Network Rail Employee Reviews in London

Not a good place to work
Transmission Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  London1 July 2018
The managers were very distant. Colleagues were arrogant and insulting. Work was not that difficult and yet errors were common. Any attempt to create better processes were criticised. Office was uncomfortable with limited working space. I suffered constant backache from the poor design of desk/chair arrangement. When I commented about this on a Health and Safety survey, I was ostracised by my manager.
Pros
Good pay, 35 hour week
Cons
Negative atmosphere
Typical day at work
SECTION PLANNER ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  London1 June 2018
Typical day at work. Good place to work. Paid on time good benefits with 75% off travel. Holiday and sick pay. Environemt differs where ever you work.
Programme Management
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  London30 May 2018
The role was a great position to be in and with a varied responsibility. I gained a great knowledge of the management role and also leading people.
The workplace within the business were sometimes historical but this in the latter years changed to a "today" culture and behavioural working.
The people who worked in the business were committed and have this industry their career life.
Pros
Enjoyable to go to work
Cons
constant changes within the business units
Operative
Leading trackman (Former Employee) –  London / Cornwall20 March 2018
Passed the online testing but did not get an interview had 4 years Experience on network rail
The only thing I can think of is my age 52, but work on a building Site Monday to Friday and fit.
Pros
Good Firm with good prospects
Cons
working out in all weathers
Dedicated and pro active workforce
Technical Office Manager (Overhead Line) (Former Employee) –  London5 March 2018
Managing all day to day aspects of running an office. Producing SSOWPS plans for the staff and contractors.
Learning a completely new sector, the staff were great at teaching me everything about the Overhead Line.
Management were very involved at every level.
Great place to work.
Hardest part was producing a lot of paperwork that didn't always get used.
I enjoyed working with everyone here, everyone went above and beyond their duties to work as a great team
Pros
Teamwork and committment
Cons
Could be very changeable
Lovely place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London3 March 2018
Great management and people, would love to work there again. Good salary and benefits. Easy to get to location. Worked in the Engineering and procurement departments.
Good job to do
Station Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  London26 January 2018
Varied shift at work makes this an enjoyable daily experience as a job. Good people skills required.

Working with stakeholders is essential and being able to listen and be able to handle stressful situations is needed.
Pros
Varied work life
Cons
Long hours, shidt
Great ambition, heavy bureacracy
Senior Programme Commercial Manager, IP Anglia (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 December 2017
Lots of investment in railways means this can be a great place to work. Heavy processes and administration in general can make this a tedious place to work but stay focused and resilient in order to see the good from the bad.
Pros
Great investment to deliver
Cons
Way too much admin
Productive and hard working
Mobile Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  London9 October 2017
Every day was different, you had to be alert when things went wrong. The hardest part of the job was to deal with certain incidences, i.e. Fatalities, but the enjoyable part of it was getting the satisfaction out of doing the job well in a professional manner.
fun workplace
railway welder (Current Employee) –  London26 September 2017
I love working for network rail but there seems to be hard to progress with in network rail I just wont to better my self and my life and if I can find a job that looks like I can do that I wood leave but it wood be hard
Pros
if we need anything we get it
Mixed
Scheme Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 September 2017
Limited salaries and prospects, struggle to get training, reasonable working hours, limited expectations. Probably a decent environment for people who want security
Fast Learning Curve
Principal Risk & Value Manager (Current Employee) –  London4 September 2017
Experienced a good work life balance and found a great ethos. In addition a good place to learn and grow in terms of experience.

Quite unionised and slow career progress.
Pros
Work / Life Balance
Cons
Career Progression
Change due to circumstances
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 September 2017
I have given 100% to each and every company that I have worked for. Trying to be an integral part of the everyday smooth running of whatever I do. Due to circumstances out of my control with back pain I now find myself facing my next challenge in life. I always face my challenges head on and I am willing to reeducate myself to get where I need to be.
Pros
New challenges welcome
Cons
Suffer with back pain
Going by my dad's job - only week for work experience placement
Work Experience Placement (PICOP - planning team) (Former Employee) –  London18 August 2017
Nice atmosphere and relationships with colleagues (welcoming). Everyone really seemed to know what they were doing so you will be well trained and cared for.
Pros
Relationships with colleagues
Cons
Far from where I live
1 day
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London22 May 2017
Thanks for giving me a chance to see a really interesting project under the supervision of a really enthusiastic mentor and his team. only there a day - wish it could have been longer.
Hard work with good rewards
Signalman (Former Employee) –  London North Eastern & Midland Zone28 April 2017
A typical day would start at 6.30am, involve signalling trains and departing for home at 2pm (shift times differ and in some locations 12 hour plus shifts can be expected). Other duties would include tidying the signal cabin, administration duties and regular rules exams.

I've learned to be vigilant in all circumstances.

Management varies from archaic dinosaurs with prehistoric ideals of staff, religion and dedication whilst the company are promoting newer management styles to eradicate the older generation. This is a work in progress with some way to go.

The workplace is generally lone working with little contact with the outside world - some days you speak to no one, other days many people are in contact. One of the more recent cultures is to name and shame employees, and latterly to promote whistle blowing on colleagues in return for immunity relating to mistakes. This makes work exceptionally difficult at times.

The hardest part of the job is remaining vigilant and maintaining concentration at all times no matter what distractions occur.

The job is enjoyable if you like to work on your own, are passionate about railways and need little assistance from management
Pros
Good pension scheme
Cons
Long hours requiring full vigilance
Poorly run company now.
NR ERTMS (Former Employee) –  London23 April 2017
Most of the railway experience and knowledge has disappeared from this company and is now lead by managers who just say yes for an easy life and don't care about the customer's or its staff. HR have no idea whats going on only just want to reduce staff numbers and do everything on the cheap.
Pros
No many now
Cons
They do not care anymore
Workplace
Station Controller (Current Employee) –  London4 April 2017
Station Control - Shift work. 24/7. 9 man roster. Can be considered a dead end job. The company only looks to promote young, school leaving aged people or graduates who fall within the company's guidelines of employing diverse people.
Cons
Awkward shifts - Little chance of career advancement
Very enjoyable place to work
Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 April 2017
Two years delivering very diverse projects but really enjoyed it. Good people to work with and an education on the railway and what it takes to run it.
good working hours but too many gaps in trying to progress
CAD Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London28 February 2017
good for people with families as its a 35 hour week but not great for someone looking to progress with his career.

helpful but a lot of budget cuts means its a lot harder to try get the training and lack of work means not as much on the job training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Network Rail. Our community is ready to answer.