National Trust Employee Reviews

fun and upbeat workplace
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ham, Greater London31 January 2017
It was very enjoyable and there was lovely staff members.
The environment was very nice and the place itself was a lovely place to work.
Pros
free lunches and great staff
Cons
Not enough breaks
Very educational place to work
Chef / cook (Former Employee) –  Burwash17 January 2017
The National Trust has been a very educational and fun place to work for.
They were very good with training and would help anybody with any questions and the management are always on hand to help.
Membership dep
Membership and Donations Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Swindon14 January 2017
Customer service assistant to members who make regular donations to the company. I also assisted with face to face meeting with the public and gave advice on which are the best National trust sites/properties to visit.
Pros
Lovely food on site
Cons
No job security and low pay
Fun & Encouraging Environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montacute, Somerset9 January 2017
Despite some stressful days, the moral of the whole team boosts the atmosphere. Lovely people who worked together as a team to achieve the highest possible service. I learnt so many new skills on a day to day basis and felt important and vital in the process.
Pros
Free lunches, 20% off in shop
Cons
Stressful environment, long hours in winter
Easy!!
Waiter/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Brean Sands, Somerset17 December 2016
The job was easy. It was a good job to keep my bank balance alive through my A levels. Really enjoyed the people and customers and the job was very flexible.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Boring at times
excellent clientele with fantastic scenery to work in
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taplow15 December 2016
a typical day at the NT (Cliveden manor house)
is to set up the cafe and make sure coffee machines and whatnot are filled up and clean, as well as the fridge and other snacks .

once open, generally serving customers or stock replenishment.

management were good on some levels and other levels were incompetent and added more to the workload without necessarily increasing efficiency (micromanagement etc).

co workers varied across ages with most being agreeable save the odd one or two but overall, attracted good colleagues.

hardest part of the job was serving large volumes of customers during school holidays.

best part of the job was the beauty and fresh air of walking among the grounds during work
Pros
free or subsidised lunch
Cons
could be very cold during the winter to work
Beautiful Estate to work at
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland18 November 2016
Work starts at 9/10am. It's heavy duty which can be difficult. My co-workers are lovely and we all get on really well. Learnt a lot of basic important life skills for day to day upkeep of keeping your home clean and tidy. The Estate is beautiful - it definitely is a great place to work.
Pros
Free membership to all NT properties
run workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Keighley6 November 2016
A nice atmosphere with good people to help you learn the ropes . Nice benefits but could be better. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and hope i may have a chance to have a good job there
Busy but fun
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morden6 November 2016
I worked with National Trust almost six years. Its a really busy but fun place to work at. Also the pay is really really good. I used to get £8.50 but i think its more now.
Manager at National Trust
Visitor Welcome Manager (Current Employee) –  Dorking8 October 2016
Varied and challenging role dealing with visitors and staff in a variety of situations. Spending time both outdoors and in the office.
Great if you love history
Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlecote25 September 2016
You work at some amazing sites all across Britain, in some truly unique places, which are full of unknown history or in some of the most well known historical spots.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Open 364 days a year! No bank-holidays
If you love history it's great!
Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlecote25 September 2016
You get to work in the most fantastic sites, with some amazing people, working with volunteers is very unique. Every day is different, new surprises, you leave saying well today i did this...
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Open year round
Enjoy working there, everyone is friendly
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bodmin24 September 2016
A typical day at work, is fun and you get to meet new people. I have learned so much more people skills which I put to use within work and in my social life.
Pros
Friendly
brilliant enviroment
plant sales advisor (Current Employee) –  hidcote15 September 2016
very relaxed atmosphere, but a very supportive staff that really care about the employees.
I learned a lot about the trust while working there, and have learned a lot about retail.
Pros
good pay
Cons
only seasonal
fascinating opportunity
visitor experience assistant (Former Employee) –  bodiam8 September 2016
A good grounding in visitor management and a fascinating exploration of Heritage and Museum issues. Alas the National Trust offers little advancement opportunities for those on the bottom of the ladder and a culture of elitism still prevails at certain levels of management.
Fun and encouraging
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bookham4 September 2016
Feel valued and respected
Working as part of a larger team
Many roles and training available
Different every day
Polite customers
Pros
Free lunches and responsibilities with time
Cons
Short rota notice
Really good place to work
Kitchen Assistant/Catering (Current Employee) –  Worcester27 July 2016
I been working here for 3 years nearly and i started on pot wash then moved onto kitchen assistant now im cooking when the chef isn't in but managers are rubbish they treat you like rubbish!

The cookbook is easy to use as well

Well good place to work looks good on CV as well
Pros
Free lunch, free entry to all national trust places including car parks, history loads
Cons
Long hours, money is rubbish for what u have to do, managment
Fun and Friendly Workplace
Work Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Worksop, Mr Straws House14 July 2016
Friendly staff. Carefree approach. Learnt a lot about time keeping, task management and about the overall beliefs of the company. Learnt a lot about conservation. Learnt cash handling skills and customer service skills when communicating with customers either in person or over the phone. Learnt valuable information about the property so I could answer questions if customers had any queries. friendly co-workers with a positive attitude, made me feel welcome and gave me adequate training which i required.
Pros
Friendly staff. The national Trust looks good on your CV.
Cons
only four paid staff at the property, the rest are volunteers.
Great atmosphere to work.
Assistant Ranger (Former Employee) –  Stockport11 July 2016
Loved it. The mixture of customer service and outdoor work was a nice feeling to see my accomplishments and then for visitors to compliment and appreciate them. I worked earlier most times in the morning and slightly later in the evening simply because I enjoyed my job and am more than willing to help others out if needed. I picked up a multiple of new skills when working along side the rangers and they made me feel part of the team for the duration I worked there. Every single person there, rangers and volunteers, aided me in every way they could and made me feel welcomed. The hardest part of what i did, had to be when I had to work in the pouring rain building structures, as well as the 9 mile ride i had to endure in the morning and then the 9 mile ride back home, however that did not bother me too much as I enjoyed every opportunity they threw at me. There were many enjoyable moments whilst I worked there, but i have to say the most enjoyable parts were when I worked alongside both the rangers and volunteers, simply because the laughs we had, but the work still got done. I enjoyed building a raised footpath for the younger visitors to use as is was very rewarding seeing all of the children run up and down it,and the parents complimenting us saying what a wonderful job we were doing. I enjoyed it there so much I am currently in the process of signing up for volunteering for Lyme Park.
Pros
Satisfaction of knowing I made a change.
Cons
18 mile round trip on a push bike.
Stressful and awful
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worksop20 June 2016
Awful place to work at Worksop clumber park
Management not helpful pay shocking expected to work a lot of unsociable hours
Complete chaos no organisation no training given
Long hours lucky to get a break
They don't pay staff correctly or on time each month
Best part of job was handing my notice in
They cannot keep staff
Never worked for someone with so little regard for there staff
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Unsociable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.