National Trust

National Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom438 reviews
Productive and fast-paced
Interacting with customers, ability to think on your feet when busy, providing excellent customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job was becoming part of a great team.
Catering Assistant
A fabulous setting, friendly staff, a very good work/home balance for me.
The tea rooms are exceptionally busy, very fast paced and the salary is fair.
unique organisation. A privilege to work for
huge variation, passionate people who believe in what they are doing. Protecting heritage and nature for the nation. Truly a job that helps to make a real difference.
Rewarding Work
Working for a charity is always rewarding, and the same can be said for the National Trust. However, there are compromises you have to make, such as salary and poor people management.
Pros
Interesting and unusual work
Cons
Low salary and revenue focused managers.
Volunteer
As always with charity rolls, it would have been nice to be trained & paid. The work had a high level of responsibility for people with special needs and no formal training.
National Trust
Great job culture and a great work ethic. Make you very welcome. A friendly and relaxed environment where everyone is approachable. Work can get done at pace with a reasonably flat management structure.
Pros
Friendly environment, member benefits
Blatant bullies
I disclosed being bullied and intimidated by a member of management and was hushed out of the door so fast my feet didn’t touch the ground ! Culture of bullies and love to intimidate female members of the team 😡 I hate what you done to me !
Thoroughly enjoyed my time here
Although short lived my time at the National trust was a fantastic experiment of which I would recommend to anyone, providing they’re willing to work to fluctuating volumes of people. The work can be stressful at times when busy but it’s such a rewarding job that you don’t mind too much. Autumn days can be u credibly slow in comparison to the bustling summer but there is Always a way to fill the time and you’re always surrounded by an amazingly friendly and supportive workforce
awful place to work
the causeway was impossible, being front of desk explaining that if you parked in the car park you had to pay not only for the parking but the centre per person in the car. It felt like a rip off esp when it was free to walk to the stones. stressful job with very few benefits
Productive and Fun
Good workplace, never felt uncomfortable to ask for help. An enjoyable place to work. It was a very busy and fast-pace place to work however there was mostly enough staff to help with this. However, when it was short-staffed it could prove more difficult especially if higher members of staff did not help
easy
a good job easy to work for and good management with fair treatment of all staff and nobody was hard to work for management are strict but chilled this made working enjoyable
Passionate, lovely
Head office work - simply a fantastic topic on which to work. Generally, expert people of all professional walks of life converging together to work on an extremely noble and worthy cause of passing over the nations nature and heritage to the next generation. Lots of data, analysis, philosophies and perspectives give it a quasi academic feel at times, but, all told makes for a thoughtful and well meaning and conscious culture. A little over consultative, it would admit itself, but hardly the worst crime!
An amazing place to work with amazing staff.
I worked for a season with the National Trust. I really enjoyed the work and the staff were all lovely. The pay was great and everyone in the role was paid the same regardless of age as we all had the same role and responsibilities within this. The rota was very flexible and if you couldn't work over a long smell they were very understandable - e.g. exams or holidays. The only downside would maybe be if you were on call you would have to make yourself free but may not get called in and would not get paid for this.
The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with visitor. The National trust has a high expectation on Visitor service which is something I love
My job within the National trust is very varied which is something I enjoy I am at my best with front facing tasks I consider my self very good with customers I have a natural way with me which customers and staff comment on in a positive way. Within a team I lead from the front and inspire and motivate my team members.
Do not work for the National Trust
Meant to be a well established company with good reputation. SO FAR FROM THE TRUTH! I have worked for many years for NT and there is way too much middle management that no one gets things done. they turn their back on loyal and hard working staff, use redundancy. no one is given any support and the place is just chaos, no one cares about the issues and resolving them. They pay middle management way too much while they all sit around doing nothing and never invest any money back into their properties to improve staff and customer experience. PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE AND DO NOT WORK FOR THEM! and i an say this for every property i have experienced across the south.It is the worst company ever. What they expect for the pay is disgusting. No break an stressful work while managers sit on computer with no clue at actually getting to know the business. minimum wage, no extra on bank holidays. Expect you to give 5 weeks notice when you need a day off as well as expect you to drop everything to work whenever they demand. i have worked at many places and never experienced anything so draw dropping.
Lovely culture
The National Trust is a wonderful organisation to work for! The company culture is warm and colleagues are supportive and helpful- I have really enjoyed working here!
good
Good place to work with lovely people and a great cause. Not very well paid as it is the charity sector

HArdest part is the poor pay, the best part is getting out to properties
Productive, creative and fun
Lovely people, considerate and friendly. Excellent work/life balance and workplace culture. Physical conservation work is rewarding and the practical creativity tasks are informative and fun.
Out door work
Out door working spring trees down grooming the horses working in the woods planting flowers and trees driving the tractor, Taking the horses out to grass then bring them back in if it gets to cold for them
Manager was stuck between two thorns which made it very difficult for him to do his job probably, the supervisor was a bully and made my work experience very difficult which is why I had to leave, I was not the only one that was bullied by her. As for the rest of staff I have to say worked exceptionally well due to the conditions.
Would be a lovely place to work IF the management were English and understood the English lifestyle!
Try not to work autonomously, following orders like a robot helps. Don't be ill!. Management don't like it. If you go above and beyond, don't expect any thanks!
Pros
Free soup or sandwiches, free NT membership
Cons
Long hours not appreciated by management!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.