Nacro Employee Reviews

Lovely place to be
Project Manger (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 April 2018
A really nice place to work- with many passionate and committed people. Very inspiring. The people across the organisation go over and above on a daily basis.
8 January 2019

Thank you for such positive comments about the organisation. I'm really pleased to hear you feel staff go above and beyond.

Fun work place
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire31 March 2018
Fun work place for young adults and children just out of school to learn to become a mechanic , The boss for very nice and helped you if you struggled to do anything
Pros
Good laugh
Cons
£40 a week when trying to support family
8 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback it is much appreciated.

Fun work place
Animal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 March 2018
It's fun but not enough money to live on when I'm at work I clean feed bath medicate health check and lots of other thing you meet some lovely people aswell
Pros
Bursey
Cons
Not enough hours, cash
8 January 2019

Thank you for giving your honest feedback it is much appreciated.

Hoousing Advisor (Current Employee) –  Margate21 November 2017
Good employer. Good management. Interesting work and forward looking approach to work life balance. I would definitely recommend them as an employer.
Never a dull moment.
House Manager/Project worker (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford28 October 2017
Every day would involve new challenges, not just with the YP we were helping but with new management and new ideas to be put into action asap. My day would start by reading the night log security filled in throughout their shift and any "problems" would be discussed amongst staff and after contacting the YP concerned actions would be put in place.. All yp booked in that day in my diary would be visited in their shared homes in the community.. During visits to their homes letters would be posted under their doors if not at home advising of date & time of next house meeting or health & safety check or fire checks or
repairs to be carried out etc. All YP had access to my work mobile phone number and felt they could call me with any issues that may be causing them concern. When back at the office all visits would be written up in reports. All action plans updated as well as various other
paperwork filed . Phonecalls to local agencies for updates and discussions on behalf of YP . Meetings to be attended with YP and sometimes families in attendance. All action to be updated in files. Time spent with YP who have just called into office for a chat but usually find something worrying the YP and discuss issue and make further appointment to spend more time with YP to get a solution to whatever issue may be. Important the YP has confidence in me as a project worker to help "solve" any outstanding issues. I find just listening plays a big part in letting YP "get things off their chests". The workplace culture has always been quite positive but since new management and re structure of
  more... employees it is still positive but looking more to obtaining Balance in all work aspects. Including seeking Balance with the YP i work with and explaining the importance/benefits of obtaining this in life.
The hardest part of my job is realising there are too many YP needing help and not enough resources and not enough people who genuinely want to help or even care. The best part was working for an organisation who do care, and the YP i have helped and they finish their resettlement programme and have the tools to live independently and confidently, i give myself a pat on the back and know thats now one more YP who has a much better chance at this thing called "life".
Pros
mileage paid for journeys to properties.
Cons
travelling to hones in community, long waiting list for supported housing, more desk space needed.
Rewarding
Project worker (Former Employee) –  Sheffield22 October 2017
A company that strives to make a difference in people's lives, giving them the opportunity to change their life, offering different support and learning opportunities.
Pros
Rewarding and fun
Cons
Funding based to worry of redundancy
Hardworking, flexible and good internal services
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham12 August 2017
A typical day at work starts with cheerful early morning greetings, coffee, turn on computer and start.
Learn that no two days are the same, which make its challenging and rewarding.
Management operate open door access, will always provide assistance when needed, but allow you to shine.
Workplace culture is hard working, rewarding and at times fun.
The hardest part of the job is keeping motivation going, enojoyable is achieving
Pros
Good holidays
Great college
Animal Care (Current Employee) –  Byker, Tyne and Wear26 July 2017
Nacro is a brilliant place to start out, would recommend anyone there, they help you with anything cv, grades etc. Get to work with the animals whilst boosting your grades up.
Excellent employer
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside16 June 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Nacro working with young people, it was my first role within sports development . Although it was a very challenging environment it was very rewarding and enthused me to continue in this area.
Pros
excellent team of staff
Cons
salary
Reputation and teamwork
Floating Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside14 June 2017
The working day flies by, no day is the same therefore I'm never bored by repetitive or mundane tasks.
The work is challenging , because the need to engage a client in order to deliver our service, is not always easy .This is because of the clients varying needs and issues.
I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge.

Management in general is supportive and approachable.
Although there are always exceptions to the rule.
I personally have never had any issues. I think this is because I respect the position of the person, rather than the personality.

The workplace culture is respectful and non judgmental.
Some of our staff are rehabilitated addicts and offenders.
I believe that their personal knowledge and experience , is invaluable to some of our client groups support delivery.

The hardest part of the job is switching off at the end of the working day. Some clients especially those with children who are in child protection, tend to occupy my thoughts more than other client groups.
I think this is because I have a duty of care toward the children, even though I don't work directly with the childrent.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to empower the client to sustain their tenancy, budget effectively and access services when needed. To be confident and independent.
I suppose it's also the clients most enjoyable part of the job .
Pros
Quite flexible working hours
Cons
Updating training
Worst place I have ever worked
Tutor (Former Employee) –  North East13 May 2017
Horrible place to work. Centre management were great but couldn't do their job without any support or equipment. Area manager was a waste of space. Disgusting environment - would not ever pass a health and safety inspection! Leaking roofs, roof tiles continually falling off; always freezing... absolute dump!
Senior management do not care at all and treat people terribly.
Never again.
Absolute waste of time, the entire company is a joke and do not care about vulnerable young people; only the money attached to them!
Pros
Cons
Management, dirty unsafe environment, co-worker, learners
student
Student (Former Employee) –  Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, UK4 March 2017
going to nacro is a good opportunity for young people to learn about different things when they choose a course they want to do. Ive gained lots of skills at my time at nacro.
Pros
good college
Cons
not alot of hours
all the great people you meet
Project worker/project manager (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire17 February 2017
my typical day is to provide safe, fun, exciting place where kids ranging from 8 to 18 can come play sports in areas where they wouldn't have the resources to do so. our main aim is to give kids of all ages something exciting to do to try and reduce the youth crime in the area. I've learned so much on how to best approach people who have concerns with their wellbeing, new ideas to help the community or simply wish to volunteer. The workplace was always different as we moved around so we can use our resources where ever needed. my hardest part was to communicate to the younger kids as they were not always wanting to talk. however the best part was when they see us for what we do they eventually open up to us and they join in with great big happy faces.
Pros
people of all ages
Exciting Oppitunity
Project Worker (Former Employee) –  Denbighshire26 January 2017
I worked for many years at NACRO and it always was a fast paced job that was forever presenting with challenges and opportunities however the high pressure and demands of the job without the support of your colleages or managment can be a struggle and unfortunately lead to stress that needed to be managed with medication and without the support at work i had no choice but to leave
Pros
Training Opportunities, Challenging enviroment, fast paced
Cons
high case loads, sometimes ill managed
Poor management
Reducing reoffending officer (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire4 January 2017
Management is not great but i guess they are working on trying to improve things in the years ahead. There are lots of areas within Nacro were they lack communication
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Birmingham8 November 2016
Bad Management making bad decisions
Managers don't listen to staff
Too many managers, and not enough normal everyday staff
The work the charity does is a really heartfelt cause by the project workers, management just appear to be there for the money
say they Invest in People, no they don't
Pros
Cons
Bad Management making bad decisions
Storeman work experience course.
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Havant4 November 2016
I worked at NACRO in Havant for 18 months on a work experience course, which was very enjoyable, but at times it was very quiet. I was also doing placement with a local removals Co. based in Havant which I thoroughly enjoyed.
The placement did not interfere with my storeman's course in any way as it was mainly during the quiet periods at NACRO.
When the course was completed I didn't receive any certificates or course completion paperwork.

The location was also used for other courses, eg office work, painting & decorating, gardening.

The centre has now closed and has been demolished for development.
Pros
Travel costs were paid for. Staff very helpful & friendly.
Cons
Quite a drag to get to, no meals provided.
productive fun work place
Student (Current Employee) –  Oldbury1 November 2016
nacro is a good productive company that helps find employment in various subjects and helps students take a step further .
Nice working environment
Project Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nottingham7 September 2016
Great team spirit, staff are very lovely and the management team very supportive in all areas. good training provided.
Support Worker
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire26 July 2016
A waste of time and effort! I did NOT learn anything and to be frank could learn more watching Jeremy Kyle. My immediate manager was fab however, there were always too many chiefs and no indians. An un-organised, penny pinching alternative to placing young people somewhere when nobody else wants them!

Avoid this organisation and go with another...... You will NOT learn anything there, no career progression and certainly no support from individuals.

If you are going to place young people somewhere at least have the gumption to teach them something in life!
Pros
Nil
Cons
Lots - We'll let you decide