Nacro Employee Reviews

Not what it says on the tin
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Coventry, ENG7 June 2015
Having worked for many years within the criminal justice system i find it difficult to express how NACRO have managed to remain well thought of in high places and somehow make the head lines.To my knowledge during my 5 yrs employment there have been 3 restructures supposedly to improve the service ingeneral. I feel NACRO talk the talk but have little to no idea how to operate from the shop floor so to speak.D uring my period there was no evidence of managment or support and was left to it with colleagues to delver the scheme. This done very effectively may i add and was well respected within the coventry area.H aving lost the offender ex offender contract things have worsened and the majority of time is spent doing admin leaving very little time to support clients and complete inter agency work effectively.
Please be wary as the contract and job descriptions are deceptive and seem to change to suit the contract holders . 3 staff have recently left the project i. The last 6 weeks. You may ask why.
Pros
personal satisfaction supporting the client group
Cons
little to no management support, lack of fruitful supervision, contract and job description alters to suit, No team work, no support during tupe negotiations at contracts end
would give 0 stars if I could
Floating Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Coventry5 June 2015
I am surprised to read such positive reviews about Nacro. I think it does depend on which part of the country you work in, as my experience(in Coventry) is completely different. I just hope that people read this and head my warnings.
The issue has always been management, or rather lack of. for the first four years we didn't have one and then we had two within a year, both of who left the company less than 12 months in post. Ask yourself, why?
The only positive thing I can say is that working with offenders/ex offenders is a rewarding experience, I learnt so much from them and the days were always different and challenging.
However I would say that more and more of the job is doing administration and less and less about the clients. this due to an uneven ratio of computers to staff and again no management. We were given 3G tablets with no wi fi and little IT support in using them, not that they ever worked anyway. Stress levels were high. With having little to no management support, no senior, no guidance, no structure, no proper paperwork, no Health and safety...i could go on it was almost impossible to ensure a uniform way of working. The only thing that kept me going was the fact that I cared. In the end I had to put my own wellbeing first and moved on to pastures new.
Anyone who is looking at Coventry I strongly suggest you do some research into which company actually are the contract holders for homeless and ex offenders.
If you are thick skinned and looking for some experience working with offenders then this is the post for you. But don't think for a second
  more... that you will be supported or that hard work is acknowledged because it is not. I would not recommend this company. I hope this review is published because I wish someone had warned me. People are not always what they seem.  less
Pros
great client group
Cons
no teamwork, no management, no support, no supervision, never praised.
Great oppurtunity.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Boston, ENG17 December 2014
Wanted to work her to be able to make a change. Amazing staff with brilliant training. good core values and vision.
vey dedicated staff friendly and officiant
Volunteer Reception/Hostel Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ENG14 August 2014
my time with nacro was mainly spent supporting clients just out of prison and helping them to fine sort out benefit's and reintegrating back into society in a productive way and crime free way.
School.
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, ENG31 July 2014
Was fun at times they were delayed on weekly bursary alot and took the students for granted.
The teachers were really laid back and chilled although they always made sure we did our work, ofcourse i was never a problem.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Late Payments
voluntary
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  ENG7 May 2014
Nacro was fabulous organisation, it was outdoor fun, ie football, rounders, etc with young children teaching them how to be a team player and to enjoy the outdoors.
Good experience of young students with learning difficulties
Vehicle Mechanic trainer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, ENG13 March 2014
A typical day at work would be started at 08:15 with lessons planned and prepared ready to take the students through the subjects, this would be the ground work that they would use when given a placement in which the students get hands on experience in the working environment. It became apparent that some of the students were no where near the level expected of someone their age and they would not be able to read and write or concentrate on the lessons. Co-workers were very supportive and it was a pleasure to work with them. The hardest part of the job was to keep the student interest whilst trying to tutor them in mechanics. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how much the students improved during their time in the centre, students will come and thank you and this is a change from when they first arrive.
Pros
Seeing the students improve over the time they are attending the courses
Cons
Long hours short breaks
Productive and fun place to work.
Neighbourhood Worker (Former Employee) –  Maryport19 February 2014
Open up. Administration duties: filing, typing and reception work. Several days of week involved in opening, running and working with children in a playgroup,
Working with different people with varied cultures and ages helped me understand them better.
Pros
Learning how to start a business
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to complete all duties.
what you leanrned
Consultation assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall, ENG6 February 2014
interviewing household.
working as a team work and
good communication.
Trainer
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough3 January 2014
Throughout my time at NACRO I was head of projects at the Peterborough centre, where my main duties were training unemployed learners for City & Guilds qualifications within the construction industry, along with function & employment skills.

I was also responsible for reviewing and actioning individual learners needs on a monthly cycle, along with locating and monitoring field based placements. It was during this time I completed my teachers training certificate to which was unfortunately damaged, but have since completed my PTTLS qualification.
Busy and challenging
Study Programme Key Worker (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, ENG25 November 2013
Work in sessions with young people aged between 16 - 19 covering a range of issues.
Co-workers are a great support.
The young people are without doubt the best part of my job.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No career path
Trainee Bricklauer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham16 November 2013
I had to build walls and practice the basics of bricklaying. Learning the ways to lay mortar and also different wall bonds. The hardest part was learning how to do the different bonds on my wall.
Decent work colleagues, bad management, pay doesn't reflect workload, very high stress.
Foundation Learning Trainer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ENG23 September 2013
A typical day at work would involve; getting resources and lesson plans ready, then taking the learners to the workshop so that the learning can begin for the morning. I would
then deliver a session on motor vehicle for the duration of the morning then come back to the office for lunchtime. The learners would then go home for the day and I would have the rest of the afternoon to mark work, assess portfolios, create session plans and create resources for future lessons.

Whilst at Nacro I participated in a teaching qualification, which I achieved at level 3, I also took part in different training courses provided by the company such as, safeguarding, professional working practices, equality and diversity.

I worked with some good people, people I would like to work with again in the future if the opportunity should arrive. However I found the management side to be a bit of a farce, dealing with management was one of the hardest parts of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the young people.
Pros
Teaching qualification for free, free training courses
Cons
High stress, low pay, bad management
n/a
nacro (Former Employee) –  peterborough23 September 2013
It’s an easy days work but can get stressful at times, I have learned many skills as you will see from my CV, the management is very well organised and laid back. I get along with all my team members as we all have the same sense of humour. The worst part of my job would be cashing up at the end of the day, I enjoy being on the till as well as stocking the shelves.
Works well for some people
Trainee Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Oldbury, ENG15 August 2013
I have been attending now for several months and have learned a lot from the site but since the training is complete I am now finding it difficult as my placement is quiet
Pros
free bus pass if needed
Cons
little variety
not to bad
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oldbury, ENG3 August 2013
enjoyed working in a kitchen trainer was kind did everything he could to help and support me
Fairly good place to work.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool5 June 2013
Worked with a wide diversity of people (staff and trainees). Training offered included Equality & diversity, child Protection and Self Assessment training
Pros
Fairly local to my home
Cons
Can be a challenging environment
na
college (Former Employee) –  college9 April 2013
work experience i found was intresting and a great opportunity to learn new skills.
Busy envoirment, self motivation required.
Housing Infromation and Advice for Offenders (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford4 April 2013
In my role as a housing officer at Nacro, my duties are to provide advice, support and assist offenders at HMP Chelmsfrod, who have difficulties in accessing housing. I am responsible for arranging 1 to1 assessments, multi agencies and group sessions. This service offers offenders to obtain advice and information on tenancy, housing benefit and rent arrears issues.
Another responsibility that my role involves is rehabilition, focusing on what the agencies can offender upon release, this requires effective liasion with local and statory housing/agencies. This requires me to advocate on their behalf, either verbally or in writing. .
In order to benchmark how the service is working for offenders, I am required to accuratlely maintain and record Key Proformance Target on a monthly basis, which is monitored throughout the Eastern region for the Prison Service, whilst recording and updating Nacro statistics.
Pros
diverse client group.
Cons
restrictions within establishment.
rewarding and challenging
project worker (Current Employee) –  essex3 April 2013
My role as a project worker is very rewarding and challenging no day is the same i like to help where i can i am not able to plan too far ahead so i need to prioritise my work load.
Pros
benefits of being able to help others less fortunate than myself
Cons
no role is a 9-5 role