Network Rail Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Beneficial
Multi-skilled Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG17 December 2015
Working at Network Rail has so many advantages as long as you work hard. Working within the customer service role it's a busy and hectic day but the days go fast and very fulfilling
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours and shift work
Notworkfail
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool8 December 2014
It's long hours and you don't get paid for doing over time which you have to do. The management aren't that good especially if you need flexible hours. I was returned from maternity leave applied for family friendly policy for flexible working and was turned down 3 times. Impossible to have a life outside of the job. It can be boring as your walking around station all day. Pay isn't bad but your working a lot of hours for it.
Pros
Pension scheme is good
Cons
Long hours, boring and politics
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  london6 August 2014
dealing with difficult customers
meeting people
Very good place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester30 April 2013
There are lots of opportunity for development. Currently I work at Manchester Piccadilly train station which can be very vibrant and challenging. It is a very sociable job and I currently work shifts. I have worked within HR as a Recruiter and also been involved in a resignalling project.
Pros
good benefits
Able to work to tight deadlines, Excellent attention to detail, Flexible and positive attitude
Customer Service Professional & Operations Planner (Former Employee) –  National Centre,The Quadrant,M.Keynes. MK9 1EN23 March 2013
Prioritise daily workload in the order of relative importance.

Outstanding time management skills – operate in an arena where everything is acute.

Maintain effective cost control through a process of delay attribution.

Display strong analytical skill, envisage, articulate and solve complex problems.

Making realistic decisions based on all the available information working to time sensitive deadlines.

Hold telephone conferences keeping the customer up to date, Negotiate, and meet deadlines on projects.

Accommodate our clients concerns when the schedule doesn’t meet the end users expectations re-examine the plan giving consideration to the initial request.

Producing documentation for the drivers and other operational staff.

Consistently examine administrative effectiveness and seek better procedures, developing policies and procedure to improve the assignment.
Pros
having all the organisation's centre of operation's in one hub, gym, library, restaurants, shops & cash machines
A day in the life of a customer service assistant
Customer Service Assistant (Security) (Current Employee) –  St Pancras International Station, London2 December 2012
Here at St Pancras International we have two teams - we have the mobility assistant's and the security officers. I am on the security side of things. Firstly I am a here to help customers with there everyday needs such as information about the trains, whats local or tourist information. No two days are alike! Since we are a big station we have a mixture of domestic and international services. My duties (other than helping the customers) are to carry out regular security checks in the area I have been given to patrol. This is done every hour (without fail). We do this to pro-actively ensuring the protection of station property and assets and creating a safe and comfortable working environment for employees and visitors. Other duties are directing emergency vehicles and other traffic if a major incident occurs. Responding to emergency situations as they arise. Accurately reporting all incidents to senior managers.
Preventing and detecting offences on site. Conducting searches of personnel, vehicles and bags etc. Producing written reports. Liaising with the emergency services, police, ambulance and fire service to resolve issues and maintain security and service. This is just some of what is required of me and the team. I would saw pros are that no two days are the same, you are always being challenged to better your knowledge and you get to meet a wide range of different people however cons are being constanly on the move (as in walking non stop) weather can be very cold due to the station being open and long days. Over all not a bad job.
Pros
travel perks
Cons
long hours, weather, shift work
It was work.Egg shell.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station.2 July 2012
The industry is safety-led and the processes put in place dictated the culture.You were kitted to be self sufficient.You could slip in and out within the bounds of your roster and deployment,and just be you.
Starting shift: You arrive before your rostered shift,sign in and disappear.No don't get me wrong.Everything you need is with you already.Any additional information is in your pigeon hole or on the notice board.Its your responsibility to read them.So, to "disappear" is in not being required to make any contact with anybody to do your work ,so long as you have been certified competent by passing the RULES.But Big Brother is watching over you.Yes,the mangers make sure that all shifts are covered by checking the signing in sheet.And the platform mirrors co-workers relation-ship.It can be fun,it can be "stiff" it can be malleable.Whatever it is,it is those on it on the day.A sully one today could be the chatty one tomorrow,but sure a different pair.
Managing the fallout from an inclement weather,is the hardest part of the job;stemming the tide of frustration from a weary journey which needed home comfort is arrested by a frosty rail track or signal failure.
Oh, the shades of colour.Human appreciation is the most enjoyable part of the job.You see humanity in all its colours.
Talk of what I learnt:All is not as it seems.Not that I am only coming to terms with this cliche' at my age,no,but there is safety in numbers.
I tried and stretched my skills of flexibility and adaptability.It was an experience.
Pros
70% off season ticket.
Cons
the travelling time.