National Trust Employee Reviews for Volunteer

very fun to work with
Volunteering - Land based work (Former Employee) –  Cornwall15 April 2018
i enjoyed working with some of the workers from the national trust in many tasks from putting up signposts in my village to levelling walkways on uneven terrain. they are very thorough about their work and the level of security (prevents accidents) they give you while working.
Pros
easy to understand inexperienced tasks
Cons
voluntary
Rewarding and Productive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woolsthorpe1 February 2018
Helped out with a lot of installations and kept busy majority of the time. location was cold and poorly lit due to the age of the house and no functional heaters were in place. offered an opportunity to give back to the community and make the experience more enjoyable
Pros
chance to further my skills with working with a project
Cons
Cold conditions
Lovely company
Volunteer at Sutton Hoo (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge17 September 2017
I love volunteering at Sutton Hoo. Everyone at the property is extremely nice, the breaks are often (and include free tea and coffee), and the expense money is very good You also get a 20% discount off all food and gifts.
Fun
Full Time Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bangor31 August 2017
friendly atmosphere, great company to work for, opportunity for further training, good colleague rewards. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending working there to friends or family.
Exciting and fun family orientated work environment.
Osterely Park Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Osterley, Greater London20 August 2017
I learnt to interact with young children as I worked on a Halloween based event that was setup in the grounds of Osterley for the benefit of families. Some of the Halloween based activities required physical strength for example setting up marquees.
Pros
Enjoyable work.
Cons
Physically demanding.
Good work experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Farnborough Hall5 August 2017
Good work experience in friendly atmosphere. Flexible working hours to suit my needs. Hopefully I will learn to use more equipment as my volunteering continues.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Volunteer only
I literally only just started
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Southwell, Nottinghamshire22 July 2017
I started at the Trust last week as a volunteer, so I'm not sure I'm really the right person to review this. So far however it's been very pleasant - everyone I've met's been nice, and the work itself is fulfilling.
Pros
Tea and Biscuits, getting to share passion for history
Cons
Sometimes disorganised
productive family feel work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brownsea Island22 May 2017
very enjoyable place to work. everyone is very kind and supportive of each other and always there to help. as it was voluntary work there was no pay. the hours were not long and if you couldn't complete a task in the amount of time you had there was no pressure to stay on and finish it there and then.
Pros
kind employes
Cons
there wasnt any
Friendly and Productive Workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lyme Park11 March 2017
Both management and the volunteers at National Trust made it a fabulous place to work, all trusting and understanding, we all worked as a team assisting each other. Through this placement I was able to realise that communicating with others to inform is a highly rewarding whilst also learning the skills of who wishes to be approached.
Pros
Work Community
previous volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield6 March 2017
I volunteered for this trust for five years, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone, As a volunteer you always felt supported and kept in the loop as to what was going on in the trust, never made to feel any less than a staff member
Pros
good atmosphere to work in and staff discounts
Cons
wish i could've stayed
Unpaid volunteer position, good company, great job satisfaction
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 March 2017
This was part time volunteer position.
The job entailed Leeds/Liverpool canal habitat maintenance and management together with fellow volunteers.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Unpaid
run workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Keighley6 November 2016
A nice atmosphere with good people to help you learn the ropes . Nice benefits but could be better. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and hope i may have a chance to have a good job there
Something new everyday
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Hackney27 May 2016
There are so many different and interesting jobs to do with the National Trust, from helping families with special holiday activities to helping with the preservation of displayed furniture. No two days are ever the same, which is what makes working here so worthwhile.
Volunteering for a good cause
Volunteer Room Guide (Current Employee) –  ENG29 July 2015
Volunteering somewhere like the National Trust is rewarding in many different ways: you get to meet lots of different types of people and sharing local history is always rewarding. It is also nice to know that you are preserving a portion of English culture.
Knowledgeable workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool23 July 2015
I loved the experience working in Speke Hall with all extremely knowledgeable volunteers who made me feel welcome and taught me so much. During Summer Holidays, I received the chance to be a room guide and got the chance to work in a variety of rooms in the house all with different stories. I enjoy talking and engaging with the public, of all ages and abilities.
Being the public face of a popular tourist attraction
Volunteer, National Trust (Current Employee) –  Petworth House, West Sussex20 October 2014
The best thing about being a volunteer at Petworth House is the chance to meet and interact with the visitors and to share knowledge with them in a friendly manner. I love answering their questions and sharing information with them. On a typical day, I can be giving a series of introductory talks in the morning each lasting about 15 minutes bringing the people who occupied the house over the centuries to life, and spending the afternoon as a steward in any one of the state rooms or kitchens. As a founding member of the Costumed Interpreation Team, I can be bringing to life the role of the House Steward or the Chef, explaining their lives to visitors of all ages. Being a house of art as well as a historic home, I have found out a huge amount about paintings and sculpture that I missed in education. Through good management, I have been able to make the most of my inter-personal skills, and encouraged to participate in the Volunteer Steering Group, representing the views of my co-workers and working with staff at a strategic level. Like many organisations, the National Trust simply could not function without us as effectively. Hardest part of the job? Keeping warm in the winter months undoubtedly!
Pros
Interesting co-workesr from all walks of life; 20% discount on all NT products
Cons
The pay!
Interesting place to work interacting with members of the public.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kent27 August 2014
Utilising Customer Service, Office Administration and IT qualifications whilst learning a lot about the Arts & Crafts Movement and the Pre-Raphaelites.
Pros
Giving something back to the local community
Cons
None so far!
Great and Varied work.
Volunteering for National Trust at Chartwell (Current Employee) –  Westerham, Kent.27 July 2014
I love doing volunteering at Chartwell, as every week is different, every job is very challenging and most of all its outdoors. The views are great and the people you end up working with, really are amazing people.
Pros
Breaks when needed.
Cons
None.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sandscale Haws5 January 2014
- Cleaning kitchen and utensils
- Preparing food
- Stocktaking & Ordering
- Delivery collections
- Assisting chef with food service
- Assisting front of house staff
- Housekeeping
Very fun and knowledgeable staff to work with. It is a dream career for me.
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, SCT28 December 2013
Calendar House in Falkirk is steeped in History and to be able to be a part of that for a short while as a volunteer was inspirational. I helped catalogue and digitalize historical documents. I advised the public on tracing family ancestry and assisted the staff with cleaning, and caring for historical documents.

The management were extremely helpful and encouraged my desire to work within the heritage and culture industry.
Pros
Fantastic work environment and staff, a dream career and hands-on experience.
Cons
It was unfortunate that I could not work here full-time as a member of staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

National Trust Reviews by Location