Network Rail
Information from Network Rail:

Network Rail Employee Reviews

United Kingdom488 reviews
Large family
Old time railwayman , been there done that, met great people throughout the journey, worked in various roles around the country sometimes in difficult circumstances, plenty of opportunity within the company for the right people, no regrets.
Jokers
I worked at Stafford as an overhead lines engineer, the older blokes were great as they can teach a lot, but the management were utter joke, our “ technical chief engineer “ worked in a corner shop out of hours !!!!!!! , other office staff never gave a toss about the blokes , only their hair !! . I left after a short while as I was subject to their passive bullying all because I commuted by rail and I didn’t own a car !!
An organisation helps in maintaining the major transport infrastructure in the country. Good Organization that takes good care of their employees. Always lakes safety paramount .
Managers show very poor judgement & good people get overlooked constantly
I have worked here several years and it is very much luck of the draw if you end up working in a good or bad department.
HR are horrendous as other employees have mentioned.

All employees have a legal and moral right to be protected from bullying and poor behaviour from managers.

All I can say to new employees is just use this company to gain valuable work experience and training. Then move onto a better employer as soon as you can.....
Horrendous
Would never recommend this company to anybody. Hr and management are horrendous. 9 people in department have left and ongoing court cases due to theft, harrasment, bullying by managers.
Lack of talent, collaboration & innovation
During my employment at Network Rail I experienced alot of discrimination within the recruitment process. I had to speak out when I witnessed someone bypassing CVs, when I spoke out I was being victimised by Network Rail. Finally, I had to leave as Network Rail were making my life a misery. Due to discrimination within the recruitment this has caused inefficiency were Network Rails debts have reached over £50 billion pounds. Network Rail have been lacking talent, collaboration & innovation in the past couple of years and have been wasting tax payers.
I really enjoy the railway industry
I left the construction industry after 17yrs being an SSSTS Electrician, to Network rail, i absolutely love the job, safety is the most important thing to Network Rail and that is great as on construction site its a when it only applies if it suits management, budget and deadlines.
The money is brilliant, as i do nightshift i get to spend more time with my kids instead of getting home and maybe able to do a bestime story and give them baths.

All round for me i can only say positive things, also the team i work with in D&P are a great bunch of guys with great standard of work
Hard work
Network rail treat you with respect. They also have excellent staff and make sure of your welfare.They definitely treat your safety as a priority. If you can get in with them I would most definitely recommend.
Productive, Challenging work place
Good place to work, lots of new challenges and you will learn a lot about Major infrastructure projects worth millions of pounds - project delivery on time and budget ... great place!
Good
I really enjoyed my time working for Network Rail, I did 25 years there gained experience in safety, and working in groups or alone , and doing team and saftey meetings .
Ok if you are starting out.
I left a decent job to work here and regretted it ever since. The culture is not the best,big your face dont fit get used to being second guessed and argued with other nonsense because someone else said something.

Also managers who will contradict themselves and a culture where promotion is gained by who can make the most noise. the most noc
Fast paced at times
Paid well ,shift work ,stressful at times ,loads of courses, good work mates and ppe, odd hours of work plus weekend turns of duty , very technical and lots of paper work etc
Very interesting work, but a slog to make changes
If you love transport on a big scale, then this is the place to be. If you want to find opportunity to modernise systems and improve business processes, this is the place to be. If you want a great environment and flexible working, this is the place to be. If you want your skills and know-how to bear fruit, this is not the place to be. The pace of change is extremely slow. The devolution of services to the routes is beginning to change the silo mentality - it is all change here. But don't hold your breath!
Collaborative work environment
Being a Not for profit, government regulated industry it was essential to collaborate with Regulators to ensure that all regulations were adhered to.

The HR function is the heart of the organisation therefore works with all departments and units in the organisation. Activities involved monitoring and equipping line managers and staff with the tools to do their jobs and also to set people up to succeed in their roles.
Wages ok, poor management
bullying within the workplace, no understanding of disabilities or mental health issues, poor management, career progression if your face fits, full of back stabbers
Pros
Wages ok
Cons
Bullying and back stabbing
Good Pay That's It
The pay maybe good but there is a strong bullying culture and lack of care around MH and wellbeing regardless of how they brag about the different support they have in place. Management is protected at all costs and you will be isolated if you fight your corner. They count on people quitting rather than raising grievance
Poor
This job is ok if you want to train and then go else where
People stay only for the pension

Poor upper old school boy management

Passive aggressive bullying
Good and easy company to work for
They look after their staff and contractors. There is free tea and coffee and two shops on the premises. If permanent employed, there are benefits including subsidised rail travel, parking and discounts at stores.
Work Experience
Work experience placement was carefully planned involving a large amount of different tasks to complete. I was well educated about the work Network rail does.
Very Proactive
Fast and Efficient, good company , considerate , fair payers, just as good as any other company, not sure what else to write to pad this section out so that i can close it and move on
Fun and engaging.
The work placement saw me shadow and act as an assistant to a Head Engineer for a week. The tasks allocated were always manageable and introduced to me, despite my lack of familiarity with engineering, in a way that made me fascinated with it. I always enjoyed the typically admin jobs I completed. My favourite days were always site visits, as many of the spreadsheets or emails I had amended or drafted under guidance, I could now see in reality.