Nacro Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Avoid ....run the other way
Housing Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear1 October 2019
It had support in my title...what a cheek! I was housing something but not support, no they don't give you time to engage with folk to offer support even when people need it! Induction is a laugh you are told no lone working till you have seen everyone with someone for safety reasons ...then they are short and yeah it's safe for you to meet anyone! Shown once how to use system and expected to log stuff.
19 November 2019

Hi,

I am really shocked to hear of your experience with us especially from a lone working perspective as, as I am sure you will agree there is much emphasis at the organisation on the safeguarding of both our service users and employees. You mention your induction and during this you will have received mandatory face to face Safeguarding Training from one of our designated Safeguarding Officers as well as the completion of online Safeguarding training which is again mandatory for all employees. We also have a rigorous lone working policy which should be adhered to at all times.

With regards to the use of the systems and your lack of training I hope this is something you raised with your line manager at the time?

I am also surprised to hear that we didn't provide you with the time to appropriately support our service users and would really like to speak to you with regards to this so we can ensure that if this is an issue it is addressed immediately, as our service users are the sole reason we exist as a charity and therefore I really want to know if this is not the case so I can raise at the appropriate level and redress the balance.

If you would like to discuss your comments in more detail please contact the HR Department and ask for the Recruitment Manager.

Kind regards

Terrible place to work
Floating Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire17 June 2019
Awful management didn't even know workers were not going out to see clients. Not bothered no training no supervision. Making money out of vulnerable people. Blame culture overall I wouldn't contract with them again.
Pros
Left alone
19 November 2019

I am saddened to see this review as this does not sound at all positive, however I would like provide a response to some of the points you have made.

With regards to training, all employees are provided with mandatory training on areas such as safeguarding, health and safety etc and supervision is also mandatory and should take place every 4 to 6 weeks.

With regards to your comment about making money out of vulnerable people we are a not for profit organisation whose sole purpose is to support our servicer users as they are the very reason we exist.

Never work for them.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire3 May 2018
Absolutely appalling organisation. No induction or training programme. Vary much thrown in at the deep end and its sink or swim time. Management are completely out of touch with what is going on and offer no support at all. Asked to work over and above my rota for little or no thanks.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours. No management. No Induction. No training.
8 January 2019

I am extremely sorry to hear of your experience of Nacro. Pleased be assured this is not a culture we wish to foster. We have a Corporate Induction Programme in place and are currently working on improving our local inductions to ensure all new starters receive a positive experience when joining us.

Reputation and teamwork
Floating Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside14 June 2017
The working day flies by, no day is the same therefore I'm never bored by repetitive or mundane tasks.
The work is challenging , because the need to engage a client in order to deliver our service, is not always easy .This is because of the clients varying needs and issues.
I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge.

Management in general is supportive and approachable.
Although there are always exceptions to the rule.
I personally have never had any issues. I think this is because I respect the position of the person, rather than the personality.

The workplace culture is respectful and non judgmental.
Some of our staff are rehabilitated addicts and offenders.
I believe that their personal knowledge and experience , is invaluable to some of our client groups support delivery.

The hardest part of the job is switching off at the end of the working day. Some clients especially those with children who are in child protection, tend to occupy my thoughts more than other client groups.
I think this is because I have a duty of care toward the children, even though I don't work directly with the childrent.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to empower the client to sustain their tenancy, budget effectively and access services when needed. To be confident and independent.
I suppose it's also the clients most enjoyable part of the job .
Pros
Quite flexible working hours
Cons
Updating training
Nice working environment
Project Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nottingham7 September 2016
Great team spirit, staff are very lovely and the management team very supportive in all areas. good training provided.
Support Worker
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lincolnshire26 July 2016
A waste of time and effort! I did NOT learn anything and to be frank could learn more watching Jeremy Kyle. My immediate manager was fab however, there were always too many chiefs and no indians. An un-organised, penny pinching alternative to placing young people somewhere when nobody else wants them!

Avoid this organisation and go with another...... You will NOT learn anything there, no career progression and certainly no support from individuals.

If you are going to place young people somewhere at least have the gumption to teach them something in life!
Pros
Nil
Cons
Lots - We'll let you decide
Not what it says on the tin
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Coventry, ENG7 June 2015
Having worked for many years within the criminal justice system i find it difficult to express how NACRO have managed to remain well thought of in high places and somehow make the head lines.To my knowledge during my 5 yrs employment there have been 3 restructures supposedly to improve the service ingeneral. I feel NACRO talk the talk but have little to no idea how to operate from the shop floor so to speak.D uring my period there was no evidence of managment or support and was left to it with colleagues to delver the scheme. This done very effectively may i add and was well respected within the coventry area.H aving lost the offender ex offender contract things have worsened and the majority of time is spent doing admin leaving very little time to support clients and complete inter agency work effectively.
Please be wary as the contract and job descriptions are deceptive and seem to change to suit the contract holders . 3 staff have recently left the project i. The last 6 weeks. You may ask why.
Pros
personal satisfaction supporting the client group
Cons
little to no management support, lack of fruitful supervision, contract and job description alters to suit, No team work, no support during tupe negotiations at contracts end
would give 0 stars if I could
Floating Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Coventry5 June 2015
I am surprised to read such positive reviews about Nacro. I think it does depend on which part of the country you work in, as my experience(in Coventry) is completely different. I just hope that people read this and head my warnings.
The issue has always been management, or rather lack of. for the first four years we didn't have one and then we had two within a year, both of who left the company less than 12 months in post. Ask yourself, why?
The only positive thing I can say is that working with offenders/ex offenders is a rewarding experience, I learnt so much from them and the days were always different and challenging.
However I would say that more and more of the job is doing administration and less and less about the clients. this due to an uneven ratio of computers to staff and again no management. We were given 3G tablets with no wi fi and little IT support in using them, not that they ever worked anyway. Stress levels were high. With having little to no management support, no senior, no guidance, no structure, no proper paperwork, no Health and safety...i could go on it was almost impossible to ensure a uniform way of working. The only thing that kept me going was the fact that I cared. In the end I had to put my own wellbeing first and moved on to pastures new.
Anyone who is looking at Coventry I strongly suggest you do some research into which company actually are the contract holders for homeless and ex offenders.
If you are thick skinned and looking for some experience working with offenders then this is the post for you. But don't think for a second
  more... that you will be supported or that hard work is acknowledged because it is not. I would not recommend this company. I hope this review is published because I wish someone had warned me. People are not always what they seem.  less
Pros
great client group
Cons
no teamwork, no management, no support, no supervision, never praised.