (Former Employee) –  Newcastle University (UK)27 September 2017
Very well equipped lab and good working environment. Nice colleagues. Work-life balance. Sufficient support and resource available to carry research work.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
low pay
Full time MBA course
Full Time MBA Student (Former Employee) –  MBA Course22 September 2017
I studied at Newcastle University Business School for a MBA. This was a year long full-time course comprising students from all around the world and all of whom had previous experience operating in the professional workspace. All study had to be supported by extensive pre-reading. Each module was finished with an assignment, the points for which were accumulated towards the MBA. Overall, despite the extensive study and preparation time, the course was very enjoyable.
Pros
Learning, working with students from overseas.
Cons
long hours!
Good course which offers plenty of support for students
Student (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear15 September 2017
An overall good course which covers a wide range of areas within chemistry. The level of teaching is mostly good, with the organic chemistry staff being by far the best of the bunch. There is a good level of support for students, both on my particular course and also from the university itself.

There are good facilities all around campus with an excellent main library.

The city itself is a vibrant student city with good nightlife, shops, places to eat and plenty going on.
Friendly and flexible
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne12 August 2017
Easy student based culture, understanding of time commitments etc. Great staff to work with making communications easy and fluid; would recommend to anyone outgoing.
Fun and Friendly
Freshers Week Crew member (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear27 July 2017
Knows what the students wants and listens to them. The Freshers Week is second to none and the sabbatical officers work tirelessly all year round. How a modern students union should be.
a great learning environment
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne,12 July 2017
A fantastic learning environment with great teacher support and world class learning facilities. Combines both classroom learning with practical fieldwork.
Excellent Employer
Secretary/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear22 June 2017
I have worked within the University for 12.5 years, of which the last 5 years were within the School of Arts and Cultures. They are very supportive and encouraging towards staff development.