Natural History Museum Employee Reviews

CT Application Specialist (Current Employee) –  London21 January 2019
Great place to work with a very good work life balance.
You get to work on a variety of task and projects and every day is different.
Difficult to progress up and ranks and can take a very long time to meet the full list of requirements for advancement.
Friendly colleagues.
Pros
Varied, exciting, subsidised lunches
Cons
Poor progression, low pay
Excellent company to work for
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  London19 March 2018
I worked as an Information Assistant on a six month contract for the Museum and found it an excellent work environment, management supportive to staff, and with great career progression prospects for staff on permanent contracts.
Doing more with less
Senior Curator (Current Employee) –  London15 August 2017
Conflicting demands on everyone's time, but the separate teams tend to experience the same problems and people are supportive within the teams. Declining morale.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
lack of support from management
If you're willing to work, it can be a great place to be
Bookings and Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 July 2017
Being part of the Museum's front of house team was an amazing experience. The work could be stressful and challenging at times, but some of the people I worked with were truly amazing. - There was a real sense of camaraderie and support from my colleagues.

Yes, the role was looked down upon by scientists and other learned colleagues across the site, but their work was so often so far removed from our work, it didn't really matter.

My biggest concern was the over reliance of agency members to fill 'full time' duties. I was a agency staff member for almost three years on a zero hour contract. It was sometimes difficult to plan your life around an unknown work rota.
Pros
Good team, good hours, good work / home balance, easy work
Cons
The customers, management, targets, zero-hour contracts
A job that is being phased out
Roving Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London25 April 2016
This job was delightful when I started; the managers were lovely, the other members of the team were happy and fun and the customers were excited to come to the museum.

However, after a few months it became clear that the new managers at the museum saw no profit in the Roving department but, instead of phasing the team out and explaining the situation they just made the job more and more difficult and less and less worthwhile. They then decided to cut our pay to a level where it was not feasible to work at the museum and live in London.

Not a pleasant job.
Pros
Access to the Museum
Cons
Management who is trying to cut all costs and corners
Ambiente affascinante,struttura imponente
Waiter (Former Employee) –  London22 February 2016
Ho lavorato per poche settimane, ma essendo uno dei musei più grandi al mondo, ho lavorato in varie zone ed è stato molto faticoso ma anche molto divertente e formativo!
Pros
flessibilità
Cons
imprevedibilità
Natural history museum
Content Editor (Former Employee) –  London18 January 2016
There's nothing that I really want to put in here. Sorry. Hope you enjoy working here if you are lucky enough to get hired.
Great team environment, surrounded by interesting history
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG11 January 2016
Every day was different, due to a very high volume of people from all walks of life.
There were seven shops within the museum, that staff rotated between with each shift. You had to know the layout of each shop, and be able to give customer service on every item. It was challenging, but fun.
The managers were very good at listening to the staff needs, and always did their best to make it a safe, rewarding and fair workplace.
Everyone on the sales team worked really well together, and had good communication.
The hardest part about this job was having to navigate the large museum premises.
The best part about this job, was the massive diversity in customers. Every day you would meet so many interesting people.
interesting workplace
Gallery Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG28 May 2015
My day would start with a staff meeting. I'd collect my rota for the day and get start

The museum was a font of knowledge. I loved that you not only learned about the exhibits on display but being a tourist attraction we got the opportunity to learn about different country and cultures from out visitors. Also, I learned a lot about the surrounding area where the museum was located.

My co-workers were excellent they made my day go faster. Management could learn to take their stresses out on a ball and less on us.

Hardest part of the job would be unreasonable or impromptu request from managers who oft times had no idea that their demands were not feasible.

Most enjoyable aspect would be the friends I've made both co-workers and visitors alike.
Pros
The stunning building/exhibits
Cons
Being on your feet all day
Typical Big Corporation
Visitor Engagement Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, ENG26 January 2015
Great team, good libraries, poor mangement and lots of training (some good, mostly poor).
Pros
Good training opportunities
Cons
Mediocre management
Amazing and Productive
Volunteer collaboration (Former Employee) –  London5 January 2015
A typical day at work consisted in performing assay with larvae from a marine worm.The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendly atmosphere.

I learned several lab technique such as micronucleus and neutral red assays as well as the culture and maintenance of several aquatic species.
Great place to work and some lovely people too
Assistant Telecoms Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ENG17 November 2014
A very busy and varied job, never knew who could be on the other end of the phone
Pros
Great working environment with good people
Cons
The train journey to and from work was sometimes a nightmare
Proactive and enthusiastic champion of Customer Service
Customer Service Visit Planner (Current Employee) –  London, ENG3 January 2014
A Typical day at work includes proactively engaging with customers and promoting Museum events and products. I have learned how to deliver customer service to a world renown standard and take on the responsibility of representing such a well known institution and constantly developing my practice of the profession. There is a lot of support from the management to deliver excellent service and for personal development and growth. The most enjoyable part of my job is the engagement with customers as I am a peoples person and love this aspect most of all about establishments.
Pros
Meeting lots of exciting people on a daily basis
Cons
Not enough opportunity to take on more responsibilities with another role in the field
Fun and informative workplace
Visit Planner (Current Employee) –  London, ENG8 August 2013
My day starts at the galleries meeting visitors from different cultures and backgrounds, exchanging knowledge and talking to people from a large breadth of diversity.
Large team in which everyone is great to work with. As I good team player, I really enjoy being part of a team like this.
Pros
Flexibility at work
Cons
Long hours standing on our feet
Amazing instution
Voulenteer Intern (Former Employee) –  Cyptoganic Herbarium7 October 2012
I benifited greatly from my time spent at the Natural History Museum
Pros
12 pounds a week allowance
Cons
bring packed lunch as food there will bankrupt you