Mountain Warehouse Employee Reviews

Great Company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey17 April 2018
Great company to work for with a real family feel, progression is always available as long as you work hard.
Very flexible if you are a parent. Would definitely recommend
Donkeys on Blackpool beach have a better work day
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cumbria16 April 2018
Expected to get all jobs done when working alone all day
Bare minimum pay
Rota changes constantly
Wages are a joke
Worked like dogs
Given bare minimum to no breaks
If you brown nose your manager you’ll probably get promoted.
Have to sell over priced cr*p at till
Given “warnings” if you fall below a certain % of sales with no half price cr*p sold
Avoid
being skint and jobless is better then working for theese clowns
Pros
50% staff discount that’s the only pro
Cons
Beat you down emotionally 5 days a w
Good [lace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth12 April 2018
good place to work, very busy, some development f you work hard, people are generally nice, customers are usually good, some are short tempered, good customer service experience
Pros
Busy
Cons
Low pay
Great Place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Rushden, Northamptonshire19 March 2018
I really enjoy working for Mountain. I’ve worked for several big outdoor retailers and I can honestly say this is the best one I’ve worked for. They have a much more relaxed approach to things, don’t get me wrong, you have KPI’s Targets to meet. But if you develop a good team then you’ll nail them week in week out.

The company is constantly growing and restructuring, in the short time I’ve been here a lots already changed, and I’m really looking forward to where they’re going!

Before I took this job I read a lot of reviews on here about Mounatin and it scared me, but I took the plunge and SO GLAD I DID! Here’s to more successful years with a great company.
Pros
Great Bonus, Good Salary
Cons
Can be a lot of workload to do
Company ok to work for.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakewell4 March 2018
It is a hard working busy environment which is usually faced paced. if you are not up to speed then you are not given as many hours. Tend to give low wage or zero hours contracts.
Don't waste your time.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon26 February 2018
Worked here for 8 months after my travels abroad. It was okay to begin with, but I soon realised that any hard work you put in wasn't given back.

I was offered a supervisor role after my 3 month probation period, but it was only for 20hrs a week and the pay rise was only 30p extra an hour from £7.50.
So I really didn't see the point or responsibility in it.

For an outdoor retailer that has branches all across the country and abroad it doesn't add up that they can't pay any hard working staff commission or any kind of bonus scheme. No matter how many rucksacks, boots, jackets you sell you won't be given anything extra. The most you'll be given is ONE set of free uniform when you arrive and 50% Staff Discount, but that's literally it. Half of the gear in the store is of poor quality and doesn't last very long either.

Part of me wishes I hadn't worked here for this long, but sometimes finding new work can be difficult, especially in certain areas of the country. Unless you are desperate or a student looking for casual hours then this might do, but otherwise I would strongly advise looking further a field.

Head office needs a rethink!
Pros
50% Staff Discount
Cons
Minium wages, no commission, no real career progression
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London15 January 2018
working there was a great experience however the shop itself wasn't earning enough money and had to be closed down and also the management wasn't the best other than that working there was alright.
Pros
changeable hours
Cons
short breaks
basic pay for a lot of work especially when you have to deal with the general public on a daily basis
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skipton28 December 2017
the company is a good place to start for the first few months after that it gets very tedious, you get no bonus for meeting weekly targets.

If you want a job to get yourself out of unemployment then yes it's not the worst but far from the best.

They expect a lot for very little pay and be prepared to have a cut in hours suddenly as I have found out the hard way especially near Christmas when 95% of people need the hours..
Pros
You learn to be very patient with people
Cons
minimum wage considering what you have to do
Brilliant company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham28 December 2017
The store I worked in was small so ran very smoothly. The staff are treated with respect majority of the time. the hardest part of the job were the customers the company rarely made life hard.
Hard work, minimum pay
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Covent Garden18 December 2017
Not enough gratification, fulfillment or money considering the low wages and sales targets. Constant tasking and price changes mean that customer service is neglected and sometimes impossible to maintain.
The shift patterns are awkward times (central london) and you only get 30 mins unpaid break.
Two positives - 50% staff discount, and the main one - meeting lovely co-workers which just about make the job bearable.
Pros
Colleagues and staff discount
Cons
Pay, shift, hours, no incentives
Terrible place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Longbridge, West Midlands7 December 2017
Terrible pay. Minimum wage at best
Managers do nothing then moan nothing gets done
Employ staff on low contracts then expect them to be able to do full time when they feel like it
Typical day is unpacking 20 boxes of mouldy clothing and hanging them up...never a dull moment
Expect 4wks notice
Never pay you correct
You learn nothing
No one wants to train you
No one asks for your imput
The most enjoyable part of the day is going home
Pros
50% staff discount
Cons
Attempting to sell Cheap stock at high prices
Negative work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland5 December 2017
Very poor pay, used to have breaks but cut them down to make more money. Management was poor, and a lot of bullying. There was no care for employees, only making money and hitting targets.
Pros
Set shifts
Cons
Terrible pay
Not a great experience
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Morpeth1 December 2017
They expected me to be hitting sales targets from week 1 of working there, even though they knew I had no experience of customer service and had just been taught how to use the till. They really want you to push those half price items on the tills that, as a consumer myself, I am aware nobody is really interested in. There are also sales targets for these items.

They want you to lead a sale, as in you leading a sale from a customer walking through the door to the till. This can be a bit uncomfortable if the customer just wants to browse like most of us. It is not a relaxed environment for somewhere that didn't have loads of customers throughout the day.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
All of the above
Innovative conpany
Manager (Current Employee) –  UK21 November 2017
Always trying something new.. good wholesome clothes for the out door enthusiast and the wishful thinking dog walker. Great for Duke of Edinburgh participants and globe trotters alike.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Pay is fairly typical of retail.
Stressful work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brecon, Powys3 November 2017
found this place a very stressful place to work as everything was done unnecessarily fast. i wasn't given much hours, and ended up leaving after a short time.
A company that keeps growing
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Murton, Durham17 October 2017
As a manager it required a lot of commitment. Its not judt a 9-5 job, you do tend to take it home. You can get out and about covering other stores, which is always great fun
Pros
Great discounts
Friendly place.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Batley, West Yorkshire10 October 2017
A nice place to work but probably not the place if you wish to progress to upper management. It was several years ago though so this may have changed.
Pros
friendly staff and management
Cons
poor wage for assistant manager
I enjoyed working here, but it was temporary
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  London27 September 2017
I worked for this company from home, hours that worked for my family and me. They were very supportive, any question i had i could call up my line manager who would b more than happy to help.
Pros
Worked when it suited me
Cons
Was not permanent
Relaxed but slapdash
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 August 2017
Relaxed and you can get away with working the bare minimum, but you get nothing for working hard here. If you buddy up to a manager you might be promoted, doesn't matter if its deserved. If you don't get on expect a reduced rota. If the products don't work you still have to sell them. The infamous trench foot incident is well known among older members of staff.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Poorly paid, poor products
Hard work for minimum wage.
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  South East17 July 2017
Difficult to find balance between customer service and the endless ticketing and price fluctuations.
Impossible to get time off when physically sick, let alone when dealing with issues affecting mental well being. If you're not bleeding then good luck trying to take a sick day!
Very little positive feedback, if any. Out of 2+ years employment, probably received positive feedback twice.
Surely an outdoorsy company would be environmentally mindful and find ways to minimise the wasteful ticketing processes. Hundreds of paper tickets wasted and discarded every week, very painful.
Pros
50% staff discount.
Cons
Long relentless shifts, very little positive feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mountain Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.