Mott MacDonald

Mott MacDonald Employee Reviews

United Kingdom117 reviews
Very good work life balance - very bad career development after Chartership
A wide variety of interesting jobs. very little control over what you work on though. Very little support for career development so can get stuck working on boring projects. Wide range of specialist so can always ask help but very little support to put you on a job if 'you haven't got experience'.
Pros
Very good work life balance - management will also consider your personnel needs
Cons
Very bad career development after chartership
Involved in interesting projects
Mainly working for a client (Anglian Water) for four years. The estimating team was mainly built up of MM people. I was Senior Estimator working with Water & Wastewater, building estimates from high level through to more detailed. As part of the management team I mentored the junior members in all aspects of estimating setting tasks and overseeing their work.
Working in tandem I also estimated for Mott MacDonald as they have many clients requesting remote working, eg. Oil, Gas, Rail, Nuclear, Roads etc.

The culture was good depending on what part and section of the company you worked for, I can't speak for every department.

The most difficult part of the job was the expected travel and time away from family. The most enjoyable part was working with exceptional engineers and generally lovely people.
This company allows bullying AVOID
They allow managers to bully trainees, to the point where there is crying and anxiety. Other colleagues turn a blind eye as they are scared of particular managers.
Used to be a good company to work for
Mott MacDonald used to be a good company to work for - that really cared for its staff. Now all it cares about is the bottom line - despite being employee owned. There is a lot of talk about well being and people being their main asset - but does it actually mean anything?
Good contract
Well managed. Good support from management team. Straight forward contract management.
Mott macdonald treat their staff well, have a good culture. Are concerned about staff welfare and salary etc
no comment
After three and a half years my job sadly and abruptly ended which was very unfortunate. I had enjoyed the diversity of projects and sectors but obviously did not fit into the managements outfit.
Excellent company with great work life balance
I worked for Mott's for 2 years and enjoyed every minute of it.

The work environment was fun and you are constantly learning. The team support was excellent and although we were quiet busy, we always had fun.

For me, the hardest part of the job was when I had to leave, I left due to a situation that arose that was beyond my control.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone as a place of employment.
nothing of that nature as fun working place
Work place was competetive and colleagues were friendly. Management will rate it a two but i think its who is the manager i guess nothing fancy no get
Great consultancy
Being employee-owned frees us to choose the work we take on and focus on the issues that are important to you – and us.

This means that our clients get the very best from us because we want to do a great job – the right job. We’re not in business to make the most profit for external shareholders. There are no external shareholder priorities to influence our decision making. We’re independent in thought and action, which means we advise you what is genuinely right for your business, not what is easy either for you or for us.
Fantastic place to work
Brilliant people, management and work sattisfaction. Management listen to your ideas, allow you to flourish and encourage you to move upwards through the promotional chain..
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Non
Not all it’s made out to be
Experience means nothing in here, you’re sold on the idea of progression & training to help you advance your career, this did not happen. You approach the subject of training & submit a request only to be told it’s not relevant to your progression. Brown nosing seems to get you places & working as part of a team doesn’t exist unless your in one of the many cliques within the department. There is genuinely some really nice people & potential work, however it’s getting the opportunity to meet them & work on them that’s the issue. Operating on a referral scheme to get friends or family in is a great idea to try earn an extra £1500 however when the system is cheated by others it becomes a joke. Benefits are the best thing about the workplace but like I said getting to enjoy them is another thing.
Reasonable place to work at
Not much to say. Nice place to work at with nice team. Management is supportive. It's just another typical day's work with not much of really challenging work.
Would be happy to go back and work for them. I was involved in a wide range of interesting projects mainly for United Utilities AMP6. A very pleasant location and office.
Productive and Professional Workplace
Mott MacDonald is a large company working in many fields of engineering. This means experience can be gained across many disciplines, also having offices all over the world allows the opportunity to travel both within and outside of the UK.
Great Company to work for
Great consultancy to work for. Once you join them, they do engrained in you how to be well organised, efficient with your time and mindful of deadline. During my working period with the company, I acquired a strong work ethics, thanks to the company core values. I highly recommend anyone keen on developing his or her knowledge and skills in engineering consultancy to join Mott MacDonald.
Brilliant place for work experience
The graduates helping us were amazing, really cared, stretched us and gave us helpful feedback. We got a really wide range of experience and aided me in my decision to pursue a career in engineering.
Good culture
Generally very good.

After my boss was ill for a long period I ended up being farmed out to another office and my line manager told me he did not have time to undertake his line management duties as he could not enter the time spent into the time management system. I was permanently on sub-contractor premises, so ended up feeling disconnected from my employer then left to work for the customer.
Pros
Good culture, competent personnel.
Cons
Line Management Time Resource
Good
Mott MacDonald due to the size of the company can offer plenty of support in your career. there is plenty of scope to develop your career at Matt MacDonald.

They use yammer which is very useful in engaging with the wider work force and allows access to an enhanced pool of experience.
Pros
Plenty of support
Cons
Expenses can sometimes take a while to be paid
Leeds Front of House
Lovely professional staff & visitors who were a pleasure to help & look after. Beautiful state of the art office just 5 mins from Leeds train station, on the riverfront - great location. Help with the cost of train fares (if applicable), which are deducted from your salary. Not so lovely Office Manager!

perfect for this
Pros
As mentioned above
Cons
Horrible Office Manager
Fun Workplace
My week placement at mott MacDonald was fun. I was able to experience the different roles in the company and be able to take part in an actual project which was happening.
Productive workplace
Learned a lot, but software training is not immediately available.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mott MacDonald. Our community is ready to answer.