New Look Employee Reviews in Manchester

Don't Bother!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester6 August 2018
So I've worked for new look for almost a year and honestly it's been a rollercoaster. You don't get acknowledged by management for keeping the shop presentable and practically running the floor because everyone else working there seems to 'disappear'. The sale here is ridiculously big and sometimes you're expected to tidy it by yourself. No rotation of staff at all. You'll be on one department for your whole shift and if you're lucky you'll move after you've had a break.

Management change your shift without giving you notice and expect you to know so when you don't turn up they call you moaning at you. If you're feeling unwell during your shift you will not be sent home as you are expected to work it.

3 month probation period is rubbish, don't be unwell they will sack you!!! It's happened recently and it'll happen again.
There isn't a pro-life balance because you WILL BE WORKING EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!!!!!! The hours are great until they rota you on every weekend and barely any weekday shifts. Management will rota you on days when you are unavailable.

As a student they will not think about you twice. You won't be able to complete coursework well before the due date because they will bombard you with hours.

There's more but I think you'll find that out yourself if you work there.
Pros
Paid holidays, 40% discount
Cons
The team, management, long hours
Management team were rude
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 January 2018
Management were rude, rearranged shifts without informing or asking people, and would deliberately call during days off, sick days, or ask you to come in outside of your availability (despite being a student with very strict availability). Most of the staff, the training and the culture of the work place was fun and helpful, but senior members of staff were often condescending and rude
Pros
50% off for staff
Cons
The management team made it feel impossible to enjoy working there
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester23 November 2017
A typical day at work was starting at 7am and completing the delivery by, from this job I learnt time management skill. The work place environment was fun and energetic lead by outstanding mangers.
Pros
Engaging and understanding managers
Cons
Not enough hours
Basic
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 November 2017
You get seriously underpaid for what you do. You also get false promotions, where they promote you to a 'specialist' so you can have more responsibility and stress, but no pay rise. The hours are unstable, you may get 30 hours one week and 4 hours the next. I think this job is suitable if your just looking for a part time job to keep you busy through out the day, but definitely not suitable for career progression or actually being financially stable enough to survive in society without debt. The people I worked with were nice, but that along with the discount was probably the only good thing.
Pros
Discount (40%)
Cons
Everything else.
Inflexible and ZERO room for work/life balance
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester13 July 2017
Minimal training, rota's change with as little as 16 hours notice despite them claiming 48 hours minimum, only discount after 3 months of working there.
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
Rota change with less than a days notice, no discount until 3 months
Fun working environment
Customer Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 June 2017
As a customer service manager my daily duties included driving personal, staff and company KPI's, creating incentives to drive sales and analysing reports and using data to make informed and commercial decisions.
Pros
Fast paced environment
Cons
Long hours, irregular shifts
Stressful and Unfair place of work
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester Arndale3 October 2016
Extremely rude and inconsiderate management team. They are extremely clique and if you do not fit into their clique you will not go very far in the company. The 50% discount is not worth the work and emotional stress.
Pros
50% Discount
Cons
Rude Management, Long Hours
fun place to work with great people and customers
footwear specialist (Current Employee) –  manchester13 September 2016
I love working their but feel that its not the place for me to make my career I need to be with a company that I can progress with
Pros
discount
Cons
only closed 2 days a year
Working at New Look
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester20 May 2016
It is a good place to work if you are looking for a job in retail, there are many busy days and lots of targets that would need to be hit. Working with the people at New Look is what keeps me there as i get to have a laugh with them and make new friends.
Pros
You get to keep up with all the latest trends. You get a discount.
fun and meet a variety of people
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester23 March 2016
I did enjoy working at Newlook, there were many great things about it. For example, There were multiple groups that had to compete against each other to meet the targets of that week. However, the hardest part was be able to stay on your feet for 4 hours without a break.
Pros
50% off clothing
Cons
no breaks
Enjoyable six years
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG8 July 2014
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at New Look and I have learnt many things in this role but I am now ready for new challenges in new environments.
Pros
50% off staff discount
Cons
Not a lot of training provided limited
great workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG26 March 2014
Working at new look is great, I love working in retail. On a early shift we would check standards and be briefed before opening the shop, the target we be given would be for store cards online orders and general cash targets, this would then become our main focus of the day alongside the customers needs.

The best part of my job was building the relationships with the customers and the satisfaction of knowing you gave god service and the worst part was simply the hours were not suited to me.
Pros
wonderful comany that looks after staff members
Cons
needed a higher contract
fun
Supervisor/ Management (Current Employee) –  manchester25 March 2014
On an average day my role requires me to respond to correspondences, complete morning health and safety and security checks. Then produce daily floorwalks to prepare for the days tasks. Daily floorwalks allow me to grade tasks due to priority and timescale and allow me to distribute relevant staff to certain tasks. As the second level of management I require little supervision, I've learnt very quickly how to use my own initiative and common sense. I’m able to take responsibility and be accountable for my own work whilst maintaining integrity and confidentiality in a fast past environment.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, ENG5 January 2014
A typical day at New Look is always different as you can put in a number of areas to work in. Working here has given me the opportunity to advance my skills in customer service and communication and working within a tight knit team.
Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester21 September 2013
Analysing and recording weekly brand activity to maximise profit

Identifying customer buying patterns to promote new season products to drive sales
Pros
Discount
Cons
No Breaks
Worst retail job I've ever had
Sales team leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester2 September 2013
STAY AWAY FROM NEW LOOK!!!!!!!!

I worked in new look for a year as a team leader. The pay is shocking the management is terrible and the lack of training is horrendous!!

They expected me to do EVERYTHING the manager would but I got nothing back, not even a well done and I was paid almost the same as sales assistants.

The staff were unenthusiastic and the management extremely catty (that was not my word if choice lol) and condescending!

Everyone I spoke to working in different stores in Manchester HATE it too and told of a few horror stories regarding staff and management, so avoid at all costs!!
Pros
Nothing!!!
Cons
Managements attitude, pay, stupid hours
Hated every minuet of it
Sales team leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 August 2013
I worked in newlook, as a Sales Team Leader for a year after leaving arcadia and it was the WORST decision I had ever made! They treated me like dirt! I was on a 16 hour contact but would be made to work up to 45. I did so much and got paid peanuts. When the manager wasn't there I would basically single handedly run the shop! With not even a 'thank you' yet when i needed time off for personal reasons I was denied it "just because" I would be expected to drop anything in my personal life to work and received no thanks or gratitude!! The regional managers were just as bad, non caring and condescending whilst they did next to nothing! Many of the other workers in mine and other stores felt the same way!

DON'T EVER WORK FOR NEW LOOK!! IT'S A TERRIBLE COMPANY!!
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE (sporadic hours, lack of thanks and praise, overall attitude of managers, lack of understanding, need I go on??)
Not the greatest place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester City Centre, ENG24 July 2013
New look is not the greatest place to work. The managers are always on your back, they shout and randomly change shifts without even giving a minimum notice of 24 hours it has happened several times that an employee has walked into work to find their shift that they have come in for has been changed without their knowledge. Some of the managers are not nice at all and are very hypocritical and do the things they shout at you for. The managers also stick together so you feel uncomfortable complaining about one to another. The head office is also very unhelpful in this matter as they rarely do anything about complaints even if many people complain about the same matter. On the other side if you do stay long enough to get comfortable with the managers it can be a fun place to work, as some managers are extremely nice and do have a laugh with you. The people who work alongside you are also mostly very friendly and can become good friends. They also do help you a lot when you are stuck for example they will help you tidy if their section is done or will put out dumps for you. on the all it can be a pleasant place to work but it is a very difficult place to work as management can be very harsh even if you have not done anything wrong!
Pros
discount, colleagues (at the same level as you!)
Cons
managers, random shift changes, difficulty getting holidays booked, managers, 3 hour shifts and oh did i mention managers!
Typical Day at Work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester Arndale28 November 2012
A typical day at work involves a range of responsibilities. One of the main responsibilities is to work at the till points, at the till points i have to help customers when they are buying chosen clothing. One of the main skills require at the till points is good customer service.

Another responsibility is to tidy up a particular clothing section whilst attending to the customers and giving them advice, a tidy clothing section allows customers to enjoy shopping more and increase the chance of them purchasing from New
Look. Furthermore, working in New Look requires a good fashionable sense which projects that you are in the right environment and also this increases the likelihood of customers buying from New Look.
Pros
50% discount on new looking clothing