Network Rail Pay & Benefits reviews

Good to work for
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bristol27 January 2018
Very good job learn every day a pleasure to go to work and treated equally flexible hours all opinions listened to and taken onboard and protective clothing supplied
Good benefits package
Resourcing Advisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester8 December 2017
Benefits include 28 days' holiday plus the 8 bank holidays, options to buy or sell annual leave annually, annual company bonus, subsidised travel to work, 5 days volunteer leave per year, standard 35 hour week
Railway Worker (Current Employee) –  Carlisle13 November 2017
Network rail is a good job overall, although the health and safety side of work is a joke, i mean that there is so much health and safety that you cannot get work done half of the time because of the fear of an accident or insurance claim by the management.
Pros
Easy work easy money
Cons
No job satisfaction
Unsocialable hours but good pay/ benefits
Works Delivery Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon10 October 2017
Most work is carried out during nights and weekends. Salary is good and good job security.

I started through the apprenticeship scheme. Apprentice scheme was well set up and organised which included living away for first 10 months on a military base where all food, accommodation was paid for.

Since completing I have had good opportunities to progress.
Pros
pay
Cons
Unsociable working hours
Safety/Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Clapham Junction, Greater London6 September 2017
Hours can be long and unsociable, but on the whole, the people in general are quite good to work with.

Though the constant change in upper management can cause issues and frustration.
Pros
Free rail travel
Cons
Always exceed your hours.
Not a happy workplace
Section Planner (Former Employee) –  Crewe17 August 2017
Very stressful environment.with no extra staff Maintenance area covered was growing with no extra staff to cover work. Staff getting stretched thinner and thinner
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Always taking work home for no extra reward
Fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire9 July 2017
I worked there for 2 weeks as part of my work experience hence I cannot rate the salary/security. But the time was truly advantageous for me as the entire team performed and worked well.

The day would begin reviewing the different complains with the higher priority complaints being completed first. This taught me to learn to organise my work and understand how to communicate with the customers better.
dictatorship on the rails
Technician (Former Employee) –  various5 July 2017
good if your single and and want to give your life away
full of over priced management with no clue purely kept on due to being in right place at right time.
no real progression matrix that works as people can be fast tracked if they have friends or family in high positions.
regular 12 hour weekend shifts where you dont get paided for travel time but do 12 hr on site and maybe 2 hr each way travel for free.
Pros
pension
Cons
everything else
Very well organised company
Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear25 May 2017
Great company. Many benefits to working here from lovely staff to career progression. This is most certainly a career for life. This company will help and support you in any way possible. Best company I have worked for.
Pros
Expenses, Travel
Cons
Apprenticeship doesn't allow for a good work life balance
Good salary but no work/life balance
Technician (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire13 March 2017
Good big company to work for but be prepared to give up your social life.Training is second to none and the salary is really good. Safety seems to be key at this company which is also great.
Pros
Good training and salary
Cons
Long hours on weekends/work most weekends
Hard work good rewards
Team leader grinder (Current Employee) –  Redhill, Surrey27 February 2017
I have been with network rail for 22 years had lots of training for many skills that are needed to cover my working day .Which will start 6.30 in the morning with a team their before we go out on track the management are very fair and will listen to any problems we have so over all a good company.
Pros
Free travel good pension
Cons
Long days and nights
Productive and fun place to work
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Tile Hill Network Rail26 February 2017
Productive and fun place to work.Friendly stuff willing to help in any situation.Good management.Good place for someone who want to start a career in Catering.
Pros
free lunches
Terrible, uncaring,disgusting
Purchasing Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire24 January 2017
A typical day at work was being treated like cattle
I learned very quickly that even though the perks were good you were overworked and under praised
management was disgusting on every level
workplace culture was to care about yourself
the hardest part of the job was turning up
The best part was going home
fun and productive place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands8 January 2017
Working at network rail has improved my ability to deal well with many differnt costomers. a family welcome from staff and managment alike. with a wide rade of jobs for everyone
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Good
Operative (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke4 January 2017
Good company to work for. Every day varies and alot to take in.

Found the people working here are extremely friendly.
Alot to take in but there is a sharp learning curve which i really enjoy.
Pros
Varying days
Cons
N/a
Management Accountant (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2017
A very interesting company to work for. It is a very large organisation and I have learnt a lot about the Rail industry. People are really helpful and always there to support you. I worked on the property section and station Retail.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
salary not that good
as below
Quality Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  London2 December 2016
Network Rail, was a enjoyable company to work for, as a school leaver I entered as an OLE trainee engineer and over the years I developed into a manager of OHLE to managing the quality assurance for UK and Europe also the Cross Rail and Great western project. Network Rail are a very good at helping you achieve your goals by enrolling you on training courses to meet your goals.

My fellow co workers were a great bunch of people who were very helpful and some become good friends.
Pros
great benefits, progression is helped by company with training courses always being available
Cons
As a maintance engineer the night shifts and weather conditions were not always great
A world of opportunities
Liability Negotiations Advisor (Current Employee) –  York31 October 2016
With over 35,000 employees, Network Rail is sure to have the career for you. From front of office to Director and literally everything in between. Project Management, Engineering, Digital Railway, GSM-r, Signalling, the list is endless.
Pros
Competative salary and benefits
Cons
Certain management culture
Very interesting and fun place to work with great health and saftey
Controller of site safety / team leader (Former Employee) –  Woking18 October 2016
I would say its a great company to work for.lots of courses to go on and learn emergency first aid,all all aspects of track engineering to maintenace.I have learnt alot over the years .
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Quite long hours nights and days
Room for advancement
Signaller (Former Employee) –  Oxford22 September 2016
Plenty of room for advancement in the Signalling grades with all parts of the country short of those prepared to take the job on.

Posts are graded according to business and responsibility, the higher the number the busier the job, the more the pay.

Responsible work requiring a good knowledge of the rule Book which is learnt as the Signalling School prior to going to your allocated box.

You will be trained to be competent, tested on the rules by two independent persons before being allowed to work alone. On going training four times a year.

Mixed bag as regards your colleagues and is dependant on where you work, sometimeas alone, other times in a modern signalling centre with a number of others.
Pros
Good salary.
Cons
Shift work, some of those you work with.