Myerscough College

Myerscough College Employee Reviews

Supporting high needs students with foundation level studies was both rewarding and challenging at the same time. The farm setting often helped the students to make progress.
I can't speak for all departments, but here is my experience. The job/life balance is good but in my department we had to work weekends on a rota basis which could be a pain if short on staff. The salary awful, and employees across all departments can agree on that. I can't believe they can get away with paying minimum wage on a job that requires a skill and qualifications. Job security was good but in my department they only seemed to hire/advance people who had been students there or those who had been there the longest, regardless of suitability for the role. There was no communication in the team, management were unapproachable and didn't deal with issues properly. Progress reviews often late or just didn't happen. I had to ask repeatedly for a progress review so that HR would pass my probation. The job culture was horrible, culture of doing things the quickest and easiest rather than proper. Very cliquey.
A great varied job but a lot is expected of you as an assistant. Always seem to be short staffed and not always much structure so need to use own initiative.
Can be a very rewarding job and working with the students is the best part of the job but the pressure from the management ruins the experience. The pressure from management and the amount of system changing that they do makes the job very stressful. You are expected to go above and beyond your required role. they have
Nice place to work, friendly staff, lots to do and lots of training, only downside is its a little unorganised and not always enough time to do all required paperwork.
the job i was offered was not the job i am currently working as i am expected to do way more than my pay grade. i have received little to no training in my job role and struggle on a daily basis getting clear instruction and actions from the superiors.
I used to work at Myerscough as an Arb tutor for apprentices for just under 3 years. CPD was good and they allowed me to complete a few necessary courses in house. There is some really nice staff and managers that really do try and help a lot of staff and learners but there's also some that aren't so nice. Quite demanding in terms of productivity and scrutiny. Expect the odd dramatic email late at night whilst sat with your family and kids. Wouldn't say it was a bad place to work but I'd probably not recommend a job there to someone I liked. Also, if I recall correctly they stopped all annual payment increases.
good learning environment I learned how to care for many animals and how to prioritize I enjoyed learning new things and challenging my self and I enjoyed working with the other pupils and tutors
All emplyees were fun and easy to work with. This made working at Myerscough college were easy. All responsibilities were thoroughly explained and all staff were approachable.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Myerscough College?
I always enjoy working for the college but we really need better facilities and modern machine and our own shed or workshop. I enjoy working for the college and I'm also a residential warden during the week and I enjoy talking to the students and hearing how there courses are going. I have very good working relationships with my team and other members of staff. If we could have new machines and our own building then I would never complain again about the facilities. Thank you
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lots of stress and pressure and no where proper to store machines
Working as an Event Steward, we would help orchestrate all participants and liase between judges and contestants to ensure people arrive and participate on time in accordance with the event layout and timings. Professional standard competition. I learned how to ensure health and safety in a very engaging and dangerous environment due to the horses all being in the same area. Organisation Of an elite event, and how they work. work place culture was very similar to college, with large teams and diverse groups, very social when taking into account participants also. I didn't particularly find it hard, some events would however mean 18 hour days. I really enjoyed the professional conduct of the elite events and the social aspects of meeting competitors as well as professional judges and riders.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Not really my favoured sport.
Since starting at Myerscough college I have learnt leadership skills, communication skills but most importantly I have learnt that having fun at work is very important. Myerscough has given me some of the best moments of my life and all of that is down to a close knit, small team of people that managed to make work enjoyable everyday.
Pros
Discounted livery
Cons
Long hours and no overtime
I like working with the staff at myerscough college in sport turf , the hardest part of the job was changing the holes on golf course and marking the line on football pitch
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
N/a
Poor wages Poor staff development and retention No opportunities to further career Horrendous middle management Very poor moral due to previous management that have moved on after causing significant difficulties Poor communication. Extreme politics between staff members.
Pros
Staff with same job as you are helpful. Have a 'all in this together' mentality.
Cons
Too many
Changes in goverment requirements for apprecticeships, require cut backs, and travelling time to the work place doesnt allow enough time to be spent with the learner.
I have achieved a level 1 and a level 2 after studying here and am currently working towards a level 3. Which is the equivalent to an A level. At Myerscough it is good to have a can do, positive attitude, the practical activities require a fair amount of effort and energy, they include cleaning out the animals enclosures, feeding and watering the animals, and considering animal welfare. During the rest of the week we have lectures on the different modules in animal care, this works us up to our exams. Overall, Myerscough is a really pleasant and enjoyable place to study and grow and would recommend it to anyone of any age.
Pros
Student discount in cafe
Cons
I loved working at myerscough college. The staff are so friendly and helpful, the horses are fab to work with. No day is the same. All yard jobs needed to be complete within a time frame but its not difficult to accomplish. Everyone is fun to be with and everyone has a laugh.
Pros
long lunch hour
Cons
outside in the british weather (i., e RAIN!)
At the college every week was a chance to work at a different station working with different animals say, one week you could be working with poison dart frogs to working with an alpaca or with poultry or even common mynah birds there is a huge variety of animals you get to take care of which can widen your experience with them giving you lots of job opportunities in the future it can also give you chance to get over a fear of one animal in particular in which the tutors are fantastic at helping you with and will take it as slow as you need like snakes or insects or even rabbits or goats. The hardest part is not having everyday to work with the animals and also you don't get to chose which section you work at. You feed water the animals clean out their inclosures and health checking them to make sure they're in good health. The most enjoyable part is getting to cuddle or play with the animal after you have done everything you needed to do.
Pros
Opportunities to work with a wide variety of animals
Cons
Working with animals you may have a fear of or aren't keen on
I worked at Myerscough College for three years while I was a student studying equine management and development (BA) I had three positions overall in catering, on stable yard in the equine department and in housekeeping. Overall I had a very pleasant experience working with highly motivated and skilled professionals. I was encouraged to take more exams to boost my career and the support to learn more was available whenever I needed it. I spent most of my time working on the stable yard with a fantastic team. I was sad to leave it all behind when I completed my degree.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Student engagement, financial management.
it is a good college and helps you learn new things and have plenty of work experience and the college has a good reputation. it's university is the top 10 in the uk including the likes of Cambridge or Eton, harrow etc. .
Pros
free lunches and nice enviroment.
Cons
finance
Being just a student meant that there was obviously no pay. Through my course I was able to learn a lot about the chosen subject and had the privilege to work alongside great mentors. Overall good place to study.
Pros
Great atmosphere and staff.
Cons
Distance from home.
  1. Employee reviews