Network Rail Employee Reviews for Planner

Application test
Planner (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 July 2018
Great conpany lots of variety of people, very friendly team. The hours are the hours you do occasion there is overt, but very rarely. Parking facilities is excellent. There’s test in order for you to get an interview, which think is ridiculous
Cons
Test doesn’t show you as a person
Typical day at work
SECTION PLANNER ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  London1 June 2018
Typical day at work. Good place to work. Paid on time good benefits with 75% off travel. Holiday and sick pay. Environemt differs where ever you work.
Not a happy workplace
Section Planner (Former Employee) –  Crewe17 August 2017
Very stressful environment.with no extra staff Maintenance area covered was growing with no extra staff to cover work. Staff getting stretched thinner and thinner
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Always taking work home for no extra reward
Challenging Environment always changing
Operational Planner (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes13 September 2016
Worked in the Capacity Planning Department, a challenging role of meeting the needs of freight operators under daily deadlines to offer bids back to FOCS. Worked in a large team involved daily stakeholder management with operators via email and phone. Met GBRF in June 2014 was good to put names to faces, met operator to understand there needs and future markets. Visited Roberts Road Depot to see how the class 66 diesel fleet is maintained by Electromotive.

The building in MK was great to work in the commute was long from London however worked with some good people which made the job good. Learnt a lot about rail freight this being a niche area of the industry and valuable to know information gathered which would hopefully lead to more opportunities in the future to work at a freight operator.
Section planner
section planner (Former Employee) –  york / hull19 October 2014
Don't do it !!! They treat you like sh@@t !!! ...you could bend over backwards for them but they don't appreciate anything !!!
Pros
men on the ground
great job oportunities
Section Planner (Former Employee) –  ENG24 September 2014
I never knew anything about the Railway industry when I was offered the role as Section Planner but with guidance from colleagues I learnt everything there was to know about the job and excelled in the role. I also planned for other areas and departments when required to cover sickness, holidays and open posts, I enjoyed my time with Network Rail as it gave me the chance to gain lots of skills to take with me in future roles. I had to be methodical, consistent and attention to detail as the role was safety critical and needed to be accurate as my role was providing safety packs for colleagues to work on the track with trains running. It made the role more intense and rewarding knowing I had such responsibilities. Management were approachable and building good communications between other departments was essential.
Pros
great incentives with pension and holidays
Cons
addictive work environment
Enjoyed the job
Freight Commodity Planner (Former Employee) –  Leeds, ENG29 July 2014
A very regimented routine was required to daily deadlines. Which required planning from first thing every morning. Liaising with collogues as to work loads and getting stuck in. All this ment dealing with around three hundred trains a week.
Pros
Made many friends and contacts
Cons
MAnagement
Challenging, fast paced place of work
Planner/Administration - Cable Theft (Current Employee) –  York, ENG15 January 2014
Fast paced, challenging workplace with a talented, skilled and knowledgeable work force. Every day brings new challenges and stretches employees to develop their skills. Essential to be able to work on own initiative as well as part of a team working towards a common goal. Fantastic approach to continuous improvement and lean principles.
First job via Randstad after nearly 2 years out of work following redundancy
Operational Planner (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Central Milton Keynes20 August 2013
Waited to be given daily timetable from specialist to import into system that fed thru to Paddington control station
This was a robotic job and didnt learn much apart from the very short time trains have to come in and go from Paddington Station and which trains needed to go onto which platforms according to their size and whether they needed to be refuelled with water etc like the HTC trains.
Not too impressed by management as I was used as the scapegoat (being temporary) to a dangerous mistake made by a permanent member of staff and let go. This was in part due to bad management as I moved onto creating the timetables from schedules but had not spent enough time with the colleague who suddenly went off sick and I was then expected to run the whole thing, I did ask for assistance as two workers used to cover this but that was denied to me.
Co-workers (fellow temps) I got to know and all of them have gone permanent since then
I must have done a good job as they put me on training as if I would go permanent eventually.
The chance I was given based on my skills to help out with the timetables and become the guys assistant.
Pros
Friendly colleagues and original tasks were very easy and laborious
Cons
Unfair dismissal
Hard working but challenging environment
Operational Planner (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, UK8 December 2012
In this role I learned that being part of a team is vital for the smooth running of the department. The work itself was challenging and enjoyable. I really enjoyed the environment and the people I worked with as well as the nature of the job that involved a lot of logic and problem solving. I am a planner by nature, and really enjoy seeing things through to the end.
Stressful & not happy place to work
Section Planner (Former Employee) –  Selby7 October 2012
A typical day at work was to start at 7.30 and not come up for air until leaving time - which was officially 3.00 but rarely got away on time. It was not a good place for your health! At one period I did 2 peoples jobs for 11 months and they were very happy for this to continue until I finally said enough is enough. Needless to say they didn't think it was worth anymore than one salary. This is the worst job I have had in my life.
Pros
officially could finish by 3.00pm
Cons
long unpaid hours
Productive, customer orientated environment.
Operational Planner (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes23 August 2012
A tyical day would involve liaising with customer regularly to consult on train plans whilst meeting the rule of the plan. Since being at Netowrk rail i have improved my prioritisation skills and negotiating skills due to working in a high presured environent. I am looking to develop a career in project management, specifically within an area which focuses on people and therefore i am looking for opportunities to allow me to do this.