National Trust Employee Reviews

Great for a kick start in your career
Assistant Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Plas Newydd23 November 2018
I enjoy my role now as it gives a balance of operational and administrative, i have worked within this role for 3 years and have definitely learnt a great deal about the business and how it operates from the ground up. i would recommend anyone looking to start there career and progress up to consider NT as they have a wide range of roles available and invest well in your future
Pros
no evenings, set shifts, 2 days off together, great team morale
Cons
weekend work
Interesting and lovely place to work .
Catering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ripon16 November 2018
I enjoyed working for the national trust in ripon at fountains Abbey. I worked there for 10 years. It's a very busy place. You learn a lot of history there. I worked in the restaurants, and both tea rooms. I was a supervisor of a team and really enjoyed it. I'm hard working and available to start work anytime. Reason I left was for a change of career.
Pros
You got to meet a lot of new people and was very enjoyable job.
Cons
Travel distance was getting to much.
Do not recommend
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire22 October 2018
Management appalling- never saw supervisor during the day, when I did see them I would be told to work harder, whilst there were girls stood around doing nothing. Very high staff turnover. Rude customers, we were expected to give free hot water to customers who bought their own tea bags. Got shouted at for taking time off that I had given plenty of notice for.
However, very well paid for my age & experience and free food (cake, hot drinks, lunch etc).
Avoid this place :)
Pros
Lots of free food, good pay, scenery
Cons
rude customers, bad management, high staff turnover
Sadly so much has gone wrong
VSA (Current Employee) –  North East5 October 2018
As the title says so much wrong with this company now with a blame and bullying culture from the regional managers, the work life balance does not exist as you are expected to work more that your paid hours and if you do you do not get the time back as the regional manager does not recognise time off in lieu, be careful of working for them, In theory should be a great place to work with magnificent buildings In reality a business that is ill managed and currently in chaos because of a new system they introduced making it nigh on impossible to do your job properly
Pros
great work collegues and buildings to work in
Cons
Rotten to the core culture of bullying from the top down
Clicky no structure , no training budget and 0 hour contracts that don’t support staff
Head Chef/Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 November 2018
Could be a very very rewarding job ... but unfortunately it is ran by gp gp gp driven people , who have no respect for there staff and the hard work there staff out in .
If you are a manager it ok as you have your salary,but for the day to day workers it is a very poor environment. And in my eyes as bad as sports direct in treating there staff
Run a mile
Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland27 September 2018
Sadly the company is a shadow of its former great self, over the last couple of years a re shuffle has seen staff being made redundant and replaced with "Commercial" managers who have little or no concept or care about conserving the properties or land for the nation. The management style has deteriorated in to a bullying and blame culture and is a toxic place to work.

The doors are kept open by a great team of front line staff at the properties and despite the best attempts of the senior management manage to battle through but not at a cost as the turnover is appalling, staff induction is a joke its a sink or swim culture when you are employed

As said in the title run a mile! You have been warned
Pros
You get paid at the end of the month
Cons
Thankless organisation
Questionable
N/A (Former Employee) –  Swindon and National5 September 2018
If you love the organisation then the down sides may not matter but the quality of senior management and strategic abilities may prove a frustration or struggle beyond the interest in the work. It is a wonderful organisation which does superb work but is heavily constrained by rigid adherence to ever changing policies that are often not well conceived as those making such decisions are frequently placed in roles beyond their abilities or experience. Recruitment is either based on an ability to tick unrepresentative boxes in a rigid process that is incapable of achieving a true representation of the candidate or by an individuals ability to ingratiate themselves to the necessary decision makers.
High paced productive environment while maintaining a well balanced team with all my colleague
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Galloway26 September 2018
I learned to work constructively within my team to make sure the day to day tasks were completed to the highest standards even when we were short staffed. Hardest part of the job was working under pressure at the peak time of lunch service but out team was able to adapt and be versatile between roles.
Special, great charity to work for.
Membership & Visitor Welcome Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tyne and Wear16 September 2018
Interesting places to work, full of history, great colleagues and volunteers. Actually enjoy coming to work, working for a cause you care about (hopefully!). Lots of different roles at different locations across the country.
Pros
Free membership, discounts on retail and food/drink, benefits, great working envirnoment
Cons
lower pay then some, zero hours or low contracts
More bad than good 😕
Catering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  East Midlands3 September 2018
Beautiful property and surroundings. Long hours which were both physically and mentally exhausting. Poor organisation. Food and drink provided (when there was a chance to have a break). Management had favourites who got away with doing whatever they wanted (usually as little as possible). Both customer and staff complaints went unaddressed. Seasonal contracts, so no guarantee you'll be employed past November each year.
Pros
Food/drinks provided; good discounts; lovely surroundings
Cons
Management attitude; long hours with little to no breaks
Average
Catering Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Devon18 August 2018
Personally found the experience okay. Some customers are extremely kind, positive and polite which makes your day however some can be rude and/or grumpy affecting job satisfaction. Furthermore, if you are directly dealing with customers you will face the brunt of the criticism from them even when the situation is not your fault and you can't do anything about it. However this situation occurs with the majority of jobs involving serving customers.
Pros
Manager gave us free coffee.
Cons
Rush can leave you stressed.
I found them a reasonable company to work for
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Sussex16 August 2018
It was very busy at times but most of the time we coped well as a team and got on with the job. I worked with a great team and we mostly got on well with each other.
Although I was working every weekend at first that situation was changing and I was starting to get regular weekends off.
The benefits were good, meals provided and discounts in the shop and tearoom as well as free entry for me and my family.
It was hard work and tyring and very busy at times but it could be rewarding when you had compliments from customers and had regular visitors who you could get to know well.
Pros
Lunches provided and discount in shops and tearoom and free membership
Cons
Working most weekends
soul destroying
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  south west14 August 2018
Unrealistic targets set against a culture of incompetence and zero work life balance.
Decentralised format means that managers can run their own personal fiefdoms in any way they see fit. Which is fine. As long as your face fits. In effect, if you're a white, middle class graduate and want a nodding dog career path then this is for you. if on the other hand you want to see the many millions of pounds given to the organisation every year, spent wisely and in the right places, then go elsewhere.
Pros
membership and discounts
Cons
ridiculous workload, poor mangement
Lovely place to work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Felbrigg Hall1 October 2018
A day at the National Trust started with counting and balancing all cash. cheque and card payments that were taken from the day before. I then made sure all the cash was ready to be collected for G4S. All payments were the entered onto the National Trust payment system.
My manager was kind and helpful. She was so kind and helpful to everyone and so the atmosphere in the office was fantastic.
All of the employees would help each other at very busy times. Quite often the estate manager would be stood by the side of me helping load the dishwasher when the restaurant was under pressure.
There are no negative comments to make about my position at Felbrigg Hall.
One of the most enjoyable parts of the job were the organised events. My job was to advertise them via posters and generally helping out where necessary.
Pros
Entry to historic houses
Cons
no Cons
Regular reorganisation
Accounts Clerk/Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Llandudno13 August 2018
Things have changed a lot since I worked for the National Trust however they do have a good retention of staff even now.
The contracts for administration etc are permanent however a lot of seasonal positions.
They would benefit from a more flexible approach to working hours as these are still set 9am to 5pm with an hour for lunch which is usually not required
Productive and fun work place
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire18 September 2018
Always on the go whether it be serving customers, prepping food, dish-washing or collecting trays.Very fast pace. Friendly staff that make the day run smoother.

Offers you training courses in food hygiene, fire saftey, first aid.

Plenty of practise in customer service.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Can get very busy
Amazing properties and property staff. Very poor management and new Regional staff!
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh18 July 2018
Many conservation, curatorial, buildings and interpretation staff made redundant in a conservation charity. Major loss of knowledge and expertise in the last 3 years verging on criminal. Very very sad loss to Scottish Heritage and a once great organisation for the sake of the bottom line and empire building!
Pros
Amazing properties and hard working property staff
Cons
V poor management regime. Major loss of talent in last 3 years.
friendly interesting and worthwhile
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Avebury, Wiltshire12 September 2018
national trust is a great company to work for. they have a good management team and the work life balance is supported.they work hard to preserve property and history for future generations. i always felt happy and appreciated in my role.
Pros
staff discount and free membership
Cons
Good if you need worklife balance but not for money
Project Manager/Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  Swindon28 August 2018
It is a very good organisation if you need a strong work-life balance. It is quite a child friendly organisation. However, if you are after high salary, bonuses and strong benefits packages this wouldn't be the right place for you.
Pros
Worklife balance
Cons
Salary and benefits
Overall Fun and Positive
Business Support Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  Swindon10 July 2018
Generally a fun and positive environment, autonomy I respected. Unfortunately, Leadership and Management structure varies and layers of Management cloud communication. Opportunities for progression for people with the right experience but progression not really encouraged.
Pros
Nice office, membership
Cons
Leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Trust. Our community is ready to answer.