Newcastle University Employee Reviews

working with lecturers
Internship (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear2 February 2019
I worked with lecturers and other students in my cohort to conduct research into how the curriculum was being received by students and fed-back to lecturers on how to improve said curriculum.
Awful place - stay away from this "university"
Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear18 January 2019
They do NOT practise what they preach.
Fairness and equality? These are 2 words alien to the "Management" of this "organisation".
They treat casual workers as idiots.
They have no respect for anyone.
They exploit workers by underpaying them.
Inductions are UNPAID because they regard them as "interviews".

The worst employer I've ever came in contact with.
Pros
Based in the central area of Newcastle upon Tyne
Cons
Everything else you can think of
Would not recommend
Commercial (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear4 December 2018
The sort of place that says they want to 'enhance the student experience' by mistreating the students that work for them.

1/5 would not recommend working here.

Pay is alright even if the hours aren't great
Pros
Staff are alright
Cons
Managers are wank
Research asisstant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne1 December 2018
Performed initial client assessment and analysis to begin research process.
Researched and updated all required materials needed for colleges and other researchers..
Obtained documents, clearances, certificates and approvals from local, state and federal agencies.
Developed new process for research which resulted in marked performance improvements.
Analysed departmental documents for appropriate distribution and filing.
Excellent
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne19 November 2018
Excellent place to work. I imagine this varies depending on the department that you're in though. Always a well presented campus and everything is kept clean and tidy.
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 October 2018
•Increased my ability to work accurately and with attention to detail
•Enabled me to improved my communication, interpersonal and customer care skills
XRD officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne26 September 2018
Newcastle university is a great place to work with a healthy balance of social and work life.

The facilities for workers and students are well established and convenient.
productive fun workplace
CIMC General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear6 September 2018
on a typical day at work I would arrive early be greeted by my managers and be giving a morning team talk about we had to do that day. we would the go off and do those tasks for the morning then have our break then carry on with the rest of the day following al guidelines and making sure all health and safety procedures were followed
Good oppourtunities
Research associate (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne18 August 2018
Great opportunities and exposure to the latest research and innovations. Good facilities and industrial partnership available for case studies and fun projects.
wonderful working environment
Careers Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear19 July 2018
Newcastle University is a friendly place in a beautiful city. The team at the careers service are extremely friendly and welcoming, there is very much a team atmosphere.
broken culture and corrupt staff
Research Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 June 2018
You'll find that all the faculties operate differently so the units and schools will have a totally different culture and management style, some bad, some good but they have one thing in common 'it's all about the academics and students'. Fair enough it's a university but admin staff in general don't get looked after.

Management is too afraid to challenge academics for their behaviour and practice and as a result admin staff get bullied and strained, having to work crazy hours to meet their demands.

Most management within the university also don't seem to be in the twenty-first century in terms of understanding that staff require motivation and investment to do their job well. HR are only there to back management up. Can't generalise but most staff think the same.

There's been a lot of restructuring lately so let's hope there are some good changes coming up. The university has so much potential for being a great place to work but it doesn't seem to do that very well at the moment.
Pros
good holiday entitlement, good salary grades, increments, good staff benefits, good colleagues
Cons
management, leadership, strategy, culture, bureaucracy, bad customer service
Relaxed environment
CALL AGENT (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 June 2018
Enjoyable, short hours, friendly atmosphere and good training!
Easy job once started but first calls are nerve-wracking. Overall, loved working here it was a valuable experience.
cool
Student mentor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne9 June 2018
great organisation adn lovely atmosphere. the city amazing love x free lunches, great hours, most enjoyable part is that theres a never two days the same love
Fun and energetic team
Course Representative (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear14 May 2018
-interesting job scope
-fairly last minute briefing regarding the appointed task
-flexible with the activity organised
-lively and friendly people
-good working environment
No problems
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne10 May 2018
It has been quite some time since I worked for Newcastle University but don't recall any significant problems. Only left because funding was not extended for my post.
Pros
Flexibility
Great Place to Work
HR Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne11 April 2018
Very friendly and great support for staff. Work volume can sometimes be overwhelming and having to work to tight deadlines that are sometimes impossible.
good place to work
Estate Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Agriculture department29 January 2018
I enjoyed working at the university ,no two days were the same.One day you would been cleaning classrooms ,another day it would be labs .We worked on our own or in teams and everyone was very friendly
Good work life balance
Technician (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear14 January 2018
I love working here. The work life balance is fantastic. There are core hours to work and flexible start and finish times in my department. My boss is very reasonable and listens to me. I am treated as a valued member of the team and am glad I made the move to the university last year. I've just had a week off at Xmas which I didn't have at my old job and I get 5 weeks off throughout the year. There are regular emails so you know what's happening throughout the university too. The top of my pay grade does not go as high as my old job but I have a better work life balance which makes up for it. There is no chance of getting a higher grade in my department which is probably the only sticking point..
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Not much scope for advancement
it was good
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 January 2018
Nice place to work. Treated employees like humans unlike a lot of places. im filling the character count now or it wont let me continue and it's 10pm on friday night.
good yes i liked
student (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 December 2017
Motivated and inspired teammates through team talks and displaying a positive morale. Promoted to the top division in our second season. Was very enjoyable.