National Trust Pay & Benefits reviews

Lovely job in lovely location
Gift shop manager (Former Employee) –  Cumbria5 January 2018
Management didn’t approve of a NT Enterprises shop on their park so we’re very unhelpful. I loved stocking the shop and selling products. I like what the NT are all about
Pros
Lovely products and site, good hours
Cons
Low pay, very lonely in winter
Fantastic environment and job satisfaction, poor wage
Visitor Welcome Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knightshayes Court, Tiverton23 November 2017
A really fulfilling and happy place to work, particularly if you love history and/or gardening. Each member of staff and volunteer I have met has been enthusiastic, positive and wonderful to work with. The only downside is the pay: minimum wage or thereabouts in most cases and no commission for signing up new members (I must have missed out on thousands of pounds in that respect). If that were to change I would gladly go back.
Pros
Great working environment, free entry to all Trust properties for you and family, discount on goods.
Cons
Poor pay, no commission for memberships
Lovely company
Volunteer at Sutton Hoo (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge17 September 2017
I love volunteering at Sutton Hoo. Everyone at the property is extremely nice, the breaks are often (and include free tea and coffee), and the expense money is very good You also get a 20% discount off all food and gifts.
Hard work. Good team. Good local management.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales12 September 2017
Worked as catering assistant in cafe on NT property. Good management at location. Very busy at times: on my feet all day. Good teamwork. Pay (minimum wage) is slow to arrive. The early cutoff date means that payment for a given month arrives near the end of the next month. Benefits such as discount and pension scheme seem to have been forgotten. Zero hours contract but manager appreciative of hard work and very fair. There probably is career progression for those who want it.
Pros
Good team.
Cons
Slow to pay.
Fairly typical of a waitressing job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nunnington, North Yorkshire8 September 2017
I enjoyed my time at Nunnington Hall overall as the people I worked with day to day were nice, the pay was fair and it gets busy so you're always kept on your toes. However, there were some issues in management meaning staff work was made harder.
Pros
Free lunches, good pay for under 25s, not too long hours
Cons
In the middle of nowhere!
Great location and busy work
Tearoom and Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrick a rede rope bridge2 September 2017
At Carrick a rede we worked very hard and was always busy. The staff got on very well and there was always something that needed doing withered it be in the shop on in the cafe.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not many hours available
Awful place to work
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire24 August 2017
If you value your sanity then do not work in the catering department at attingham park. You are treated like scum,you need to be a robot-not a human being! The work 6 months of my work life was working here! The people I worked with were absolutely fantastic,but they have their enthusiasm ripped out by the management. Health and safety is out the window,having to carry packs of 24 Pepsi etc through a busy kitchen into the dining area and up a large flight of stairs to the ridiculous store room! All they care about is hitting targets and cutting workers hours,unless you are salary paid then they expect you to do the jobs of the people they've sent home...often doing 3 peoples jobs at once,and expecting a huge amount of overtime for free!
Pros
Lovely co workers
Cons
Poor management! Over worked and under paid
Good work experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Farnborough Hall5 August 2017
Good work experience in friendly atmosphere. Flexible working hours to suit my needs. Hopefully I will learn to use more equipment as my volunteering continues.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Volunteer only
Behind the times
Manager (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom24 July 2017
As the main focus has been on conservation, they are behind in commercial business and systems are old. This can be frustrating at times due to issues that occur and the process to fix things can take longer than average. Management structure is poor and most of the time you are expected to work long hours with minimal support. Salary does not reflect your hard work and efforts.
If you are looking for a job that has a purpose then it is great, but along with this comes other issues.
Pros
free entry to NT places
Cons
salary, hours, lack of support
productive and fun work place
Catering Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 June 2017
I worked at dunham massey, a national trust park for four years and i thoroughly enjoye working there, the work was enjoyable and everyone is treated equaly.
Pros
free lunches
productive family feel work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brownsea Island22 May 2017
very enjoyable place to work. everyone is very kind and supportive of each other and always there to help. as it was voluntary work there was no pay. the hours were not long and if you couldn't complete a task in the amount of time you had there was no pressure to stay on and finish it there and then.
Pros
kind employes
Cons
there wasnt any
Started off as great place to work until change at senior management level
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Killerton18 May 2017
Long hours for no extra pay
Interesting work
Senior management horrendous
Lots of back stabbing
Enjoyed meeting people

When first started working for nt, it was fun and enjoyable with job satisfaction. Then senior management changed and so did the culture of the property and not for the better.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Long hours. Low pay. Bad management
lovely people lovely place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London30 April 2017
at the national trust you feel included, it's a great place to work to educate yourself about the world around you,however pay is low so don't expect great pay, good discount
national trust
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anglesey24 April 2017
Part time job.
OK pay.
Lots of hours.
Can be very busy.
Great job if you study.
No benefits.
Sometimes have to work long hours.
Nice people, good managers
Beautiful place to work, shame about the salaries
Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Erddig11 April 2017
Always lovely to work in such an amazing natural environment
Organisation uses its charity status to underpay staff whilst openly garnering huge money reserves
Strategically stuck between its new brand as a tourism attraction and its core purpose of conservation
Lack of funding diverted to its core purposes raises concerns that it is not fit for purpose.
Pros
Beautiful scenery
Cons
Very low salary, inflexible organisation, highly political environment
Easy!!
Waiter/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Brean Sands, Somerset17 December 2016
The job was easy. It was a good job to keep my bank balance alive through my A levels. Really enjoyed the people and customers and the job was very flexible.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Boring at times
run workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Keighley6 November 2016
A nice atmosphere with good people to help you learn the ropes . Nice benefits but could be better. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and hope i may have a chance to have a good job there
Really good place to work
Kitchen Assistant/Catering (Current Employee) –  Worcester27 July 2016
I been working here for 3 years nearly and i started on pot wash then moved onto kitchen assistant now im cooking when the chef isn't in but managers are rubbish they treat you like rubbish!

The cookbook is easy to use as well

Well good place to work looks good on CV as well
Pros
Free lunch, free entry to all national trust places including car parks, history loads
Cons
Long hours, money is rubbish for what u have to do, managment
Great atmosphere to work.
Assistant Ranger (Former Employee) –  Stockport11 July 2016
Loved it. The mixture of customer service and outdoor work was a nice feeling to see my accomplishments and then for visitors to compliment and appreciate them. I worked earlier most times in the morning and slightly later in the evening simply because I enjoyed my job and am more than willing to help others out if needed. I picked up a multiple of new skills when working along side the rangers and they made me feel part of the team for the duration I worked there. Every single person there, rangers and volunteers, aided me in every way they could and made me feel welcomed. The hardest part of what i did, had to be when I had to work in the pouring rain building structures, as well as the 9 mile ride i had to endure in the morning and then the 9 mile ride back home, however that did not bother me too much as I enjoyed every opportunity they threw at me. There were many enjoyable moments whilst I worked there, but i have to say the most enjoyable parts were when I worked alongside both the rangers and volunteers, simply because the laughs we had, but the work still got done. I enjoyed building a raised footpath for the younger visitors to use as is was very rewarding seeing all of the children run up and down it,and the parents complimenting us saying what a wonderful job we were doing. I enjoyed it there so much I am currently in the process of signing up for volunteering for Lyme Park.
Pros
Satisfaction of knowing I made a change.
Cons
18 mile round trip on a push bike.
Stressful and awful
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worksop20 June 2016
Awful place to work at Worksop clumber park
Management not helpful pay shocking expected to work a lot of unsociable hours
Complete chaos no organisation no training given
Long hours lucky to get a break
They don't pay staff correctly or on time each month
Best part of job was handing my notice in
They cannot keep staff
Never worked for someone with so little regard for there staff
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Unsociable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.