National Trust Employee Reviews

Badly managed , bullying environment , no team work
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stowe14 January 2018
Whilst working in the catering department it is your fellow colleuges that make the work place . However if you want to work in a department that means the catering managers do less work then lower staff then this is the place for you .

The time within the catering department has been one of the most stressful experiences ever, management leave you to your own devises and Palm whatever work they can to people below them.

Team work just does not occur and employees can be
Singled out . Not a very nice working environment.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Toxic working environment, bad management who do less work
No help when asked
Catering and Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire11 January 2018
Despite many attempts to get management to assist you during busy periods is impossible, you are often left on your own to serve long lines of customers on a regular basis, the pay surely does not reflect the amount of work we have to put in, only the supervisor and colleagues on my level seem to be the only personable and relateable people and feel much the same way I do.
Pros
Perksatwork - discounts off high street and online shops
Cons
Long hours when not helped to clear up
Great Place to awork
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Blickling, Norfolk9 January 2018
Was a great place to work. The job can be frustrating as things tend to move very slowly. But the management and staff make a very friendly and professional place to work.
Lovely job in lovely location
Gift shop manager (Former Employee) –  Cumbria5 January 2018
Management didn’t approve of a NT Enterprises shop on their park so we’re very unhelpful. I loved stocking the shop and selling products. I like what the NT are all about
Pros
Lovely products and site, good hours
Cons
Low pay, very lonely in winter
Interesting and engaging opportunity to interface with the public and acquire new skills in conservation and architectural history
Membership & Visitor Welcome Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire5 January 2018
Excellent opportunity to interface with the public and a great opportunity to learn about history, conservation and the Charity cause which is to secure the future of our beautiful places for all to enjoy.
A typical day involves admissions and sales and for non-members a recruitment opportunity. I have learned historic information, people skills, first aid and fire training. Part of our role is to guide and provide information about the history of the property in an informative interesting and engaging manner. Management allows team members to be pro-active and delegates responsibilities in an efficient way. The role expects initiative and taking charge of any situations which might occur in a practical, efficient and professional way. There is a culture of respect and shared work experience amongst fellow staff and management. The hardest part of the job is non-existent, the most enjoyable part is seeing the enjoyment on visitors faces when the leave the site.
Pros
Fixed term so time off for social life over winter months
Cons
Poor pay
Beautiful grounds to work at, but unpleasant working environment due to staffing/management issues
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth3 January 2018
The grounds were absolutely beautiful to work at. It was lovely knowing that all the nature was surrounding you whilst you served customers. Customers were generally very polite and grateful for your service. I enjoyed working with the National Trust for the first year until it was taken over by new management. After this, senior staff began arguing with each other more and the workplace became very tense and unpleasant. Teamwork became almost non-existent. I began to believe that the National Trust at Saltram House (Plymouth) was becoming more concerned about money-making than conserving the environment, which led to the damaging of the grounds, particularly in the car parks.
Pros
Experience within a tearoom/coffee shop
Cons
Tension between staff members and understaffed
Good pay, slightly intimidating atmosphere but would still recommend.
Giant's Causeway - retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland2 January 2018
The job itself is very good and great experience for going into other jobs. However, I found that there was a pressure by managers to be very outgoing all the time. This would not be an issue for someone with an extroverted personality but for us introverts it made going to work stressful and intimidating. I am by no means an overly quiet person but i found on a number of occasions I was singled out as not engaging enough. I know of a few other members of staff who were forced to leave because of similar pressures. A great job for extroverts though, I would still recommend!
Was a Voluntary Role
Volunteer Ranger (Former Employee) –  Castle Ward1 January 2018
I had a extremely good time working for the National trust and I learned a great deal of invaluable skills and made life long friends and believe that provided a great deal joy to the visiting members of public.
Fun and enthusiastic
Retail Assistant/ Tourist Information/ Admissions (Former Employee) –  Bushmills29 December 2017
Challenges differ from day to day, meet new tourist everyday. A highly rewarding job and fun to work in different departments. Very different from any job I have previously had.
Great experience provided by great staff
Volunteer Social Media Assistant (Current Employee) –  Riddlesden15 December 2017
All staff are friendly and working here is providing me with great experience in the career I'm persuing. Working here as a volunteer is rewarding and fun.
Great if you're passionate about the Trust
Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Tyntesfield2 December 2017
If you love the National Trust then it's great to work here. However, if you wish to innovate, challenge experiment then a role here might not be for you.
Pros
Support and Knowledge
Cons
Inconsistent hours for management
Fantastic environment and job satisfaction, poor wage
Visitor Welcome Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knightshayes Court, Tiverton23 November 2017
A really fulfilling and happy place to work, particularly if you love history and/or gardening. Each member of staff and volunteer I have met has been enthusiastic, positive and wonderful to work with. The only downside is the pay: minimum wage or thereabouts in most cases and no commission for signing up new members (I must have missed out on thousands of pounds in that respect). If that were to change I would gladly go back.
Pros
Great working environment, free entry to all Trust properties for you and family, discount on goods.
Cons
Poor pay, no commission for memberships
Not like work
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Enniskillen8 November 2017
If you have an interest in History and conservation then working with the National Trust is a pleasure.
Sharing your passion about something with others is a joy and does not feel like work at all.
Working with like minded people is even better.
Pros
passing on enthusiasm
Cons
often only seasonal
perfect summer job
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dinefwr park3 November 2017
lovely charity to work for with friendly staff and a good ethos. I took this role on as a summer work to have something to help me prepare for university life.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
takes a few months before your first paid, started working in June got paid end of September
Happy Environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torbay, Devon30 October 2017
Cheery customers and staff, beautiful setting and free membership!!! Fair wages for everyone, including young people. 0 hour contract is not ideal but usually a fair amount of shifts available. Overall a pleasant environment
Interesting place to work
Room Guide (Former Employee) –  Felbrigg hall24 October 2017
Felbrigg hall is an estate with a long and interesting history and my job was to tell people the history of some of the rooms. It is run just like any other national trust property, the other volunteers were very friendly and helpful and the manager was nice and I missed the Felbrigg hall controversy and the national trust controversy by a year so I can't talk about them with any inside knowledge, also the lunch was free.
Pros
Free lunch
Great people on the ground doing a great job
Finance Business Partner (Current Employee) –  UK19 October 2017
Varied days, diverse workload
Collaborative and political culture utilizes negotiating and influencing skills
Systems and processes can be frustrating and the volume of information hard to keep on top of
Most enjoyable the places and the people
Pros
Great people and places
Cons
maintaining a work life balance
Catering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire19 October 2017
I loved working at the National Trust. I don't think there is an example of a 'typical day' as every day is different and that's what makes it such a unique place to work. You will get to experience what it's like to work in a variety of departments and everyone works as part of a team to ensure the place runs smoothly. I learnt a lot whilst working here through various training courses. The National Trust will be like your second family, everyone looks out for each other and it is a lovely environment to work in. The hardest part of the job is probably when the site is really busy and we don't have enough staff but even then it's still a good day because everyone pulls together to help each other out. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is talking to the regulars everyday and really making a difference to the people you encounter.
Pros
free lunches, great staff socials, great company, friendly workforce, excellent opportunities for improvement and development
Cons
can be stressful during peak seasons
Lovely workplace culture, bad management
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Broadclyst, Devon2 October 2017
Lovely team to work with, and is like a close second family once you settle in. however it is a fast paced environment, with a varied diverse operation, with a fast turnover.
Management can be negative and demoralizing, main reason why I'm leaving, but staff in general get very close, and the surrounding environment is staggering. Lush views all year round. And relaxing on a quiet day.
Pros
Lovely staff, great food for lunch, good pay for a student starting out in his/her career
Cons
Hard work for minimum wage, pays rate for minimum age of 21 and above Currently at £7.50
National Trust
Customer assistant in the café at weekends (Former Employee) –  dishes, UK30 September 2017
Part time work in the cafe at a National trust property. Would deal with customers, cash, fresh food and hot drinks. Throughly enjoyable and also very busy.