National Trust Pay & Benefits reviews

Clicky no structure , no training budget and 0 hour contracts that don’t support staff
Head Chef/Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 November 2018
Could be a very very rewarding job ... but unfortunately it is ran by gp gp gp driven people , who have no respect for there staff and the hard work there staff out in .
If you are a manager it ok as you have your salary,but for the day to day workers it is a very poor environment. And in my eyes as bad as sports direct in treating there staff
Special, great charity to work for.
Membership & Visitor Welcome Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tyne and Wear16 September 2018
Interesting places to work, full of history, great colleagues and volunteers. Actually enjoy coming to work, working for a cause you care about (hopefully!). Lots of different roles at different locations across the country.
Pros
Free membership, discounts on retail and food/drink, benefits, great working envirnoment
Cons
lower pay then some, zero hours or low contracts
More bad than good 😕
Catering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Midlands3 September 2018
Beautiful property and surroundings. Long hours which were both physically and mentally exhausting. Poor organisation. Food and drink provided (when there was a chance to have a break). Management had favourites who got away with doing whatever they wanted (usually as little as possible). Both customer and staff complaints went unaddressed. Seasonal contracts, so no guarantee you'll be employed past November each year.
Pros
Food/drinks provided; good discounts; lovely surroundings
Cons
Management attitude; long hours with little to no breaks
Good if you need worklife balance but not for money
Project Manager/Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  Swindon28 August 2018
It is a very good organisation if you need a strong work-life balance. It is quite a child friendly organisation. However, if you are after high salary, bonuses and strong benefits packages this wouldn't be the right place for you.
Pros
Worklife balance
Cons
Salary and benefits
I found them a reasonable company to work for
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Sussex16 August 2018
It was very busy at times but most of the time we coped well as a team and got on with the job. I worked with a great team and we mostly got on well with each other.
Although I was working every weekend at first that situation was changing and I was starting to get regular weekends off.
The benefits were good, meals provided and discounts in the shop and tearoom as well as free entry for me and my family.
It was hard work and tyring and very busy at times but it could be rewarding when you had compliments from customers and had regular visitors who you could get to know well.
Pros
Lunches provided and discount in shops and tearoom and free membership
Cons
Working most weekends
Simple Work
Car Park Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ascott8 August 2018
Decent salary
Simple work
Flexible hours
Often get breaks to have a rest
Can be boring and tedious after long shifts and can be difficult depending on the weather
Lovely Environment
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh14 April 2018
Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and gave me tons of support during my first few weeks there. I personally found the history very interesting to engage with too. Because the site was already very well-staffed I was often given the chance to take a break in the staff room where there was tea and biscuits.
Pros
friendly staff, low-stress
Cons
Sometimes very little to do when well-staffed and guests are rare
Busy
Catering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wicken, Cambridgeshire8 February 2018
Management is good.
Handle busy days
A lot of hard work.
Hardest part of the job is trying to keep the washing up, up to date
Good Part of the job is lunch time
part time work only
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  West Midlands23 January 2018
seasonal contract .
Good experience for school leavers and holiday work
long hours and hard work for the salary paid .
can lead to better position
Lovely job in lovely location
Gift shop manager (Former Employee) –  Cumbria5 January 2018
Management didn’t approve of a NT Enterprises shop on their park so we’re very unhelpful. I loved stocking the shop and selling products. I like what the NT are all about
Pros
Lovely products and site, good hours
Cons
Low pay, very lonely in winter
Fantastic environment and job satisfaction, poor wage
Visitor Welcome Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knightshayes Court, Tiverton23 November 2017
A really fulfilling and happy place to work, particularly if you love history and/or gardening. Each member of staff and volunteer I have met has been enthusiastic, positive and wonderful to work with. The only downside is the pay: minimum wage or thereabouts in most cases and no commission for signing up new members (I must have missed out on thousands of pounds in that respect). If that were to change I would gladly go back.
Pros
Great working environment, free entry to all Trust properties for you and family, discount on goods.
Cons
Poor pay, no commission for memberships
perfect summer job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dinefwr park3 November 2017
lovely charity to work for with friendly staff and a good ethos. I took this role on as a summer work to have something to help me prepare for university life.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
takes a few months before your first paid, started working in June got paid end of September
Lovely company
Volunteer at Sutton Hoo (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge17 September 2017
I love volunteering at Sutton Hoo. Everyone at the property is extremely nice, the breaks are often (and include free tea and coffee), and the expense money is very good You also get a 20% discount off all food and gifts.
Hard work. Good team. Good local management.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales12 September 2017
Worked as catering assistant in cafe on NT property. Good management at location. Very busy at times: on my feet all day. Good teamwork. Pay (minimum wage) is slow to arrive. The early cutoff date means that payment for a given month arrives near the end of the next month. Benefits such as discount and pension scheme seem to have been forgotten. Zero hours contract but manager appreciative of hard work and very fair. There probably is career progression for those who want it.
Pros
Good team.
Cons
Slow to pay.
Fairly typical of a waitressing job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nunnington, North Yorkshire8 September 2017
I enjoyed my time at Nunnington Hall overall as the people I worked with day to day were nice, the pay was fair and it gets busy so you're always kept on your toes. However, there were some issues in management meaning staff work was made harder.
Pros
Free lunches, good pay for under 25s, not too long hours
Cons
In the middle of nowhere!
Great location and busy work
Tearoom and Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrick a rede rope bridge2 September 2017
At Carrick a rede we worked very hard and was always busy. The staff got on very well and there was always something that needed doing withered it be in the shop on in the cafe.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not many hours available
Awful place to work
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire24 August 2017
If you value your sanity then do not work in the catering department at attingham park. You are treated like scum,you need to be a robot-not a human being! The work 6 months of my work life was working here! The people I worked with were absolutely fantastic,but they have their enthusiasm ripped out by the management. Health and safety is out the window,having to carry packs of 24 Pepsi etc through a busy kitchen into the dining area and up a large flight of stairs to the ridiculous store room! All they care about is hitting targets and cutting workers hours,unless you are salary paid then they expect you to do the jobs of the people they've sent home...often doing 3 peoples jobs at once,and expecting a huge amount of overtime for free!
Pros
Lovely co workers
Cons
Poor management! Over worked and under paid
Good work experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Farnborough Hall5 August 2017
Good work experience in friendly atmosphere. Flexible working hours to suit my needs. Hopefully I will learn to use more equipment as my volunteering continues.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Volunteer only
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pollokshaws25 July 2017
Staff are great to work with
Hours are good
Would be better with more staff at peak times
Flexible with shifts
Lovely house to work within and well kept
Behind the times
Manager (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom24 July 2017
As the main focus has been on conservation, they are behind in commercial business and systems are old. This can be frustrating at times due to issues that occur and the process to fix things can take longer than average. Management structure is poor and most of the time you are expected to work long hours with minimal support. Salary does not reflect your hard work and efforts.
If you are looking for a job that has a purpose then it is great, but along with this comes other issues.
Pros
free entry to NT places
Cons
salary, hours, lack of support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.