Network Rail Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Work life balance - Respected
Senior Commercial Manager(SCM) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 June 2018
This is a very good place to work although the pace can be hectic and other times slow due to processes that need to be followed.

Employees are allowed and not penalised for time out breaks - needing a break from work for personal reasons, every case is looked into, privacy is maintained.

All employees are respected - there are structures in place that line managers must adhere to.

There is an inclusive culture as well where employees can raise and discuss concerns and issues.

Hardest is trying to ensure a win win environment for all. A very mixed variety of employees with different hang ups and cultures makes working here a good learning experience.
productive and friendly
Asistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 May 2018
whilst I was working there as work experience I couldn't but notice how friendly everyone was and how productive they all were, the staff were very friendly as one went to the effort of putting a ton of food out for everyone to eat and to pay for the food everyone was trusted to pay the money without anyone selling the foods and not stealing it.
Hard work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 January 2018
Great bunch of people to work with, the work is hard but worthwhile. if you can brave the outdoors and working in the elements then its a good place to work.
Not Bad
Distribution Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham4 October 2017
there is no such thing as a typical day on the railway. depening on shift pattern, area, section etc. the job can vary hugely across the company.
Depending where you work the management also varies hugley but on the most part they are very good.
YOu will learn a lot within the company about yourself as well as about the job.
the hardest part of the job is definetely the hours. Shift work means some very unsocianle hours as we have to slot track access in around the running of trains
Work Experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 May 2017
Good for work experience. Provided me with a clear understanding of the company and allowed me to broaden my knowledge and understanding of a fast paced work life.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Birmingham27 March 2017
I was only on a 3 month contract back in 2006 but it was a great team with great management. I was looked after and as long as you work hard you were left alone.
Good company
Track and renewals Intern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 March 2017
Good company to work at. Staff are willing to help and are friendly. Restructuration 5 years ago. Good organisation. However, a bit of an old school work environment.
good place to work
customer service assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham2 December 2016
i work here as a customer service assistant providing train information to customers off ipad/pc it is a very busy station highly pressurised , is a customer facing role
Decent place to work
Train Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham8 September 2016
No day is the same, alot of co-workers who help each other.
I've learned how to use empathy when dealing with different customers.
And I love working with customers
Beneficial
Multi-skilled Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG17 December 2015
Working at Network Rail has so many advantages as long as you work hard. Working within the customer service role it's a busy and hectic day but the days go fast and very fulfilling
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours and shift work
Rewarding, flexible, comfortable
Field Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands region based in Newport & Birmingham3 October 2014
My first job after leaving school was with British Rail and I worked there for 18 years. Going back to work for Amey Rail/Network Rail was very comforting as I went back to work with friends and in an environment I knew.

Having carried out various jobs it was always a learning experience which was enjoyable but sometimes the travelling around the region was tiring.
Absolutely the best job
Travel Champion Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG30 May 2014
Just floor walking the station helping customers all around, learned new ways to develop my customer service skills verbally. My teammates were fantastic though we had a grumpy few I met a few who I am still currently in contact with. Hardest part of the job was leaving to go home. I just didn't want to leave I really thoroughly enjoyed my job so much.
Everything was enjoyable the cultural environment, the atmosphere was incredible and I was always busy.
I do wish to get back into the railway it is my dream hope job and its the best experience.
Productive and Fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG27 January 2014
I did one week of work experience at network rail in the Administration work offices. I entered data into data files regarding faults and activity on the rail, attended meetings to do with work related discussions as well as in union discussions. For the last two days I worked with the Customer Service department gathering and solving complaints within the company building, collecting of packages, I also created a safety pass issued to employees.
Very good place to work and have a laugh
working in the office (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG4 June 2013
My average day consisted of making drinks for some of the staff and filing away some of the paper work and some days i would get a tour around a part of the building i hadn't been to or a new building near by.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Wasn't much to do
Culture of cuts
Project Commercial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 May 2012
Making lots of cuts, constant re-organisation every year so threats to jobs. Had three re-orgs in three years.
Pros
only a 35 hour working week
Cons
threat of losing jobs