MITIE Security Employee Reviews

A typical shift
Shift Supervisor University (Current Employee) –  Medway28 September 2018
Running a shift at the University: Locking up and alarming some buildings. Patrolling the site and conducting a unlock of the buildings. Its very customer service based and involves using access control systems and CCTV.
Great staff long hours
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Sellafield, Cumbria3 September 2018
Your told its 48 hrs, its not.

Days Mon - Fri 6-6 = 60 hrs pw
Shifts Tues - Tues, Fri - Fri = 84 hrs pw
The cut off point for shifts is sun so they class it as 56 hrs pw.

The staff are the best thing about the job.
A lot of really nice crazy people.

The management get no training and as such do not have a clue how to manage.

Virtually no chance to progress.

Lots of favouritism on each team.
Lots of little cliques.

The days internal supervisor gets more work than anyone all teams, even when the teams are in they use and abuse him, letting him do the work they should be doing.

84 hrs a week plus travel takes a lot out of your family life.
If your not in a stable relationship you will loose your family.

The job is easy though but very boring.

Double time for bank hols normal time for any other shifts.

Currently £9.76 ph.
Pros
The staff
Cons
Long Hours
Worked on the same site for 10 + years
SIA Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dorset24 August 2018
Sad to see the site closed down. After many years there the staff became good friends, which I hope will think of myself in the same light,
Was treated like one off the staff, and always had a smile to great me when arriving to work.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Cold in the winter, in my hut.
In my opinion Mitie has good company but it is being poorly run by inexperience line managers
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London29 July 2018
Normally I do nine hours a day from seven o'clock am to four o'clock pm. Before, twelve pm is always full of activities: Making check calls signing in,going on site patrols and perimeter checks and the inspection of visitors sign-in and out books, CCTV Equipment checks and site radio checks after which CCTV Review and monitoring take place.
Recording and reporting of.incidents and site events to management, police, fire service ambulance, and other agencies depending upon the type of incident. Clients' property security, staff security and customer security on site are very important aspects of a typical day at work and trespassers are immediately reported to the police. Key handling and usage are checked and monitored meticulously during access and egress. I learned how to be
punctual to work, how to observe people and their behaviours, vigilant, tidy and proactive.
Above all I learned to be polite and courteous to people.i do report everything to management for solutions and advancement. Hazard recognition and safety procedures i do take seriously and do everything to avoid shortcuts.procedures. I therefore do encourage my work colleagues to do the same.
The hardest part of the job is the disrespectful attitudes from customers management, sometimes from our clients.The most enjoying part of the job is when management and clients recognize my hard work and appreciate what I do and reward me for it..
Goof company to work for
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear26 July 2018
Good company to work for because I just got my sia license and every job I went for need experience and mitie was the only place want to give me the chance to prove I was up for the job I can’t thank them enough for giving me the chance
Zero home life
Sainsburys Security Officer (Former Employee) –  All over London25 July 2018
I loved working for the Sainsburys staff great atmosphere in every store I went to.
I was never giving a managers number in case of an emergency but the manager was able to call me when they needed someone to do over time.
Zero incentives no discounts when in the Sainsbury for lunch.
Zero training.

Was able to train myself on CCTV camera's
The other security guards were great, helpful showed me the ropes as I was provided with zero training.
Pros
Free Uniform
Cons
Zero home life
work place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol25 July 2018
I have work with this company for eight years whiten my time of working with that company it was a good place to work. It was challenging but I enjoy it. However I learn a lot on the company
Learning website also when ever I bought good on the company
cash back website their was a lot of discount.
challenging environment with scope to learn new skills
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  North West23 July 2018
challenging environment with scope to learn new skills
with a multi discipline company with the ability to grow and take on challenging roles within the company
Working on a derelict site
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Knottingley14 July 2018
The best part of the job is the people I work with, team ethics.
The worst part of the job is working nights as the site is derelict and there is no lighting.
Pros
good team
Cons
night shifts
Never EVER work for this.
Messenger (Former Employee) –  Gloucestershire10 July 2018
I cannot describe this shower without copious amounts of profanity. Just to say it made me ill, you will be bullied constantly, favouritism show by management towards their "pals"
Working in Sainsbury's in Yorkshire. Long hours weekends only . No time for family . Never saw mangment . Avoid.
Security (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire1 July 2018
Working weekends only . (Joke) . Why is Sainsbury's only busy then !!!! No family time. Avoid. Don't get me started about holidays . Like pulling teeth out.. can't have them . Unless you book 4/5 month in advance. One day off . Birthdays ect ....... forget it
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
10 hours daily
Lack of management at cumbria
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Cumbria9 June 2018
LONG hours.
12 hr shifts you have to be in for 5.15 but don't get paid till 6.

take you on at 48 hrs but really you do 84 from Tuesday till Tuesday.
but its classed as 56 because the week starts and ends on sundays !!!!!!.

there is a lack of training.

the management are useless. they only look after their favourites and themselves.
if your not one of them they simply do not care.

have 3 days off and get called in for a meeting to explain why you have been off 3 times in a year.

the money is only good because of the long hours.

say goodbye to your family and friends.
Pros
the people you work with
Awful manager colleague communication
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Somerset9 June 2018
Terrible company to work for,rarely if ever saw my area manager and he only phoned when he wanted me to do something for him. Rotas were never done on time or at all so on a Sunday evening you still had no idea what you would be doing for that week. Increasingly expected to travel three hours to and from work on top of a ten hour shift. I would highly recommend that if you want to work in the security industry avoid Mitie and look for a more professional company of which there are many.
Pros
Cons
Poor area managers
Don't work for this company
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 June 2018
This Ops Managers never apreciate how much favour you do for them. After a while forget to treat you with respect.

This company is not good at all. There are so many problems in the company nobody care about it unless you are happy to rise the complain outside of the company.
Worst company ive ever worked for.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Devon23 May 2018
Expectations are high, wages are very low. Managers are always on your back, and always find an excuse to fob you off. Biggest bunch of back stabbers you could ever work for. Everything but the truth comes out of their mouths. Steer clear of the Bristol/Exeter offices.
Pros
Going home after a shift.
Cons
Working for a cowboy outfit.
Just a number
SECURITY SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  london27 April 2018
You are treated just like a number on piece of paper. Again lack of support from the management within the group. Would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
boring workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  London24 April 2018
Its alright to work with mitie but its bit complicated to connect with your manager. Seems manager woudnt like to have contact with their employees. unless they need to.
Pros
free uniform
Cons
long hours, hard to handle pressure
Too much work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen22 April 2018
The company offers rather decent money for retail environment, but the job/life balance is almost non existent. I've met some really cool people working on Sainsbury's contract though.
Avoid at all costs
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Hucknall, Nottinghamshire22 April 2018
Site was good to work at and line manager was ok but higher than that made the experience one I do not wish to repeat.
They do not value their employees at all and don't even bother asking for help with anything. Senior management have no people skills whatsoever
Pros
Cons
Higher management and lack of proper organisation
Not a good company to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire20 April 2018
If you leave company Even after 10 years they will deduct £150 from your last wage for uniform. Management incompetent, never care about staff, no progress, treat staff like slave.
Specially retail section in Leicestershire mangement does not care about staff’s welfare.