National Trust Employee Reviews for Catering Assistant

Do not recommend
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire22 October 2018
Management appalling- never saw supervisor during the day, when I did see them I would be told to work harder, whilst there were girls stood around doing nothing. Very high staff turnover. Rude customers, we were expected to give free hot water to customers who bought their own tea bags. Got shouted at for taking time off that I had given plenty of notice for.
However, very well paid for my age & experience and free food (cake, hot drinks, lunch etc).
Avoid this place :)
Pros
Lots of free food, good pay, scenery
Cons
rude customers, bad management, high staff turnover
Great people, horrible management
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol20 September 2018
Work as a Catering Assistant is long hours on your feet. No appreciation of your hard work. Customers can be lovely but many are rude demanding and condescending. The usual mix of team members, some lovely and you make life long friends, The management on the other hand just a full scale mess. The management are young adult, so its young adult in charge of young of adult which = 100% shambles. Are there favourites member of staff,of course there are. Should the management team who was full adult actually do their jobs, yes. The clean in the evening is completed by staff who have been on their feet all day and are desperate to leave and get home. Hence no attention to detail. Pay is minimum wage and the management at Tyntesfield house liked to hide our slips in the office for some strange reason! Then there is the 0 hour contract that the management dont understand the definition of which is
'A zero-hour contract is a type of contract between an employer and a worker, where the employer is not obliged to provide any minimum working hours, while the worker is not obliged to accept any work offered.' Not giving us the shifts and us having to do it or the threat of being kicked out of the job is hang over our head. Whatever they are still doing or were doing at Tyntesfied isn't an 0 hour contract. That's complete difference thing when the person working chooses when he/she is going to work not the management team.

But on the lighter note the food was great, and all locally sourced and if remember right lots where free-ranged and organic! But cutting down on the waste would
  more... be great as that's very bad for the environment and homeless shelters would be very thankful for all the food.  less
Pros
Free lunches, Good people, lovely location ( not to get too if not driving)
Cons
Long hours, management, 0 hour contract
Average
Catering Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Devon18 August 2018
Personally found the experience okay. Some customers are extremely kind, positive and polite which makes your day however some can be rude and/or grumpy affecting job satisfaction. Furthermore, if you are directly dealing with customers you will face the brunt of the criticism from them even when the situation is not your fault and you can't do anything about it. However this situation occurs with the majority of jobs involving serving customers.
Pros
Manager gave us free coffee.
Cons
Rush can leave you stressed.
Hard Work. No Appreciation. Critical. Disorganised. Chaotic and Bad Management
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter12 May 2018
Work as a Catering Assistant is long hours on your feet. No breaks. No appreciation of your hard work. Customers can be lovely but many are rude demanding and condescending. The usual mix of team members, some lovely and you make life long friends, some are back stabbing and have other agendas. Lots of cleaning, emptying rubbish bins, washing up and lifting heavy stock. Tips are stingy. Equipment very old and tatty, huge shortage or crockery and cutlery. Stock is also very hit and miss and products often run out despite being aware of busy times and events. The planning of stock and staff is very inadequate and poorly managed during busy times. Catering outlets are tatty and dirty in desperate need of refurbishment. The clean in the evening is completed by staff who have been on their feet all day and are desperate to leave and get home. Hence no attention to detail. Pay is minimum wage and can be very difficult to understand because payslips are not clear. Very short staffed on occasions, management expectations are high.
Pros
Free Tea and Coffee. Staff Discount in the Shop. Admission Free
Cons
Hard Graft. Poor Pay, Stressful, Under Valued, Short Staffed.
Good temporary work
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bushmills13 April 2018
Perfect temporary work for students during summer seasons.
Generally flexible in regards to working rotas around studies.
Good experience working within a busy location
Amazing place to work with amazing staff but bad management
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester4 March 2018
I absolutely love working here for the people i work with and the customers, we have the best teams ever and is such a unique place to work but management let it down. There’s really no way to progress past supervisor and everything is broken. What i will say is you will work your butt off day in day out and get nothing in return not even a well done or a thanks, instead you are repayed with cancelled shifts and no tips. I have made lifelong friends here and have had so much fun working here, but after a few years theres only so much you can take. Fantastic job for people at uni as you can come and go as you please and great for young people too but very hard if you want solid income to live off losing out on shifts and not being payed much.
Pros
Lunch is included, amazing team, fun workplace, lots of social events.
Cons
Badly run, pay, no tips, no progression.
Catering Assistant/Barista (Former Employee) –  Cardiff2 February 2018
Working at Dyffryn Gardens was a a great job due to the surrounding envrioment you were able to work in. The people and the customers always made your days enjoyable
Pros
Free Entry into the trust
Cons
Shift cancellations
Badly managed , bullying environment , no team work
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stowe14 January 2018
Whilst working in the catering department it is your fellow colleuges that make the work place . However if you want to work in a department that means the catering managers do less work then lower staff then this is the place for you .

The time within the catering department has been one of the most stressful experiences ever, management leave you to your own devises and Palm whatever work they can to people below them.

Team work just does not occur and employees can be
Singled out . Not a very nice working environment.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Toxic working environment, bad management who do less work
No help when asked
Catering and Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire11 January 2018
Despite many attempts to get management to assist you during busy periods is impossible, you are often left on your own to serve long lines of customers on a regular basis, the pay surely does not reflect the amount of work we have to put in, only the supervisor and colleagues on my level seem to be the only personable and relateable people and feel much the same way I do.
Pros
Perksatwork - discounts off high street and online shops
Cons
Long hours when not helped to clear up
Beautiful grounds to work at, but unpleasant working environment due to staffing/management issues
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth3 January 2018
The grounds were absolutely beautiful to work at. It was lovely knowing that all the nature was surrounding you whilst you served customers. Customers were generally very polite and grateful for your service. I enjoyed working with the National Trust for the first year until it was taken over by new management. After this, senior staff began arguing with each other more and the workplace became very tense and unpleasant. Teamwork became almost non-existent. I began to believe that the National Trust at Saltram House (Plymouth) was becoming more concerned about money-making than conserving the environment, which led to the damaging of the grounds, particularly in the car parks.
Pros
Experience within a tearoom/coffee shop
Cons
Tension between staff members and understaffed
perfect summer job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dinefwr park3 November 2017
lovely charity to work for with friendly staff and a good ethos. I took this role on as a summer work to have something to help me prepare for university life.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
takes a few months before your first paid, started working in June got paid end of September
Happy Environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torbay, Devon30 October 2017
Cheery customers and staff, beautiful setting and free membership!!! Fair wages for everyone, including young people. 0 hour contract is not ideal but usually a fair amount of shifts available. Overall a pleasant environment
Good Workplace
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hexham, Northumberland16 September 2017
Generally a good place to work. At Wallington Hall my colleagues were welcoming, helpful, and friendly. The management staff were also great to work with. However, as most of the non-senior members of staff were high school or college age, the staff changes frequently, as was the case with myself. This however means that there is ample opportunity here for young people looking for part-time work whilst they are studying.
Hard work. Good team. Good local management.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales12 September 2017
Worked as catering assistant in cafe on NT property. Good management at location. Very busy at times: on my feet all day. Good teamwork. Pay (minimum wage) is slow to arrive. The early cutoff date means that payment for a given month arrives near the end of the next month. Benefits such as discount and pension scheme seem to have been forgotten. Zero hours contract but manager appreciative of hard work and very fair. There probably is career progression for those who want it.
Pros
Good team.
Cons
Slow to pay.
Fairly typical of a waitressing job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nunnington, North Yorkshire8 September 2017
I enjoyed my time at Nunnington Hall overall as the people I worked with day to day were nice, the pay was fair and it gets busy so you're always kept on your toes. However, there were some issues in management meaning staff work was made harder.
Pros
Free lunches, good pay for under 25s, not too long hours
Cons
In the middle of nowhere!
Working in a productive team
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banchory, Aberdeenshire7 September 2017
A typical day at work consisted of set up everything out front so that it looked appealing to the customers and preparing everything in the kitchen so that we could work as efficiently as possible throughout the day. I leaned how to deal with vast quantities of customers in the most efficient manner possible whilst still providing a great level of service.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Disrespectful customers
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chirk, Wrexham7 August 2017
The team is great and we all get along and fit well with one another. We have an understanding Manager who is there to listen. At day at work there is full of fun and work. The both mixed together makes for a great day at work. We can all have a laugh as well as getting work done.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pollokshaws25 July 2017
Staff are great to work with
Hours are good
Would be better with more staff at peak times
Flexible with shifts
Lovely house to work within and well kept
Fun and interesting colleagues
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester5 July 2017
Lots of variation in jobs day to day. Friendly management and colleagues. Easy enough but trained on various jobs. Flexible shifts. Bit out of the way and difficult to get there without a car but there is a bus stop right outside
productive and fun work place
Catering Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 June 2017
I worked at dunham massey, a national trust park for four years and i thoroughly enjoye working there, the work was enjoyable and everyone is treated equaly.
Pros
free lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

National Trust Reviews by Location