Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society Employee Reviews

United Kingdom676 reviews
Northampton Moulton Park
Working at nationwide was ok. There's a lot of information to learn and so much to take in.
It was very stressful a lot of the time, members being extremely rude frequently and call times very high.

I was off with mental health a few times, reassured that I could take more time off if needed. Then I was fired, which I'm sure is against the Equality act of 2010.

Lack of social life as you'll find yourself constantly working.

False reassurance constantly.
Insightful and productive
Work placement shadowing a branch manager, developing skills required in a day to day local branch environment. Gained good experience and knowledge of the environment
Productive but fast paced change
Nationwide is a great household name and on the whole it is a very solid and secure place to work. it largely depends on which area of the business you work in for how you will be treated as an individual. in areas I've worked, its been fantastic, but there can be a lot of silo working which means not all areas are aligned in their approach to treating people well.
good for beginners
Good opportunity for people who wants to start job in financial institution. Jobs are not too difficult and always someone to help. Quite relaxed and easy going team leaders.
Productive and stress-free workplace
good company, full training provided, management looking after employee, casual dress code allowed, friendly people, good working hours, career development possibilities.
Pros
Friendly workplace, In-site canteen, Mon-Friday
Cons
salary a bit low
It's not a very pleasant place to work. The atmosphere is not conducive and the management has a lot to learn in terms of workplace culture - which is nothing to write home about. I would prefer not to say on this occassion
Competitive and supportive
It was enjoyable to work at Nationwide Building Society. We had frequent in-house training courses and we shared best practices. Our performance was reviewed monthly.
Great place to work, not stressful and understanding Management.
Slow to make changes and budgets are tight.

On a fixed term contract couldn't keep me
Very Pressured
Stress levels are off the scale with long hours and no overtime. Far too many meetings with too few outcomes, followed by delegation down the hierarchy until the tasks fall to the bottom
Pros
Nice teams
Cons
Parking, stress, pressure
Good Employer
Nationwide encourages an inclusive and diverse culture.
A typical day is working 9-5 with flexibility dependant on what team or area you work for.

Nationwide is a fair employer and encourages it's brand of PRIDE behaviours.
Great company to work for
Great company, training very good and managers very supportive. If you are willing to learn there are plenty of opportunities. The working hours can be challenging.....
great place to work
open culture
desire to succeed

modern technology

engaged chief executive

social ethos

always lots going on in the office

on site facilities such as gym, shops, canteen
Pros
benefits and people
Cons
driving to swindon every day
Great company to work for.
Iv been in banking for a while now.

Nationwide is a company that cares about their staff and their members, since starting I have been made to feel like part of the family, everything we do is around helping members with every need they may have and we are recognised for going the extra mile.
Poor pay with high level of micro management
They offer you plenty of career progression at interview but the truth is there is none. The teams are great but with high staff turnover due to lack of progression.
The pay is poor considering what they want from you, which is a shame because the actual company could be great.
Loved working here done a lot of tempting jobs a few years back but changed wuite significantly
I was in the call centre totally new to me I found this too much unfortunately so I left regrettably. I used to do the back office work previously , I wished I could have done that instead . I love the place a I was so proud to have worked here and would love the opportunity to do so again in the future. The management were fantastic and the benefits too.
Awful
Do not ever get a job here, they do not care about your health or wellbeing at all. I was let go due to them hiring too much staff but they used the excuse of my 3 day absence as an excuse so when applying for new jobs its harder. Your expected to do a stressful and tiring job which really does take a toll on your mental health and they have absolutely no support system to support employees.
Don't work here unless you're at rock bottom
As a mortgage administrator you get roughly £300 a week for a 9-5. (Some opportunity for flexible working but not guaranteed). Targets are impossibly high. Every piece of work you do is timed and you have to log everything you do. They allocate an average time for each task eg a phone call is worth three minutes if youre on the phone and it takes 20 minutes because you can't just hang up tough. You then get behind the unachievable target and have to explain to your managers why you're a failure. No sick pay until youre perm as apparently you're self employed not a temp, which doesn't happen often so you have to use holiday pay which you accrue as you work if you're sick. No job security as they hire mostly temps for entry level jobs. Avoid at all costs
Pros
Free coffee when machine not broken. V
Cons
No sick pay temp v perm mentality, Add responsibilities for the same pay, Targets stupid high, Most benefits are for perm
Everyday is different
It’s a customer facing role so you have to be a people person
Love the challenge of resolving customer issues and building great relationships with the regulars.

Everyone is different and they love the fac5 we are a building society not a bank

Great team to work with, a brilliant pension and Regular hours.

Lots of scope for promotion and an annual bonus
cashier
seeing all types of members meeting their needs making them aware of products and services
handling cash

taking enquries

diverse

independent training

25 days holiday
Slow development
It's definitely seems to be about "who you know" to get yourself forward, and not on actually merit. They pick who they like to climb the ranks despite best efforts made by others. Doesn't really seem to progress key time workers. Good culture of people if you're happy to stay comfortable, training is very much on the job and learn as you go which is quite fast paced when you're handling cash acompleting
A fantastic place to work
Nationwide genuinely work by putting their members first and foremost. Colleagues do care and it feels less stuffy the some other financial institutions.

As with all large organisations though there are people who have progressed due to sheer longevity of service, a lot of managers don't have technical know how and Nationwide's technology can be

archaic - but on the whole it's a great place to work and if you do go full time they offer fantastic benefits.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Building Society. Our community is ready to answer.