Newcastle College

Newcastle College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom76 reviews
Us and them
The college is large and has many staff. There is a disconnect between senior staff and the rest and it is difficult to know what the work culture should be.
I enjoy working at the college and all colleagues. Management are supportive, fully trusted to get on with the job at hand. Good training for staff full CPD days.
Pros
Good salary, not micro managed and trusted to do the job you are paid to do. Full support from Management.
Cons
Parking on site at the campus not great, unless there first thing or afternoon.
Teaching placement
I completed my teaching placement at Newcastle College, where I enjoyed teaching a group of students a subject I am so passionate about. I was giving the opportunity to design my own lesson plans and activities, and gained experience in adapting my lesson plans where needed.
Throughout my placement at Newcastle college, I felt that the lecturers which I worked alongside of were very supportive and always willing to help when needed.
Great staff but bullying culture
Long hours expected, little support from managers but staff are brilliant.
Plenty of holidays but restricted when you can take them.

Learners don't have restrictions or disciplined so run the place.
Over worked under paid
Company does not care about it's staff or students , bums on seats , and dare you join a union I started off with teaching 40 students a year with an assistant ended up with 97 needing weekly progress reviews marking tracking etc my wage in 8 yrs did not increase and with the 10 hr days plus weekend marking I was on less than minimum wage.
You never got any support higher than yr line manager ,I doubt the principal even knew my name as he never acknowledged me or any in my team even when one teacher who had spent 20 plus years there teaching did he even speak to her when she left. Management drive round in their BMW s juggling rating schemes for students with temperature charts and sacking pastoral care, student counsellors etc yet they spend thousands on replacing furniture and re painting fences the correct blue .
Pros
Hard working colleaguesCompany
Cons
Wage, works, out, less, than minimum
Nice Place
It was a very nice, clean and welcoming place with very helpful staff that could help with any inquiry at all. All of the equipment that was needed for certain tasks were provided and all worked.
Pros
Up to date equipment
Cons
Toilets could have been more pleasant
Un professional
Over worked
Undervalued

As Progression coach you are expected to do what a lecturer would do. But only given a progression coach wage and holidays.

No one knows what the job role entails including management. You are expected to teach students and are subject to observations when you do not have a lecturers role / wage.

My advice to anyone applying for a job here... DONT!
A good place to work.
Newcastle college promotes a Good Place to Work attitude. I have found that to be true. However they are under going a change in structure and things may change.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Newcastle College?
Newcastle college
It was good learning at Newcastle college, there was nice staff, nice students and a very good atmosphere. I was able to achieve a lot while being at Newcastle college.
Very busy though enjoyable when working with learners. However I left the college a number of years ago so this may well have changed. Management were extremely busy and so were not always able to be supportive. The hours were very long and there was little positive life balance
Pros
great students
Cons
poor life balance
Productive, fun place
Good college, teaches you a lot about cars systems in detail and goes over them with you working on cars in there workshops. In small groups so everyone can contribute to the team effort going into a task.
Excellent Mentoring
At Newcastle College I received excellent mentoring during my employment, in an inspirational and supportive department. Colleagues were motivational and supportive. Policies and procedures were clear.
Pros
Excellent atmosphere for progression
temp
on a temp contract - would happily take a perm here - nice place to work friendly staff and very comfortable surroundings -

salary a little low but massive holidays for the perms staff

A*
Enjoyed my time studying here.
Enjoyed my time studying here.

When studying here I enjooyed myself and made new friends.

Newcastle is great and I had good fun.

Yes no, ok yes I'll leave a review.
Pros
opposite of cons
Cons
Ican't remember
Good Team work
Home based Skills Trainer. Delivery of apprenticeships working alongside various employers.

I have been fortunate that Newcastle College funded my Diploma in Teaching in the Life Long Learning Section. Which helped me to prepare and deliver various levels of qualifications to a wide range of learners.
Pros
Home based
Productive and fun workplace
It was a Fellowship Programme once a week with some students from Newcastle College interacting with the staff to promote and attend the Newcastle College Public Lecture Series
Attend and participate in the Newcastle College RSA Committee

Attend and present the research in the British Conference for Undergraduate Research (BCUR)

Write a blog post experience

Attend and present at the HE Student Conference

Assist in peer reviewing the Newcastle College Student Journal Seven Bridges

Work on a project focused on enhancing the student experience at Newcastle College

Participate in feedback forums

Engage in learning and teaching activities
Productive and fun environment
I was attending the College to get help and advice on tweaking my cv and also how to focus on interview techniques to ensure I was able to get to the interview stage and also how to pass the interview in order to obtain a job.
The training was well worth having as I was able to gain several interviews after tweaking my cv and was also successful in gaining employment.
Progression is the answer
Supporting Learners in main stream classroom with physical and learning disabilities.
Breaking down assignment work, keeping learners on task, building their confidence.

Encouraging Learners to progress onto higher course or into employment.

The hardest part of the job, when my fixed term contract came to an end.

The most enjoyable part of the job is all of it.
Great staff but poor leadership
I enjoyed working with my colleagues at Newcastle College; there are some really great people working there. The facilities are pretty reasonable too, although slightly out of date.

What really lets this place down is middle-management and leadership. Leadership consistently make uninformed decisions and do not value their staff, as they believe there are always more teachers. This has lead to a great deal of inexperienced staff.

Middle-management are, for the most part, doing a job they aren't qualified to do which leads to a range of issues.

Overall, great front line staff but poor management and leadership.
Pros
Great front line staff.
Cons
Poor management and leadership.
fun workplace
a good place to go for education and I learned a lot in the course that I studied, very helpful staff, also a great place to meet new friends and socialise in the facilities that they have there
Used to be great
This used to be the place to work. Then they changed senior management and heads rolled and staff depressed. Too few staff and too much work. I did love the time I was there though.