National Oilwell Varco

National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Found 90 reviews matching the search See all 2,924 reviews
Good variety
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Kintore14 January 2020
Although there is a good variety of work the facility I worked at had an absolutely foul atmosphere. If you were not an original Elmar guy you were nothing. A bit of bullying and backstabbing went on.
The drawing packs we got to assemble the equipment were out of date, so when you build as per drawing you are wrong and are made to feel like an idiot. No training provided
NOV was a good place to work apart from the job security
Mechanical Fitter- Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  Montrose14 December 2019
A good challenging and fast paced place to work with different tasks to do each day and a large squad working together on large projects which was rewarding to see completed at the end.
American company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire26 November 2019
It was a good place to work for many years. I had lots of great colleagues and we worked hard to deliver a good product to our customer and meet tight deadlines.
QC Inspector (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City9 November 2019
A typical day working for NOV will be enjoyable, you will be sure to learn new skills,
plenty of opportunity to progress your career,
Over all a good place to work.
good work mates
Warehouse Operative / Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Chadderton7 November 2019
very busy workplace, good place to work good training given for differant roles around the factory. mostly shift work 6-2 2-10 10-6.
work and ppe provided for you
Productive work place
Team Leader (Assembly) (Current Employee) –  Stonehouse, Gloucestershire7 October 2019
Very busy all day updating paperwork , Kpi boards and computer programs also making sure staff are working to list order to complete the work on time. attending work meetings with other departments.
Excellent company
Senior Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Andoversford7 October 2019
Well established company, compressed working hours scheme, great benefits, full training provided outstanding management, overall company is the place to be.
Pros
Every other friday off
Good experience
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Montrose13 September 2019
Having a great time working here and it’s a interesting place to work, working environment is good. With a high turn over of contractors, issues do arise. Most work mates and the supervisors are knowledgeable. It’s another string to my bow.. only downside it’s only ever temporary, loving my time there!!!
No progression
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  Kintore12 September 2019
Salary is rubbish and so is advancing through the company. No progress anywhere so you’ll be stuck in a dead end job until you decide to leave. Would not advise working here.
Invisible Management
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen17 July 2019
Management never seen, supervisors who barely speak to you and don't know the tools, only in a supervisory position because they came from a company that was bought over. No direction or leadership, can do what you want. Not treated very well, no infrastructure to help you do your job. Never seen a place where everyone is out for themselves more than here. I have always heard terrible things about NOV but didn't believe it until I seen it for myself. Please take my word, do not work for NOV, its reputation for treating staff bad is well merited.
Pros
None.
Cons
Management, attitudes, a ship adrift at sea.
Typical Oila nd Gas , ups and downs
Strategic Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire2 July 2019
Typcial day includes long-term project planning and more tactical financial analysis. Good team of people but suffer from topheavy management style. An average place to work
Pros
Flexible hours
Disappointing
Mechanical Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Adhoc Field Service23 February 2019
Sounded great, all the standards flaunted but management and customer relations below levels expected.
Engineers treat awful. Seem unable to learn from mistakes and change. Old school thinking. Need new blood to implement changes.
Pros
Work/Life balance.
Cons
Management. Policies.
Productive, fun & professional , respected as employees
Senior Logistics Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Portlethen14 November 2018
Very productive, busy days, interesting workload, always learning new things from different departments, good training, meetings with all departments.
Pros
Enjoyed working
Cons
Countries we shipped to could be hard to deal with when clearing equip into world
Mechanical Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bedlington, Northumberland30 August 2018
A very eventful place to work, great team spirit across all divisions, someone was always able to help you when you got stuck with anything. Met some really great people while I worked here.
No work satisfaction
Fabrication Manager (Former Employee) –  Montrose, Angus16 July 2018
Not a great place to work no time to plan your day or any training for the job,also very long hours as to meet monthly targets was near impossible, on the flip side working at that level was a good learning experience.
Pros
Good benefits
good staff friendly athmosphere
Mechanical Technician K-winch (Former Employee) –  scotland30 May 2018
big company, job was challenging and enjoyable, colleagues were friendly and enjoyable to work with. slow moving with decision making but not a bad thing the company is big.
Pros
good benifits and salary
Good ex[irience
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Montrose20 April 2018
excellent place to serve an apprenticeship. fully exposed to heavy industry operations, increasing responsibility throughout apprenticeship. Great all round company.
Pros
overtime
Cons
working hours
Varied, interesting work, some created by internal issues
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom11 February 2018
Work is varied, with a large variety of equipment to support.
Engineered products are on the whole very good, however systems, processes and documentation continually let the side down.
Figure Driven Company
Standard Products Cell Leader. (Current Employee) –  Kintore, Aberdeenshire Scotland7 February 2018
Usually parts are not provided at the key stages of jobs and then there is always a huge rush at month end leading to unsociable hours for shop floor because of poor foresight. Feels like constant pressure to cover other areas failings.

Great workforce on the floor though.
Pros
Lots of nice people, OT when needed
Generally good place to work
Welding Apprentice/Welder (Former Employee) –  Gateshead29 January 2018
Treated me well the vast majority of the time I was there. Paid for all of my qualifications throughout my apprenticeship and helped me to progress. Unfortunately I wished to progress even further by doing a degree and they could not guarantee me the time off I needed so had to part ways.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

41K