Network Rail Management reviews

Appalling company
Operative (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London18 December 2018
The only good thing about it is the amount of Overtime work is offered to you and the salary and additional benefits everything else is terrible management are useless offer no support in anything you do instead rudely dismiss you next to no chance of even advancing within the company or even changing discipline. Tfl offer much better packages and opportunities across the board something this company fails to do so.
Pros
Salary and overtime
Cons
Poor Management
Good rewards but fragmented culture
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crewe, Cheshire3 September 2018
The company offers good rewards in terms of salary, although the management bands 1-4 are very unhappy with their treatment over the last few years.

Safety is the biggest priority but the safety culture is still lacking and there is little emphasis on understanding, it is more geared to briefing and getting staff to sign, rather than engaging and understanding in meaningful feedback.
Great development, work life balance and salary
Performance& Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  London22 August 2018
Great development, work life balance and salary

Lots of support from senior management in terms of development, training and flexible working. As long as the job is done well the rest is flexible
Pros
subsidized travel in London
overview
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol20 August 2018
Working for Network Rail as a customer servive agent has been a fantastic experience as I have improved my social skills.
However the workplace culture and the management at the Echo call centre which runs the campaign on behalf of Network Rail was low standard.
The management team was extremely unprofessional, and didn't have good people skills, agents were fired in such a fast speed that was disgraceful. People should not be treated like that, no sign of respect for employees at all.
Also not all agents were asked to do work on the social media side of the campaign which that is unacceptable in 2018 when we live in a society that we are predominately living on social media.
Therefore it did not come by surprise when we find out that the campaing is closing down in Bristol just after 5 months of its launch and be relocated back in Hull. Everybody was made redundant! Oh well! Very bad managements!
Pros
Central Bristol easy to get to
Cons
Awful management
Every day is different
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  UK30 July 2018
Dependant on what area you work in, every day can be different.

You can be working outside in all weathers on the track, or you could be a support function working in an office environment.
The difficult parts of the job is the cross-functional working. It is not as efficient as what it should be at Network Rail.
On a plus side, the staff are generally hard working and take pride in doing a good job.
The culture is diverse and inclusive.
The most enjoyable part is that you can work national or local, flexible working and working from home to achieve a good work-life balance.
The difficult thing is the performance management process is not suitable to all functions.
Some great jobs
Site manager - Contract (Former Employee) –  Glasgow15 May 2018
writing method statements and work schedules. Visiting site installation and Meeting with work crews and other management teams.
How to overcome logistical problem quickly
Higher management helpful
Work place culture safety first always
working away from home
finishing project on time and in profit
Pros
Salary
Cons
working away from home
Family focused and supportive
Performance and Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport19 October 2018
My current role as a performance analyst involves interrogating reports and data from contractors and shift contractors on works complete on previous shifts. I produce a weekly executive reporting pack which gives a breakdown of earned value analysis, shift productivity and cost per shift. I act as the interface between the customer and contractor to keep strong stable relationships. the culture is very relaxed and typical "construction" I adapt to which ever culture I work within.
Pros
8 days A/L
Cons
commute to Newport
It's always difficult running a 21st century railway which was built in the 19th century
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sheffield1 March 2018
I worked as many different roles within NWR and found the job culture to be different in each. Getting out and fixing hardware on the side of the track is fun, but the general culture of the staff I worked with was lazy and selfish. In the Projects department, the culture is much better and you get to make a bigger difference.
Pros
Good benefits and wages
Cons
Some managers promoted through seniority, not ability
Poor management
Finance (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire28 November 2018
Network Rail is not a great place to work in my opinion.

It’s not inclusive, sadly and the management are dreadfully poor to the point of bullying.

Would not recommend this organisation to my friends or family to work at.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor work life balance, poor management
Programme Management
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  London30 May 2018
The role was a great position to be in and with a varied responsibility. I gained a great knowledge of the management role and also leading people.
The workplace within the business were sometimes historical but this in the latter years changed to a "today" culture and behavioural working.
The people who worked in the business were committed and have this industry their career life.
Pros
Enjoyable to go to work
Cons
constant changes within the business units
You get out what you put in
Project Manager I (Current Employee) –  Structures, (Civils)23 October 2018
Could be so much better but confusing systems and long winded processes frustrate and a very immature and low IQ workforce contribute to its issues. Management levels struggle to move away from bullying as a style for getting results and it goes to the top grades as well.
Pros
Secure employment and above average rewards
Cons
Frustrating and immature ethos towards managing its people
Lovely place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London3 March 2018
Great management and people, would love to work there again. Good salary and benefits. Easy to get to location. Worked in the Engineering and procurement departments.
Very Good
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manchester8 May 2018
Learning and Development careers structure was exceptional. I went on six sigma, handling difficult conversations and time management courses. Network invests a lot of of resources in staff training.
Pros
Staff day outs
Cons
N/a
Not a good place to work
Transmission Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  London1 July 2018
The managers were very distant. Colleagues were arrogant and insulting. Work was not that difficult and yet errors were common. Any attempt to create better processes were criticised. Office was uncomfortable with limited working space. I suffered constant backache from the poor design of desk/chair arrangement. When I commented about this on a Health and Safety survey, I was ostracised by my manager.
Pros
Good pay, 35 hour week
Cons
Negative atmosphere
Secure company
Incident Controller (Current Employee) –  Waterloo Station10 May 2018
High job security here. Salaries good in certain areas but big divides between operations and management / project. Plenty of opportunity for advancement but often highly specialised areas.
Did enjoy working for network rail
Team leader/rail tester (Former Employee) –  Manchester10 July 2018
Enjoyed my time here got on well with work colleagues and management my typical day at work consisted of going out testing rail for defects sizing them then actioning them.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Traveling daily to and from Manchester
Dedicated and pro active workforce
Technical Office Manager (Overhead Line) (Former Employee) –  London5 March 2018
Managing all day to day aspects of running an office. Producing SSOWPS plans for the staff and contractors.
Learning a completely new sector, the staff were great at teaching me everything about the Overhead Line.
Management were very involved at every level.
Great place to work.
Hardest part was producing a lot of paperwork that didn't always get used.
I enjoyed working with everyone here, everyone went above and beyond their duties to work as a great team
Pros
Teamwork and committment
Cons
Could be very changeable
Terrible, uncaring,disgusting
Purchasing Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire24 January 2017
A typical day at work was being treated like cattle
I learned very quickly that even though the perks were good you were overworked and under praised
management was disgusting on every level
workplace culture was to care about yourself
the hardest part of the job was turning up
The best part was going home
A world of opportunities
Liability Negotiations Advisor (Current Employee) –  York31 October 2016
With over 35,000 employees, Network Rail is sure to have the career for you. From front of office to Director and literally everything in between. Project Management, Engineering, Digital Railway, GSM-r, Signalling, the list is endless.
Pros
Competative salary and benefits
Cons
Certain management culture
Infrastructure
HR Co-ordinator (Recruitment Services) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG4 August 2013
The business has had to deal with a number of major changes, and post privatisation is still felt within the organisation. A modern, strong business is the vision, that places people and safety at the forefront of its business.
Pros
Excellent location, with exciting travel requirements
Cons
Poor salary, conflicting management vision

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Network Rail. Our community is ready to answer.