National Trust Employee Reviews

Great Workplace!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falmouth14 June 2018
Working for the National Trust has allowed me to work for a company that I really believe in. The work that they do is outstanding and they believe in each and every employee. They are fair and helpful employers.
Brilliant Employer
HOUSEKEEPER (Current Employee) –  Somerset11 June 2018
Love, love, love working here amazing locations and a great team. Cleaning holiday accommodation in a variety of locations, fabulous team who are all approachable.
Pros
Tranquil surroundings, beautiful buildings, countryside..bliss
Hard Work. No Appreciation. Critical. Disorganised. Chaotic and Bad Management
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter12 May 2018
Work as a Catering Assistant is long hours on your feet. No breaks. No appreciation of your hard work. Customers can be lovely but many are rude demanding and condescending. The usual mix of team members, some lovely and you make life long friends, some are back stabbing and have other agendas. Lots of cleaning, emptying rubbish bins, washing up and lifting heavy stock. Tips are stingy. Equipment very old and tatty, huge shortage or crockery and cutlery. Stock is also very hit and miss and products often run out despite being aware of busy times and events. The planning of stock and staff is very inadequate and poorly managed during busy times. Catering outlets are tatty and dirty in desperate need of refurbishment. The clean in the evening is completed by staff who have been on their feet all day and are desperate to leave and get home. Hence no attention to detail. Pay is minimum wage and can be very difficult to understand because payslips are not clear. Very short staffed on occasions, management expectations are high.
Pros
Free Tea and Coffee. Staff Discount in the Shop. Admission Free
Cons
Hard Graft. Poor Pay, Stressful, Under Valued, Short Staffed.
Rewarding
Conservation Plan Assistant and Room Guide (Former Employee) –  Seaton Delaval12 May 2018
The National Trust does extremely valuable work in estate management and being able to contribute to this through research of an estate's historic environment was a considerable privilege.This allowed me to develop skills in project management and historic research, with key support provided by Trust staff.
Voluntary Ranger
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Wimborne11 May 2018
Voluntary position with the Estate Ranger/Warden team.
Varied tasks assigned on a weekly basis to assist the wardens manage the wider estate.
Excellent team.
Pros
Flexible and fun
Cons
Voluntary
Love the outdoors
Seasonal Outdoor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, County Down4 May 2018
Come rain come shine, there's always something to do and all the team are smiling. There is a huge focus on customer service even in outdoor roles such as rangers and gardeners
Passionate people
Finance Business Partner (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London18 April 2018
Hard working passionate people for the right cause.
Good benefit package
Beautiful properties and a great variety of skills working in one organization.
very fun to work with
Volunteering - Land based work (Former Employee) –  Cornwall15 April 2018
i enjoyed working with some of the workers from the national trust in many tasks from putting up signposts in my village to levelling walkways on uneven terrain. they are very thorough about their work and the level of security (prevents accidents) they give you while working.
Pros
easy to understand inexperienced tasks
Cons
voluntary
Lovely Environment
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh14 April 2018
Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and gave me tons of support during my first few weeks there. I personally found the history very interesting to engage with too. Because the site was already very well-staffed I was often given the chance to take a break in the staff room where there was tea and biscuits.
Pros
friendly staff, low-stress
Cons
Sometimes very little to do when well-staffed and guests are rare
Valuable experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cornwall8 April 2018
Myself and my husband ran beach cleaning working holidays for the summer for the National Trust. We welcomed a dozen foreign students every 2 weeks and managed the daily beach clean plus their 24 hour needs with entertainment, team building games, cooking rotas, shopping. Brilliant experience.

Want to know more about National Trust?

Ask a question
It wasn't a Job i was volunteering but indeed doesn't understand that
Voulenteer (Former Employee) –  Arnside, Cumbria2 April 2018
Like really come on, don't have so much faith in your algorythm indeed. Other then that it was pretty great and very fun, I don't regret the work i did there over the summer.
Pros
Working Outdoors
I enjoy my work
Building Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Antrim13 March 2018
Every day is different as you work on various sites and with different groups of people, dealing with a wide range of issues from ppm service /reactive work and compliance jobs.
Pros
Home every evening
Cons
Long hours in the summer
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Cornwall9 March 2018
A really good place to work and also the added bonus of staff perks in and around the UK with the beautiful National Trust properties. Good job prospects and good working ethic
Pros
Free National Trust Membership
Great for University Placements
Visitor reception and welcome assistant (Former Employee) –  Canons Ashby8 March 2018
Welcoming and warm atmosphere, with very friendly staff and volunteers.
Working within the visitor reception it was great to meet and engage with visitors with a mutual interest.
If you study tourism or history a great place to gain experience.
Volunteer hours are flexible to fit around studying and you have great opportunities to get involved and apply skills and knowledge into practice.
I returned for 2 summers for my University placement and still volunteer if I have spare time. Always welcomed back.
Pros
Extremely friendly staff, expenses of travel and other discounts
Cons
Seasonal.
Great
Rookie Ranger (Former Employee) –  Somerset7 March 2018
Working for the trust was extremely rewarding, because every day was something brand new, and I got to feel like I was giving just a little bit more back to planet Earth.
Pros
Outside Work
Cons
Can be chilly
Amazing place to work with amazing staff but bad management
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester4 March 2018
I absolutely love working here for the people i work with and the customers, we have the best teams ever and is such a unique place to work but management let it down. There’s really no way to progress past supervisor and everything is broken. What i will say is you will work your butt off day in day out and get nothing in return not even a well done or a thanks, instead you are repayed with cancelled shifts and no tips. I have made lifelong friends here and have had so much fun working here, but after a few years theres only so much you can take. Fantastic job for people at uni as you can come and go as you please and great for young people too but very hard if you want solid income to live off losing out on shifts and not being payed much.
Pros
Lunch is included, amazing team, fun workplace, lots of social events.
Cons
Badly run, pay, no tips, no progression.
Catering Assistant/Barista (Former Employee) –  Cardiff2 February 2018
Working at Dyffryn Gardens was a a great job due to the surrounding envrioment you were able to work in. The people and the customers always made your days enjoyable
Pros
Free Entry into the trust
Cons
Shift cancellations
Rewarding and Productive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woolsthorpe1 February 2018
Helped out with a lot of installations and kept busy majority of the time. location was cold and poorly lit due to the age of the house and no functional heaters were in place. offered an opportunity to give back to the community and make the experience more enjoyable
Pros
chance to further my skills with working with a project
Cons
Cold conditions
part time work only
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  West Midlands23 January 2018
seasonal contract .
Good experience for school leavers and holiday work
long hours and hard work for the salary paid .
can lead to better position
My Job
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melksham, Wiltshire22 January 2018
Sadly I was made redundant in June last year after 13 years of working with the National Trust holidays team, I enjoyed this customer service role very much and was very proud to have been part of the holidays product.
I enjoyed the interaction with the customers both internal and external, and working as a team member
I enjoy giving good customer service and knowing people go away with a good resolution.
Pros
Great team
Cons
shift work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.