Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews

Branch Manager / Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire17 January 2018
A responsible employer with great opportunities to progress.

This company has helped me build on my managerial experience and seen relapse my potential as a leader.
Pros
enjoyable workplace, great people
Cons
lack of progression in some departments
Brilliant
Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire14 January 2018
An absolutely brilliant place to work, I've enjoyed every second. They've given me such a great basis in technology and its affect on our customers. I highly recommend it.
a job
Inbound telephonist (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire11 January 2018
I learned a lot at nationwide : interest rates, saving options, vast amount of accounts.
I find that the management is not sufficient.
the work itself is good the hours suit
Good overall company
Performance and Competency Lead (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire11 January 2018
Nationwide has a great culture and the benefits and work life balance is good. A typical working day is 9am-5pm but the company is flexible around other commitments. The hardest part of the job is the lack of development due to the longevity of people who work at Nationwide. it is a company with a low turn over and many people have worked in the society for over 10 years. The best part of the job is the people, it is like a family and generally most people are great to work with daily,
Cons
Lack of Development
Cashier
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wood Green8 January 2018
Good company to work for many avenues to progress in the business from cashier to management would recommend this company can transfer branches if branch comes available due to relocation
fun work place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire5 January 2018
Good place to work, encouraged to progress, everyone works as a team, treated fairly, only downfall is they employee lots of temps and after you spend time training them they soon disappear.
Pros
hours, weekends off
Cons
wasted time training
Great place, great people
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire4 January 2018
Having worked at NBS for 2.5years, I've met and worked alongside some fantastic people. It's wonderful to know that I have gained friends as well as colleagues.
Overbearing Sales Culture
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Yeovil, Somerset2 January 2018
I believe they may have changed their stance since when I worked there but the sales culture was very overbearing, a lot was expected of you despite the wage being low, but the staff are a good lot.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Low wage/high expectation
tight fisted and push overs
Senior Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Moulton, Northamptonshire29 December 2017
A typical day at Nationwide is on the phones as a telephony consultant is dealing with a mixture of people. Being on the phones you learn the good and bad about the general public and members of staff as people have no real filter as they believe they are on top of the world due to them being in the comfort of their home or office. When people are nice they are really nice and when they are in a foul mood or things are not going their way then they turn for the worse. Management can be really difficult too deal with exceptions of course. The managers look after them selves mainly with the false impression that they are their for you until you ask them for help or assistance which they are never to be seen or they are too busy. Nationwide do care for people and they do give a lot for charity but they are a push over as companies go. As a consultant I am told their are strict policy and processes however as soon as a member mentions a complaint they drop their policy and process following compensation and feed back to the consultant for following that policy and process which then goes against your yearly bonus. The companies targets are too harsh and you can't go to the toilet without someone questioning your where about's. The hardest part of my job is dealing with some of the other departments who are unwilling to help and the constant changes that they put in place not because it's for the business but because they would like to mess people around. I have noticed that one skill set is really busy so instead of getting more people they move consultants from one skill to the  more... other with weeks of training meaning that the skill they came from has been affected but the other one gets worse due to no cover. The technology at Nationwide is the worst I have ever dealt with. The system are out dated and always breaking. There is no sense in investing in more systems but instead keep fixing the broken ones not only this the company waste its money on silly systems that have no relevance to the job or business at hand and then make it mandatory which means the job just become harder for no reason. The enjoyable thing about my job is the people I work with. Everyone is hard working and wasted talent who get taken advantage of by management.  less
Pros
Good workers
Cons
Bad Technology
good
Customer Service Administrator for Mortgages (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire28 December 2017
Good place to work. Busy days and learning opportunities available. Flexible for working parents. You are sometimes moved or leant out to other departments to learn skill of different jobs to expand your knowledge.
The hardest part of the job is when workload are extremely high without any explanation and everyone is under a great deal of pressure and if there is holiday or sickness on the team it can increase the pressure.
The most enjoyable part of the job Is the recognition you get from your manager, colleagues and sometimes customers showing that you have been appreciated and that you have worked really hard and deserve to be recognised and thanked.
Pros
understanding ti working parents
Cons
pressure
Nice Place to work
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  London17 December 2017
Good place to start work and gain some solid experience in a regulated, audited environment but this was not a significant career progression step for me.
Personal Banking Manager
Personal Banking Manager (Current Employee) –  Coventry Road Birmingham13 December 2017
My daily job entails that I am working as a team player ensuring that if any of my colleagues need any assistance then I am visible in the banking hall to provide excellent customer service. I have interviews booked with customer to meet their daily needs presently and for the future. These could be banking, savings, mortgages and investments. I do work closely with my branch manager, customer representatives, financial planning manager and mortgage consultant. I provide energisers for the team to give them the knowlege of our products. I love meeting new and existing customers and building their relationship. I love that customers come back to Nationwide because they are happy with the service that i provided and therefore will recommend their family and friends.
Excellent company
Fraud Analyst I (Former Employee) –  TSYS Coventry8 December 2017
in the scheme of financial services providers.I actually worked for TSYS who provide their credit card services so this review should be considered void.
Nice place to work, great customer services to it customers
Six Sigma Black Belt (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire8 December 2017
Great place to work, lots of reasons as to why staff enjoy working there. Lots of contractors working alongside permanent members of staff.
You are allowed time to get on with your work and lots of automony to deliver your job objectives.
A complex business with lots of change taking place - with lots of stakeholders, this does slow down the pace of change
Pros
Great work site
Challenging and Inconsistent
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire6 December 2017
I had a great 13 years and a very challenging 2 years at Nationwide.

There are a great bunch of people that work there, however, expectations can be unrealistic and there are inconsistencies depending on where and who you work for.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long hours for management
Friendly and good work place
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Swindon5 December 2017
Nationwide is a very good place to work for as they respect and welcome all cultures and provide flexibility for all employees.
All are friendly and helpful .
Employees valued and great benefits
Employee Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Swindon4 December 2017
The only reason I left Nationwide was because I wanted to develop my events career. You get so many wonderful benefits for your service and you feel like your say matters.
Pros
access to gym and salon, generous yearly bonus, employee discounts, 28 days holiday
Cons
large corporation
Fun workplace
Mortgage Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset25 November 2017
This can be a very changeling role from speaking to different customers such as brokers, solicitors, and direct customers relating to mortgages. ......
Pros
Fun
Cons
Hard work
Good environment to work in
Case Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Home Based23 November 2017
No two days are the same, and lots of complex case management to deal with. Good fun. Lots of travel, great company support and benefits. Good team in general.
Good values
Customer Journey and Change Manager (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire22 November 2017
Nationwide has good values but can be limiting in terms of progression for specialist role. The people who work there are great and do make the job in terms of enjoyment. I feel it lacks by being only a National company where as working for a global company does have advantages of being able to gain on the job experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.