Network Rail Employee Reviews in Milton Keynes

New starter and going well
Operational Planner (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire18 August 2018
Just started a month ago, on this exact role.
Interview process was straight forward.
Online test about 12 questions to show how good you are with puzzles and problem solving.

Then 3 hour assessment centre at MK quadrant.
1 hour interview 1 hour test on the role ( questions where you read and calculate train journeys on a sheet using diagrams) 1 hour group work with fellow interviewees where you will be observed.
They totall up all 4 processes and highest scores are successful.

Going through my 18 week training. Training and working at the same time. You get put in a team after you join and that when you’ll know which area you’ll be working in and also it’s your wam that help you feel welcome in a place where everything is just so new to you.
The actual work is okay once you’ve been shown how to do it, it’s very technical, dealing with time table plans and then offering them to train operation companies. Then validating them. It’s not simple but it’s really interesting.

The office is amazing. Parking is great you get a MK employee permit for free. All day parking is £3 in mk purple bays. The network rail staff carpark is £2.80 per visit. So you have a choice.

Training team are lovely they help you with your development. But also it’s how you also make sure your developing and take control of the matter. Plenty of promotional opportunities once your competent and in need for a change.

Smart wear, shirt/ half sleeve shirt and trousers. Most Fridays is dressdown for charity.

Gym £18 a month with free classes. Every Monday they have a football league
  more... which is good fun.
So far it’s been good at my very short time being here.

Hours are flexible as long as you get your 35 hours done in a week.
Pros
Gym, ample parking if you come early, flexible hours
Cons
A Lot to learn, information overload
Application test
Planner (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 July 2018
Great conpany lots of variety of people, very friendly team. The hours are the hours you do occasion there is overt, but very rarely. Parking facilities is excellent. There’s test in order for you to get an interview, which think is ridiculous
Cons
Test doesn’t show you as a person
good
Resourcing Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 October 2017
A supportive working environment, you are allowed to learn and grow and use your own initiative.
Management was great and supportive
I learnt lean sigma and data analytics reporting using ORACLE
Culture is inclusive and fun
Having my peer to call on for insights and the bonding in the team
Pros
Free Bus Ride back to London during major disruption to Train
Terrible, uncaring,disgusting
Purchasing Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire24 January 2017
A typical day at work was being treated like cattle
I learned very quickly that even though the perks were good you were overworked and under praised
management was disgusting on every level
workplace culture was to care about yourself
the hardest part of the job was turning up
The best part was going home
Forward thinking supportive company
Business Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, ENG10 September 2015
- A world class organisation
- Supportive of it's employees and invests heavily in personal and career development
- Forward thinking and innovative
- Great benefits and competitive salary

I would highly recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Innovative, Investor in people
Cons
Still some old behaviours
contracted to NWR
PMO Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes4 September 2017
Their culture is about safety of the individual and management communication is very good, The working environment in Milton Keynes is excellent with excellent facilities
Pros
Great place to work nice people, good management
Cons
a little old fashioned in ways of working still
Exceptional facilities
Team Organiser to Core Renewals Team (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, ENG1 November 2015
Working day flexible (arrive from 6.30am no later than 10.00am leave no earlier than 4.00pm; though most people work quite long hours and WfH.)
Agile working space has won deign awards
Hierarchical structure with Assignment Managers and Practice Management Tiers
Co-workers - technically very clever, hard-working;
Good Induction Programme though still a steep learning curve as a "newby"
Lots of different work forums; Town Hall sessions to join depending on your interests.
Pros
Agile Working
Cons
easy to stay in the building as it meets most needs and not venture out..
Empire culture needs to be eradicated
Business Support (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, ENG20 May 2015
The hierarchy within the organisation still have a lot to learn. Lots of politics in the different teams and I have worked in quite a few of them. Line Managers within the supply chain department are oblivious to the importance of good management skills and this can only be attributed to lack of line management training, poor leadership from the top of the supply chain department and the inability to embrace different backgrounds. Only positive thing I can say is that the diversity director is doing a great job.
Productive, customer orientated environment.
Operational Planner (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes23 August 2012
A tyical day would involve liaising with customer regularly to consult on train plans whilst meeting the rule of the plan. Since being at Netowrk rail i have improved my prioritisation skills and negotiating skills due to working in a high presured environent. I am looking to develop a career in project management, specifically within an area which focuses on people and therefore i am looking for opportunities to allow me to do this.
Great
Operational Planning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes14 April 2018
Was managed well and everyone was friendly.They always had me doing things and it enjoyed it thoroughly. Work environment is really good and its very easy to fit in.
Challenging Environment always changing
Operational Planner (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes13 September 2016
Worked in the Capacity Planning Department, a challenging role of meeting the needs of freight operators under daily deadlines to offer bids back to FOCS. Worked in a large team involved daily stakeholder management with operators via email and phone. Met GBRF in June 2014 was good to put names to faces, met operator to understand there needs and future markets. Visited Roberts Road Depot to see how the class 66 diesel fleet is maintained by Electromotive.

The building in MK was great to work in the commute was long from London however worked with some good people which made the job good. Learnt a lot about rail freight this being a niche area of the industry and valuable to know information gathered which would hopefully lead to more opportunities in the future to work at a freight operator.
Great place to work. Good team spirit.
PMO Support /Analyst (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire14 December 2016
Great place to work. Good team spirit. Good location and management. good opportunity to move higher in career path.
The managers was really cooperative and good working spirit
Stuck in a bygone era, stale managers creating stagnation in projects
Senior Reform Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes11 September 2015
Too big, too bureaucratic. Managers stuck in a culture where delayed delivery and non-delivery is someone else's problem.
Pros
Nice offices
Cons
You won't learn anything about good business management staying here.
Excellent place to work.
Financial Controller (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes12 June 2017
Network Rail are a great employer to work for. They are committed to getting the best out of their people, focussing on development and work life balance. The work is challenging but support is available within the immediate and broader NR family.
Pros
Great people to work with
Ethics at work
Risk and Value Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes26 August 2016
I like working for an organization whose priorities for ethics, teamwork and effectiveness match my own. What's most important to me is finding a place where individuals want to work together, as a true team.The match of what you need with what one can do should be clear, and any additional benefit of having the same values and community interests will make me to want to be here more than anywhere else.”
Pros
Free lunches
Busy place
Drop-in Technician (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes4 December 2017
Busy environment constant flow of clients .
Dealing with various technical issues and requests
No room for progression as i was only contracting
Enjoyed helping staff with requests and issues.
Most members were friendly
Pros
Friendly users
Service Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire25 March 2017
Flexible working and a good modern office, what is there not to like? The culture is improving and the company is recognising that it needs to improve and change.
First job via Randstad after nearly 2 years out of work following redundancy
Operational Planner (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Central Milton Keynes20 August 2013
Waited to be given daily timetable from specialist to import into system that fed thru to Paddington control station
This was a robotic job and didnt learn much apart from the very short time trains have to come in and go from Paddington Station and which trains needed to go onto which platforms according to their size and whether they needed to be refuelled with water etc like the HTC trains.
Not too impressed by management as I was used as the scapegoat (being temporary) to a dangerous mistake made by a permanent member of staff and let go. This was in part due to bad management as I moved onto creating the timetables from schedules but had not spent enough time with the colleague who suddenly went off sick and I was then expected to run the whole thing, I did ask for assistance as two workers used to cover this but that was denied to me.
Co-workers (fellow temps) I got to know and all of them have gone permanent since then
I must have done a good job as they put me on training as if I would go permanent eventually.
The chance I was given based on my skills to help out with the timetables and become the guys assistant.
Pros
Friendly colleagues and original tasks were very easy and laborious
Cons
Unfair dismissal
Good old railways that never change
Resourcing Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, ENG13 January 2016
The company is in a rubbish state but the people are excellent. too bad some people will never change and that is why NR is failing. Also it is an organisation where lower level employees earn more than managers and gives a nice tension between people in the offices and people on the tracks. Frequent reorganisations (every 6 months) do not help and employees morale are at the bottom. Every new senior manager will want their way and forces their org structure on the departments.
In resourcing there is no leadership, head of does not exist as we had devolved teams. Impossible to implement new ways as people just think in transactions.
Very limited on spending, scrutinised every minute why you are spending £2000 on a campaign, yet we hire seniors through search firms and splash out £100k.
People are reluctant to change and impossible to get rid of under performers.
Currently in transition and facing a number of challanges
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes29 February 2016
Network Rail is facing a number of challenges as they seek to deliver value for money. While there is a will to change I am not sure the management team can facilitate the change. This is creating a stressful environment due to the uncertainty and lack of clear direction.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Network Rail. Our community is ready to answer.