National Trust Employee Reviews for Volunteer

Looking after people and places
Countryfile Live Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Blenheim Park30 October 2018
The National Trust looks after lots of special places and is accessible to everybody. As an organisation it has a culture that invests in its staff and gives you the opportunity to grow and develop.
Productive and freindly
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Woodlands11 October 2018
Volunteer days.
Help with clearing hedges and invasive species.
Dealing with the general public and assisting educational talks.
Very friendly staff and other volunteers. Can get really involved with all the projects.
A great place to work which I have thoroughly enjoyed.
Retail Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Clumber Park25 June 2018
A very friendly and positive work atmosphere. There is a great team spirit with everyone supporting each other if they should need to. Whilst working for the National Trust I have gained many skills including working in a team, operating the till and customer services skills.
Pros
Free Entrance, Discounts
Cons
Fantastic experience for anyone interested in history
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Solihull17 June 2018
I am a history student at university and my time here in sixth form and university was so enjoyable. I was allowed to choose when I volunteered and all the staff made me feel welcome, I would wholeheartedly recommend volunteering at the National Trust to people of all ages.
Voluntary Ranger
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Wimborne11 May 2018
Voluntary position with the Estate Ranger/Warden team.
Varied tasks assigned on a weekly basis to assist the wardens manage the wider estate.
Excellent team.
Pros
Flexible and fun
Cons
Voluntary
very fun to work with
Volunteering - Land based work (Former Employee) –  Cornwall15 April 2018
i enjoyed working with some of the workers from the national trust in many tasks from putting up signposts in my village to levelling walkways on uneven terrain. they are very thorough about their work and the level of security (prevents accidents) they give you while working.
Pros
easy to understand inexperienced tasks
Cons
voluntary
Rewarding and Productive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woolsthorpe1 February 2018
Helped out with a lot of installations and kept busy majority of the time. location was cold and poorly lit due to the age of the house and no functional heaters were in place. offered an opportunity to give back to the community and make the experience more enjoyable
Pros
chance to further my skills with working with a project
Cons
Cold conditions
Lovely company
Volunteer at Sutton Hoo (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge17 September 2017
I love volunteering at Sutton Hoo. Everyone at the property is extremely nice, the breaks are often (and include free tea and coffee), and the expense money is very good You also get a 20% discount off all food and gifts.
Fun
Full Time Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bangor31 August 2017
friendly atmosphere, great company to work for, opportunity for further training, good colleague rewards. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending working there to friends or family.
Exciting and fun family orientated work environment.
Osterely Park Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Osterley, Greater London20 August 2017
I learnt to interact with young children as I worked on a Halloween based event that was setup in the grounds of Osterley for the benefit of families. Some of the Halloween based activities required physical strength for example setting up marquees.
Pros
Enjoyable work.
Cons
Physically demanding.
Good work experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Farnborough Hall5 August 2017
Good work experience in friendly atmosphere. Flexible working hours to suit my needs. Hopefully I will learn to use more equipment as my volunteering continues.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Volunteer only
I literally only just started
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Southwell, Nottinghamshire22 July 2017
I started at the Trust last week as a volunteer, so I'm not sure I'm really the right person to review this. So far however it's been very pleasant - everyone I've met's been nice, and the work itself is fulfilling.
Pros
Tea and Biscuits, getting to share passion for history
Cons
Sometimes disorganised
productive family feel work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brownsea Island22 May 2017
very enjoyable place to work. everyone is very kind and supportive of each other and always there to help. as it was voluntary work there was no pay. the hours were not long and if you couldn't complete a task in the amount of time you had there was no pressure to stay on and finish it there and then.
Pros
kind employes
Cons
there wasnt any
Friendly and Productive Workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lyme Park11 March 2017
Both management and the volunteers at National Trust made it a fabulous place to work, all trusting and understanding, we all worked as a team assisting each other. Through this placement I was able to realise that communicating with others to inform is a highly rewarding whilst also learning the skills of who wishes to be approached.
Pros
Work Community
previous volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield6 March 2017
I volunteered for this trust for five years, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone, As a volunteer you always felt supported and kept in the loop as to what was going on in the trust, never made to feel any less than a staff member
Pros
good atmosphere to work in and staff discounts
Cons
wish i could've stayed
Unpaid volunteer position, good company, great job satisfaction
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 March 2017
This was part time volunteer position.
The job entailed Leeds/Liverpool canal habitat maintenance and management together with fellow volunteers.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Unpaid
run workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Keighley6 November 2016
A nice atmosphere with good people to help you learn the ropes . Nice benefits but could be better. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and hope i may have a chance to have a good job there
Brilliant Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kent3 August 2016
Lovely organisation to be a part of, fantastic team ethos and ability to get involved practically in conservation and estate management in a variety of ways. Brilliant opportunity to try something new and give something back
Something new everyday
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Hackney27 May 2016
There are so many different and interesting jobs to do with the National Trust, from helping families with special holiday activities to helping with the preservation of displayed furniture. No two days are ever the same, which is what makes working here so worthwhile.
A very positive, supportive and friendly workplace.
National Trust Volunteer (Current Employee) –  ENG19 October 2015
National Trust staff briefing to begin each day
Then each volunteer is tasked to guide and welcome visitors to Montacute House.

My co-workers are retired lawyers, doctors, military officers, businessmen and women.

Visitor and staff contact, answering questions, customer service, public safety.

The most enjoyable part of the job is contact with staff, volunteers and visitors to the National Trust Property at Montacute House.

Another aspect of Volunteering for National Trust I hope to develop is a 'talking heads' role lecturing to visitor groups about chosen National Portrait Gallery Tudor and Jacobean Portraits on display at Montacute House. I have been invited, along with others, to undertake this role next season, following peer review and training by staff from the National Portrait Gallery, London
Pros
Invaluable life and professional experience
Cons
Restricted to the summer season (April to October)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

National Trust Reviews by Location