National Trust Employee Reviews for Catering Assistant

Badly managed , bullying environment , no team work
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stowe14 January 2018
Whilst working in the catering department it is your fellow colleuges that make the work place . However if you want to work in a department that means the catering managers do less work then lower staff then this is the place for you .

The time within the catering department has been one of the most stressful experiences ever, management leave you to your own devises and Palm whatever work they can to people below them.

Team work just does not occur and employees can be
Singled out . Not a very nice working environment.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Toxic working environment, bad management who do less work
No help when asked
Catering and Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire11 January 2018
Despite many attempts to get management to assist you during busy periods is impossible, you are often left on your own to serve long lines of customers on a regular basis, the pay surely does not reflect the amount of work we have to put in, only the supervisor and colleagues on my level seem to be the only personable and relateable people and feel much the same way I do.
Pros
Perksatwork - discounts off high street and online shops
Cons
Long hours when not helped to clear up
Beautiful grounds to work at, but unpleasant working environment due to staffing/management issues
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth3 January 2018
The grounds were absolutely beautiful to work at. It was lovely knowing that all the nature was surrounding you whilst you served customers. Customers were generally very polite and grateful for your service. I enjoyed working with the National Trust for the first year until it was taken over by new management. After this, senior staff began arguing with each other more and the workplace became very tense and unpleasant. Teamwork became almost non-existent. I began to believe that the National Trust at Saltram House (Plymouth) was becoming more concerned about money-making than conserving the environment, which led to the damaging of the grounds, particularly in the car parks.
Pros
Experience within a tearoom/coffee shop
Cons
Tension between staff members and understaffed
perfect summer job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dinefwr park3 November 2017
lovely charity to work for with friendly staff and a good ethos. I took this role on as a summer work to have something to help me prepare for university life.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
takes a few months before your first paid, started working in June got paid end of September
Happy Environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torbay, Devon30 October 2017
Cheery customers and staff, beautiful setting and free membership!!! Fair wages for everyone, including young people. 0 hour contract is not ideal but usually a fair amount of shifts available. Overall a pleasant environment
Good Workplace
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hexham, Northumberland16 September 2017
Generally a good place to work. At Wallington Hall my colleagues were welcoming, helpful, and friendly. The management staff were also great to work with. However, as most of the non-senior members of staff were high school or college age, the staff changes frequently, as was the case with myself. This however means that there is ample opportunity here for young people looking for part-time work whilst they are studying.
Hard work. Good team. Good local management.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wales12 September 2017
Worked as catering assistant in cafe on NT property. Good management at location. Very busy at times: on my feet all day. Good teamwork. Pay (minimum wage) is slow to arrive. The early cutoff date means that payment for a given month arrives near the end of the next month. Benefits such as discount and pension scheme seem to have been forgotten. Zero hours contract but manager appreciative of hard work and very fair. There probably is career progression for those who want it.
Pros
Good team.
Cons
Slow to pay.
Fairly typical of a waitressing job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nunnington, North Yorkshire8 September 2017
I enjoyed my time at Nunnington Hall overall as the people I worked with day to day were nice, the pay was fair and it gets busy so you're always kept on your toes. However, there were some issues in management meaning staff work was made harder.
Pros
Free lunches, good pay for under 25s, not too long hours
Cons
In the middle of nowhere!
Working in a productive team
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banchory, Aberdeenshire7 September 2017
A typical day at work consisted of set up everything out front so that it looked appealing to the customers and preparing everything in the kitchen so that we could work as efficiently as possible throughout the day. I leaned how to deal with vast quantities of customers in the most efficient manner possible whilst still providing a great level of service.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Disrespectful customers
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chirk, Wrexham7 August 2017
The team is great and we all get along and fit well with one another. We have an understanding Manager who is there to listen. At day at work there is full of fun and work. The both mixed together makes for a great day at work. We can all have a laugh as well as getting work done.
Fun and interesting colleagues
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester5 July 2017
Lots of variation in jobs day to day. Friendly management and colleagues. Easy enough but trained on various jobs. Flexible shifts. Bit out of the way and difficult to get there without a car but there is a bus stop right outside
productive and fun work place
Catering Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 June 2017
I worked at dunham massey, a national trust park for four years and i thoroughly enjoye working there, the work was enjoyable and everyone is treated equaly.
Pros
free lunches
the trust dont care about catering
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent26 June 2017
job involves clearing tables, doing dishwasher. making sandwhiches, making coffee,serving cakes and food.
all national trust sites are diffrent. but all catering is expected to boost membership alongside the welcome assistants.
Pros
20% discount. free coffee
Cons
no progression, rubbish pay
national trust
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anglesey24 April 2017
Part time job.
OK pay.
Lots of hours.
Can be very busy.
Great job if you study.
No benefits.
Sometimes have to work long hours.
Nice people, good managers
Great Part Time Job between Studying
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury Hall, Derbyshire12 April 2017
Zero hour contract position which revolved around serving customers in the tea room. Time pressure would increase around lunch time when hot food was served. Great job at the time, working alongside like-minded students.
Fun & Encouraging Environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montacute, Somerset9 January 2017
Despite some stressful days, the moral of the whole team boosts the atmosphere. Lovely people who worked together as a team to achieve the highest possible service. I learnt so many new skills on a day to day basis and felt important and vital in the process.
Pros
Free lunches, 20% off in shop
Cons
Stressful environment, long hours in winter
Busy but fun
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morden6 November 2016
I worked with National Trust almost six years. Its a really busy but fun place to work at. Also the pay is really really good. I used to get £8.50 but i think its more now.
Enjoy working there, everyone is friendly
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bodmin24 September 2016
A typical day at work, is fun and you get to meet new people. I have learned so much more people skills which I put to use within work and in my social life.
Pros
Friendly
Fun and encouraging
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bookham4 September 2016
Feel valued and respected
Working as part of a larger team
Many roles and training available
Different every day
Polite customers
Pros
Free lunches and responsibilities with time
Cons
Short rota notice
Stressful and awful
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worksop20 June 2016
Awful place to work at Worksop clumber park
Management not helpful pay shocking expected to work a lot of unsociable hours
Complete chaos no organisation no training given
Long hours lucky to get a break
They don't pay staff correctly or on time each month
Best part of job was handing my notice in
They cannot keep staff
Never worked for someone with so little regard for there staff
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Unsociable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

National Trust Reviews by Location