National Trust Employee Reviews

Productive and freindly
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Woodlands11 October 2018
Volunteer days.
Help with clearing hedges and invasive species.
Dealing with the general public and assisting educational talks.
Very friendly staff and other volunteers. Can get really involved with all the projects.
Friendly place to work
Buisness support (Current Employee) –  North Yorkshire29 June 2018
It is a friendly place to work. Unfortunately not enough salaried contracts. All the management i have meet are very helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people.
Pros
Beautiful places to work
Cons
I need more hours
good
Volunteer at Erddig Country Estate (Former Employee) –  Wrexham8 November 2018
i was a volunteer and only completed a 2 week work experience here in order to complete my course at college .......................................
Good
Ranger (Former Employee) –  Isle of Wight25 October 2018
Only worked there for a summer, but very enjoyable. Would definitely suggest working there for anyone interested. Great charity and they do a lot of work across the UK
Disappointing
Events Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Stewart, County Down8 August 2013
This position was posted at a salary of 13 thousand plus per year, but that is not the case. When you receive your confirmation letter you also receive a contract whereby you are not guaranteed any hours. From March till now I have earned around 500 pounds. It is very disappointing as I feel that I have wasted time training etc. where I could have been working at gainful employment. I don't feel it is quite honest. In addition you are not informed when they will need you until the last minute, making you unable to plan your working/weekend activities.

Aside from those problems - which are major - I do endorse the National Trust's visions and philosophy.
Cons
Limited promotions; poor salary; poor communication
Unique and challenging role
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Northumberland29 June 2018
A varied job, involving site care and presentation, working with staff and volunteers. Lots of interaction with public, contractors, and heritage specialists.
Enjoyed this role very much.
Pros
Great work culture, huge variety of tasks
Cons
Lower than private sector pay
Visitors experience
Visitor Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland3 May 2018
Cleaning Hezlett house taking tours tiding help out at events sch as the kite festival and other events at Downhill Demesne and Mussenden Temple. Weeding the Gardens. Did not get long enough lunch beak the Management bad communicating and telling me i could put in for travel allowance. it along time to get uniform.
Pros
talking to the general public
Cons
lack of commutation
No help when asked
Catering and Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire11 January 2018
Despite many attempts to get management to assist you during busy periods is impossible, you are often left on your own to serve long lines of customers on a regular basis, the pay surely does not reflect the amount of work we have to put in, only the supervisor and colleagues on my level seem to be the only personable and relateable people and feel much the same way I do.
Pros
Perksatwork - discounts off high street and online shops
Cons
Long hours when not helped to clear up
Beautiful place to work, shame about the salaries
Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Erddig11 April 2017
Always lovely to work in such an amazing natural environment
Organisation uses its charity status to underpay staff whilst openly garnering huge money reserves
Strategically stuck between its new brand as a tourism attraction and its core purpose of conservation
Lack of funding diverted to its core purposes raises concerns that it is not fit for purpose.
Pros
Beautiful scenery
Cons
Very low salary, inflexible organisation, highly political environment
Rewarding
Conservation Plan Assistant and Room Guide (Former Employee) –  Seaton Delaval12 May 2018
The National Trust does extremely valuable work in estate management and being able to contribute to this through research of an estate's historic environment was a considerable privilege.This allowed me to develop skills in project management and historic research, with key support provided by Trust staff.
A fun and exciting position
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Enniskillen17 August 2018
Great people serving a great cause. Since working for the trust, i have been obsessed with visiting the properties and meeting the staff which help each property to thrive!
Octavia Hill would be proud!
A great place to work
Community Development Worker (Former Employee) –  Gibside22 September 2015
An ethical organisation with aims and objectives that you can believe in. Everyone works towards the same goals and colleagues are all passionate about their roles which makes it an enjoyable and positive environment. The management structure ensures that you are always supported and new ideas are encouraged and listened to. The benefits are outstanding, the workplace surroundings are stunning and it is a pleasure to come to work rather than a chore.
Pros
Feeling that you are making a contribution to the overall aims of the organisation.
Cons
Working for a charity means that resources are limited.
A great place to work which I have thoroughly enjoyed.
Retail Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Clumber Park25 June 2018
A very friendly and positive work atmosphere. There is a great team spirit with everyone supporting each other if they should need to. Whilst working for the National Trust I have gained many skills including working in a team, operating the till and customer services skills.
Pros
Free Entrance, Discounts
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corfe Castle, ENG15 April 2014
I enjoyed working at the National Trust Shop and would not have considered leaving but restructuring occurred and my position was made redundant. The shop manageress and team of colleagues were the best and I enjoyed their company. The hardest part of the job was not having in stock an item that a customer required and the most enjoyable part was being able to assist customers with their needs when appropriate. I learned about good team work and how being able to rely on this made work easier. I still miss being there but hopefully I can carry forward positive experience to my next employment.
Pros
Benefits include 20% discount on purchases, free entry to National Trust properties for yourself and guest.
Good
Hotel Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Minehead26 July 2018
lovely place to work, was all lovely to be honest. surrondings were very beautiful and the people were always friendly. Had a great time working for them and was a good place to start.
Best Volunteer Position You Could Hope For
Steward (Former Employee) –  Llandegai9 June 2014
Quite honestly working at Penrhyn Castle was the best volunteer job I've ever had. My stay was unfortunately short but I gladly would have stayed for some year if I was able. My typical day at work involved showing guests around the property, sharing my knowledge of the various rooms and playing the piano in the entrance hall.

The most enjoyable part of the job was playing piano for the guests which had several added benefits of holding people in the great hall for longer durations to ease congestion and to help them appreciate the fantastic room before they rush through it.
Pros
Travel expenses covered, fun job
Cons
Can't think of any
sdgh
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taplow, Buckinghamshire24 July 2018
This was an awful place to work where they deliberately hire young people on zero hour contracts and treat them like garbage, don't work here just dont
Fantastic experience for anyone interested in history
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Solihull17 June 2018
I am a history student at university and my time here in sixth form and university was so enjoyable. I was allowed to choose when I volunteered and all the staff made me feel welcome, I would wholeheartedly recommend volunteering at the National Trust to people of all ages.
Intelligent and encouraging work.
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Banchory, Aberdeenshire25 June 2018
I learned how to deal with large groups of tourists, children and answer the questions based in history, customer service and tourism. There was a challenge working for what was effectively a charity, however it was something I took on board.
Beautiful grounds to work at, but unpleasant working environment due to staffing/management issues
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth3 January 2018
The grounds were absolutely beautiful to work at. It was lovely knowing that all the nature was surrounding you whilst you served customers. Customers were generally very polite and grateful for your service. I enjoyed working with the National Trust for the first year until it was taken over by new management. After this, senior staff began arguing with each other more and the workplace became very tense and unpleasant. Teamwork became almost non-existent. I began to believe that the National Trust at Saltram House (Plymouth) was becoming more concerned about money-making than conserving the environment, which led to the damaging of the grounds, particularly in the car parks.
Pros
Experience within a tearoom/coffee shop
Cons
Tension between staff members and understaffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.