Myerscough College Employee Reviews

fun workplace but very unsecure and cannot communicate well.
none (Current Employee) –  Garstang21 August 2019
the job i was offered was not the job i am currently working as i am expected to do way more than my pay grade. i have received little to no training in my job role and struggle on a daily basis getting clear instruction and actions from the superiors.
Tutor
Arb Tutor (Former Employee) –  Preston26 June 2019
I used to work at Myerscough as an Arb tutor for apprentices for just under 3 years.

CPD was good and they allowed me to complete a few necessary courses in house.

There is some really nice staff and managers that really do try and help a lot of staff and learners but there's also some that aren't so nice.

Quite demanding in terms of productivity and scrutiny. Expect the odd dramatic email late at night whilst sat with your family and kids.

Wouldn't say it was a bad place to work but I'd probably not recommend a job there to someone I liked.

Also, if I recall correctly they stopped all annual payment increases.
good learning environment
student (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire4 May 2019
good learning environment
I learned how to care for many animals and how to prioritize
I enjoyed learning new things and challenging my self
and I enjoyed working with the other pupils and tutors
Fun and great team to work with
Apprentice Greenkeeper (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire10 December 2018
I always enjoy working for the college but we really need better facilities and modern machine and our own shed or workshop. I enjoy working for the college and I'm also a residential warden during the week and I enjoy talking to the students and hearing how there courses are going. I have very good working relationships with my team and other members of staff. If we could have new machines and our own building then I would never complain again about the facilities.

Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lots of stress and pressure and no where proper to store machines
Fast Paced and Organised
Events Steward (Former Employee) –  Billsborough14 May 2018
Working as an Event Steward, we would help orchestrate all participants and liase between judges and contestants to ensure people arrive and participate on time in accordance with the event layout and timings.
Professional standard competition. I learned how to ensure health and safety in a very engaging and dangerous environment due to the horses all being in the same area. Organisation Of an elite event, and how they work.
work place culture was very similar to college, with large teams and diverse groups, very social when taking into account participants also.
I didn't particularly find it hard, some events would however mean 18 hour days.
I really enjoyed the professional conduct of the elite events and the social aspects of meeting competitors as well as professional judges and riders.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Not really my favoured sport.
A fun place to work
Livery Yard Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston3 May 2018
Since starting at Myerscough college I have learnt leadership skills, communication skills but most importantly I have learnt that having fun at work is very important. Myerscough has given me some of the best moments of my life and all of that is down to a close knit, small team of people that managed to make work enjoyable everyday.
Pros
Discounted livery
Cons
Long hours and no overtime
Fun workplacent
Assistant Course Management Training (Former Employee) –  Preston9 March 2018
I like working with the staff at myerscough college in sport turf , the hardest part of the job was changing the holes on golf course and marking the line on football pitch
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
N/a
Less than average
Work-based Learning (Current Employee) –  Preston1 March 2018
Poor wages
Poor staff development and retention
No opportunities to further career
Horrendous middle management
Very poor moral due to previous management that have moved on after causing significant difficulties
Poor communication.
Extreme politics between staff members.
Pros
Staff with same job as you are helpful. Have a 'all in this together' mentality.
Cons
Too many
Good Support staff
Work based/Apprenticeship tutor (Former Employee) –  North West19 February 2018
Changes in goverment requirements for apprecticeships, require cut backs, and travelling time to the work place doesnt allow enough time to be spent with the learner.
Outdoors and enjoyable.
College Student (Current Employee) –  Liverpool30 January 2018
I have achieved a level 1 and a level 2 after studying here and am currently working towards a level 3. Which is the equivalent to an A level. At Myerscough it is good to have a can do, positive attitude, the practical activities require a fair amount of effort and energy, they include cleaning out the animals enclosures, feeding and watering the animals, and considering animal welfare. During the rest of the week we have lectures on the different modules in animal care, this works us up to our exams. Overall, Myerscough is a really pleasant and enjoyable place to study and grow and would recommend it to anyone of any age.
Pros
Student discount in cafe
Productive and Fun Workplace
Yard Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston26 September 2017
I loved working at myerscough college. The staff are so friendly and helpful, the horses are fab to work with. No day is the same. All yard jobs needed to be complete within a time frame but its not difficult to accomplish. Everyone is fun to be with and everyone has a laugh.
Pros
long lunch hour
Cons
outside in the british weather (i., e RAIN!)
Great array of animals, great opportunity to learn
All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Preston14 September 2017
At the college every week was a chance to work at a different station working with different animals say, one week you could be working with poison dart frogs to working with an alpaca or with poultry or even common mynah birds there is a huge variety of animals you get to take care of which can widen your experience with them giving you lots of job opportunities in the future it can also give you chance to get over a fear of one animal in particular in which the tutors are fantastic at helping you with and will take it as slow as you need like snakes or insects or even rabbits or goats. The hardest part is not having everyday to work with the animals and also you don't get to chose which section you work at. You feed water the animals clean out their inclosures and health checking them to make sure they're in good health. The most enjoyable part is getting to cuddle or play with the animal after you have done everything you needed to do.
Pros
Opportunities to work with a wide variety of animals
Cons
Working with animals you may have a fear of or aren't keen on
As a casual member of staff I highly recommend Myerscough College as a work place
Groom (Former Employee) –  Preston26 August 2017
I worked at Myerscough College for three years while I was a student studying equine management and development (BA) I had three positions overall in catering, on stable yard in the equine department and in housekeeping. Overall I had a very pleasant experience working with highly motivated and skilled professionals. I was encouraged to take more exams to boost my career and the support to learn more was available whenever I needed it. I spent most of my time working on the stable yard with a fantastic team. I was sad to leave it all behind when I completed my degree.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Student engagement, financial management.
fun place to learn
Student (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire4 August 2017
it is a good college and helps you learn new things and have plenty of work experience and the college has a good reputation. it's university is the top 10 in the uk including the likes of Cambridge or Eton, harrow etc. .
Pros
free lunches and nice enviroment.
Cons
finance
Helpful Learning Curve
Student (Former Employee) –  Preston26 April 2017
Being just a student meant that there was obviously no pay. Through my course I was able to learn a lot about the chosen subject and had the privilege to work alongside great mentors. Overall good place to study.
Pros
Great atmosphere and staff.
Cons
Distance from home.
Great place to learn
Student (Former Employee) –  Billsborrow15 March 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Myerscough College, I gained my diploma in Equine Management here over a 2 year course.

The course consisted of various modules including rehabilitation, stable management, fitness and diet and breeding.

I really enjoyed attending the stud farm one day a week for work experience.
Pros
On site canteen
Cons
I lived an hours drive away from the college
fun to work there
Dog grooming instructor (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire7 March 2017
Loved working at the college and teaching was fantastic I love
To learn and helping others to learn and a lot of my students
are in the industry now and I'm very proud of what I achieved.
Pros
teaching
Ewuine
Stable Hand/Groom (Former Employee) –  Preston8 November 2016
This was my work placement that tied into my course at the time. The staff were efficient and i felt able to ask if i needed help. I learnt many skills do with the equine world.
Positive place to be
Assistant Head of Department (Sport) (Former Employee) –  Preston, ENG1 July 2015
Good to work here and there's a great team of managers who are honest and forthright with their expectations of staff. Toughest part was balancing the management of two satellite centres with linking in to the main campus but this got easier with experience. The enjoyment of the job was the ability to make a tangible difference to the lives of young people without the often unnecessary thumb-twirling of meetings to make small amendments to the student culture. A great place to work and would recommend it highly.
Pros
Friendly, positive atmosphere, good ethos
Cons
Salaries are in line with land-based FECs which are not the highest
A friendly and supportive workplace
Advanced Teaching Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Liverpool30 June 2015
Rewarded for hard work. Supportive management with excellent prospects for progression. Some excellent CPD put in place for individual development.