Motorola Solutions

Motorola Solutions Management reviews

A typical day involved design/documentation/testing, emails, reviews, project governance. I learned and used more technical design and development tools, as well as people management, task management, and project management activities. Line management involving personal development was poor but distractions/demands from senior management directly to non-senior subject matter experts was minimised. It was a great environment to work in but there was a lot of conflict of interests at the graduate and junior subject matter level expert level when it came to the allocation of available technical work. The hardest part of the job was the lack of personal development from allocated line managers resulting in slow technical career progression. The most enjoyable part was being involved in different technology developments and learning about new technologies, tools, and test equipment.
The main learing from this role was to never work in back office sales for telecomms. I became the scapegoat for several issues and management was in place through circumstance more than professionalism and experience
If youre looking to work remotely; this is not an ideal company. They would start finding reasons to bring you to work. I was only interested in getting hired as a remote employee. But then they changed the consent.This is the worst company I have worked with. I seriously do not recommend to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Easily modifies initial consent
I built and tested radio receivers, and ran a few different machines that assembled them. I learned alot about working on an assembly line type environment. Management was a big help to me and I got along good with them. I enjoyed working at Motorola, and was sad when my job was no longer needed.
Pros
working at night
Very nice and healthy environment with high level management and modern systems, programs. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with many people from different countries and different cultures, travelling abroad and having many challenges on the active projects. However there are also some difficult parts when it comes to high level requests from different customers but this aspect drives me to improve all the time and to find new ways to respond to these requests.
Pros
flexible working program
Motorola continues to reduce the UK resources and has announced closure of it's flagship premises in Basingstoke. What is left of senior management are trying hard to raise morale in an environment that is under imminent threat of reallocation and redundancy. Motorola have convinced themselves that they must move to London to increase their profile in the city but at what cost to the UK business. The most difficult part of the job was the perpetual need to make everything seem positive & up-beat as the American masters don't like negativity. Those left doing the jobs of the many already departed are working in a highly stressed environment that guarantees nothing to anyone. It's become a culture of watching one's back, saying nothing and protecting personal knowledge bases to the detriment of all new hires trying to learn. So many data bases with old data and few left to update material. There simply are not enough people to support the needs of the UK business and the constant erosion of skilled, experienced people will result in customer dissatisfaction and make meeting financial targets extremely challenging. I conclude by saying, "Remember this is Europe and we should not be judged by the success of the N American market. It's a totally different market including the technologies and customer mindsets."
Pros
Good remuneration while it lasts
Cons
Basingstoke is turning into a ghost town
Impressive history which ultimately failed due to bad management decisions. Great workplace and work/life balance along with opportunities to be seconded abroad if willing to. Bring it back to life....
Shrinking sales and workforce. Inconsistent leadership and direction, so difficult to make a difference Big installed base Expensive product saturated market
A typical day would be answering vendors queries either by telephone or email. Reconciling vendors statements on a daily basis contacting them if required for any missing invoices which were not received. The management were approachable when necessary. My co-workers were approachable when it came to work related issues and were also nice people to work with. The hardest part of the job was month end when I had to ensure the purchasing card statements (100+) were sent out to the relevant people and returned so that these could be reconciled for the month end books. The most enjoyable part was the variety of work which I was involved in.
Pros
Monthly team building events off site
Cons
Stressful at month end
Terrible management by terror. Lack of surface mount technology expertise causing chaos, terrible yields and too many failures. Inexperienced management kept the lines going producing tons of garbage.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Hated every minute of it
A typical day at work will be managing the staff breaks, making sure staff members are in the right areas. Also I was in charge of ordering new stock and managing the stock levels of the whole store. I have learned how to manage people people and how to deal with customer complaints. The management were friendly but not very resourceful. My co-workers were very helpful. The hardest part of the job was when key employees called in sick we had to get cover for them. The most enjoyable part of my job was the friendly staff I have met and made friends with.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not being able to proceed further
Overall a good company to work for. Always plenty to learn in an ever changing environment. Management and co-worker very professional and helpful at all times. Although the work is demanding the rewards are well balanced too
Pros
Easy commuting distance
Cons
good reputation with customers, enjoyable worktoo many mediocre people in too senior positionsself imposed pressure to work long hours
Pros
the will to get things done
Cons
mediocre/out of depth managers exist
A typical day at Motorola stated at 08:30. Contractually, I was to begin work at 09:00 but I learnt early on that that I was to start earlier. My main job role was administrator for the London Underground project. I was in charge of incoming and outgoing correspondence, document control and booking training for engineers to enable them to enter the London Underground. Also, I was responsible for recording and sending off site old documents. My typical work day ended at 17:00 however, I was at the office much later at weekends in order to ensure deadlines were kept on target. Management and my co workers at Motorola were approachable and I felt part of a team. Often charity events, that involved cycling or human table football were held and it was great to join in.
Pros
ride to work scheme
Cons
contract work only