Mothercare Employee Reviews

Awful
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 May 2019
Have worked here for some time now. Most of the staff are lovely as are some of the managers. On the other hand you’ll get treated like rubbish mostly every day and the pay is terrible. They change your shifts without informing you and expect you to come in. Management talk about you behind your back as do the staff. Overall it’s just run very poorly and would not recommend
Pros
Some of the staff
Cons
Bad pay
Inequality
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shirley10 May 2019
Although everything would run smoothly, management were very bossy and would promote inequality. That is, some employees had to do more work than others.
Overall good first job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 April 2019
Overall Mothercare was a very good first job. As I learned loads of different skills as well as all the training I received such as Car Seat Training. Very productive place to work, no day is the same and mostly you work with good people (co-workers and managers)

However, like in many work places there is a lot of talking behind peoples back and not everyone is treated the same. The pay is shocking if you are under 18, so would not recommend that.
fun place to work
Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Colliers Wood25 April 2019
Exciting place to work, everyday is different. Training and development is excellent with plenty of opportunities to have extra training. Regular performance reviews.
Not a great company to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn17 April 2019
Mother care unfortunately love mothers to be and new mothers that come in and buy for there expected arrival
But they are not Mother friendly for their employees
Pros
Discount off
Cons
bad hours
Great
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  The Grafton Centre, Cambridge6 April 2019
Typical day was quite busy. You'd either be cleaning, tidying up the clothes or at the tills. I've learnt to have patience and understand people I would normally struggle understanding. I also have learnt how to work in a team.
Pros
Gained experience in work place. Gained Customer Service experienced.
Cons
Little pay.
Great workmates
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Northampton2 April 2019
In addition to the poor location, work without my comments. Teamleaders very nice and helpful. I worked 40 hours a week plus a overtimes. Safety at a high level.
Pros
Lot of break
unproductive
Sales associate, Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  Solihull1 April 2019
Worked four hour shifts at a time, 3/4 times a week with no break over a one month period as a christmas temp. Management did not till train me so the shift consisted of cleaning the shop floor and sorting out click and collect orders. Upon arrival i signed in, put my belongings away in the staff room then went down to the shop floor with a walkie-talkie and ipad. I checked the rota to see what my job role for my shift was and it was mainly click and collect which was me just standing by a desk waiting for someone to collect an order they had purchased online. It was a very quiet part of the store so it madse the time go by slowly. Staff were quite rude and unapproachable, so asking for help was a struggle as they'd laugh or not be very helpful. Management were nice but weren't helpful in terms of giving me more hours or till training me. I didn't learn much and had to ask people to give me jobs to get on with as my role wasn't sufficient. The hardest part was the boredom and the rude colleagues and the most enjoyable part was leaving as it wasn't a great experience.
Pros
friendly customers
Cons
not enough hours and rude staff
The job itself was great, there’s a lot to learn-it’s a great experience but management brings it down. They were rude with horrible attitude.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  London South East, Greater London29 March 2019
They pick their favourites and was incredibly rude about some employees (calling them names,discriminating age and race.) An extrememly foul mouth and a lot of threatening of violence and bullying coming from management! Which is not professional AT ALL and DISGUSTING behaviour! They didn’t care at all about any of the employees already having children and their individual needs for different hours or days. Due to their disgusting rudeness and lack of being a manager many people left. If it wasn’t for certain management I’d still be there today as it was the perfect job in my eyes.
Pros
Good length break, opportunities for over time, great experience.
Cons
Management.
Very long days and sometimes not very rewarding
Car seat Safety & Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen28 March 2019
A typical day would start at 7am in the back store room waiting for the delivery lorry to arrive with cages and pallets of stock for us to unload and store away in the warehouse before business hours open at 9am
Sometimes the delivery lorry would not arrive until after 9am which meant sometimes we would have to leave someone alone to work the entire delivery while the rest of us opening up the shop.

Just before the shop opens we have a quick tidy up and have a look around before we open the doors and let the customers in. After that its a normal retail day of helping customers choose prams, buggies, car seats and all manor of accessories.

In terms of advancing in the store and increasing your pay, you must be able to take on more responsibility and cover more depts. however i found that management would increasinly find little nip picks which might prevent you for getting that pay upgrade which was frustrating to no end.
I was contracted for 27 hours but on average i would work 38hours per week.
I rarely tried to take holidays as i discovered that if i would lose all those extra hours of pay and recieve basic wage. which means that i lose money anytime i went on holiday

Also when it came time to leave the company they contractally demaded i work a 4 week notice despite only working for the company for 2 years
Pros
Small team, but good fun to work with
Cons
Loss of earning when you take holidays, management create loop holes to halt payprogress
Very friendly environment
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  London22 March 2019
The environment is very friendly and there is also a very cheap restaurant for the employees. The IT department is not very large, but everybody gets to know each other.
Enjoyed every day!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge9 March 2019
I have worked for Mothercare for 18 years. My store is closing this month, so I'll be made redundant.
I've enjoyed my career with Mothercare, starting from a weekend sales advisor I recieved continuous support and investment that allowed me to progress with the business.
I am only leaving the business because there is no alternative roles for me transfer to, that are reasonably located.
Pros
People. Pay. Customer.
Cons
Product range. IT systems.
Productive, enjoyable place to work.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Mothercare7 March 2019
Mothercare was a great experience that allowed me to collect new computer design skills and meet some amazing designers for the company. Everyone was very friendly and always having an upbeat attitude when coming into work.
Pros
Great food.
Cons
Long hours sat in an office.
Amazing
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire1 March 2019
Fun and interesting. Always working and organising but short breaks. Understanding managers who are always there as a manager and friend. Colleagues are a delight.
Pros
Babys
Cons
Customers
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire28 February 2019
Working in Mothercare was a good experience. It built my confidence up and it was a job where you enjoyed meeting new people. In the job there was a lot to do from stacking selves and meet and greet customers.
Fun place to work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh26 February 2019
It was an enjoyable environment to work, however, the management were not always approachable and they took their frustration out on staff. The customers were always cheerful and they used to brighten my day.
Sales Assistant
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Telford29 January 2019
Part Time sales assistant, working across all departments within the Store. I was involved in restocking shelves, stock take, selling products to Customers. Trained to fit Car Seats and demonstrate Transport items to Customers.
ok
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Yeovil28 January 2019
Started at 6am till 10am

did this job for 2 weeks as it was temp job
the people i work for was good made new friends in my role
was to know what cleaning stuff i was using but got surport with staff
getting on with the team
Avoid this company
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire27 January 2019
As a failing business this company has now put money making before the welfare of it's customers and employees. I only worked here for a short time and it was horrendous, management is a joke and the rotas only given a week in advance but were sometimes changed without you being informed so work/life balance is non-existent. Everybody was depressed and off sick with stress and anxiety, they expect the world from you but give nothing in return. Constantly undermined by management and never once heard a thank you, staff would be scared to talk to each other and if caught they would be told off like children. Very little training given into the safety of the products that were being sold and if management were in a bad mood they would take it out on you. Often heard confidentiality being broken so you could not trust anyone, especially management. Never felt so worthless in my life, I would rather scrub toilets than work for this company again, all the good members of staff will eventually leave and this company will go to pot, and rightfully so. PLEASE do not work for them if you have a choice.
Pros
I left
Cons
Not good for your mental health
Customer Sales Advisor - Unit (Current Employee) –  Harlow22 January 2019
Most enjoyable part of working for Mothercare is helping the mums and dads to be with their purchases, as sometimes this could be their first child and they have no idea what they need so just advising them builds a relationship which makes them return when they have had their baby to show off their bundle of joy. I have had extensive training on the laws and regulations of car seat fitting an really enjoy this part of the job unfortunately the least enjoyable is the heavy lifting of the car seats which can be up to 20kg.
Pros
Good work/home life
Cons
Heavy lifting