MKM Building Supplies Ltd Employee Reviews

Featured review
MKM Building Supplies Ltd selected this as a representative review
Office staff (Current Employee) –  East Yorkshire6 November 2018
A great company to work for, very people orientated with a friendly family feel culture.

Opportunities for progression and good benefits - MKM really care about their people and look after them
Hard work wasn't recognised;
HGV driver c/w HIAB (Former Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire7 November 2019
It was frustrating to be doing the work and going the extra, whilst two colleagues did less than the minimum that was expected of them and management were inept at dealing with them.
I tried getting management to deal with the situation, but they were too feeble.
That branch lost two conscientious workers!
MKM Glasgow shocking running of a workplace
Spoon lover (Former Employee) –  Glasgow5 November 2019
Some great lads who are messed about by incompetent management and company directors. Promise you a rise after 6 months it never happens make folk worry for their job and thrive off chaos.

Would be a great place to work if they stopped interfering and then blaming yard staff for their mistakes then firing them.

Also losing customers hand over foot because of mistakes with orders stay clear.
Brilliant company
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Burnley, Lancashire7 October 2019
Brilliant place to work, people are great management are fab.... a great place to work lots of opportunity and the culture is really good. Flexible and they really care for their staff.
awful management and staff
Accounts entry (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire21 August 2019
I worked as a Temp and was asked to leave after the 8th day as my work wasn't up to standard. Was asked to stay and do the filing before I left.
Absolute disgrace

Work there at your peril
One of the directors was my ex travis boss.
Yard/ relief driver (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire17 August 2019
Didn’t want me there from day 1 only the fact I knew quite a lot of the lads there who said they wanted me there so I went, lasted 2 and a half months till one of the drivers there stuck his ore in and got me sacked for running over his straps and slings he left under the back wheel of his wagon and shot off home. The problems they sacked me for were not gross misconduct or a severe breach of my written contract.
Friendly and welcoming
Accounts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire15 August 2019
I have been working at MKM for two years and have enjoyed the time i spend here.. The team work well together and make for a happy environment. We are worked hard because they are always busy and expanding which means a good future.
Loved It
Kitchen, Bathroom & Bedroom Showroom sales Manager (Former Employee) –  King's Lynn15 July 2019
Loved my Work Collegues, Loved the Job, great place to work.
Pros
Flexabilty
Cons
Awful place to work if you are a woman
General admin and filing (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire10 July 2019
I started here back in March 2019 , it’s was ok to start with , but then it went down hill , I was spoken to like something that you tread in , it was awful, so today I walked out.
Absolute cowboys
Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire14 June 2019
Management were an absolute joke, no idea about transport and the legalities, if your not in the little cilque of favourites you have no chance. The branch manager singled out and forced out a member of staff for things his 'little mates' were doing and then came after me for sticking up for him. The wages are rock bottom with no chance of progression.
Pros
Cons
Poor wages and poor management
Don’t go near them
HGV Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Elgin23 April 2019
I was employed as an HGV driver at the recently opened branch in Elgin , in the beginning I saw it as a fresh challenge and I was keen to learn new skills on the hiab etc, but I am a great believer in slow and steady wins the race as I have never used hiab cranes before and I’m sure most people would understand that taking some time to do the work in a safe and professional manner is better than going like the clappers and risking damage to property and or injury to myself or others I also would drive the truck within speed limits as we all know the police and DVSA are all out to get us lol, I’ve been a smoker for many years along with another lad who is there and we were singled out because of this which isn’t very fair we would also be given “ job creation “ tasks when it was quiet one of which was sweeping up in the rain while everyone else was inside standing about laughing and joking with the cliques, if you decide to darken their doorway watch out for AR/NM, I was dismissed because they heard I might have been moving on,
I came into work 20 mins early every day I didn’t like to work much past 5pm because there is no overtime so there was no incentive for working late , carrying out deliveries in the van was a joke expecting customers to help one man lift heavy items into their homes, as they wouldn’t send 2 people in the van
Pros
Cons
Hiab training was a refresher course, never used one before
enjoy going to work
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Driveryork31 March 2019
I start work at 5-30am I open up the building do all checks on the forklifts then I drive all vehicles out of the building, next about 6am I open gates let any wagon in that need off loading, then at about 7am I will go out and do my deliveries.if you are right by the management they are fair with you.i don't think there is anything hard about the job I suppose if anything it's sitting in traffic.the most enjoyable part of the job is that I'm trusted with the keys and doing the safety checks on the forklifts.
Pros
i get to do so many different jobs
Cons
47+ hours a week
Hard Going, In House Cliques
Kitchen Sales Designer (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 March 2019
The actual company is alright, your face must fit with the boss or you’re on a hiding to nothing. Too many ‘teachers pets’ who will suck up big time to be popular.
Pros
Salary is ok and better if you get full bonus
Cons
Extremely long hours, extra hours with no thanks, bosses attitudes horrendous, occasional bullying by bosses
Hiab driver (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire15 November 2018
HGV Class 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Malton, North Yorkshire6 November 2018
do not waste your time
Forklift Driver / Loader (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh6 August 2018
MKM like to talk big but as a franchise they are nothing but cowboys who will pay you less than what your worth and work you into the ground, whilst hearing bonus this, bonus that which is a chippy on stocktake .

they do not care about health and safety i have had several close calls while there.
Pros
burger van close by
Cons
long hours, heavy work, less than NMW
Fun plave to wok
Sales / yard (Former Employee) –  Honiton, Devon25 June 2018
Was a fun lace to work, had good staff, good experience overall and i would recommend this job to anyone that is in the building trade, benefits are decent as is pay
Productive fun workplace
Yard Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire17 March 2018
Great place to work great staff members and vary high job security I would recomend working here without a doubt and would work there still if the pay where a little higher.
Pros
Good fun colleagues to work with
Cons
The pay could be better
Busy environment to work in.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull1 January 2018
Overall a good company to work for, with good financial benefits if targets are met, but the long hours are tiring. Ultimately, the people make the job.
Pros
Company bonus scheme.
Cons
Long hours.
Employees at Glasgow branch are treated with intimidation
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Glasgow30 July 2017
The worst place I have ever worked by far. Ruled by intimidation. Staff not pulling their weight while others are picked on continuously if their face doesn't fit.A truly depressing place to work. I can't wait to leave. BEWARE!!
Pros
Cons
Everything & everyone
hartlepool branch
Yard Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool2 February 2017
i have placed numerous complaints about the management at the Hartlepool branch. management has no respect for any staff. the manager espects you to do jobs above your ability i have had to go on sick due to this.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MKM Building Supplies Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

MKM Building Supplies Ltd Reviews by Location