National Trust Employee Reviews

very fun to work with
Volunteering - Land based work (Former Employee) –  Cornwall15 April 2018
i enjoyed working with some of the workers from the national trust in many tasks from putting up signposts in my village to levelling walkways on uneven terrain. they are very thorough about their work and the level of security (prevents accidents) they give you while working.
Pros
easy to understand inexperienced tasks
Cons
voluntary
Lovely Environment
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh14 April 2018
Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and gave me tons of support during my first few weeks there. I personally found the history very interesting to engage with too. Because the site was already very well-staffed I was often given the chance to take a break in the staff room where there was tea and biscuits.
Pros
friendly staff, low-stress
Cons
Sometimes very little to do when well-staffed and guests are rare
Valuable experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cornwall8 April 2018
Myself and my husband ran beach cleaning working holidays for the summer for the National Trust. We welcomed a dozen foreign students every 2 weeks and managed the daily beach clean plus their 24 hour needs with entertainment, team building games, cooking rotas, shopping. Brilliant experience.
It wasn't a Job i was volunteering but indeed doesn't understand that
Voulenteer (Former Employee) –  Arnside, Cumbria2 April 2018
Like really come on, don't have so much faith in your algorythm indeed. Other then that it was pretty great and very fun, I don't regret the work i did there over the summer.
Pros
Working Outdoors
I enjoy my work
Building Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Antrim13 March 2018
Every day is different as you work on various sites and with different groups of people, dealing with a wide range of issues from ppm service /reactive work and compliance jobs.
Pros
Home every evening
Cons
Long hours in the summer
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Cornwall9 March 2018
A really good place to work and also the added bonus of staff perks in and around the UK with the beautiful National Trust properties. Good job prospects and good working ethic
Pros
Free National Trust Membership
Great for University Placements
Visitor reception and welcome assistant (Former Employee) –  Canons Ashby8 March 2018
Welcoming and warm atmosphere, with very friendly staff and volunteers.
Working within the visitor reception it was great to meet and engage with visitors with a mutual interest.
If you study tourism or history a great place to gain experience.
Volunteer hours are flexible to fit around studying and you have great opportunities to get involved and apply skills and knowledge into practice.
I returned for 2 summers for my University placement and still volunteer if I have spare time. Always welcomed back.
Pros
Extremely friendly staff, expenses of travel and other discounts
Cons
Seasonal.
Great
Rookie Ranger (Former Employee) –  Somerset7 March 2018
Working for the trust was extremely rewarding, because every day was something brand new, and I got to feel like I was giving just a little bit more back to planet Earth.
Pros
Outside Work
Cons
Can be chilly
Amazing place to work with amazing staff but bad management
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester4 March 2018
I absolutely love working here for the people i work with and the customers, we have the best teams ever and is such a unique place to work but management let it down. There’s really no way to progress past supervisor and everything is broken. What i will say is you will work your butt off day in day out and get nothing in return not even a well done or a thanks, instead you are repayed with cancelled shifts and no tips. I have made lifelong friends here and have had so much fun working here, but after a few years theres only so much you can take. Fantastic job for people at uni as you can come and go as you please and great for young people too but very hard if you want solid income to live off losing out on shifts and not being payed much.
Pros
Lunch is included, amazing team, fun workplace, lots of social events.
Cons
Badly run, pay, no tips, no progression.
Catering Assistant/Barista (Former Employee) –  Cardiff2 February 2018
Working at Dyffryn Gardens was a a great job due to the surrounding envrioment you were able to work in. The people and the customers always made your days enjoyable
Pros
Free Entry into the trust
Cons
Shift cancellations
Rewarding and Productive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woolsthorpe1 February 2018
Helped out with a lot of installations and kept busy majority of the time. location was cold and poorly lit due to the age of the house and no functional heaters were in place. offered an opportunity to give back to the community and make the experience more enjoyable
Pros
chance to further my skills with working with a project
Cons
Cold conditions
part time work only
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  West Midlands23 January 2018
seasonal contract .
Good experience for school leavers and holiday work
long hours and hard work for the salary paid .
can lead to better position
My Job
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melksham, Wiltshire22 January 2018
Sadly I was made redundant in June last year after 13 years of working with the National Trust holidays team, I enjoyed this customer service role very much and was very proud to have been part of the holidays product.
I enjoyed the interaction with the customers both internal and external, and working as a team member
I enjoy giving good customer service and knowing people go away with a good resolution.
Pros
Great team
Cons
shift work
The best bit about my job
Outdoors Experiences Officer (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire19 January 2018
Is that I work for an organization I believe in! I fully support the aims of the National Trust and value its commitment to looking after the country's most valued assets and keeping them special for future generations to enjoy.
Badly managed , bullying environment , no team work
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stowe14 January 2018
Whilst working in the catering department it is your fellow colleuges that make the work place . However if you want to work in a department that means the catering managers do less work then lower staff then this is the place for you .

The time within the catering department has been one of the most stressful experiences ever, management leave you to your own devises and Palm whatever work they can to people below them.

Team work just does not occur and employees can be
Singled out . Not a very nice working environment.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Toxic working environment, bad management who do less work
No help when asked
Catering and Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire11 January 2018
Despite many attempts to get management to assist you during busy periods is impossible, you are often left on your own to serve long lines of customers on a regular basis, the pay surely does not reflect the amount of work we have to put in, only the supervisor and colleagues on my level seem to be the only personable and relateable people and feel much the same way I do.
Pros
Perksatwork - discounts off high street and online shops
Cons
Long hours when not helped to clear up
Great Place to awork
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Blickling, Norfolk9 January 2018
Was a great place to work. The job can be frustrating as things tend to move very slowly. But the management and staff make a very friendly and professional place to work.
Lovely job in lovely location
Gift shop manager (Former Employee) –  Cumbria5 January 2018
Management didn’t approve of a NT Enterprises shop on their park so we’re very unhelpful. I loved stocking the shop and selling products. I like what the NT are all about
Pros
Lovely products and site, good hours
Cons
Low pay, very lonely in winter
Interesting and engaging opportunity to interface with the public and acquire new skills in conservation and architectural history
Membership & Visitor Welcome Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire5 January 2018
Excellent opportunity to interface with the public and a great opportunity to learn about history, conservation and the Charity cause which is to secure the future of our beautiful places for all to enjoy.
A typical day involves admissions and sales and for non-members a recruitment opportunity. I have learned historic information, people skills, first aid and fire training. Part of our role is to guide and provide information about the history of the property in an informative interesting and engaging manner. Management allows team members to be pro-active and delegates responsibilities in an efficient way. The role expects initiative and taking charge of any situations which might occur in a practical, efficient and professional way. There is a culture of respect and shared work experience amongst fellow staff and management. The hardest part of the job is non-existent, the most enjoyable part is seeing the enjoyment on visitors faces when the leave the site.
Pros
Fixed term so time off for social life over winter months
Cons
Poor pay
Beautiful grounds to work at, but unpleasant working environment due to staffing/management issues
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth3 January 2018
The grounds were absolutely beautiful to work at. It was lovely knowing that all the nature was surrounding you whilst you served customers. Customers were generally very polite and grateful for your service. I enjoyed working with the National Trust for the first year until it was taken over by new management. After this, senior staff began arguing with each other more and the workplace became very tense and unpleasant. Teamwork became almost non-existent. I began to believe that the National Trust at Saltram House (Plymouth) was becoming more concerned about money-making than conserving the environment, which led to the damaging of the grounds, particularly in the car parks.
Pros
Experience within a tearoom/coffee shop
Cons
Tension between staff members and understaffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.