Network Rail Employee Reviews

Bad Shifts
Station Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester22 October 2018
Very bad shifts for anyone who is married or wants a family. Station side is where I work and the shifts are very poor and the shift pattern is over 6 weeks.
Pros
Cons
No free travel with train firms
Family focused and supportive
Performance and Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newport, Newport19 October 2018
My current role as a performance analyst involves interrogating reports and data from contractors and shift contractors on works complete on previous shifts. I produce a weekly executive reporting pack which gives a breakdown of earned value analysis, shift productivity and cost per shift. I act as the interface between the customer and contractor to keep strong stable relationships. the culture is very relaxed and typical "construction" I adapt to which ever culture I work within.
Pros
8 days A/L
Cons
commute to Newport
Fantastic workplace
Geotechnical Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff30 August 2018
A brilliant workplace. I would advise anyone to work there, it has a fantastic work life balance. Progression is actively encouraged and movement between departments is easy to do.
Pros
Benefits, progression, trust
Great development, work life balance and salary
Performance& Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  London22 August 2018
Great development, work life balance and salary

Lots of support from senior management in terms of development, training and flexible working. As long as the job is done well the rest is flexible
Pros
subsidized travel in London
Good company to work for
Operative worker (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent21 August 2018
A good company to work for as they privide ppe, you are given plenty of holiday and there are other benefits too. How ever in the department i work for it is very hard to advance in my career.
Pros
Uniform and ppe provided
Cons
Hard to advance in your career
overview
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol20 August 2018
Working for Network Rail as a customer servive agent has been a fantastic experience as I have improved my social skills.
However the workplace culture and the management at the Echo call centre which runs the campaign on behalf of Network Rail was low standard.
The management team was extremely unprofessional, and didn't have good people skills, agents were fired in such a fast speed that was disgraceful. People should not be treated like that, no sign of respect for employees at all.
Also not all agents were asked to do work on the social media side of the campaign which that is unacceptable in 2018 when we live in a society that we are predominately living on social media.
Therefore it did not come by surprise when we find out that the campaing is closing down in Bristol just after 5 months of its launch and be relocated back in Hull. Everybody was made redundant! Oh well! Very bad managements!
Pros
Central Bristol easy to get to
Cons
Awful management
New starter and going well
Operational Planner (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire18 August 2018
Just started a month ago, on this exact role.
Interview process was straight forward.
Online test about 12 questions to show how good you are with puzzles and problem solving.

Then 3 hour assessment centre at MK quadrant.
1 hour interview 1 hour test on the role ( questions where you read and calculate train journeys on a sheet using diagrams) 1 hour group work with fellow interviewees where you will be observed.
They totall up all 4 processes and highest scores are successful.

Going through my 18 week training. Training and working at the same time. You get put in a team after you join and that when you’ll know which area you’ll be working in and also it’s your wam that help you feel welcome in a place where everything is just so new to you.
The actual work is okay once you’ve been shown how to do it, it’s very technical, dealing with time table plans and then offering them to train operation companies. Then validating them. It’s not simple but it’s really interesting.

The office is amazing. Parking is great you get a MK employee permit for free. All day parking is £3 in mk purple bays. The network rail staff carpark is £2.80 per visit. So you have a choice.

Training team are lovely they help you with your development. But also it’s how you also make sure your developing and take control of the matter. Plenty of promotional opportunities once your competent and in need for a change.

Smart wear, shirt/ half sleeve shirt and trousers. Most Fridays is dressdown for charity.

Gym £18 a month with free classes. Every Monday they have a football league
  more... which is good fun.
So far it’s been good at my very short time being here.

Hours are flexible as long as you get your 35 hours done in a week.
Pros
Gym, ample parking if you come early, flexible hours
Cons
A Lot to learn, information overload
Formal and organised
Site Access Controller (Former Employee) –  london31 July 2018
Typical day: depending on your job title you will be performing different tasks but the organisation and punctuality of the company is universal to all fields.
What i learnt: the formality that comes with greater corporations but yet how the employees are still humans and can be very sociable and welcoming people.
Pros
Seasonal Pay is splendid
Cons
Some shifts can be too long
Every day is different
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  UK30 July 2018
Dependant on what area you work in, every day can be different.

You can be working outside in all weathers on the track, or you could be a support function working in an office environment.
The difficult parts of the job is the cross-functional working. It is not as efficient as what it should be at Network Rail.
On a plus side, the staff are generally hard working and take pride in doing a good job.
The culture is diverse and inclusive.
The most enjoyable part is that you can work national or local, flexible working and working from home to achieve a good work-life balance.
The difficult thing is the performance management process is not suitable to all functions.
Did enjoy working for network rail
Team leader/rail tester (Former Employee) –  Manchester10 July 2018
Enjoyed my time here got on well with work colleagues and management my typical day at work consisted of going out testing rail for defects sizing them then actioning them.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Traveling daily to and from Manchester

Want to know more about Network Rail?

Ask a question
Application test
Planner (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 July 2018
Great conpany lots of variety of people, very friendly team. The hours are the hours you do occasion there is overt, but very rarely. Parking facilities is excellent. There’s test in order for you to get an interview, which think is ridiculous
Cons
Test doesn’t show you as a person
Not a good place to work
Transmission Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  London1 July 2018
The managers were very distant. Colleagues were arrogant and insulting. Work was not that difficult and yet errors were common. Any attempt to create better processes were criticised. Office was uncomfortable with limited working space. I suffered constant backache from the poor design of desk/chair arrangement. When I commented about this on a Health and Safety survey, I was ostracised by my manager.
Pros
Good pay, 35 hour week
Cons
Negative atmosphere
Excellent
System Operator (Current Employee) –  Swindon27 June 2018
Network Rail are an excellent company to work for.

The team I worked with were exceptional, very professional and help each other in the team. Great Team spirit..
Pros
People
Work life balance - Respected
Senior Commercial Manager(SCM) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 June 2018
This is a very good place to work although the pace can be hectic and other times slow due to processes that need to be followed.

Employees are allowed and not penalised for time out breaks - needing a break from work for personal reasons, every case is looked into, privacy is maintained.

All employees are respected - there are structures in place that line managers must adhere to.

There is an inclusive culture as well where employees can raise and discuss concerns and issues.

Hardest is trying to ensure a win win environment for all. A very mixed variety of employees with different hang ups and cultures makes working here a good learning experience.
Typical day at work
SECTION PLANNER ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  London1 June 2018
Typical day at work. Good place to work. Paid on time good benefits with 75% off travel. Holiday and sick pay. Environemt differs where ever you work.
Programme Management
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  London30 May 2018
The role was a great position to be in and with a varied responsibility. I gained a great knowledge of the management role and also leading people.
The workplace within the business were sometimes historical but this in the latter years changed to a "today" culture and behavioural working.
The people who worked in the business were committed and have this industry their career life.
Pros
Enjoyable to go to work
Cons
constant changes within the business units
PERFECT work/life balance! Salary a lot more than advertised
Signaller (Current Employee) –  Wales27 May 2018
Those saying the work/life balance are terrible have clearly never held another job! As a signaller you work either 3x 12hr shifts or 4x 8hr shifts. The opportunity to occasionally work rest days (overtime) is there at 125% of graded hourly pay, and sundays are 150%. Overtime is not compulsory. The salary is significantly higher than stated when considering the extra pay for Bank Holidays, Overtime, Night time allowance, annual bonus, Sunday’s etc. You can add a minimum of £6,000 onto the quoted salary easily. As a signaller you work alone, and very occasionally your Local or Mobile Ops Manager might come round for a chat. The training course is 12 weeks (paid) while accommodated in a hotel with a meal allowance. It is ‘cheeky’ with A LOT to take on board. I’ve seen my boss 3 times in the last 12 months... Having previously served 14 years in the Army, I would HIGHLY recommend this job!
Pros
Working alone, Pay, 3-4 day week
Cons
Working alone if you don’t like your own company...
My job
Performance Improvement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London24 May 2018
Working in central London is a great place to be coupled with working within an industry that his highly customer focused makes the experience even better.

My role can be challenging but is what makes it important and gives me the willingness to succeed when taking on a task.
productive and friendly
Asistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 May 2018
whilst I was working there as work experience I couldn't but notice how friendly everyone was and how productive they all were, the staff were very friendly as one went to the effort of putting a ton of food out for everyone to eat and to pay for the food everyone was trusted to pay the money without anyone selling the foods and not stealing it.
Some great jobs
Site manager - Contract (Former Employee) –  Glasgow15 May 2018
writing method statements and work schedules. Visiting site installation and Meeting with work crews and other management teams.
How to overcome logistical problem quickly
Higher management helpful
Work place culture safety first always
working away from home
finishing project on time and in profit
Pros
Salary
Cons
working away from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Network Rail. Our community is ready to answer.