New Forest District Council Employee Reviews

very enjoyable
ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  new forest6 November 2018
this is a job full of new experience every day checking cars for infringement of parking in car parks and street parking including stray dogs collection and fly tipping
Pros
very flexable
good job
Waste Operative (Current Employee) –  New Forest, Hampshire2 August 2018
public sector, busy work pace, very fast turn around, not for the faint hearted or the weak stomach, fitness is key, good morale in the work place, good hours.
fun workplace
east southampton (Former Employee) –  east southampton26 July 2018
it was a good work experience and taught me a lot about working with people and comminication within in a team to solve problems and become a better employee
Pros
many breaks
Cons
long travel
Enjoyable place to work.
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Sheltered housing.17 April 2018
I work in a sheltered housing complex,my typical day is,cleaning lounge,corridors,toilets and bin areas.I also like to do coffee morning for the residents.
Good work place
Fitness coach (Current Employee) –  Totton11 April 2018
Good company to work for overall. Good holiday pay. Many different roles available within the centre and this means that there are opportunities for self progression.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
Training
Overall good to work for
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Southampton9 April 2018
I have worked as a receptionist for NFDC for around 2 years and have rarely had a 'bad' experience. Other staff are great to work with, good rate of pay and communication is good.
Pros
Salary, co-workers, working environment
Cons
Employees views aren't always listened to
Supportive and reliable employer.
Electrician Improver (Former Employee) –  Lymington6 January 2018
NFDC took a chance on me and out me through an apprenticeship which i really struggled to get, due to being a woman!!
I had fantastic management team whom I would work for again. There's a general staff unhappiness but I think it's just moaning for mornings sake. Its a reliable and constant role, not much opportunity to push career ahead but for me it helped me no end.
na
Business Partner / Management Accountant (Former Employee) –  Lymington, Hampshire18 May 2017
Terrible finance department and atmosphere. Run by unpleasant management team both in finance and at executive level. Too many cuts to staff and services to the public.
fairly secure reasonably paid workplace
Neighbourhood and Tenancy management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst4 April 2017
local government spending cuts have led to restructures, management changes and staff redeployment, this is set to continue for at least the remainder of the current parliament. The council are likely to redeploy rather than give involuntary redundancy because there are a number of different roles you can do. Flexi-time is great, there is lots of parking on site.
The council can be difficult to work for if you have worked in the private sector previously because the council enjoy doing pointless tasks over and over again like collecting documentation from tenants across several different departments. Policies are subjective and different members of staff can interpret them differently which can lead to problems. Management not always supportive of staff, join Unison if you work for them
Pros
flexitime
Cons
instability caused by austerity
Slow Progression to 21st Century
Landlord Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, Hampshire17 February 2017
NFDC used to be an excellent Local Authority to work for however recent major structural reviews have caused major upset for staff. Efficiency Savings have seen the loss of many experienced members of staff and services have been amalgamated. It is now a very different organisation to what it was.
The people made NFDC an excellent place to work. IT systems are poor compared to other organisations. Remote working is hampered by the lack of IT tools to enable this to work effectively. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and the hardest part of the job is the distance between Senior Management and front line Officers.
Pros
Front line Officers
Cons
Inexperienced Managers

Want to know more about New Forest District Council?

Ask a question
Clean safe and fun
Lead sports instructir (Current Employee) –  Totton, Hampshire2 January 2017
Great people busy centre always something new to challenge. Family friendly, new gym swimming lessons through out the week with friendly keen staff to make it fun
Forward thinking and strong values
Facility Manager - Applemore health and leisure (Former Employee) –  New Forest18 November 2016
Leisure centres with New Forest District Council are efficient and well run operations. Strong in staff support and development and committed to customer service and health and safety.

There is an expectation to work hard and present yourself professionally. Socially the job is enjoyable yet can be pressured and very busy at times.
A good team
Electrician (Current Employee) –  New Forest28 September 2016
A good team of workers who are willing to help each other to get the job finished on time. Other members of the work force are always forthcoming with additional information about particular jobs or accessibility to equipment.
Pros
Pension and sick pay
Cons
Lack of hours
My favourite employer to date
Building Surveyor (Former Employee) –  New Forest29 July 2016
Although on a temporary contract (that lasted 2 years) this was without doubt one of the happiest places I have ever worked. The staff were on the whole very welcoming and the mangement were helpful and encouraging.

Travelling across the New Forest everyday, as part of my job, added to the job satisfaction and I cannot think of any part of the job that was difficult. The work was challenging and and involved me learning many new skills but my line manager steered me through the difficulties.
Pros
Location and staff
Cons
The job wasn't permanent or I would still be there.
Traditional
Landlord Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst4 May 2016
My working day involved planning around the Decommissioning of former Sheltered Housing Schemes and the future of the councils stock in relation to the provision of Extra Care. I was responsible for many services throughout my time at NFDC including: Community Alarms, Floating Support Service, Sheltered Housing Service, Rent & Arrears Recovery Service, Customer Services, Estate Management and Resident Involvement.
I was at one time responsible for in excess of 35 members of staff including their Managers.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with negativity from tenants when decisions did not go their way.
The most important part of the job was the occasional thank you from tenants or the involved tenants when their views were incorporated into Policy.
Pros
The location of the office was situated in a beautiful part of the country.
Cons
The constraints of Local Government.
Efficient and enjoyable
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Totton12 April 2016
A typical day at work is physically hard but rewarding. I have learnt several skills from working with the NFDC such as First Aid, Safeguarding in the work place and working with children.
Pros
Free gym and classes at certain times
Cons
physically draining
Great for meeting people from all different backgrounds
Private Hire Driver (Former Employee) –  all over uk8 October 2013
Whilst doing this job you never really knew what the day would bring, from picking up/dropping off somebody at the airport or cruise ship & hearing about adventures they have had or about to embark upon to picking up people from the shops & chatting about the day they have had.

You learn how to communicate with all kinds of people and it pays to be a good listener.

The hardest part of the job was the long unsociable hours, sometimes working till late in the evening very early starts sometimes seven days a week.

On occasions you would pick people up who could be in a distressed situation and needed to be somewhere urgently & after delivering them safely to their destination could be very rewarding
Pros
travel locations