Network Rail Employee Reviews

Enjoyable work, not so enjoyable managment
Structures Examiner (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria22 November 2017
Really would not like to add too much detial, but i felt the company was putting lives of their staff at risk on a daily basis. And then "covering-up" the many incidents that the national tabloids would expose.
Pros
Work from home, plan own work life
Cons
mangement
Railway Worker (Current Employee) –  Carlisle13 November 2017
Network rail is a good job overall, although the health and safety side of work is a joke, i mean that there is so much health and safety that you cannot get work done half of the time because of the fear of an accident or insurance claim by the management.
Pros
Easy work easy money
Cons
No job satisfaction
Good company to work for
HR Recruitment Support Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manchester Piccadilly Station, Greater Manchester8 November 2017
I was processing both external and internal job offers for Network Rail vacancies using the in-house recruitment system. Preparing all offers of employment and complex terms and conditions (contracts) for candidates, which was completely new to me and I enjoyed learning about it. Liaising with Resourcers in a professional and courteous manner resolving potential and/or existing issues both verbally and in writing. Keeping process trackers (MS Excel) up to date, booking medicals both for face to face and online assessment and always maintaining high levels of attention to detail, which required a high level of concentration. Again this was something entirely new to me and at times very taxing and definitely tiring. Dealing with accepted offers and start dates in order to assist the on-boarding process. Being a team player, helping out the team wherever necessary to keep on top of all required jobs i.e. uploading medical fit slips, filing medical online reports, processing revised offers and/or forwarding requests from candidates to the relevant Resourcer and retaining ownership of any issues to ensure their speedy resolution. The team was really lovely and they welcomed me warmly. It was really lovely working with them. My team manager was very helpful and supportive and it was great working under him.
Pros
I received help with the payments for the train travel to work.
Cons
Long commute as sometimes the trains were delayed of cancelled.
Safety Focussed
Station Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 November 2017
I used to work at Birmingham New Street Station
I had to leave due to relocating to the North West

Network Rail are an inclusive company with great ethics.

Working at Birmingham New Street station was rewarding and
you get to meet " the public " and understand everyones needs.
Pros
Good Team
Overbearing
Maintenance Operative (Current Employee) –  Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland11 October 2017
An industry that pays well but treats it's workers like dirt. Run by 'old boys' culture above their own rules. Please do something else for the sake of your own sanity.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Fantastic place to work with many benefits and professional
Acting team leader (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex11 October 2017
I absolutely loved my time working for network rail. I was trained to a extremely high standard and was given the all the support I needed to progress from operative to team leader.
Pros
All training and uniform provided
Cons
Dangerous job
Unsocialable hours but good pay/ benefits
Works Delivery Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon10 October 2017
Most work is carried out during nights and weekends. Salary is good and good job security.

I started through the apprenticeship scheme. Apprentice scheme was well set up and organised which included living away for first 10 months on a military base where all food, accommodation was paid for.

Since completing I have had good opportunities to progress.
Pros
pay
Cons
Unsociable working hours
Productive and hard working
Mobile Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  London9 October 2017
Every day was different, you had to be alert when things went wrong. The hardest part of the job was to deal with certain incidences, i.e. Fatalities, but the enjoyable part of it was getting the satisfaction out of doing the job well in a professional manner.
good
Resourcing Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 October 2017
A supportive working environment, you are allowed to learn and grow and use your own initiative.
Management was great and supportive
I learnt lean sigma and data analytics reporting using ORACLE
Culture is inclusive and fun
Having my peer to call on for insights and the bonding in the team
Pros
Free Bus Ride back to London during major disruption to Train
Not Bad
Distribution Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham4 October 2017
there is no such thing as a typical day on the railway. depening on shift pattern, area, section etc. the job can vary hugely across the company.
Depending where you work the management also varies hugley but on the most part they are very good.
YOu will learn a lot within the company about yourself as well as about the job.
the hardest part of the job is definetely the hours. Shift work means some very unsocianle hours as we have to slot track access in around the running of trains
Document Controller
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, UK4 October 2017
I was employed to work on the Basingstoke Infrastructure Project for Network Rail.

• Organised and implemented the project folders on the server as per GRIP.
• Using the PIMS database for the controlling of documents, drawings, correspondence etc.
• Liaise with contractors, TOC’s, FOC’s and Network Rail staff in other assets.
• Implementing CCMS into the Basingstoke office for the control and maintenance of project documentation
Enjoyable place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Westbury, Wiltshire2 October 2017
The job was ruined by managers not practicing what they preached it was an attitude of get the work done no matter what if you spoke up and questioned something you were then the black sheep.
Pros
Cons
Weekend working 1off in 5
Fun and proffesional environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire28 September 2017
NR is not my most recent job! I enjoyed working for company and I was disappointed when the temporary cover ran out. I covered for a member of staff whilst they were on maternity.

I learnt a lot working for NR, using in house systems designed purposely for the organisation.

The staff I worked with were helpful, friendly and very supportive.

The most challenging part of my role was keeping to strict deadlines and prioritising a heavy workload.

I enjoyed the challenges working within a bust department and the most enjoyable part was the early finish on a Friday!!
Pros
Great team of people to work with.
Cons
Heavy work load with strict deadlines
fun workplace
railway welder (Current Employee) –  London26 September 2017
I love working for network rail but there seems to be hard to progress with in network rail I just wont to better my self and my life and if I can find a job that looks like I can do that I wood leave but it wood be hard
Pros
if we need anything we get it
Cons
Safety/Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Clapham Junction, Greater London6 September 2017
Hours can be long and unsociable, but on the whole, the people in general are quite good to work with.

Though the constant change in upper management can cause issues and frustration.
Pros
Free rail travel
Cons
Always exceed your hours.
Mixed
Scheme Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 September 2017
Limited salaries and prospects, struggle to get training, reasonable working hours, limited expectations. Probably a decent environment for people who want security
contracted to NWR
PMO Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes4 September 2017
Their culture is about safety of the individual and management communication is very good, The working environment in Milton Keynes is excellent with excellent facilities
Pros
Great place to work nice people, good management
Cons
a little old fashioned in ways of working still
Fast Learning Curve
Principal Risk & Value Manager (Current Employee) –  London4 September 2017
Experienced a good work life balance and found a great ethos. In addition a good place to learn and grow in terms of experience.

Quite unionised and slow career progress.
Pros
Work / Life Balance
Cons
Career Progression
Change due to circumstances
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 September 2017
I have given 100% to each and every company that I have worked for. Trying to be an integral part of the everyday smooth running of whatever I do. Due to circumstances out of my control with back pain I now find myself facing my next challenge in life. I always face my challenges head on and I am willing to reeducate myself to get where I need to be.
Pros
New challenges welcome
Cons
Suffer with back pain
Secure place of employment
Resourcer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 August 2017
Always job for life, fun , friendly environment.
Open, challenging culture, fast paced culture
Enjoy the people some are good laugh, and its a secure place to move up in the organisation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Network Rail. Our community is ready to answer.