National Railway Museum Employee Reviews

Fun and a great learning space
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire24 September 2018
The work consisted of conserving the museum artefacts and each day was different. The learning curve here was great and the best part of the job was the staff and their commitment to doing a good job. They were supportive, amiable and good-natured. Would have loved to continue working there long-term.
productive and fun place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 June 2017
My experience of working at the National Railway Museum was in an Admin role working alongside the engineers.

I had a really great team with a professional but easy going work ethic.

Very friendly and willing to provide help or advise at any time with a good workplace culture.

Discount given at the museum Café which helped cut down costs.

The work ethics are that of a hardworking company and you are expected to be a team player and work hard also along with the rest of the team.

There is opportunity to progress and obtain promotion however this is dependant on vacancies and personal review.

Overall an enjoyable and pleasant company to work for.
Pros
Cafe Discount
Cons
Job can be monotonous
sometimes boring sometimes busy
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Cafe and diner23 April 2017
Clean tables, serve people, wash pots.

The people were mostly nice, you've got to have a lot of initiative because everyone will assume you know what to do and nobody really makes sure that you're okay and understand the procedures for everything, but that's probably alright if you like to get straight on with a job.

The shift system is good, there's a sheet you write what hours you want on, and an official hours spreadsheet gets posted every week.

They usually need help in the holidays with events.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Tedious
Varied
Project Manager Masterplan (Current Employee) –  York12 April 2017
Great role working with over twenty departmental specialisms and external contacts, no day is ever the same. The project is exciting and ambitious, and I enjoy developing collaborative team working
Pros
varied role, working with lots of colleagues from diverse backgrounds
Cons
Great fun, very hard work, lots of variety
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  York30 April 2016
No typical day at work. Being the sort of person I am I got involved in as much of the organisation's activities as I could.
I learned huge amounts about PR, Fundraising and Development, event planning, management and delivery, customer service and exhibition design.
The management was a bit variable. I was lucky to work with some very talented managers, but elsewhere in the organisation in some senior positions there were some highly flawed individuals.
Most of my co-workers were excellent people, there were some notable exceptions, however, and these individuals were carefully managed to reduce their influence and the potential damage they could do.
The hardest part of my job involved working with some difficult co-workers so I learned some useful management skills in that respect.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the variety and daily thrill of new challenges and working with a great team.
Pros
Good progression, enjoyable, rewarding work.
Cons
Idiosyncratic senior management, constant restructuring.
Great Place to Work
Visitor Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  York, ENG3 February 2016
I love the NRM! Its a great place to work :) This job comes with instant gratification and I would recommend it to any hard working person who enjoys team work and providing excellent customer service.
Fun workplace, great colleagues, just no chance of advancement
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  York25 July 2015
- Uniform is provided except white shirt, black trousers and black shoes.
- You're in charge of your own clocking in and out, and signing up for shifts for the following week. You also get paid weekly.
- The people that work there are pretty nice, really friendly and you tend to get to know your co-workers well.
- Hardest part of the job is the long hours and most of the time (especially in dinner season) you don't get many hours between shifts.
- Most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people you work with

It's like any other catering job, the managers are all nice, fair people that you can have a laugh with. My reason for leaving is that there was just no place to move up into. I learned a lot, the training is pretty good (I can make a mean latte), and again, the people that work there are amazing, there was just no progress.

The pay's alright, especially for 18-21 year olds!
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours, get paid weekly
Cons
Long hours, no way of going up in the world