Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews

Excellent customer service
Personal Banking Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 September 2018
Greeting customers, meetings to discuss savings, current accounts, credit cards, home insurance, personal loans, mortgages and financial planning services.
Providing excellent customer service, building rapport with customer and building strong relationships.
Strong work culture, very supportive
Supporting customers and making a positive impact on their financial situation is the most enjoyable part
Pros
management support
Cons
extra hours
Fun place to work
Servicing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset12 September 2018
It's a great place to work as you work as a whole to increase the team's productivity. People are nice, you receive great benefits and everyone is always there to help as and when needed.
Superb
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Swindon11 September 2018
excellent ability to move through the ranks, plenty of opportunity.

Relaxed work environment.

Ideal for early office workers - at the beginning of their career
Great company but difficult to work in branch network
Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 September 2018
Branch network it's always under staffed so there's always much more things to do compared to what you are supposed to do.
However, my team and in general teams are amazing and also the culture is really good. I've been involved many times in volunteering activities in and outside the branch.
Mortgage Administrator
Mortgage Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth6 September 2018
Working at Nationwide, especially the finance team, has really helped me gain the knowledge skills and behaviours to really grow my potential as a professional in the workplace and really fulfil a rewarding role. The experience is fantastic however the understanding of work and roles is difficult from above. in summary, Nationwide is a great experience and the skills I have learnt are invaluable.
Rsi
Data Entry Clark (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire30 August 2018
from 8-3 all we did was type and there was a 10 minute break that we could take during the day. We were discouraged from talking other team members and were reprimanded if targets were not met. everything had targets and the times were lowered once everyone had been trained on it.
Pros
finish early
Cons
no freedom
Claims handler
Claims Advisor (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire27 August 2018
I worked for Nationwide Building Society for 10 years undertaking a variety of different roles.

Good benefits, flexible hours and bonus scheme

Was made redundant as part of a change in underwriter
Charity Organisation
PERSONAL BANKING AND INSURANCE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire27 August 2018
if you feel you want to work for a charity then this is a best place.their technology is far backdated, too many loopholes in getting things done.same pressure as banks for selling their products. salary is better than banks but progression rise is only 5% so way too less. company is still stuck with 18th century accounts. saturday & long thurs openings hours. too many conference calls & meetings/action plans for no use. region keeps changing with new managers. you feel micro managed. if you are bored & needed some work to do this place is best i.e no mortgage, no bills to pay then this job will help you or else waste of your time & life. they claim to be ethical- but more of a charity with business minded. don't trust their diversity & inclusion as they are far more rasicist than what you see on advert. Their add is so bad that none of the employees likes. worse job I ever had & can't get my time back in my life. never I would recommend.
Pros
Cons
Bored
Many people love it - not me
Architect (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire23 August 2018
People love Nationwide so much they stay there for years, and years, and years. That is the root of the problem, along with the politics of niceness, which means that poor decisions, even ones made 5 or 6 years ago cannot be criticised.
Good
forecast analyst (Former Employee) –  swindon22 August 2018
Learned a lot, good fun, enjoyable

The world's largest building society, run for the benefit of its members. Helping you with your current account, mortgage, savings and other personal finance
Good

Want to know more about Nationwide Building Society?

Ask a question
Ethical but overly conservative
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire16 August 2018
It's a really good organisation to work for as the benefits package are quite generous.

However the skills and experience of staff is limited at lower management level. So you struggle to introduce outside concepts.

Workplace culture is good and are they are very customer centric. However they are equally cautious about everything and scared of putting a step wrong. Therefore they are less progressive than their competitors.
Fantastic place to work
Area Support Assistant/PA to Area Director (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex15 August 2018
Nationwide are a fantastic company to work for and I believe in their ethics and values. The most enjoyable part of my job is that everyday is different and varied working with different people on all levels.
Pros
good pension, healthcare scheme
.Good place to work
Deputy Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London12 August 2018
.Managing remotely , Managing my own team as well as the senior Area team
Culture is great , good work life balance . I love working and developing the people . Also , work with charities .
Professional Company
Customer Host (Current Employee) –  ipswich10 August 2018
I start with doing the branch opening, checking the building is secure for the staff to come into work and customers.
I service the ATM's, taken cash and cheques out of them and making sure they balance.
I am the initial face for Nationwide in welcoming customers to the branch .
I make sure the daily dairy is up to date for appointments and direct all clients to their appointment's and keep all staff focused on their timed scheduled. I also keep the the marketing leaflets stands full and compliant.
I see customer for enquires, saving, investments, problem solving. I order all marketing for the branch from receipts for customers paying money in to leaving with leaflets for customers about products the advisors use for appointments.
Pros
customer based service
Cons
flexabilty on hours
Not the Company for me
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Head Office, Swindon10 August 2018
The culture of Nationwide was not right for me. I disliked the favoured culture it continuously displayed. If you was a show boater jumped up and down to say look what I've done, they had no appreciation of employees that did a good job and just got on with it
not great
Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire8 August 2018
No development opportunities and will not help with any qualifications or advancing yourself.
Ok for a gap fill but have changed ALOT in the last 2 years
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
no work life balance
Used to be fun
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 August 2018
My time at Nationwide was lovely until the directors decided to refurbish the branches.
Dreadful, so many things restrict you from giving great customer service.
And IT always crashing , unbelievable. Everyday at least 1 ,2 or 3 teller units fail.
Embarrassing.
With the new system , transactions take twice as long as need to enter details on two different systems. Bonkers.
It is such a shame. I would still be there if it wasn't for all these issues.
Pros
Love helping people.
Cons
Not paid for extra hours just expected, High staff turnover in branches, People leave because manager incapable of running branch and helping out in busy periods, Morale low due to not enough staff.
Good work life balance
Mortgage and Protection Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nationwide Building Society29 July 2018
It was a good place the work. The work life balance was good for a financial environment. The salaries were in keeping with what you would expect for the job.
Productive work environment
PPI Case Handler (Current Employee) –  Glasgow28 July 2018
Handled complex PPI complaint on mult-loan cases that involve reconstruction as a result of the complaint being an existing customer of the bank with a live loan.
I learn to check deeply on the system in other to establish any previous claim made by the customer on PPI policy being complained about and investigated customers complain involving payment protection insurance, taking decision whether to uphold or reject the complain base on the evidence researched and presented.
Our work place culture has been great and works as a team.
The hardest part of the job is managing complaints from start to finish within a pressurized target and the most enjoyable is because I have the necessary skills and ability to perform and assimilate complex document and able to carry out an extensive and detailed investigation makes it very easy for me to adapt.
Overall a good place to work
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire26 July 2018
Great overall corporate culture. A company that offers very favourable employee benefits and flexibility in terms of working hours. Value placed on personal development. Amazing onsite facilities (gym, well being etc).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.