Network Rail Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Cloud Solutions Architect (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes3 August 2017
Developing new strategies, keeping up with mordern technologies and large emphasis on training. Implementing and migrating with a lot of focus on IT security.
Pros
relaxed working environment
Cons
could do with remote working
Dedicated and motivated workforce
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow26 July 2017
I was the document controller on the Airdrie to Bathgate Project, which was a multi million pound project involving new track, bridges, overhead wires etc which was achieved on time with the help of great team work.
To Many Chiefs
On-Train Technician (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire23 July 2017
To many high level management members with good budget bashing ideas that always fall through.
The department I was in wasn't well known for its strong leadership, it was more known for its mutiny within the lower ranks.
Very varied pay structure - you would find yourself working with people who have been there the same time as you and do the same job yet they would be on a couple of thousand more (or less) than yourself.
A good company to work for with plenty of directions to progress
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire12 July 2017
I have had a fantastic time working for network rail and have travelled from south to north for work and have encountered many different views from different cultures but all strive to meet the same goal a safer railway
Pros
Working in some lovely surroundings
Cons
Lots of weekend work not much time for family time
Fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire9 July 2017
I worked there for 2 weeks as part of my work experience hence I cannot rate the salary/security. But the time was truly advantageous for me as the entire team performed and worked well.

The day would begin reviewing the different complains with the higher priority complaints being completed first. This taught me to learn to organise my work and understand how to communicate with the customers better.
dictatorship on the rails
Technician (Former Employee) –  various5 July 2017
good if your single and and want to give your life away
full of over priced management with no clue purely kept on due to being in right place at right time.
no real progression matrix that works as people can be fast tracked if they have friends or family in high positions.
regular 12 hour weekend shifts where you dont get paided for travel time but do 12 hr on site and maybe 2 hr each way travel for free.
Pros
pension
Cons
everything else
brilliant
Senior Site Support & Security Officer (Current Employee) –  West Midlands29 June 2017
I have worked here for almost 5 years and i can not recommend this company enough. They truly invest time and money into their staff, which i believe is very rare.
Good employer
Head of Resideential Development (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester24 June 2017
Generally a good employer although recent change to become a public sector has meant a greater requirement to meet Government requirements. Approach to staff welfare and safety is very positive.
Pros
High level safety and well being
Cons
Becoming a public sector body
Good Atmos
Logistics (Current Employee) –  UK21 June 2017
Nice Place too Work, Very Flexible, talented bunch of people I work with. National Company and great job security.
Need to work on training programmes as its promoted but doesn't really happen
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Progression Limited
good company
Trainee track design engineer (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire20 June 2017
At Network Rail, safety is paramount. The safety of passengers and other members of the public using our infrastructure, the safety of our employees and safety in our partnerships. You can find out more about how we apply the highest standards of safety across our busines.
Mentally challenging Place to work
Signal Designer (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire16 June 2017
An exciting place to work. Full of mentally challenging situations. Balance work and personal life by providing flexible working hours by arrangement with Line Manager.
Excellent place to work.
Financial Controller (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes12 June 2017
Network Rail are a great employer to work for. They are committed to getting the best out of their people, focussing on development and work life balance. The work is challenging but support is available within the immediate and broader NR family.
Pros
Great people to work with
Enjoy working here
maintenance rail worker (Current Employee) –  Preston England10 June 2017
I enjoy working for network rail and have made some very good friends. However I do not feel like I am progressing! I think that I could achieve more and could see myself in a higher role.
The job of a signaller is varied but interesting.
Signaller (Former Employee) –  Wimbldon9 June 2017
The job of the signaller is varied but can be interesting (depends on where you are based) you get to work with interesting people who are very profesional in what they do and it is important to work as a team.Day to day running can change at a moments notice from running normally to late running you have try and deal with delays and make snap desisions and try and maintain the service and get back to normal running as soon as you can.
Pros
free travel
Cons
long hours, shift work.
Great company, but strange priorities
Lead Examination Inspector (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire31 May 2017
Very rewarding company is the sense that they pay excellent salaries and there are plenty of jobs on offer. However they do not pay attention to their own set standards when it comes to internal training of their staff for development.
Pros
High salaries
Cons
Lies about future personal development
Work Experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 May 2017
Good for work experience. Provided me with a clear understanding of the company and allowed me to broaden my knowledge and understanding of a fast paced work life.
Very well organised company
Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear25 May 2017
Great company. Many benefits to working here from lovely staff to career progression. This is most certainly a career for life. This company will help and support you in any way possible. Best company I have worked for.
Pros
Expenses, Travel
Cons
Apprenticeship doesn't allow for a good work life balance
1 day
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London22 May 2017
Thanks for giving me a chance to see a really interesting project under the supervision of a really enthusiastic mentor and his team. only there a day - wish it could have been longer.
A good place to start off your career.
Project Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London11 May 2017
A good place to start off your career. A mixture of talented people. Are you on email? You simple have to be these days. A good place to start off your career. Some room for career progression.
interesting workplace
Architectural Consultant & CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 May 2017
Working on a major project with a main contractor and various sub-contractors requires good communication and coordination between all parties and good management leadership to ensure delivery of the works on time.