Nacro Employee Reviews

Support Worker
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire26 July 2016
A waste of time and effort! I did NOT learn anything and to be frank could learn more watching Jeremy Kyle. My immediate manager was fab however, there were always too many chiefs and no indians. An un-organised, penny pinching alternative to placing young people somewhere when nobody else wants them!

Avoid this organisation and go with another...... You will NOT learn anything there, no career progression and certainly no support from individuals.

If you are going to place young people somewhere at least have the gumption to teach them something in life!
Pros
Nil
Cons
Lots - We'll let you decide
A good employer to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool8 July 2016
I worked in Nacro for almost six years and although sometimes it was challenging, I enjoyed my job and was supported by my line managers. I have worked for several similar organisations and Nacro have probably been one of the best. I think all of the voluntary sector have had cuts and have had to adapt to change. Locally in the North West, Nacro did this well. Services were able to remain following restructures etc although it was a difficult time with job losses (including my own), moving buildings and low morale. I would recommend them as an employer.
Pros
Paid Lunch Breaks. Competitive Annual Leave. Working with good teams of people
Cons
Some internal systems were difficult to navigate, long winded, duplicated which was a waste of working hours at times.
Project Worker
Housing Project Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincoln1 July 2016
I would not urge any one in Lincs to work for them. Out of all my employment history and experience they are by far the worst going.. Management is slack, responses are slow, payments are up tp 3 months late for contractors and 3 Managers have resigned in the past month!!

Avoid at all costs .
Pros
Flexible with hours
Cons
management
student
Foundation Learner (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees19 June 2016
I enjoyed my time at NACRO I was able to learn a lot of new skill like how to plaster, brick lay, wallpaper and tile. while I was there I also done Maths, English and ICT to improve the grades I already had.
Pros
relaxed atmophear
Cons
a few distractions
hard workplace
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  Tynemouth19 May 2016
In this position I was responsible for working as a painter and decorator, I was responsible for measuring surface areas to work out how much paint or wall covering was required, stripping off old wallpaper or paint, ļ¬lling holes and cracks in order to level work surfaces, preparing surfaces with primer and undercoat as well as applying layers of paint, hanging wall paper and tidying up after finishing a job.
supportive and fun
Tutor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hartlepool10 May 2016
Each day is a different story working in this education environment. The senior management team are very supportive and always on hand for advice and support. Co-workers all work well as a team and support each other . Hardest part of the job is managing the huge variety of learner ages and achievement levels in one group offering multiple qualifications. Most enjoyable part of the job is supporting the achievement of learners .
Not much to say..
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Lambeth21 April 2016
Due to the circumstances I do not wish to say anything about Nacro, I joined them due too myself and fellow colleagues of my previous company coming to its end.. The passing over was not too pleasing.
Good place to work.
Senior Tutor and for nearly (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 March 2016
A good company to work for . there is plenty of scope for advancement through the company. the staff are worth their weight in gold, all very helpful and hard working.
Pros
Good hoilday entitlements
Challenging , rewarding
Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Stoke On Trent Staffordshire15 February 2016
The nature of the work could mean that your day may not go according to plan due to the diverse needs of the service users . Being flexible and able to adapt to the presenting situation is key in order to maintain the smooth running of the centre
The days followed structured timetables for the staff team and young people
Management structure is in place all available and approachable with clear lines of communication
Excellent on the ground team
Ensuring that all staff remained committed and motivated under what at times could be a very stressful environment
Supporting young people to achieve their objectives
Pros
Working weekdays 8 30 am - 5pm
Cons
Time spent having to complete paperwork much of which was duplicated
Don't Even Consider Working at this Place!
data processing (Former Employee) –  Sheffield5 January 2016
* a typical day at work = not at all typical, more like being beaten with a stick!
* what I leaned = keep your head down and NEVER challenge or you will have marked your cards.
* management = lower type, no management qualifications or training, no people skills, no idea of policy, equality etc, foul language. Upper management = poor to say the very least, tries to talk the talk but cannot do the walk, floundering and very insincere! Extremely poor judges of character.
* co-workers = some good, others suck up to management and are also very insincere and selfish.
* hardest part of the job = facing it every day!
* most enjoyable part of the job = close of day!
Pros
Karma will prevail of that I am certain
Cons
Everything is SO wrong
Very good employer
Information Advice and Guidance Worker (Former Employee) –  Guildford3 November 2015
It is very satisfying to be working in the local community and raising funding to help others is a challenging and worthwhile thing to do.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Too short contracts
Bad company to work for, poorly organised, no training provided
Catering trainer (sessional) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield31 October 2015
Rewarding experience working with the kids, unfortunately that is the only positive thing I can think of to say.
The kitchen is very poorly equipped for the amount of students, very little training was given, no feedback from management on how I performed in my role, was misled as to when the job may become permanent, poor pay.
Center itself was rundown and dilapidated.
The center was under staffed, however staff were frequently taken out to go and work at NACRO Doncaster despite cover being available from another branch. Staff frequently having to cover areas outside of their vocational expertise, which was no good to the students.

The senior management was non existent. One member of staff commented that you would get more sense out of the kitchen bin than form the area manager. Other areas of NACRO were exceptionally inefficient notably payroll, it was a struggle just to get paid correctly and on time.

I would not recommend working for this company. The only benefit would be to gain experience to get a job elsewhere.
Pros
free lunch, friendly staff
Cons
lack of management and organisation
Interesting and fun
Student support and teaching assitant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG14 October 2015
Nacro has a great atmosphere for both staff and students.
they have a few different lessons in Nacro, for instance motor vehicles, animal care, child care, DIY and employability.

all of the staff are pleasant and lovely to work with.
Pros
all of the hands on experience
A place that makes students and staff feel at home
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, ENG7 October 2015
Variety of different tasks - no two days the same. Most of the staff are volunteers, so no set pay. The most enjoyable part is seeing the difference the company makes to peoples' lives. The hardest part is the journey I have to travel to get from Colchester to the building.
Pros
Mix of duties and responsibilities
Cons
Long journey
Good place to volunteer/work
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Barrow in furness28 September 2015
I volunteered at NACRO and found it very good to volunteer with as the staff were really nice and very freindly, and just an overall really good place!
Team manager
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire30 August 2015
Poor senior management team who lead by bad examples, dismiss staff suggestions and give little support to anyone.

Most teachers are not qualified.
Pros
Work life balance however this only applies if you work in management
Cons
Poor senior management team who lead by bad examples
Hard working individual with many transferable skills
Project manager (Former Employee) –  Rhyl North Wales4 August 2015
See attached C.V. Worked as a project worker on a landscape/gardening ILM funded by the Welsh Assembly Government. This included supervising young vulnerable people, with a view to enhancing their employment prospects.
The job can be flexible,. However, the service is mainly service driven priority, Little room for staff being valued,
Project Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ENG26 July 2015
The job can be flexible. However, the service is mainly service driven priority. Little room for staff being valued. Picked up some bad habits of non transparency. Experienced some nepotism - many hats to wear in terms of roles....
Positives No weekends, Paid lunch. Just had a new team leader above senior staff. oh yes join the Union asap! BIRMINGHAM
Pros
Paid Lunch, Flexible
Cons
service is mainly service driven priority, Little room for staff being valued, Nacro has Picked up some bad habits of non transparency, Experienced some nepotism, many hats to wear in terms of roles
Rewarding to work for
Doncaster Centre Manager (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, ENG25 July 2015
Some very rewarding aspects of working for the organisation and some excellent colleagues. Let down by constant changes in staff and little expertise in right areas
Poorly managed/ no supprt for teaching staff/ health and safety risks
Teacher/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Bracknell, ENG3 July 2015
I worked with some very dedicated caring people on the front line. Management, what there was was a completely separate issue, non existant, hiding away and compiling numbers. That is what Nacro has become,an exercise for managements to form fill in order to secure funding. I worked with colleagues in near Dickensian conditions, no hot water, no rest area, no decent washing facilities, toilets shared with another company on site, no adequate vetillaton and more dust than you could imagine, even in the class room. Never did I hear our learners mentioned at 'management staff meetings' It was all funding funding funding. We , my colleagues and I sourced materials and safety wear to save Nacro money, worked beyond our hours....thanks ...none.A very questionable organisation, not a charity in my view, a business with very well paid senior management at the expense of those dedicated stressed out foot soldiers trying to turn lives around. Not really worth a star.
Pros
Client base
Cons
Chaotic/non management/ no Health and Safety support