Natural England

Natural England Employee Reviews

United Kingdom35 reviews
People friendly, helpful free on site parking. Economical restaurant and shop for snacks. Although I only worked there for three months on a temporary contract, I would have liked to have stayed but they didn’t have a suitable role.
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
None I can think of
Job it self is very educational but staff that is in charge in NE is very low in intelligence. The only one way to get a full time job up there is when you know someone who work there full time or you very good friend with them outside of work. I call it begging for company or they always seek for acceptance and attention.
No one stayed more than a few months.
No real leadership and never any thing much to do

Very over staffed and no training provided

Multiple mistakes made and no one really took responsibility
Great place to work, lots of benefits - 33 days A/L + all bank holiday and flexible working allowed. However, culture is a bit old in general, needs a bit more fresh ideas when it comes to management. Most of the permanent staff have been there for decades.
Most good aspects are ruined by a careless attitude to employees welfare after leaving the organisation. NE mislead me at recruitment phase, stating that higher level roles would be made available for more money (higher level roles were made available but salary was capped to equal that at my entry point - regardless of ability). This led to my resignation. 5 months after leaving NE tell me they made a mistake and actually overpaid me for a period of 3 months: demanding payment of a substantial sum of money (via their service provider: SSCL). I don’t have the money, and I honoured every part of my promise and contract. I had no knowledge they were making this error. I adjusted my spending according to my bank balance. I have been threatened with debt collectors and my family have no idea how this will end. NE have been advised by their lawyers not to communicate with me. They have admitted their mistake but will not accept responsibility. We have suffered from months of dispute. I gave them 1 year of excellent service and this is how they repay me. Summary: Excellent Cause, some great people doing great things, but terrible organisation due to a few people making corrosive judgement calls.
Pros
Some great people and a great cause
Cons
Employees welfare is a thing of lipservice and you may be threatened after leaving, restrictive and poorly thought out system
Great place to work with great people only worked here for 1 month had no complaints in this time. Just work hard and ensure you complete the task in hand and you will be fine
Una experiencia laboral que me dió la oportunidad de saltar al mercado laboral. Una experiencia sin duda estupenda.
I worked for Natural England for nearly two years. The benefits are great: 33 days annual leave (plus public holidays), flexitime working hours, home working, Travel time and costs out of office, great mat/paternity, pension etc.

What I found most enjoyable was working with such a like minded group of people who aren't in it for the money, who really care about what their doing. I was in one of the larger teams, we all got on very well and regularly socialised outside of work. The workload was generally steady with regular deadlines, but when it did get busy other colleagues were always willing to help out if they could. Very willing to give opportunities to train and develop.

Of course every where has its cons. The salaries are the lowest of the government environment sector. The organisation is a little stuck in its older ways of doing certain things although I believe this was beginning to change. Because the organisation is government funded they are very strapped for cash which does hold back the achievements of employees (although there are ways of getting around this by finding money outside of the orgnisation). Contest for promotion is high, with a lot of job swapping within the organisation, and apparent cyclical periods of promotion freezes and cut backs.

Overall if you want to work some where you'll enjoy and won't be coming home over stressed or depressed this is the place.

If you want to be paid well, and climb the ranks you should look elsewhere.
Pros
great work/life balance, like minded colleagues, steady workload
Cons
poor pay, difficult promotion, lack of funding
Good company to work for. Very flexible with your working day if you need to take time off. Learned more about the environment. The job in question isn't difficult. Most of the people I work with are helpful and friendly
Pros
flexible, incentive bonuses
Cons
basic rate of pay not great, no on site parking for temporary workers
I started work in NE back in 2016. NE is a non department public body of the UK with tasks mostly related with environmental stewardship, meaning mostly funding for UK farmers that were eligible for such schemes.The place was really enjoyable to work mostly because the colleagues working with were very friendly.

A typical day at work would involve checking web-maps related to agreement holders, check the database regarding their crop quantities, inspect that everything is in accordance with guidelines. Double check with the inspection findings, apply penalty if not after first corresponding with them and preparing invoice for the penalty. There were all sorts of forms for new agreement holders as well but this is a small part of what I did.

I learnt a lot, besides the database skills I had to correspond with agents or the agreement holder themselves. So I believe this job helped me improve my communication skills overall. Managers was very good to work with, although because guidelines changed a lot you had to personally check for them with lack of overall training from superiors.

It was a very flexible and good entry level as a job but I am looking for something more related to my field,
Pros
Quite flexible
Cons
Low pay and career advancement seemed hard
Team great but job security need to be adapted
Team very sociable

gained NVQ 2 qualification

Management lack of flexability

Challenging work

Speak to a variation of people from farmer to hiarchey
Pros
flexi
Cons
job security
Through my brief stint working at Natural England I became familiar with the organisations system of land-use designations based on Higher Level Stewardship (HLS) grants administered to landowners, covering areas as diverse as archaeological management and environmental conservation. Reviewing landholdings and assessing whether grand conditions were still being met was interesting, rewarding work (albeit occasionally frustrating when trying to reach hard-to-contact landholders) made better through working with a relaxed and supportive team.
Pros
Flexible hours, good team, interesting work
Cons
Low pay, Temporary contract
Natural England is a great place to work, the atmosphere is one of knowledge and progress with relaxing undertones to help keep the staff happy, that is to say it is not without stress, but the management are very supportive to the needs of the staff. The flexi system means that you are able to make your work/life balance what you need it to be. They have an array of training courses available so you are able to advance yourself mentally.
Pros
Flexi work
the office is open from 7am to 7pm, flexitime is good for some people and not for others, this helped me a lot with my lifestyle.
the office is modern and pleasant to be in.

the staff there are lovely and laid back.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Flexitime
Cons
non
Employing nearly 2500 people in a flexible, professional working environment, Natural England offers a valuable service to land managers, developers and planners on all aspects of the natural environment.
There is very little opportunity for progression at Natural England. Lots of opportunities to be exploited, while they get people to do work above their grade but not promote them.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
No career progression
I have spent 2.5 years at Natural England.Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan. I feel that mediocrity is welcomed. I feel that there is a lack of real talent or genuine intelligence, which becomes frustrating as it feels as if though little is achieved and ideas lack real vision. I have had rather poor line management; the first manager did very little, the second being a micro-manager. I will be glad to escape.
Pros
Flexible working patterns
Very relaxed and friendly staff and managers.

Training and support is very effective .

Many staff outings.

Flexible schedule

Minimal opportunity for permanent or long term contracts
Everyone here is so lovely, such a pleasure to work here.
Consistently offered support within every element of what you do, which is so difficult to come across nowadays.
This is a great enviroment to work within as there is a clear management structure, plenty of support while you learn the ropes and a good team environment. Though there are many different aspects to the administration job, all are taught well.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Time pressure
NE is a great place to work. If you have a key interest in wildlife and their habitat. There is always lots to you so you are always busy. You learn something new everyday.
Pros
Loads to do. Great team
Cons
Repetitive