Mothercare

Mothercare Employee Reviews

United Kingdom511 reviews
Productive and Happy Enviroment
Good Place to work Management excellent at shop level, higher up in the company not so good that's why we went into administration. Learnt a lot throughout my career but unfortunately no outside qualification gained as all training was in house.
There’s a great company somewhere here
I worked at Mothercare for the best part of the decade.

The people in your immediate team are generally some of the nicest people you would ever meet, incredibly supportive and friendly.

The senior leadership team however, are not so great. Want the world delivered with no budget. Constantly changed their mind and sent out mixed messages.

It’s probably quite telling that during an employee satisfaction survey, the results were suppressed for a while, with a limited set then revealed and the activity never revisited. There were full versions floating around the office - the true results were an open secret, but the company decided to just act as if it was all rosy.
Avoid at all costs
Awful experience working for Mothercare. Management were horrendous, only looked out for themselves. Did not value staff members or deal with customer complaints properly. Numerous times I was verbally abused by both the store manager and customers. HR did nothing, investigating managers did nothing. Corrupt company and I’m glad they’ve closed down. Pay is also ridiculous for under 18s.
productive and friendly atmosphere
Only leftn as redundant due to closure otherwise I would have continued beyond retirement. The structure and communication were excellentand the management caring till the end
Tough but sometimes rewarding
Working for Mothercare was nothing like the serene atmosphere you may encounter as a customer (well at most, off-peak, times). The allure quickly wears off when some customers turn on you because (naturally) you're not an encyclopaedia of baby care knowledge after training. Also, I experienced racism, physical inappropriateness and plain abuse as a CSA here from customers. I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't mention the kind, grateful customers that made it all worthwhile and truly made me sane.

In terms of workplace culture there were a lot of staff and for the most part the vast majority of colleagues were a pleasure to work with. Management was mixed (and of course person-specific); at times they'd be helpful and pleasant, at times they'd be unfairly deflecting blame on us, deceitful and moody yet quick to share our respective individual successes to their superiors.

The job itself involved doing various tasks beyond the imagination such as organising the stock room, doing overnight sales preparation and an extremely early morning audit. The primary attribute required in this role was being a knowledgeable people person, approaching every customer with kindness.

All in all, a place that toughened me up which makes my experience here bittersweet.
Even though it’s shut down I liked working there
It is a good job. Gives you a lot of skills than your average retail shop especially if your on Home and travel. There were times it was fast paced yet times where it was dead.
Mothercare
I enjoyed working for Mothercare and my employment only finished due to Mothercare ceasing to trade.
Therefore I cannot recommend employment with them now.
Brilliant!
I really enjoyed my time at Mothercare it was a shame it all had to end, with the collapse of Mothercare I find my self looking for a new job. Working for Mother meant you could really build relationships with customers and their families, I enjoyed it enormously!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Mothercare?
no longer trading
Mothercare was a great place to work and I would still be there if they hadn't gone into administration.

No day was the same, that's what made my job so enjoyable. The joy I got from customers returning to show us there little babies was amazing.
Fun to work
Lovely staff shame it went under as feel it was a great place to work friendly people
Great experience

Fair pay

Management good

Freezing stockroom

Thanks
The work team within mothercare was enjoyable,
Mothercare was a vibrant and enthusiastic work place, with a wide range of products that brought in customers from all walks of life and backgrounds, as it was geared towards babies and young children the store was very much a happy lively place to be
fun workplace
Friendly greeting to mothers/ parents. Management worked with us on the shop floor and by working side by side we had a good working relationship between all employees.
Hard work but a great place to work.
I enjoyed working for mothercare, there was great team work.

It was hard work.

But good work.

Had some lovely customers and some difficult ones too..
Disgusting
Management let you get bullied and don’t care about you’re health you never got praise for Doing well and you always got told off even when you were doing the right thing.
Lovely it’s a shame it’s like that
Lovely company ...great people shame it’s gone into administration.

Bring back the good old era of the shops.

Lovely company, great quality of clothes and products
Pros
Discoubt
Rewarding enjoyable job
Start at 8am when tills were counted daily reports printed . Any replenishment that was needed from the day before to make shop presentable for opening at 9am. Team brief at 9am keeping staff up to date with daily and weekly sales figures. Briefed on any new till procedures, store promotions that had launched, break times and what area of the shop we were responsible for throughout the day.
We all got on working together as a team which I always think is vey important helping each other out where possible. Management were always approachable if needed, although we would always try and work on our own initiative.

We had a lot of different shoppers. There were the first time mums to be who wanted advice and demonstrations of prams etc, also the second or third time mums who knew what they were after. We heard a lot of happy stories in our day but there were also the sad ones too where we showed sympathy for the parents . I would say this was the hardest part to deal with bur the most enjoyable was helping new parents in their journey to being ready for their little ones arrival. There were a lot of regular customers who we built up a good rapport with being able to chat to them and their children even getting to know some of the children by name. Unfortunately the company went into administration or I planned to stay there until I retired as I enjoyed my role here.
Pros
Staff discount, good team
great work force
I worked at mothercare for just over 3 years. I left during this time on maternity leave but was accepted straight back into the team. I loved all those I worked with and really enjoyed my job.
Pros
great people
Cons
made redundant
Great place
Too bad the place has been shut down.
It was a great place to work , great shift , money.

Great and friendly people , you get help from everyone.

I love to work there.
Fantastic place to work
I absolutely loved working for Mothercare, I was there for 5 years, right until the day the business unfortunately closed, always something to do, never bored because your always doing something different. Fantastic pay with fantastic breaks! My manager was also fantastic and would do anything to help!
Amazing employer
Great experience throughout the years. A lot learned and a lot achieved despite current retail market in the UK. Online retailer were offering better prices for new customer habits.
Great development.
Worked with the store manager driving sales also working with the team to achieve all kpi.
Working in a fast paced environment.

Customer service was key
Pros
Developing the team to a high standard in customer service
Cons
Working long hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mothercare. Our community is ready to answer.