Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews

HR Information Analyst (Current Employee) –  Swindon12 July 2018
Really enjoy /enjoyed working at Nationwide good work ethic and pleasent way of working. Empahsis is on working in the community and giving back a great service
Pros
Good Gym and amazing Running club
Would not recommend
Administrator - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth11 July 2018
Low level entry position staff are considered extremely disposable and not deemed important at all, it is made clear in the salary provided along with unrealistic work load expectations. Management is unprofessional and company politics takes priority over staff well being.
Cons
Bad management, very low salary with high expectations
Second class citizen
Shuttle bus driver (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire8 July 2018
If you work in the offices then you’re respected. But if you drive the shuttle bus or work in security or are a cleaner then you get treated as bottom of the barrel. Lower pay rise than office staff and far less benefits. No point complaining about anything you’re not happy with cos they ignore everything.
This job suits me but it’s frustrating when they ignore our complaints about our working conditions
Pros
Hours, friendly
Cons
Management never listen or help
great place
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire6 July 2018
I was a customer service advisor and loved my job. I enjoyed hitting targets for leads to sell the companys products such as personal loans and credit cards.
Good work experience
Assistant + Observer (Former Employee) –  Brixton6 July 2018
During my time here I learned to observe how professionals deal with customers and completed a lot of organizing tasks each day. The place had good management
This place is cancer
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset2 July 2018
If you enjoyed being bullied at school on the playground and are looking to bring that into your "career" (good luck becoming permanent) then this is the place for you!

Managers are 5 year olds that gossip and bully all day long.

Don't expect any of the benefits you are promised ESPECIALLY if you suffer with mental health issues, are a woman, need medical time off, or are pregnant.

You can also expect to get EXTREAMLY under paid for the amount of stress and pressure you have to endure on a daily basis. You would get paid a better salary working in a supermarket part time.
Pros
Literally none
Unproductive, intimidating workplace
Case owner (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset23 June 2018
Unrealistic targets to hit every day. Very poor management style. Managers untrained, do not appreciate their employees and treat them like dirt. They create school-like atmosphere. No chance of progression unless your nose is stuck deeply in managers’ rears. Clicky management team, they treat people like numbers and robots.

Not for people who have a brain, unless you want to work under ignorant and unskilled management. They will make sure to keep intimidating you each day despite all the hard-work you put in.

Favouritism all year long based on looks and likes.

Horrendous

Very high rotation of staff says it all.
Pros
.gym, canteen, work/life balance
Poor culture
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset18 June 2018
Poor management who only look at their own careers and what you can provide them. If you can't aid their progression, you are dropped in favour of someone who can. Double standards, especially to Mental Health Awareness - some preach it's amazing and management support is amazing. In my experience, it was the complete opposite.

Poor work life balance. Poor management understanding of the time it takes to complete a task.

Avoid this company at Bournemouth. Rather take your skills to JP or LV.
Pros
Central location
Cons
Management. Zero career support.
Fantastic
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough15 June 2018
Really enjoyed every minute. Was a steep learning curve , but worth it. Lovely people and not very stressy. Plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Fun and supportive place to work but
Personal Banking Manager, Retail Banking (Current Employee) –  Birmingham8 June 2018
Have worked there for over three years.
Management is second to none, really great culture within the whole of Nationwide. The company does have place for progression but takes time and a lot of patience.

There salary could be a lot more competative, it is a hard wage to live on but more than enough to survive on.
Pros
Great culture, excellent management
Cons
Lack of opertunity, salary could be a lot more competitive
Full Time Customer Representative - Hard Working and Under Paid
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 June 2018
Overall Rating - Working at nationwide I have met some life long friends. Depending on where you're based you can have a good or bad relationship with your colleagues. I have hears some not so pleasant stories.

Job Work/Life Balance - For a full time employee you are there Monday to Friday, Some saturdays are required (around 2/3 per month). You are expected to be there at 8:30 though you're paid from 9. Saturdays are usually 4 hours depending on your branch .

Salary/Benefits - As a CR, I do feel that those in the role are underpaid and hard worked. We are expected to do more than is in our job description and not paid for it. You will find that you pick up the slack for those in higher paid positions. They do offer a range of benefits in the likeness of salary sacrifice schemes to save on tax but they're only really benefits if your use them.

Job Security - Jobs are secure unless you do something very very bad. In terms of advancement it is very much a who you know, going along with the status quo and senior management liking you. This is especially apparent within the branch network.

Management - Overall management is not amazing, definitely room for improvement.

Job Culture - As long as you're seen to be doing what your doing you'll be fine.

NOTE: if applying for this role you can negotiate salary. When I began I was told this was not the case and then later found out it was.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Poor Management, Low salary
Just a number
Personal Banking Manager (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline30 May 2018
If you don't mind being seen as just one of many, you could be happy here but if you want to progress your career, options are limited. Decent working hours and bank holidays off.
Pros
decent working hours
Cons
limited/no progression
Fun place to work
Project Coordinator / PMO (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire29 May 2018
I've been with NBS for almost 3 years now and its the best place I have ever worked.

People are always welcoming and there's room for continuous learning.
Great company to strat your career
Lead Training Consultant, Learning & Development (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth29 May 2018
Nationwide gave me core skills and attributes to grow in my career and as a person. I was able to work in different environments with different people.
friendly and happy work place
Tele-Communications Operative (Former Employee) –  leeds20 May 2018
I enjoyed working for this company and they are very supportive with career advancement. Very friendly work place but targets did keep increasing.They were willing to help and go out their way to make sure my needs were met physically when I needed a special chair and headphones for medical reasons. Initial training was in depth and clear.
Awful
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pegasus House, Swindon16 May 2018
Terrible company to work for:- hours are horrible not enough floor managers, the complaints procedure is a waste of time, outdated computer systems always crashing but your targets stay the same, clicky atmosphere for example if you're a pretty young 20 year old wear what you like if your an older guy that tiny logo on your polo shirt is unacceptable, all Nationwide care about is that each call is dealt with quickly quality doesn't matter. Easily the worst job I've ever had and I'd never recommend anyone to work there unless I didn't like them.
Pros
They have a canteen
Cons
Bad hours, zero support, unrealistic targets, ancient IT systems, culture of promoting those who are friends.
My review
Complaints Handler (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire13 May 2018
I good place to work, where you can move to different departments if you wanted a change in role roles. I learnt a lot about good customer service. Management is good and most of the time flexible.
Great people and environment to work with and in.
Prime case owner (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset11 May 2018
Great people, accepting and inspiring, training...however...the training given doesn't really prepare you for what is expected of you, at least in our case. The training received was delivered over 3 weeks by 3 different instructors and alot of instuction was given without context to the requirements of job or why. This left everyone in training group requiring additional support once on the job proper.

If you're already savy in the world of finances a job here is perfect, there is plenty of opportunity for advancement, just got to get past the playdough exam in training(yes, literally).
Pros
free coffee
Cons
training could be better.
N/a
Service Consultants (Mortgages/Banking) (Former Employee) –  Northampton10 May 2018
• Provide an exceptional level of service and help customer to manage their finances.
• To ensure that every customer interaction has a positive outcome and the needs of customers have been fully met.
• Supplying customer with account information
• Promote other products or services they may benefit from and give them an opportunity to discuss these needs further.
Poor culture
Senior Manager, Strategy & Performance (Former Employee) –  Swindon8 May 2018
Appalling culture where people are not valued. Combine this with an excessive governance structure which means nothing gets done without ExCo approval and it becomes a deeply frustrating place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.