Moulton College Employee Reviews

Worst place ever
Learning Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire26 April 2018
This was an awful place to work. Management could not manage a team. People on bank throughout departments. Rubbish money. No care for employees wellbeing.
productive, busy work place
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moulton9 April 2018
i really enjoyed working here in a busy workplace. fitted around my studies. learned about cash handing and opening and closing procedures. loved working with others.
Pros
worked around my studies
Cons
not long term
It can be very productive. Lots of skills that you can learn.
Lecturer/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Moulton, Northamptonshire1 March 2018
It's very busy to work at Moulton, but you can learn lots. Your typical day would be to get work at 8:15 and have a brief look at what you got to do for the first lesson. You may have challenging moments when you've got to cover for others.
Most students are nice to teach, but there are some challenging students in class.
Pros
Colleagues and beautiful scenery
Cons
N/a
Would never work for Moulton again
Learning Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moulton, Northamptonshire5 February 2018
I worked as a learning support assistant and would never recommend the place to anyone, be it support stuff or the lecturers.
Constantly overloaded with work with no support from management. The main strategy to manage staff is to bully the staff, no praise is given and no support offered.
Pros
Cons
Pretty much everything
Student
Student (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes10 January 2018
Moulton College is not really what I expected, There was far more detailed studies that I found challenging due to the lack of support I received. The practical's I absolutely loved, I am really not academic.
Pros
Praticals
Cons
Long travelling distance, lack of support
Do not do it to yourself
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Moulton college5 January 2018
The workplace has a 'sink or swim approach' and there is no time to stop. The staff turnover is crazy high and morale is low. People say you survive moulton.

The students suffer from large class sizes and a lack of individual care / support. They are seem more as finances for the college then valued students wanting to advance into their chosen careers.

The work load you shall have will be insane and the quantity of students per lecturer is beyond Rediculous. The college's expectations of you will be extreme and the work/ life balance/ support will be minimal.

Choose somewhere else where you can be valued, not be over worked and where people like where they work. Choose somewhere where people are not permanently jumping ship and also where you can have a bin in the office...perhaps even a staff room!

Good luck if choose to be a moultoneer!
Pros
Scenery
Cons
Long work hours, high staff turnover, low staff morale, no bins in offices, terrible management, terrible treatment of staff, over crowded staff rooms, impossible staff expectations
Absolutely awful
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Moulton College22 December 2017
I was so excited to start at Moulton and everything about it looked amazing. Then the cracks started to appear. No support whatsoever from my line manager; in their first year my line manager lost 70% of their staff. No communication, constantly watched with unlimited walk in observations that would last nearly the whole lesson and told I had to stay past working hours as it was a business need with no notice. In my department there had been around 90 people leave in 7 years, that goes to show how bad it is with a lot people only lasting a term. I have never felt so worthless, stressed and had constant anxiety. Would not recommend it, no matter how desperate you are to get a job.
fast paced workplace
Dinner Lady (Former Employee) –  Northampton24 September 2017
I learnt a lot about food handling and safety within a working kitchen. A typical day at work would consist of lunch rushes with having to prepare, cook and serve food, clean and maintain dining hall and serve customers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with students, not all, but some can be rude.
really enjoyable
Assistant Technician (Former Employee) –  Northampton24 August 2017
this was my commercial experience really enjoyed this we dealt with a wide range of animals and got to handle a lot too, even was allowed to watch what the vet did at the farm one day and the staff and students were very polite and lovely company
Disappointing
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Main Site26 June 2017
I was really excited to start at Moulton College, the site is set in beautiful grounds and the college facilities are excellent. The college has multiple campuses and over 5,000 students. I was hoping this would be a good opportunity to spread my wings. Sadly, once I took off the 'rose tinted' glasses, the reality of what Moulton has become is sad to see.

Behind the 'glamour' of it's setting is the sad reality that Moulton is stuck in the past. Many of the senior leadership team have been with the college for decades and have forged an 'old boys' network that does not want to change and is closed off to the opinion of others. This is shown in the lack of progress since the last 'requires Improvement' OFSTED report'; the way curriculum staff are treated, spoken to and dictated to (often being 'told off' infront of students and spoken to in a rude and aggressive manner indicative of a 1950's factory floor) and also in the lack of 'progress' in areas of technology, curriculum advancement and student focus.

The college is not in a good place financially either, there have been several restructures to save costs over the last few years and these have been badly handled, resulting in key, hardworking and influential staff being lost to other colleges and then an overall impact on 'the student experience'; which senior managers are so keen to improve, yet seem to never listen to anything they are being told by the student body themselves.

The Managers seem to think the answer to staff retention is to introduce a dress down Friday and shorten the working week, neither of
  more... which has come close to addressing the real reason people leave; no appreciation, no progression and very little support from senior managers. The bullying also needs to stop as it's driving out really good Teachers. Sadly, the college has fell short of the great career opportunity I had hoped it would be.  less
Fun workplace and good people to work with
Garden Centre Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire6 June 2017
My role throughout the holidays was to pick out over 20,000 plug plants that will be potted on and sold on to the general public. The general atmosphere amongst work colleagues is reall good and made working their really enjoyable.
A disgraceful lot to work for.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire23 May 2017
Biggest mistake I ever made was signing up to work here. It's a constant revolving door of people where good staff are bullied out if the management echelons don't think they fit in. Lecturers are massively overworked and stretched to breaking point and it's the students that suffer. Students that have been attending for an academic year are left bemused and completely uneducated. The upper and middle management should be ashamed of themselves. I'd heard bad things but went in with a positive attitude, alas I shouldn't have wasted my time. Do not work here.
temporary administration post in busy office
student admissions and exams administrator (Former Employee) –  registry21 May 2017
A friendly team, who are helpful and quickly involve you in their processes and aims. Supportive of each other and will quickly help out when tasks require immediate action. Developing processes which are achievable/understood by all. Periods of high pressure as demanded by new admissions and exam timetable. Very friendly and helpful student focus
Pros
free parking, flexible working hours
Nice to Study, Not nice to Work at
Lead Representative (Former Employee) –  Northampton13 April 2017
Moulton College is a nice place to study for students, but I would not recommend working there. Senior Management treat their staff horribly and with no respect whatsoever!
DON'T DO IT. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE.
fun and productive.
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire16 February 2017
i learned how to milk cows and how to look after them properly.
the most enjoyanble part was to work with different kinds of animals.
Pros
good people
Awful for academic staff
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Moulton, Northamptonshire9 January 2017
Horrific management.

Used to walk into the office to be greeted with females members of staff crying because the management has belittled them in front of students.

Bullying tactics from higher management to make people feel guilty for only doing "above average" in their job.

Massively overworked.

Contact hours usually over 30 due to staff shortages and sickness.

Can't use any of the College's "selling points" such as the swimming pool.

Amazing people and great staff made to feel inadequate and worthless.
Pros
Good Salary and Colleagues
Cons
Pretty much everything
Fun workplace
Yard Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moulton29 November 2016
There was always jobs to be getting on with which allowed me to build my confidence in tasks. The typical day started early in the morning and ended late in the evening.
Great place for young students
Student (Former Employee) –  Northampton5 November 2016
This college is wonderful for student straight out of school. From my situation (5 years of work between last being in education) it was very patronising and restricting.
Pros
Great education
Cons
aimed at 16 years olds
Don't work here.
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Northampton10 August 2016
I worked here for many years and although looks good on my CV I found it the most challenging position of my career.
Through the years management changed and bullying tactics became the norm. Many staff have had breakdowns and serious issues here that have been swept under the carpet. The students suffer more because of lack of foresight and management support. Students are being taught badly and given non industry standard information. I am shocked that this has not been pulled up by ofsted before now. Moulton College is not the place to work. Don't even contemplate it.
Pros
None. Even the free tea was awful.
Cons
Bullying, long hours and made to give out pass marks when not earned.
Fun and always busy
Part time bar and waiting staff (Current Employee) –  Northampton6 June 2016
Working as part of the function team and bar staff at Moulton College is demanding at times but always a pleasure to work. Using my people skills has allowed me to gain further confidence when interacting with customers. At times the job can be very demanding which has given me more organisational skills and the ability to improve on my multi-tasking skills. The management are very supportive and hours are flexible (I found this a bonus as I am studying at this time).
Pros
You can choose when to work
Cons
work is mainly unsociable hours (weekends and evenings)