Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews

Step in the right direction
Senior Complaint Handler (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire5 December 2018
Nationwide is a good place to work for as it is a reputable building society that looks after its employees mental health.
Down side of nationwide is that progression is limited and as a loyal employee they are more interested in entising new staff members than keeping the ones that they already have.
Toxic Environment
Case Owner (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset5 December 2018
If you're the type of person who enjoys being yelled at by members of the public and getting no support from your managers then this is the job for you.

I consistently hit my targets (call quality over 90%, over 60 calls a day, never in wrap too long) only to be told to basically shut up and get back on the phone whenever I tried to do anything for my own development and for my team's benefit. Frequently had tasks taken from me and given to other people in the team who would then be praised for it - definite favouritism from managers. One time I put myself into wrap mid-afternoon to run to the loo and came back a minute later to managers at my desk demanding why I hadn't gone at lunch (I had). Was told to stop helping new colleagues who sat around me because 'that's what the team seniors are for', when they were never around/available to begin with. Had one particularly horrific call that ended with me being escorted to a meeting room and given a dressing down for giving out information we were told to give out. Colleagues in other departments frequently didn't want to help you, which left you in the position of being screamed at by a dissatisfied customer.

I did voluntary weekend overtime with an admin team and was denied the chance to move to their team properly as they 'needed me on the phone'. Absolutely no room or support for development if your manager didn't like you.

Ended up getting signed off for a month as I was going into the toilets at the end of the day and sobbing and was phoned every week to ask when I'd be back.

My teammates were the only thing
  more... that kept me going for as long as I did.  less
Pros
Canteen, nice toilets
Cons
No support, lack of development opportunities, horrible environment to work in
Progression
AML Analyst (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire4 December 2018
Great for progression and working your way up the ladder.

Too much focus on small tasks and hitting figures than the over all advancement of departments.
Comfortable employer
Mortgage Consultant (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire28 November 2018
Once you have managed to become a permanent member of staff a number of windows of opportunity will open and the benefits of working with Nationwide are near infinite. You have job security, death in service, sick pay, extra staff benefits and being part of the Nationwide Staff Union opens up even more.
In the Mortgage department providing advice over the phone the environment is fast paced and you are constantly busy with appointments, meetings or managing on-going cases. This can be touch as you have to adapt to individual members way of thinking to ensure you are providing advice in a way they understand. The most challenging part of working in this department I find are the restrictions of taking time off and managing holidays due to the individual departments regulations on how many weekends you are allowed to take restricted to 4 a year, and with the shift patterns working every other weekend this can impact your work life balance. That said, if you enjoy talking and meeting lots of people and being in a fast paced office then this is the place for you, there are high expectations and you are monitored not just on the advice but for what the members through of you, the accuracy of documents sent in by the members, the length and quality of initial contact interviews carried out before the booked appointment and your overall case management. With calls being recorded they will be listened to by your manager and fed back, sometimes other managers and separate departments to ensure you are always delivering suitable advice and doing the best for our members.
A draw back
  more... can be longer hours with no compensation should a call take you past the end of your shift and  less
Customer Consultant
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire28 November 2018
An average day with working for Nationwide is nice, its easy going and relaxed. As long as you have a good manager you will fit in and find your place. career wise is brilliant for developing yourself
Generally good
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  East Sussex25 November 2018
Lots of change happening very quickly currently. Very different culture now to when I started 10 years ago. Limited chances for career progression within the branches
Broad and Always something to do
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire20 November 2018
Nationwide is a great place to work, friendly and hardworking individuals that know what the expectations are and always willing to help where necessary, always a positive vibe not just in the department you work in but throughout the business. Customers are a pleasure to speak to.
It's a trap
customer consultant (Current Employee) –  Nationwide Pegasus19 November 2018
A typical day of work consists of answering a stream of phone calls to mostly alright customers for a number of hours - as it is a call centre the staff turn over is ridiculous with people leaving every week and new ones starting all the time, the hardest part of the job is the depressing gloom and what I found to be mind numbing and tedious work. You are sat down all day - staring at a screen with head phone talking constantly, it's like being plugged in you lose all concept of the outside world it is not enjoyable (well not for me anyway).
Pros
Employee benefit scheme
Cons
8 hour days, irregular shift patterns
Hmmm
Banking Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife18 November 2018
Worst environment to work in people full of their own self importance, people being promoted after being there a mere 6-9 months to call coach/floor support who do not have the knowledge to help! Managers are told to avoid eye contact with consultants looking for help! Stat driven which they say theyre not but if you slip into not ready youre guaranteed superior breathing down your neck . As for abscence well its high its a stressful job as the support tools not there. If you do have to call in sick be prepared to answer a thousand questions have your meds on hand to spell and provide the right dosage also might be worth finding out your blood type! Terrible morale, feels like being at school the way you are spoken to.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Too many
Great culture, customer focussed
Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Northan5 November 2018
A great place to work, excellent training & onboarding, ongoing development and review of performance, promotion opportunities across a broad range of roles

Superb culture, customer centric company
Pros
Culture, development and career progression
Great place to work grow and develop a career
Training and Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire2 November 2018
Great environment to work in, very people focused. Transitioning into a more agile, tech led financial service. Largest Building Society in the world, 15+ Million members.
Pros
Cons
Risk adverse
Really poor experience
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dunfermline, Fife30 October 2018
I was absolutely thrilled to start my new job as a customer service consultant at nationwide in Dunfermline at the contact center as although I had never worked in customer service before, Throughout the recruitment process I couldn't hear enough about how great of a place nationwide is to work for and the various progression opportunities. I was very wrong. Training was not too bad actually and my training group gel'd together fairly quickly however on the first week I only spoke to one of my soon to be team-mates and the training group were essentially left to complete a handbook about nationwide and banking in general by ourselves in the middle of the office on the call floor. This was not very good because we literally sat there the full week doing e-learning modules you would pass with your eyes closed. although the trainers at caley house were very genuine and nice people. Fast forward 5 weeks and you're now on your own excited to see what the future brought - first two months for me were not too bad as I felt as if I was just finding my feet however after that the management start to really care about stats and your adherence to your schedule. This was an enormous pressure on me as what every single employee in dunfermline will tell you - the systems are outdated and rubbish - allow 15 mins before work to log on and if you're lucky it may only crash once during the day. Nationwide is a great place to work if you love the following -
Terrible IT systems which are outdated
Pointless processes which seem as if they are there to make your life difficult
Constant pressure
  more... from management (Who you will 100% question their ability) to achieve unrealistic targets due to the IT systems
Long queues of 100+ on a regular basis - which means speaking to customer's for hours on end - one after the other who would frequently become abusive and leave your future colleagues in tears.
favoritism - which you will notice a lot of as it's the only reason the majority of senior staff are in their roles so you're essentially not getting anywhere if your face does not fit- which you will see loads of people stuck in customer service consultant roles for years
and finally expect the majority of your training group to not be there for long.
You will be punished for not sticking to your schedule and taking calls when your computer freezes! (which it will)
Lunch 3 hours into shifts and very often at different times to people in your team - leaving you alone at lunch
and loads of shifts where you'll work thursday, off friday, work saturday and off sunday and then working mon-fri/sat.
Subtle re-assurance that you are replaceable due to people leaving new people appearing every week - not knowing what they have got themselves into!

Unfortunately in my case I had it really bad as the management in caley house had enough time to allocate a day off to help the community such as painting fences at fordell firs which i did - but could not find the time to actually let me have my 6 month probation meeting to get a pay rise from over 2 months ago. (This was me personally so cannot speak for everyone however they are completely out of order).

Ranting aside you will meet some genuine people and will make a few friends for life - you have all got the task of working there and all the pressures but together it makes it just a bit easier.

Overall I had to quit my job due to the stress and mental health issues it was causing me - expect a lot of people to quit due to this or be off sick for extended periods of time but I will miss 3 things, The cantene, the breaks and the people in my team. Nationwide especially at Caley house - is such a shame due to the wasted talent.

I joined in Feb and barely lasted until october.
Pros
Good cantene, good breaks and people in customer consultant jobs often very nice and will try to help
Cons
Too many to list please read full review
Productive environment
Case Owner (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset30 October 2018
Working at Nationwide was rewarding and good work was well recognised. Good professional and social balance, however towards my fourth year management standards had dropped and motivation began to be lost around staff.
Pros
Large well recognised company
Cons
Performance reviews were less regular than stated
Great job but rubbish hours
Customer Service Adviser (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire29 October 2018
It's a great high paced job however the wages do not reflect the job expectation
Amazing at trying to work with you to be able to stay within the business and very supportive of you if you have any issues both in or out of work.
Great team of people
Excellent job for young people as a starter job as opportunity to progress is amazing not so great if you are older and you will not get the same level of enthusiasm if you are older from management.

There is no work/life balance
minimum wage
Far too much pressure
Lied to at interview in terms of working hours as was advised until 6pm and Saturdays when required. It's until 8pm and every other Saturday.
If you go in as a temp be prepared to have to work 6 month probation when made permanent. No matter if you have already worked there 6 months/1 year etc as a temp.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Work life balance
Horrible
Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline19 October 2018
I like to go to the toilet without it being monitored and evaluated how long I take - stats are ridiculous. Management dreadful. Call centre work is way more stressful than it should be
Pros
Free hot drinks
Financial Services
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare10 October 2018
• Providing excellent customer service face to face in the branch or over the phone.
• Being able to identify a customer’s needs quickly and efficiently and building a good rapport with customers.
• Providing a wide range of Financial services and transactions whilst abiding by Financial Conduct regulations and Data Protection.
• Have extensive knowledge on all the products and services we provide.
• Key holder for the branch and safe.
• Selected as a ‘Nationwide Values’ Representative.
• Being Vigilant at all times, keeping up to date with Financial threats including Fraud and Money laundering.
• Using multiple computer database systems.
• Responsible for Daily reconciliation of Branch ATM’s.
Good hardworking environment
Personal Banking Insurance Manager (Current Employee) –  North West4 October 2018
Managing a large portfolio of existing/new members. Offering a range of different products to them and tailoring these to their needs. Strong diary management skills needed. Management are fine, and the member (customer) is ALWAYS at the heart of everything done (which is the right way). Lots and lots of plates to constantly spin and always more asked of you. Meeting new people on a regular basis and dealing with a lot of return business is great.
Pros
Decent pension
Cons
Not enough progression now unfortunately
Mutual building society
Personal Banking Insurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire3 October 2018
Nationwide has a great worth ethos. If you are interested in a mutual and feel that those values are important to you , this is a great place to work.
Cashier/Typist (Former Employee) –  Guildford27 September 2018
It was a nice place to work as dealt with members of the public helping them where needed.
Also working behind the scenes was interesting and varied..
Used to be a nice place to work
Senior Technical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire25 September 2018
Used to be a great place to work with proud employees. Unfortunately the management is a little bit lost and the company is at the hands of greedy and unfaithful partners.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
Lack of ownership and accountability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.