Network Rail Employee Reviews

Programme Management
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  London30 May 2018
The role was a great position to be in and with a varied responsibility. I gained a great knowledge of the management role and also leading people.
The workplace within the business were sometimes historical but this in the latter years changed to a "today" culture and behavioural working.
The people who worked in the business were committed and have this industry their career life.
Pros
Enjoyable to go to work
Cons
constant changes within the business units
Bad Shifts
Station Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester22 October 2018
Very bad shifts for anyone who is married or wants a family. Station side is where I work and the shifts are very poor and the shift pattern is over 6 weeks.
Pros
Cons
No free travel with train firms
Great company to work for
Controller of site safety (Former Employee) –  Essex13 November 2018
Great working environment, lovely bunch of people and an amazing boss. The job had many benefits and allows you to progress and achieve what you want to.
Decent
Commercial Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire26 October 2018
Good fast paced company with various skill sets - liked their safety critical views. Many areas of the works have specialised managers dealing with their skill so very easy to learn
productive and friendly
Asistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 May 2018
whilst I was working there as work experience I couldn't but notice how friendly everyone was and how productive they all were, the staff were very friendly as one went to the effort of putting a ton of food out for everyone to eat and to pay for the food everyone was trusted to pay the money without anyone selling the foods and not stealing it.
Application test
Planner (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 July 2018
Great conpany lots of variety of people, very friendly team. The hours are the hours you do occasion there is overt, but very rarely. Parking facilities is excellent. There’s test in order for you to get an interview, which think is ridiculous
Cons
Test doesn’t show you as a person
Did enjoy working for network rail
Team leader/rail tester (Former Employee) –  Manchester10 July 2018
Enjoyed my time here got on well with work colleagues and management my typical day at work consisted of going out testing rail for defects sizing them then actioning them.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Traveling daily to and from Manchester
Some great jobs
Site manager - Contract (Former Employee) –  Glasgow15 May 2018
writing method statements and work schedules. Visiting site installation and Meeting with work crews and other management teams.
How to overcome logistical problem quickly
Higher management helpful
Work place culture safety first always
working away from home
finishing project on time and in profit
Pros
Salary
Cons
working away from home
My job
Performance Improvement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London24 May 2018
Working in central London is a great place to be coupled with working within an industry that his highly customer focused makes the experience even better.

My role can be challenging but is what makes it important and gives me the willingness to succeed when taking on a task.
Excellent hours and good work/home life balance.
Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Shenfield, Essex10 April 2018
Excellent place to work. Office is relaxed and people enjoy a good laugh together. Good work ethic although too old school and no one wants to change with the times.
Pros
Flexi working. Opportunity to work from home. Subsidied travel. Excellent pension scheme
Cons
Can get stuck in the same old same old day to day. No major challenges
PERFECT work/life balance! Salary a lot more than advertised
Signaller (Current Employee) –  Wales27 May 2018
Those saying the work/life balance are terrible have clearly never held another job! As a signaller you work either 3x 12hr shifts or 4x 8hr shifts. The opportunity to occasionally work rest days (overtime) is there at 125% of graded hourly pay, and sundays are 150%. Overtime is not compulsory. The salary is significantly higher than stated when considering the extra pay for Bank Holidays, Overtime, Night time allowance, annual bonus, Sunday’s etc. You can add a minimum of £6,000 onto the quoted salary easily. As a signaller you work alone, and very occasionally your Local or Mobile Ops Manager might come round for a chat. The training course is 12 weeks (paid) while accommodated in a hotel with a meal allowance. It is ‘cheeky’ with A LOT to take on board. I’ve seen my boss 3 times in the last 12 months... Having previously served 14 years in the Army, I would HIGHLY recommend this job!
Pros
Working alone, Pay, 3-4 day week
Cons
Working alone if you don’t like your own company...
Dedicated and pro active workforce
Technical Office Manager (Overhead Line) (Former Employee) –  London5 March 2018
Managing all day to day aspects of running an office. Producing SSOWPS plans for the staff and contractors.
Learning a completely new sector, the staff were great at teaching me everything about the Overhead Line.
Management were very involved at every level.
Great place to work.
Hardest part was producing a lot of paperwork that didn't always get used.
I enjoyed working with everyone here, everyone went above and beyond their duties to work as a great team
Pros
Teamwork and committment
Cons
Could be very changeable
It's always difficult running a 21st century railway which was built in the 19th century
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sheffield1 March 2018
I worked as many different roles within NWR and found the job culture to be different in each. Getting out and fixing hardware on the side of the track is fun, but the general culture of the staff I worked with was lazy and selfish. In the Projects department, the culture is much better and you get to make a bigger difference.
Pros
Good benefits and wages
Cons
Some managers promoted through seniority, not ability
Great company to work for
IT Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Manchester25 April 2018
i would recommend working for this company. I am working on Helpdesk and i enjoy the role but i am looking for a new challenge. The role on the help-desk opens up lot of opportunities to progress in your career.
Pros
Free Tea/Coffee, Canteen, Benefits Program
Excellent
System Operator (Current Employee) –  Swindon27 June 2018
Network Rail are an excellent company to work for.

The team I worked with were exceptional, very professional and help each other in the team. Great Team spirit..
Pros
People
Very Good
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manchester8 May 2018
Learning and Development careers structure was exceptional. I went on six sigma, handling difficult conversations and time management courses. Network invests a lot of of resources in staff training.
Pros
Staff day outs
Cons
N/a
Secure company
Incident Controller (Current Employee) –  Waterloo Station10 May 2018
High job security here. Salaries good in certain areas but big divides between operations and management / project. Plenty of opportunity for advancement but often highly specialised areas.
Typical day at work
SECTION PLANNER ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  London1 June 2018
Typical day at work. Good place to work. Paid on time good benefits with 75% off travel. Holiday and sick pay. Environemt differs where ever you work.
Enjoyable
S&T Faulting & Maintenance Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  Coventry13 February 2018
I loved my job at network rail, but unfortunately personal reasons made me leave. I would go back tomorrow if I had the chance!
Every day was different in respects of fault investigations which made it challenging and good fun.
The hardest part of the job was trying to balance work life and home life
Pros
Everyday different
Cons
Shifts
Safety Critical
SSM/Signaller. (Former Employee) –  WSSC/Yoker IECC24 January 2018
Long term employment with job security within NWRs Operations side of the business.
Ability to work well under pressure and as part of s team. Imperative that messages conscerning Safety Critical Communications are fully understood at all times. An ability to work under supervision and own own initiative when required.
Pros
Job security & pay.
Cons
Shift work, poor work life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Network Rail. Our community is ready to answer.