Mountain Warehouse

Mountain Warehouse Employee Reviews

United Kingdom189 reviews
Hard, demanding and unsustainable
Keep costs low, low staff.
Never sure if the stire will stay open, constant closing down sales.

Expected to work 55 hours per week for 39 hours pay

Would avoid 100%
A good first job but wouldn’t ever be anything more
Was a very good first job for me and my needs, but could never see it developing into a career or anything more than a part time job. Was a good family type atmosphere among employees with a lot of different tasks to do, each day was different and I was able to help customers find what they need which was rewarding as an employee.

However...

I was only on a few hours a week but was called in at short notice on a very regular basis, finding work/life/studying balance was difficult. Head office never seemed to align with the store, was sent in far too much stock and questions asked when the stock wasn’t all shifted. Store was in desperate need of re-plan and refit but never happened, made working there a lot more difficult and like we in the store didn’t matter to head office notice very often,
Dont work for them
They make you do a lot for nothing. £4 an hour is not enough for what you have to do. On your feet for 4 hours straight, only then do you get a lunch for 30 min which is interrupted by asking you to come back to work early.
Very good
work life balance very good not very stressful if you keep on top of the workload benefits not bad but salary is very poor considering the cost price of the products
Poor conflict management
Generally a normal retail workflow until internal conflict occurred which was always badly handled. Staff turnover was quick, not unusual, but when longer term staff began to engage in out of work socialising it turned sour.
Average
The team there are fun to work with but can sometimes can be difficult. Also trying to sort days off (holidays) is a bit of a challenge cause they don't really explain whats happening.
Pros
Fun, relaxing start to work and nice staff
Cons
Sometimes difficult to work with, hard to ask for days off
A happy experience working here
Mountain Warehouse is the best retail company I’ve worked for, from day one I’ve felt fully supported by a friendly team and by a kind manager who leads by example. We all work together towards targets, which is expected in any retail job and has not come as a surprise, but I have never felt pressured or been told off if I personally don’t meet a target. We share the tasks (such as delivery and price changes) fairly and everyone chips in to help because we are a team! Usually we accomplish tasks in a relaxed way, getting things done effectively but without feeling stressed about it. Occasionally the workload increases but this is balanced by quieter times in the day as well. Overall it is not too demanding. And of course we always make sure to give our customers proper attention, always pausing tasks to help them as needed. There is adequate training about the products and you can familiarise yourself with them by looking at them online before your interview. They give you an allowance for uniform which I like as you get to pick what you want to wear. We are a dog friendly store which I also like as seeing a smiley dog with a waggy tail always brightens up my day!
Pros
Extra hours available, great discount, friendly team, relaxed atmosphere, free uniforms
Cons
Some routine tasks, sometimes hearing the same songs, tired legs at the end of the day
Easy work
easy work for minimum pay
Very repetitive

No help from higher management

Little room for progression unless favourited

Head office can’t Organise a party in a brewery as promos are always messed up,altered after everything is launched, changed at the last minute and announced last minute
Mountain warehouse
Great company to work for encouragement of the staff to progress at times workload comes in too fast but always evolving always get information about the daily tasks weekly promotions and kept up to daye with the company
Fine
I could deal with customer complaints calmly and busy times during the day, the only complaint I had was the pay per hour which was pretty little compared to what everything was sold for in store.
Enjoyable 1st year here
I have a great manager who recognises people's strengths n maximises then while giving opportunity to grow, upper levels of management need to be doing same for store managers. Too many price changes, down on tues, down again on Thurs, wasting time n resources, too much card just being thrown away!
Pros
Extra hours when people on holiday or off sick. Very good staff discount
Cons
Some times items are hung out of reach due to display
Godawful
When working in management I was diagnosed with cancer, the area manager saw this as an opportunity to muscle me out of the store into a store several miles away, I was constantly badgered about when I could start work again whilst going through treatment, this caused me great stress and money difficulties.

Area managers are not properly trained, use bully boy tactics, belittling staff at all levels in front of customers and other staff members.

Stores are essentially used as secondary warehouses, meaning organisation of stock is nearly impossible.

Area manager regular told staff not to worry about theft, health and safety issues, didn't follow procedures.

Outsourced customer service essentially means they were there to process orders and knew nothing about the product.

If you are a capable worker you'll be lumped with several jobs to carry out at once, whilst the store manager sits in the back or stands by the till checking their social media.

Only pro is that they're willing to allow anyone to climb the ladder, resulting in extremely under-qualified management and HR.
Fast paced
Very fast paced in central london, long hours
The management is not great and is always changing. They always expect too much from you. It was also very boring.
Worst Management I have ever dealt with.
Your trained in tills and told how to approach someone and how to do half price add ons. Shown how to lock up a few times then left to your own devices. I didn't feel confident at all. Everything I tried to do was wrong , asking for help was also wrong. I was on delivery for the first few weeks but usually delivery meant you unpack from boxes( remove packaging) , hang it then take it out to sales floor staff to cube and distribute/place. Sales floor staff refused to help me so I did 4 jobs at once.If anyone else did delivery they got help. If there was a cash error or something didn't add up it was basically sort it out by replacing money yourself or fill out a form as to why its missing. It was advised that people that work there replace the money that goes missing to save on paperwork.I was never shown how to investigate if money or something doesn't add up. I saw the training booklet once when i started my first day we never touched it after that even though I was there for a year. So you get taught the basics and your supposed to teach yourself the rest. I had never dressed mannequins or moved shop displays around. I was left alone on several occasions , thefts happend I wasn't asked if I was okay. No CCTV in any mountain warehouse. Which meant I was alone to cover lunches alone a lot. You had to serve customers , sell shoes / assist customers and refill / restock the floor alone. I was trained as a Supervisor on the basics as stated above. When I asked for more training or further questions I never received help I was frowned at or disciplined for not being shown. They - more...
Fun workplace, poor company management
Love working with the gang, but they've messed up my contract, then reduced my hours! Pay is £8.21 (min wage). Looking for another role unless things change!
Nice staff pushy management.
Very fast paced work environment .Standing in one place behind till for lengthy periods hard on feet. Constantly pricing and replenishing stock Need to be to climb ladders a lot of stock very high up.
Only good if you’re stepping stone to somewhere else. Worst company ever worked for.
Managers paid around £20 thousand. Other retail shop managers paid up of £35 thousand. So that the calibre of manager you are going to get. Someone whos happy to take so little salary. Managers don’t stay long as they are using this easy to get into post as experience to move onto somewhere better. That reflects on shop staff .my shop have zero motivation who would on minimum wage??

Rotas changed at short notice and managers favourites will get their favourite shifts.

No safety rules in place skipped all the time our staff tripped on rubbish on ground floor basement stockroom left piled up by fire exit area manager came staff was sacked day later.

Because the manager is paid so low they are under constant stress from manager above them to impress them and they will feed shop staff trite pretend to be one of the gang when really they are just keeping you sweet. They have no experience and no surprise otherwise they would go for better paid shop manager job !!

Staff turnover at nearly all stores is high you can even check this.
Horrible company!
Hard manual work most of the time. The rest of the time you are getting spoken down to by rubbish mangers that do anything to get out of pulling there own weight. you can also be stuck on the till all day under pressure to hit KPI targets. This company is a shamble... There never organised with there rotas, they will bring you in last second, even though you have plans. worst of all the mangers get away with murder.
Do Not Work Here *especially students/POC*
Working here was trash. I worked here whilst in college doing my A-levels, I experienced racial slurs from management as well being spoke down to. Your hard work is never commented on but any chance to critique and management are on it. If it wasn't the actual management at the store specifically the managers, one who ended up leaving because the whole store came together to complain - who also barked at me with customers hearing the whole thing, the other being clueless, rude and subtly racist who still works there now. the other managers from different stores are the worst, one who said mountain warehouse shouldn't hire anyone with an accent and another who called me a racial slur alongside whitesplaining my culture to me. The workplace culture is toxic and one of the hardest parts is making friends with the lovely staff and then have management rip them apart until they all consider leaving.
Pros
money I guess
Cons
hours are unfair, small break room, rude management, lazy area management, racists.
Good
Great place to work. Great team. really friendly. hard working. always something to do. Great atmosphere. Great staff discounts. Great products. Good amount of uniform
Awful
Worst place I’ve worked constantly belittled and overworked. Head office were a joke. Constantly introducing ridiculous timescales for staff to try and work towards with last minute changes.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mountain Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6