National Trust Employee Reviews

soul destroying
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  south west14 August 2018
Unrealistic targets set against a culture of incompetence and zero work life balance.
Decentralised format means that managers can run their own personal fiefdoms in any way they see fit. Which is fine. As long as your face fits. In effect, if you're a white, middle class graduate and want a nodding dog career path then this is for you. if on the other hand you want to see the many millions of pounds given to the organisation every year, spent wisely and in the right places, then go elsewhere.
Pros
membership and discounts
Cons
ridiculous workload, poor mangement
Simple Work
Car Park Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ascott8 August 2018
Decent salary
Simple work
Flexible hours
Often get breaks to have a rest
Can be boring and tedious after long shifts and can be difficult depending on the weather
Good
Hotel Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Minehead26 July 2018
lovely place to work, was all lovely to be honest. surrondings were very beautiful and the people were always friendly. Had a great time working for them and was a good place to start.
sdgh
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taplow, Buckinghamshire24 July 2018
This was an awful place to work where they deliberately hire young people on zero hour contracts and treat them like garbage, don't work here just dont
Overall Fun and Positive
Business Support Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  Swindon10 July 2018
Generally a fun and positive environment, autonomy I respected. Unfortunately, Leadership and Management structure varies and layers of Management cloud communication. Opportunities for progression for people with the right experience but progression not really encouraged.
Pros
Nice office, membership
Cons
Leadership
Friendly place to work
Buisness support (Current Employee) –  North Yorkshire29 June 2018
It is a friendly place to work. Unfortunately not enough salaried contracts. All the management i have meet are very helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people.
Pros
Beautiful places to work
Cons
I need more hours
A great place to work which I have thoroughly enjoyed.
Retail Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Clumber Park25 June 2018
A very friendly and positive work atmosphere. There is a great team spirit with everyone supporting each other if they should need to. Whilst working for the National Trust I have gained many skills including working in a team, operating the till and customer services skills.
Pros
Free Entrance, Discounts
Cons
Intelligent and encouraging work.
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Banchory, Aberdeenshire25 June 2018
I learned how to deal with large groups of tourists, children and answer the questions based in history, customer service and tourism. There was a challenge working for what was effectively a charity, however it was something I took on board.
Fantastic experience for anyone interested in history
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Solihull17 June 2018
I am a history student at university and my time here in sixth form and university was so enjoyable. I was allowed to choose when I volunteered and all the staff made me feel welcome, I would wholeheartedly recommend volunteering at the National Trust to people of all ages.
Great Workplace!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falmouth14 June 2018
Working for the National Trust has allowed me to work for a company that I really believe in. The work that they do is outstanding and they believe in each and every employee. They are fair and helpful employers.

Want to know more about National Trust?

Ask a question
Brilliant Employer
HOUSEKEEPER (Current Employee) –  Somerset11 June 2018
Love, love, love working here amazing locations and a great team. Cleaning holiday accommodation in a variety of locations, fabulous team who are all approachable.
Pros
Tranquil surroundings, beautiful buildings, countryside..bliss
Hard Work. No Appreciation. Critical. Disorganised. Chaotic and Bad Management
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter12 May 2018
Work as a Catering Assistant is long hours on your feet. No breaks. No appreciation of your hard work. Customers can be lovely but many are rude demanding and condescending. The usual mix of team members, some lovely and you make life long friends, some are back stabbing and have other agendas. Lots of cleaning, emptying rubbish bins, washing up and lifting heavy stock. Tips are stingy. Equipment very old and tatty, huge shortage or crockery and cutlery. Stock is also very hit and miss and products often run out despite being aware of busy times and events. The planning of stock and staff is very inadequate and poorly managed during busy times. Catering outlets are tatty and dirty in desperate need of refurbishment. The clean in the evening is completed by staff who have been on their feet all day and are desperate to leave and get home. Hence no attention to detail. Pay is minimum wage and can be very difficult to understand because payslips are not clear. Very short staffed on occasions, management expectations are high.
Pros
Free Tea and Coffee. Staff Discount in the Shop. Admission Free
Cons
Hard Graft. Poor Pay, Stressful, Under Valued, Short Staffed.
Rewarding
Conservation Plan Assistant and Room Guide (Former Employee) –  Seaton Delaval12 May 2018
The National Trust does extremely valuable work in estate management and being able to contribute to this through research of an estate's historic environment was a considerable privilege.This allowed me to develop skills in project management and historic research, with key support provided by Trust staff.
Voluntary Ranger
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Wimborne11 May 2018
Voluntary position with the Estate Ranger/Warden team.
Varied tasks assigned on a weekly basis to assist the wardens manage the wider estate.
Excellent team.
Pros
Flexible and fun
Cons
Voluntary
Love the outdoors
Seasonal Outdoor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, County Down4 May 2018
Come rain come shine, there's always something to do and all the team are smiling. There is a huge focus on customer service even in outdoor roles such as rangers and gardeners
Passionate people
Finance Business Partner (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London18 April 2018
Hard working passionate people for the right cause.
Good benefit package
Beautiful properties and a great variety of skills working in one organization.
very fun to work with
Volunteering - Land based work (Former Employee) –  Cornwall15 April 2018
i enjoyed working with some of the workers from the national trust in many tasks from putting up signposts in my village to levelling walkways on uneven terrain. they are very thorough about their work and the level of security (prevents accidents) they give you while working.
Pros
easy to understand inexperienced tasks
Cons
voluntary
Lovely Environment
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh14 April 2018
Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and gave me tons of support during my first few weeks there. I personally found the history very interesting to engage with too. Because the site was already very well-staffed I was often given the chance to take a break in the staff room where there was tea and biscuits.
Pros
friendly staff, low-stress
Cons
Sometimes very little to do when well-staffed and guests are rare
Valuable experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cornwall8 April 2018
Myself and my husband ran beach cleaning working holidays for the summer for the National Trust. We welcomed a dozen foreign students every 2 weeks and managed the daily beach clean plus their 24 hour needs with entertainment, team building games, cooking rotas, shopping. Brilliant experience.
It wasn't a Job i was volunteering but indeed doesn't understand that
Voulenteer (Former Employee) –  Arnside, Cumbria2 April 2018
Like really come on, don't have so much faith in your algorythm indeed. Other then that it was pretty great and very fun, I don't regret the work i did there over the summer.
Pros
Working Outdoors
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.