National Autistic Society Employee Reviews

Needs to be blacklisted.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London6 February 2019
well well well where do I begin..
This company is just another name for disgrace, I would give 0 stars if I could! I'm surprised it's even still open and hasn't been blacklisted. A lot of safeguarding issues taking place that management or upper management do not care about because they're a part of it themselves, from the food the service users are provided, the treatment staff are given, etc. When CQC come, they show a front when staff there know the reality! They're all about saving as much money as possible because we all know where that money they're saving goes! they do not care about the service users at all.

First of all, management in the setting itself are very poor, no support, they're never even present most of the time! Second of all, NAS don't give you breaks, and you do long hours but you don't get food on shift even though at the interview I was told that food will be provided, senior bullies you and tells you that the food isn't for the staff, it's for service users only but staff are not allowed to leave the premises to get food so we supposed to starve and watch the service users eat. Senior

There isn't even a water dispenser either, never in my life have I ever worked in a place and there is no water dispenser so I couldn't even have a drink doing long hours there! Service users pay a lot of money to receive the support they deserve and supposed to receive, like being provided with activities but when I was there I would sit all day doing nothing with the service users and every time I would challenge the management and senior about it, it was always
  more... excuses about money being short, where's all the money they're saving and have saved if money is short?.

Hard working staff have been forced out by old staff and management done nothing about it. Some of the staff there are horrible people, they think they have worked there for long, they can bully the new staff and we're supposed to take it, management will not support you with that, that's why all new staff leave and no one wants to work there! if staff there behaved the way they do in any other workplace, they'd be sacked within a week. They literally get rewarded for bad behavior instead of being pulled up for their terrible attitude. No skills whatsoever, no teamwork, no communication. Only probably 2-3 members of staff were very nice. Just a very appalling company, it's all a name, wait till you work there and see the reality.

Can say a lot more but I will just leave it here.
Pros
none!
Cons
long hours, no food, no drink
Terrible
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Great Harwood5 February 2019
Absoloute joke of a company.. sacks all the good hard workers .. management are a load of bullies .. corruption throughout the service which higer management are aware of .. if you speak up ur out its that simple .. havent got a clue about autism and consistency.. not bothered about the people who are supported its all about money.. charity my ar-- .. my advice get ur families out of thier while u can
Pros
None at all
Cons
poor home life work balance
Senior Support Worker, NAS (Former Employee) –  Burnham-on-Sea31 January 2019
pleasure to work alongside adults with autism but the management and organisation of establishment is very poor and i was happy to leave and would not suggest working here
Pros
Cons
poor management
Disgusting management, so many issues
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Brent Knoll, Somerset29 November 2018
I worked here for a year and honestly it was the worst job I’ve had. The other supporting staff were the only ones keeping me there, until new management came in.
I’ve on multiple occasions spoke to my Manager, Duty Manager and Seniors about the safe guarding issues I’ve seen and over the year nothing has been done about any of them!
The people we support deserve much better lives than they live here. I would spend the majority of the day sat inside the house supporting one person. This would happen every day of the week for them. They don’t get the opportunities to go out and do exciting things or even enjoy activities on site.
The place is shocking.
There is not enough support from management for support workers after incidents, all they care is if your going to still be working the following day, not about your injuries.
I wouldn’t recommend working for this company at all.
Pros
Learn a lot about Autism
Cons
Management, no support & abuse
Thankful for the experience
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent30 August 2018
Working for the NAS has been a massive learning experience for me over the last few years. It has taught me a lot about the Autistic spectrum and what it truly means to be an advocate for someone who may not necessarily be able to speak freely for themselves. I have learned Makaton and how to administer medication such as Buccal Madazolam. Getting to know the people I support is the best thing about this job.

On the other hand it has also shown me how important it is to have a healthy work place environment. Having senior management that bully and belittle one another doesn't set a firm foundation for a smoothly run company and the NAS will show you just that. I didn't find that there was really much opportunity for me to grow without immense pressure where my seniors let me and my team down. coupled with the long hours and low pay, this is not a lifestyle I can be happy and build a life with which is ultimately why I have to go
unfair to workers
Bank staff (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire30 August 2018
Never again poor management skills/ high staff turnover/ unfair treatment to staff/ even service users are deprived from activities, poor service never again dont work for these people
Pros
wage ok
Cons
unvalue workers
Even if desperate for a job dont do it!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire26 August 2018
I was bullied by a team leader and her staff friends, when I complained to management I was told to produce evidence! (If only I recorded her and knew in advance that I would be threatened). You will not be paid for overtime if contracted due to a clause in the contract. Legally there is nothing you can do about it! If you are bank you will not get any hours, ( 0 hours was taken literally)!
Pros
The s/u's
Cons
Culture of bullying
Poor pay and lack of support and understanding by management
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire24 August 2018
I have worked for the NAS in various services since 2001. Initially it was a good, caring organisation to work for. Unfortunately now I am not finding it so. The emphasis seems to be 'how much can we get out of the staff for nothing'. The pay is nowhere near what the staff are worth and the support and understanding by management is virtually non-existent. I currently work with an excellent team who have low moral and feel under valued. The situation for me has now reached the point where I am looking for another position elsewhere. I would not recommend the NAS as a place to work.
Pros
Excellent and supportive team to work with.
Cons
Under paid and lack of support by management.
could be appreciated more
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Kent22 August 2018
Working with wonderful children and amazing staff.
I learned a great deal from the children, how to respect difference.
Management could have praised the staff more.
The workplace culture was often flat.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the children.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not always appreciated
Awful in every way
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Somerset17 August 2018
The company as a whole is poorly ran. Nobody high up cares about the people they're responsible for.

There are major safeguarding issues on a regular basis. I wouldn't trust this organisation with a Potato Gun, let alone a member of my family.
Should be closed down, it's a total shambles.
Pros
None at all
Cons
Joke hard stressful glad im leaving
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Neath, Neath Port Talbot16 August 2018
This company is amazing for a few things. Training is brilliant
Management are a joke no support pushing staff members out if they take a disliking to them, staff morale is so poor and they are all struggling at the moment stress levels through the roof
everyone has been made to hate each other and throw people under the bus because of how they have been made to feel and everyone is so scared of the next move they make. Staff cant even talk to each other and let of steam of whats going on or they will pulled in, when that is how we get on with the next shift and remain sane
They try to promote progression but that a joke!
The job overall is amazing the service users are fab and watching the way they live their lives and gaining the most out of life is so rewarding. this job is very rewarding, it can be very difficult and challenging at times. Some staff members are very supportive the seniors at this place are some what amazing. Give the best support needed and work so hard they deserve medals
Pros
food training
Cons
long hours management
Poor HR
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Accrington, Lancashire5 August 2018
Messed me around for three months, HR staff seem to me misinformed and have very poor communication skills. Got denied a job due to them not knowing about overseas background checks.
Pros
Got paid for training
Cons
Months of waiting around with no pay
Poor pay, poor management
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport County4 August 2018
The NAS say they are the leading company in autism and when I first began working for them I believed this to be the case. There induction and training was first class, but as with every care provider I have worked for they were always short staffed. There was always a high turn over of staff and it was normal to see staff who had not long been with the company having new staff shadow them. The service users were quite challenging and this would lead to staff burn out, which resulted in more staff leaving or going long term sick. The pay is very poor (minimum wage) and this is for working shifts and weekends. It's a great place to gain experience if your starting out in health and social care and the NAS have a good reputation but the chance for advancement is poor. Over all I did enjoy my time there and learned a lot but if your looking to support a family the money is not good enough and there are more care providers paying a better rate of pay.
Pros
Free lunch, good staff, service users are great
Cons
Poor pay, not much chance for advancement
Fun but lack of variety in activities
Kids club Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames, Surrey24 July 2018
Whilst working for NAS for the after school kids club was a good and invaluable experience, there was an apparent lack of funding that unfortunately meant that the activties largly consisted of arts and craft. These activities were not always interesting to the older young people (e.g 13 years) and shorter attention spanned children which could lead to higher levels of challenging behaviour without many resources to mitigate this in future sessions.
Nat.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Manea, Cambridgeshire2 July 2018
We do 70:30 till 22:30 shifts then a sleep and go home the next day, unless we are doing a half shift which can mean staying on till 15:00 or coming on at 15:00 and doing the rest of the shift and doing 2 sleeps in a row. This is fine with me as I only have a short walk to work. But we often get 2/3 days off after this, we also have to work weekends.
Our team leader is lovely and so is our manager, and can be flexible if we need a day off, or need to attend appointments.
We have a discount site that can mean up to8% of some shopping.
The hardest parts of the job are the personal care for our clients, and the long hours. For basic pay.
Most enjoyable part seeing our clients happy and enjoying the activities we do with them.
Pros
Holidays entitlement
Cons
The long hours
Interesting and Varied
Registered Manager (Former Employee) –  Barton Mills18 June 2018
The National Autistic society provides an excellent training program for its employees. The work can be intense at times but also very rewarding. The key is good working relationships and good communication with co-workers.
Pros
Variety and rewarding
Cons
Stressful and intense
If your face fits you are fine
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Neath, Neath Port Talbot11 June 2018
After a long service, I’ve been forced to find employment elsewhere due to constant issues arising over the past year that were never present previously.

Managers pretend to be supportive, but, don’t believe them! Nepotism is rife and experience is not valued! Any ideas for change are ignored (unless coming from a preferred person) and if you want any self esteem and confidence kicked out of you, then this is the place to work.

It’s impossible to gain cooperation from colleagues and certain staff come and go as they please.

There is also a culture of do as I say not as I do, and unless your face fits you are discarded.
Pros
The people being supported; a select few staff members
Cons
The management
Surprisingly lack autism knowledge
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lancashire28 May 2018
The managers don't encourage a culture of autism understanding. To say that this is the leading company in providing autism care in the UK, the knowledge base is poor.
The workplace can be very 'us and them' with seniors/managers actively encouraging a 'clique'. New staff and agency staff who don't fit well tend to feel like they are beneath the 'favourites'.
Management show favouritism with clients too.
Pros
meals (if you work in residential)
Cons
management, 'clique' culture, only min wage
not very productive
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London10 May 2018
Supported services users in their day to day living, promoting independence.
Learnt what Autism is about
management were not very good
team work with the long term serving members of staff, new staff were not very helpful
long shifts, and being away from home for 3 days on the trot
working with long standing members of staff... good team work
Pros
you have to pay for your own meals
Cons
extremely long hours
Positive and passionate support workers
Registered Manager (Current Employee) –  Highbridge, Somerset6 May 2018
A good employer and a leading voice for people with autism and their families. Staff have an abundance of training especially autism specific.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing people we support making choices and positively working towards achieving these goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Autistic Society. Our community is ready to answer.